DOA5 E3 Version Q&A

TRI Mike

1) Do Leifang's advanced holds still work with the same commands as in DOA4¿ (Also Bayman)
2) Will Kasumi get a new follow-up for her parries¿ (DOA4 had :P:, :K: and throw)
3) Does Ayane's :4::P: launch on NH¿
4) Will Hayate get his backwards jump (:7::P:) and teleport back¿
5) Does Tina have any parries or advanced holds like Bayman now¿
6) Does Busa have any new transitions from string to ninpo stance¿ (like :P::P::P::K::4_: and :P::P::2::K::4_:)

Keylay

1) Is Leifang's combo throw an OH like in DOAD¿

Yes.

1) Have the neutral Christie's Dokuja-Fujin (DF) stance transitions (:2::P+K:, :1::P+K:, and :3::P+K:) been removed completely? And if so, do the inputs:2::P+K: and :8::P+K: only do the DF sidestep?

I only played with her twice but I couldn't get into her stance.

I believe :3::P::+::K: is her power blow. She still has :4::P::+::K: and it feels the same as previous DOAs.

Lei

1) Do Leifang's advanced holds still work with the same commands as in DOA4¿ (Also Bayman)
2) Will Kasumi get a new follow-up for her parries¿ (DOA4 had :P:, :K: and throw)
3) Does Ayane's :4::P: launch on NH¿
4) Will Hayate get his backwards jump (:7::P:) and teleport back¿
5) Does Tina have any parries or advanced holds like Bayman now¿
6) Does Busa have any new transitions from string to ninpo stance¿ (like :P::P::P::K::4_: and :P::P::2::K::4_:)

1) Yes
2) She still has them, same options
3) no
4) don't know, however his (:7::P:) is his power blow, teleport I have no idea but it is gone.
5) IIRC Tina still doesn't have any parries but everyone has advanced holds

Allan Paris

4) don't know, however his (:7::P:) is his power blow.

That can't be his PB, aren't all PB's a direction plus :P+K: now? :7::P: is a stun move now, it was his :4::P+K: charge move in DOA4.

That's crazy if that move has changed to that from the alpha demo. If you are not mistaken on that at all, I'd like TN to change that back to what it was.

Lei

That can't be his PB, aren't all PB's a direction plus :P+K: now? :7::P: is a stun move now, it was his :4::P+K: charge move in DOA4.

That's crazy if that move has changed to that from the alpha demo. If you are not mistaken on that at all, I'd like TN to change that back to what it was.

No they aren't all PB's are different commands depending on character Hayates PB is :7::P:. First thing I checked when I played with him at e3.

ER Edit: I mean Critical Burst, sorry lol

RoboJoe

After playing some VF5:FS, I have some questions on how Akira works in the E3 build:

1. Is Akira's knee input still :H+K: , release :h: after 1 frame?
2. What properties does Akira's :4::6::F+P+K: have?
3. Does :4::6::P: still knock down the same way as vf5?
4. How do vf5 jumping attacks work in doa? In vf5 you have different attacks while jumping up and on your way down.
5. Does Akira's bodycheck (:4::6::6::P+K: ) knock down or does it send them rolling like Jann-lee's :6::6::K:?
6. Is bodycheck unholdable?
7. Is sidestep -> bodycheck possible or will a sidestep :P: or :K: come out instead?
8. Is :6::6::P+K: unholdable?
9. Does Akira's :6::4::F+P: still leave opponents in that falling down animation?
10. What moves does Akira have as normal hit launchers and unholdable stuns?
11. What move causes critical burst?

Keylay

DrDogg, what version of the game were you playing when you made the combo videos? In the video you made for Kasumi, her critical burst is :4::F::+::K: but that caused knockdown in the E3 demo. Do you know if that was an older or newer build?

PhoenixVFIRE

In the build we played at e3 her crit burst was 6p+k
I can imagine Helena's Critical Burst will also be :6::P+K:. Is :6::P+K: the only move you tried with Kasumi to achieve a Critical Burst? Because, like Keylay was saying, her :4::F+K: also did one in the Kasumi Exhibition Trailer. I'm sure some characters may have more than one Critical Burst.

Lei

I can imagine Helena's Critical Burst will also be :6::P+K:. Is :6::P+K: the only move you tried with Kasumi to achieve a Critical Burst? Because, like Keylay was saying, her :4::F+K: also did one in the Kasumi Exhibition Trailer. I'm sure some characters may have more than one Critical Burst.

It is the only one I tried from how I see it she actually does have 2 which is good.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Ok Awesmic, bare in mind Christie I spent only a little time with.

1) Have the neutral Christie's Dokuja-Fujin (DF) stance transitions (, , and ) been removed completely? And if so, do the inputs and only do the DF sidestep?

All transitions are sidestep based into that stance now.... at least in that particular build. I couldn't dig too far into it but it seems like most if not all of her regular options out of stance are present, its just limited in how long it's active. Luckily you can continually side dash back and fourth to maintain this stance and it will evade lots of things while you're dicking around with it since the tracking is loosened off of most attacks.

2) Have they actually expanded on Christie's string with safer alternatives to the third punch as seen in DOA4 (DOAD)?

Couldn't tell you the answer to that with any accuracy, but drdogg might know as he was playing with her more.

4) Christie doesn't offer much in the way of throws, and thus made her HCB throw the most damaging, while her BT (Back-Turned) throw () was the most useful. Have they improved on the BT throw in anyway, such as frame advantage on Hi-Counter?

Another thing Drdogg would really have to answer. I never felt any kind of pressure from that in this build. That seems likely to change as they have given certain characters legit backturned setups now. Fine tuning.

A bunch of other technical questions

Yeaaaa thats pretty much all on drdogg, I just don't have the technical knowhow on her.

What I CAN tell you is that her praying mantis-looking chargeup attack can be released immediately for a guard crush (to which, as the name implies, she gets a guaranteed followup). That alone we dubbed as her "best" change.

I believe you've seen her cliffhanger as well.... the mount and stab is pretty sexy.

1) Do characters like Hitomi, Kokoro, Lei-Fang etc have offensive holds, or are those limited to the grapplers?

2) How does Lei-Fang's parry work? Does it parry highs and mids at the same time or is there a separate one for each height? Does she have an attack from parry like Hitomi? The parry also looked like it had a lot of recovery frames. Is this true, or does she simply have a lot of active parrying frames?

3) Kokoro seems to have more options than DOA4 after her . Seems like she has some sort of stance from which she can do other things than just the low kick or mid punch follow-up. Can you shed some light on that?

5) How do the tracking moves work? In VF there are three types of moves. Linear, half circles and full circles. Linear moves can be sidestepped from both sides, half circles only from one side, and full ones can't be sidestepped. Is this the same in DOA5, or is it just linear vs full circle?

6) What happens if two people hit each other with a power blow at the exact same time? Even though the chances are slim, I'm wondering what would happen.

7) Do forced wake-ups & untechables play a big role like in DOA4?

8) Can you hit an opponent while they're doing a wake-up kick?

9) Are all power blows mid punch or does each character have a different attacking point?

1. Hitomi doesn't. Kokoro and Leifang I did not notice any, but wouldn't be surprised to find one in a later build.

2. Parries are wierd now. They have been changing rapidly and what is listed in the movelist is not what they are doing... For example bayman has a low parry now, and a parry that is listed for mid but also parries certain highs and certain mids... but wont parry all of them.

Leifang is likely the same. It's going to be changed ten times over before they are done.

3. I cannot... but on a slightly unrelated note I did notice certain characters like Leifang getting new unholdable CH stun off of that same notation. Scary shit from a low.

4. Wasn't an important number, so we skipped it apparently.

5. Well right now it feels like they have randomly decided to just throw tracking properties onto certain attacks they believe "should" track, and left everything else loose. Some of these attacks I don't agree with.... for example, all of hayabusa's long range options seem to guard break and put him at significant advantage, and they track. Outside of just beating him out as he runs in, what the heck are you supposed to do?

6. Itagaki bursts out of the top of your devkit with a check for ten thousand dollars.

7. At this point, nobody is playing at a coherent enough level... let alone a high enough one to know all of the new frame data necessary in creating untechable setups. A few people might have from extensive alpha demo play, so it wouldn't surprise me if Master knew a few, but it wasn't playing any kind of major role in the game yet.

8. I've no reason to believe you cannot. It's just a pain in the ass, same as its always been. Luckily you can get away a heck of a lot easier now, and wakeup kicks are only low/mid so its far easier to react.

9. Bare in mind we haven't seen the entire cast, but they are all done with some form of P+K notation so they are punches. And, so far, they do seem to be mids. Critical bursts on the other hand do vary.

Allan Paris

9. Bare in mind we haven't seen the entire cast, but they are all done with some form of P+K notation so they are punches. And, so far, they do seem to be mids. Critical bursts on the other hand do vary.

With this one, wouldn't Busa's be a mid kick? The animation looks like it should be.

daman077c

To Rikuto and DrDogg -

I was noticing in the VERY few Lei Fang matches that were on the E3 stream that her 9kkk was launching on the second hit and the third wasn't hitting. Was there any other options to gain space for her, aside from trying 9kkp+k? I was sort of surprised they changed it, considering it was a regular 3-hit combo in DOA 4 and DOAD that also helped push your opponent back if they were in close (especially good against grapplers).

Kodachi

Standard Donor
How do you feel about Sarah from what we know so far.
We don't know too much at this point but Apparently she is "Top tier" with lots of mix-ups, very fast kicks, advantages and guaranteed follow ups from her Flamingo stance.
http://www.twitch.tv/ipldoa/b/320695159
@1:53:00
Do you think she should be toned down? or do you think the rest of the cast should be buffed up?​
Over Powered? or Top Teir?​

DrDogg

Lots of questions here. If I missed yours, please remind me.

Also, keep in mind that I can ONLY answer questions that are directly related to the E3 build. I cannot comment on ANYTHING else about the game.

All the following questions I'm about to ask are about Christie, and Christie alone.

1) Have the neutral Christie's Dokuja-Fujin (DF) stance transitions (:2::P+K:, :1::P+K:, and :3::P+K:) been removed completely? And if so, do the inputs:2::P+K: and :8::P+K: only do the DF sidestep?

2) Have they actually expanded on Christie's :3::P::P::P: string with safer alternatives to the third punch as seen in DOA4 (DOAD)?

3) In DOA4 (DOAD), Christie had two NH launchers in DF stance, with all her normal stance moves requiring the stun threshold to launch. If the DF stance is only limited to string cancels (as Rikuto implied on Day 1), does this mean her :3::3::P: and :9::K: have become NH launchers, or does the stun threshold still apply for them?

4) Christie doesn't offer much in the way of throws, and thus made her HCB throw the most damaging, while her BT (Back-Turned) throw (:6::F+P:) was the most useful. Have they improved on the BT throw in anyway, such as frame advantage on Hi-Counter?

5) How is Christie's DF throw done in DOA5? Is it similar to DOA3? Does Christie's DF throw have frame advantage on Counter or Hi-Counter, or at least a sit down stun?

6) I noticed a lot of the holds that used to launch the opponent were removed for some characters. Is it the same for Christie's low-punch hold?

7) What new moves were added for Christie, if any, and how useful are they in an actual fight?

8) I heard that Power Blows were now character-specific with the new adjustments they made to the button mapping. Would Christie's normal stance guard break (:4::P+K:) be that move when health is 50% or less?

9) How evasive is the DF sidestep compared to other sidesteps in the cast? Is it possible for her to go completely around an opponent if certain linear strings are done? Does it duck all mids similarly to Helena's :2::2: from BKO?

10) This one's in good humor. What does Christie's throw cliffhanger look like? And on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate Christie's cliffhangers?

A lot of questions I did want to ask I had to scrap because of the new gameplay system changes, so I'll have to come up with another set of questions later on. 'Til then, this is all I got for now.

Rikuto got to most of these but...

2. I don't believe so, but I'll double check.

3. I know 9K is a NH launch. I want to say 33P is as well, but I'll need to double check.

4. I don't believe anything is guaranteed from it, but I'll have to double check.

5. I'll have to try her DF throw, I don't recall the properties.

6. Still launches.

7. Can't really say much about new moves since I didn't play Christie in previous DOA games.

8. No, it's a different move.

9. Very, very evasive. All "move" sidesteps are better than the universal command sidesteps.

This just occurred to me, and is actually a question regarding the IPL events, themselves, moreso than the E3 build of the game.

As these events progress, will they feature more updated builds of the game month-to-month, or will they all just feature the E3 build?

Each event should have a new build, but I can't really confirm that... obviously. I would be completely shocked if we play the E3 build at any IPL events in the future.

How many new moves and animations are characters going to individualy get? I didn't see that many new ones in this version. Probably because people kept playing DOA4.

I'm not developing the game. I can only answer questions that directly relate to the E3 build.

Is Tina's frankensteiner (:4: :F::+::P:) now a catch throw? It kinda looked that way when I saw that guy use it that one time on stream, but that was the only time I saw anybody use it (and Tina) so I wasn't sure.

Also, what's the ground throw game like? Is it like 3.1 where you can have guaranteed ground throw follow ups?

I'll check on which of Tina's throws were OHs, but she has a few of them for sure.

I didn't find any guaranteed ground throw options with Tina, but I didn't look that hard. I would be shocked if she didn't have at least a few. Bayman has them left and right.

Have Akira's throws been sped up to DOA standards?

Yes.

1) Is Leifang's combo throw an OH like in DOAD¿
4) Is Christie's "bokuho" fixed¿

1. I haven't hardly touched Lei Fang, but I will be this week. Please ask me again a little later in the week if you could.
4. What do you mean?

To Rikuto and DrDogg -

I was noticing in the VERY few Lei Fang matches that were on the E3 stream that her 9kkk was launching on the second hit and the third wasn't hitting. Was there any other options to gain space for her, aside from trying 9kkp+k? I was sort of surprised they changed it, considering it was a regular 3-hit combo in DOA 4 and DOAD that also helped push your opponent back if they were in close (especially good against grapplers).

I haven't hardly touched Lei Fang, but I will be this week. Please ask me again a little later in the week if you could.

After playing some VF5:FS, I have some questions on how Akira works in the E3 build:

1. Is Akira's knee input still :H+K: , release :h: after 1 frame?
2. What properties does Akira's :4::6::F+P+K: have?
3. Does :4::6::P: still knock down the same way as vf5?
4. How do vf5 jumping attacks work in doa? In vf5 you have different attacks while jumping up and on your way down.
5. Does Akira's bodycheck (:4::6::6::P+K: ) knock down or does it send them rolling like Jann-lee's :6::6::K:?
6. Is bodycheck unholdable?
7. Is sidestep -> bodycheck possible or will a sidestep :P: or :K: come out instead?
8. Is :6::6::P+K: unholdable?
9. Does Akira's :6::4::F+P: still leave opponents in that falling down animation?
10. What moves does Akira have as normal hit launchers and unholdable stuns?
11. What move causes critical burst?

1. Yes.
2. What attack is that? Most G+P+K notations for him are different in DOA5.
3. Yes.
4. You can't jump in DOA5 unless it's part of an attack animation.
5. I'll have to check. Please ask again if I don't get back to you by Wednesday night.
6. No.
7. Sidestep P or K will come out instead unless it's a mid-string sidestep cancel, in which case he has other canned follow-ups, but can free cancel into whatever.
8. No... none of his attacks are unholdable. Unless you mean the opponent just evades instead of inflicting damage with a hold.
9. Yes.
10. Really? I'll have to get back to you on that. You're essentially asking for an Akira guide. lol
11. 4P+K as I recall.

Question to whom may know the answer: Back-dashing and or walking backwards seems a bit faster/fluid, is that accurate or not?

Back dash and forward dash speed is different for every character.

DrDogg, what version of the game were you playing when you made the combo videos? In the video you made for Kasumi, her critical burst is :4::F::+::K: but that caused knockdown in the E3 demo. Do you know if that was an older or newer build?

The videos were from a slightly older build. There were definitely a number of changes from that build to the E3 build. Which is also a good reason to NOT consider what you've seen at E3 to be any form of FINAL for any character. This game will continue to change from now until it's on store shelves (and possibly beyond due to patches).

How do you feel about Sarah from what we know so far.
We don't know too much at this point but Apparently she is "Top tier" with lots of mix-ups, very fast kicks, advantages and guaranteed follow ups from her Flamingo stance.
http://www.twitch.tv/ipldoa/b/320695159
@1:53:00
Do you think she should be toned down? or do you think the rest of the cast should be buffed up?​
Over Powered? or Top Teir?

She's perfect just the way she is. She's definitely top tier, but not unbeatable or overpowered. You just have to play defense and not spam counters. I would be disappointed if she was toned down. I'd much rather see everyone else buffed up to match her abilities.

DR2K

I'm not developing the game. I can only answer questions that directly relate to the E3 build.

Well I meant if movelists were changed (as far as new moves)much in the e3 build.

DrDogg

Well I meant if movelists were changed (as far as new moves)much in the e3 build.

I only played Helena and Lisa in DOA4, and only Helena in DOA2U. It's difficult for me to tell you what's new and what's not. Also, the movelists were not final in the build.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD