DOA5 Demo: Consolidated Feedback

Jefffcore

Stop playing it like DoA4.
It doesn't matter how you play it. lol How can I change my opponents ability to guess out of something? There aren't enough stuns in the game that take away their ability to hold. Sure you have a better chance than 4, but the point is, is that they CAN guess out of everything. Not including Limbos and wall splats.

Raansu

It doesn't play like DoA4 anymore, but people keep treating it as such and looking past everything else. Even those treating it like DoA4 have wrong information like DrDogg with his whiff punishment and hold statements.

ShinMaruku

It's hard for people to get out of habits sometimes it takes months for people to change their statements. Look at Marvel people were sayuing it's ass until now where they say "Ya know it's pretty good" However he may have a few points on playing it like doa 4 since the game does not give him enough information to nor play it so. Now the ball is in Tecmo's hand to bring the demo to some tournies and have testing in the wild as it were.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
In order for that to happen, DOA can no longer rely heavily on guessing or reward a mistake by giving the defender another chance to guess right and escape punishment.

At the same time, it shouldn't remove ALL guessing.

As I've said many times, nothing has to change about the current state of DOA5 in terms of counterhold windows and all of that. All you need to do is add an additional layer on top of the standard DOA system mechanics that allows for competitive players to get around the system.

i.e. what most of the competitive players here have been asking for: tone down the frequency for which a hold can be used over actually changing the hold window itself.

For the record, I'm not a fan of competitive Street Fighter. I think it's a great game and I completely understand why people enjoy playing it at a high level, but I'm a 3D guy at heart and I just don't enjoy playing competitive SF.

That's something you and Rikuto both share. He has had just as much trouble playing SF - or any 2D game for that matter as most were built off of SF2's design.

Also, I'd like to point out that MK9 has problems outside of the block button, but that hasn't stopped it from having WAY more tournaments than DOA has ever had and being at Evo two years in a row. Clearly, MK9 is in a much better position than DOA at the moment.

I believe this happened primarily due to the nostalgia of the "Mortal Kombat in Arcades" that they focused on bringing back. They were able to bring in the casuals who were still there, casuals who remembered the past, and hardcores who have been wanting a return to that past. This was basically the same pull that Street Fighter had in giving a resurgence to the community by going back to a similar play style of Street Fighter 2. I do not think Dead or Alive can pull such a feat off because it's not in the same general social consciousness to pull that off.

This is an interesting comparison. In order to make Smash a viable tournament game, the competitive community had to create almost a completely new game. They were able to do this because of the freedom the game allows in it's options.

I concur with this, the Smash competitive community broke the system down to its core by removing as many variables as it could (items, stages). They worked as a competitive community to help establish rulesets that (mostly) everyone could agree with. Again, a game's competitive worth basically just comes down to the number of players willing to pop down money to play. Focusing purely on the hardcore doesn't guarantee competitive life as there are numerous games in the community that many would say have competitive worth but still don't have a dominant presence as much as MK, MVC, or SF even after a couple months: KOFXIII is one of those I believe, and you can name a few others I'm sure (BlazBlue, Arcana Heart, etc.).

Example: Why is it that free canceling is unsafe, but finishing your string is not? Because they want you to have the "guessing game" at the end of a string and give the defensive player more opportunities to counterhold.

Free canceling is unsafe because the frame disadvantage/advantage is applied upon the end of the recovery animation, and continuing a string overrides playing of the recovery animation. The opponent is in a block stun during that recovery animation though. I would prefer it however if they cut the delay frames in half for each of the strings so it becomes more of a "He will hold the second attack" instead of a "Okay, let's see if he does in fact hold the second attack.... no? okay let me try again... still no? Okay let's go for the finisher..."

Jefffcore

Gimme 4 point holds, more useful stuns, and Busa his crushing ability back and I'm happy.

Edit: Better ground game would be nice, too

Raansu

Gimme 4 point holds, more useful stuns, and Busa his crushing ability back and I'm happy.

Edit: Better ground game would be nice, too

I agree it needs 4 point holds

DoA needs less stuns imo.

Busa's ability to crush is fine.

Meh I hated DoA4's ground game.

Jefffcore

I agree it needs 4 point holds

DoA needs less stuns imo.

Busa's ability to crush is fine.

Meh I hated DoA4's ground game.

I think it needs better stuns, not necessarily less or more, just stuns that you can't hold from. Having less stuns has one problem (It can change). Someone like Busa has 2 NH launchers, both of which are slow and super unsafe. That means he has to get a stun to get a safe launch; not to mention his best launcher doesn't launch from NH.

I loved the ground game, it was a way to keep pressure on someone and reduce their chances of guessing right.

Busa's crushes only crush high now; maybe high mids depending. 8P wont even crush jabs from 0, and 3P+K is super unsafe. (2P+K in DOA4)

Jefffcore

I think it needs better stuns, not necessarily less or more, just stuns that you can't hold from. Having less stuns has one problem (It can change). Someone like Busa has 2 NH launchers, both of which are slow and super unsafe. That means he has to get a stun to get a safe launch; not to mention his best launcher doesn't launch from NH.

Even then, how often are you actually going to get something on NH. You're still gonna be launching from Critical or CH. You could hit them with a jab and get a knockdown from a follow up, but they have the ability to hold that still, and if you get the knockdown, the ground game is weird; the best you get is a whiffed wake up if they do one. Risking getting close to keep pressure by attacking if they don't do a wake up isn't very smart. Busa can teleport atleast.

Raansu

I loved the ground game, it was a way to keep pressure on someone and reduce their chances of guessing right.

Busa's crushes only crush high now; maybe high mids depending. 8P wont even crush jabs from 0, and 3P+K is super unsafe. (2P+K in DOA4)

It needs less stuns. Somewhere on the level of DoA2U and 3 stuns. Part of the problem with DoA4 was practically every attack stunned the opponent and it was ridiculous. Less frequent stuns mean that when a stun does occur the advantage can be better setup for risk/reward situations. This is especially true if you want holds removed from stuns completely.

Jefffcore

It needs less stuns. Somewhere on the level of DoA2U and 3 stuns. Part of the problem with DoA4 was practically every attack stunned the opponent and it was ridiculous. Less frequent stuns mean that when a stun does occur the advantage can be better setup for risk/reward situations. This is especially true if you want holds removed from stuns completely.

I don't understand what you mean.

Raansu

I don't understand what you mean.

i.e. instead of an abundant of stuns like DoA4 I feel they should tone it down to where few moves stuns and the ones that do would be unholdable. Or if they were to stay on track with frequent stuns then give us more true combos such as like if Hitomis 7pkkk string hit on a counter hit it should be a true combo whereas on critical or NH it could still be held.

Keylay

They need to add more stuns similar to Hayabusa :214:P in the demo where the opponent can't counter for the first 35 frames. The animation itself looks like they shouldn't be able to counter because they are getting up from the floor. Looking at ScatteredDreams stun tutorial http://freestepdodge.com/threads/doa4-stun-tutorial.608/ I think that any stun that causes the opponent to loose their footing should have frames where the opponent can't counter. Using the stun names from the video I think stumble stun, sit down stumble, sit down knock down stumble, drunken stagger, sweep stagger, sweep stun, deep critical stun, and ceiling stun should have frames where the opponent can't hold. There are also some water stuns that have similar animations. And I think stuns that cause knock down should not allow holds. I don't know the name of the stun but I've seen it when Hitomi punches the opponent with both fists at the same time. They opponent falls to the floor but they can still hold to stay afoot.

An idea I'm not sure about but could be interesting is breakable normal holds if they keep the 3-point system. The attacker who was countered should get the advantage back after breaking the hold. Advanced Holds should be guaranteed.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
the problem with DOA is that it has its own set of rules and people just dont want to accept it for that. they want every fighter out there to play like street fighter. they just dont understand that the game works absolutely differently and its rules and mechanics differ in terms of what holds higher priority than what.

Yo. I'm one of the best DOA players in the world.

Let that sink in for a moment. In the world.

I know how the game plays. I know how it's different than street fighter, SC4, tekken, KoF, MK, whatever. I also know how to play doa 1, 2, 3, 4, and the 5 demo correctly. I apparently also know how to play DOAD since I got second place in the only real tournament ever held for the game, even though I only played it for about 45 minutes prior whereas most people had weeks of practice.

The point is I play all of these games. I am not ignorant of anything. DOA is bad competitively, and no matter what kind of justifying anyone does for it, it's not going to change this fact.

The people who actually enjoy competitive DOA always, and I mean always fall into one of three camps.

1. They suck ass at other games but excel at DOA, thus giving them a bubble of delusion.

2. They excel at other games, but suck ass at DOA and assume it's better than it is because they can't improve at guessing.

3. They suck at everything but still can't seem to shut the fuck up about how great they think DOA is.

I'm just tired of listening to it all.

I'm also tired of people continue claiming they want a competitive fighting game, but continually quit them like a little bitch every time a good one comes out because "it just wasn't any fun for me."

Let's face it, most of you guys don't actually want a competitive fighting game. That would mean you'd all actually have to be challenged, and do work, and learn, and not be able to guess your way out of every single situation with ease.

So whatever. Let DOA stay your island, oh crazy players. I'll probably never buy the game, but if there is a tournament for DOA 5 that happens to be wherever I'm at i'll be happy to show up and remind you all of just how useless all of your practice in such a game actually is.

That's something you and Rikuto both share. He has had just as much trouble playing SF - or any 2D game for that matter as most were built off of SF2's design.

I've never once had "trouble" playing a 2d fighter. I simply never gave them any of my time.

If I actually cared enough to become good at street fighter I'd be a fucking wrecking ball in that game. Same thing with Marvel, KoF, and even MK.... which when I was dicking around with for all of two weeks, I wasn't too shabby at, if I recall.

ShinMaruku

i.e. instead of an abundant of stuns like DoA4 I feel they should tone it down to where few moves stuns and the ones that do would be unholdable. Or if they were to stay on track with frequent stuns then give us more true combos such as like if Hitomis 7pkkk string hit on a counter hit it should be a true combo whereas on critical or NH it could still be held.

Indeed.

Jefffcore

They need to add more stuns similar to Hayabusa :214:P in the demo where the opponent can't counter for the first 35 frames.

Problem with that is: The only things that are guaranteed if you don't SE that stun are 33p and 124p, but if you SE you can hold both of them. Further then, they're both mids. That stun needs tweaked, but yeah, the game needs stuns like that.

The attack itself even gives +2, but it's so slow it's easy to just FSD right around it, or hold mid. Needs to track like 3F+K to be useful.

Berzerk!

This thread has garnered many interesting, useful posts, but it is getting off topic as this is meant to consolidate clear, concise points of feedback with minor discussion/clarification on how to communicate to TN.

Protracted debate on the fundamentals might be best elsewhere, then come back with some clear points of feedback.

To think I was going to come back to the thread to say "don't forget to point out a set of the things we like too", that we think should continue/be expanded.

If I can trawl back through to see some clear points I'll put them in the main post and I'll happily link to the system thread or other place for more detailed debate. Just want to maintain the usefulness of this thread.

Jefffcore

I like the character individuality, the wall game, and that it is still a step up from DOA4. :)

Another thing I don't like is stuff falling on my head. I like the generator blowing up and the stage sloping, just not the stuff falling on my head as a result.

Raansu

-Defensive holds need longer recoveries.

-There needs to be more true combos (strings that cannot be held in stun)

-Holding out of a guard break should be removed.

-Sidesteps are off to a good start. The evasiveness should be closer to Hayate's side step attack though ( up/down p+k)

-Sit down stuns on critical hit (e.g. Hitomis up kick input)should be inescapable.

-Taking damage as the attacker during the cliffhanger scene if the opponent blocks is just plain wrong. You are punishing the attacker. Blocking the attack is fine, but the attack should not take damage. Top players will simply avoid the cliffhanger sequence if this is not changed.

-4 point defensive holds. DoA is a heavy mid attack game. While I love the concept of expert holds and hope it stays, standard holds need to be 4 point holds.

-Holds in general just need to be toned down. There needs to be more tools for the more experienced players to be able to move around the holds while still keeping it as a unique role in the match.

-Buffering seems off. Hitomi's 46p (back forward punch) is very difficult to pull off and 90% of the time only 6p comes out.

That is what I left in the survey box the other day. They kind of limit how much you can type and I probably missed a few things but whatever, they let you submit the survey multiple times so if I think of anything else I'll probably add to it.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
they just dont understand that the game works absolutely differently and its rules and mechanics differ in terms of what holds higher priority than what.
There's tons and tons of different shooters out there that play completely differently but they all still follow basic, logical principles and if you took one of those games and suddenly made everything a guess, no one would like it. Why am I playing a game where luck subverts skill? Why would I bother investing my time into something like that?

I would hate to see the game lose its identity
I don't think losing the "no depth, titty fighter" identity is such a bad idea.

like what happened to soul calibur

supers (critical edge)
Power Blows.

giving you a pat on the shoulder for losing and having one round to go by giving you 1 extra bar
Oh, you hate having a slight comeback factor for one round?

the fact that they butchered guard impacts (they not only cost half a bar now but the input is totally crap as well its <+A+B+K even though it looks like an offensive GI that was in every calibur before that
At the same time you want another comeback factor available to you at all times and to be even more powerful than it currently is? That's logical and not the least bit hypocritical.

they tried to add a parry system which although maybe considered good by some is just not as useful as a GI because the window is so small it just isn't very practical except for certain moves that have a long active window and are slow
You need to practice in order to use a game mechanic well and be rewarded? Well shit! What kind of game dares to ask me to practice playing it? Fucking Mario better jump over those pits of death by himself while we're at it. I should only have to hold right on the d-pad!

everything in that games mechanics was designed to appeal to the SF4 croud ... and look what happened.
People are taking it seriously and playing competitively? How awful!

DOA is a fighting game. and it has its own rules:
- Holds deal damage, if that bothers you then dont make stupid decisions mid match! it is where the mind game is.
Think about this, at neutral, I can always get held. I can throw out a 10 frame jab that only does 10 damage, is safe on block and hit, and doesn't guarantee me anything afterwards. It's a low risk move with almost no reward so I should be safe, right? Nope. My opponent can always, always hold me for significantly more damage. He can hold before I throw out the punch, he can hold during the punch, he can hold on the 10th frame on reaction and I've lost. What was my "stupid decision" in this scenario? Attacking! The stupidest thing you can do in DOA is attack your opponent because you're putting yourself out there to be held. You don't see the lack of logic here? What's a high level DOA match look like? Two opponents out-spacing each other and the other person either baiting a hold by throwing a punch or waiting for them to attack so I can block and throw. Both players know that whoever attacks first is the loser, so neither one wants to attack. Again, do you not see the lack of logic here?

- blocking can be done in 2 ways in this game, by either holding back or the H button.
Hubbs suggested this at some point and I agree that they should remove the blocking from a button. If Team Ninja wants to go back and refer to it as the hold button, they should remove the ability to block from it so you have to hold :4: and :1: to block. "It won't be DOA any more!" There are these games called DOA1 and DOA++, look them up some time.

- moves can be (Hold) canceled into each other for further extending combos and adding to the mixup.
What's your definition of a "combo?" By definition, a combo is a set of attacks that are guaranteed to hit the opponent after an initial hit connects. If I can hold out of it, it's not a combo.

... all the above are things that make DOA what it is. asking for something which is part of its core mechanic to be taken away or changed drasticly will only result in another "soul calibur" identity crisis and it will lose its personality.
Again, losing the "no depth, titty fighter" title isn't something to cry about. If you want to play Rock, Paper, Scissors over and over but are afraid of losing the anime nyuu~~~ girls then just draw those chibi kawaii desu ne?? girls on your hands when you play. You don't need an Xbox for that shit.

i think team ninja has done a great job so far and I think its a very viable fighter. it is just different and you need to be a little more open minded about that.
It's different all right; everything's a guess!

you always have to plan out your setups and change it up weather you were on the defensive or the offensive.
Dr. Dogg already translated this.

theres nothing you can do after a limbo stun
Yeah you can, it's called "hold," even in DOA2 and 3. Unless they changed it in DOA5, I think this is the same.

an air-launch
Thank goodness for that.

hitting a wall
Yeah, finally! After seven years of being able to hold from a wall hit.

or being hit from the back
So... all these situations where you can't hold are suddenly good? Because that's now what you've been saying in the rest of your post.

or would you rather have a game like sfxt with combos that have no way out of on hit, deal a crap ton of damage, and are all essentially a reward for starting a dumb and simple LP or LK mashed hit confirm till they get the hit?
Do I want a fighting game where I want to attack? Or do I want DOA, where I'm afraid to attack? What an interesting riddle.

and the combo ALWAYS LOOKS THE FRICKEN SAME
Do you want move properties to be randomized too so that even a juggle can't be repeated twice?

... if thats your thing then maybe DOA isnt for you.
Tom Brady said something that made a lot of sense "I'm all for a balanced game but you can't make a balanced game where the balancing tool is to make everything a guess."

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD