DOA5 E3 Version Q&A

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
She's perfect just the way she is. She's definitely top tier, but not unbeatable or overpowered. You just have to play defense and not spam counters. I would be disappointed if she was toned down. I'd much rather see everyone else buffed up to match her abilities.

A thousand times this.

With this one, wouldn't Busa's be a mid kick? The animation looks like it should be.

I know what you mean. Not sure though, now that I think about it. Manny wasn't exactly trying to hit me with powerblow spam.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Busa's power blow is similar to his DOA4 :3::3::P: where it's an uppercutting motion. You're thinking it's a kick because the recovery is displaying him flippiing.

Allan Paris

Yeah that maybe it. I didn't know he started his PB with a punch similar to that. I will look at more closely tomorrow after class.

TRI Mike

I mean that Christie's "bokuho" stance (forgot the real name, Awesmic, help me out here) was kinda useless in DOA4 because of the broken and nonexistent sidestep system. So I wanted to know if it's fixed and if it got any new strings from it.

DrDogg

Awesomic, here's the Christie Exhibition. It shows the new guard break and her Power Blow so you can see both. It also shows her 9K launch on normal hit.

I mean that Christie's "bokuho" stance (forgot the real name, Awesmic, help me out here) was kinda useless in DOA4 because of the broken and nonexistent sidestep system. So I wanted to know if it's fixed and if it got any new strings from it.

Well it's extremely evasive, but it's not really a stance in the same sense that it was in DOA4. I'd say it's an overall improvement, but right now Christie is still lacking.

RoboJoe

2. What attack is that? Most G+P+K notations for him are different in DOA5.

Thanks for answering my questions. Let me clarify, :4::6::F+P+K: is Akira's two armed attack that leaves the opponent side turned on hit. As far as I know, Doa isn't big on side turned stuff, so I wondered if they would change that.

8. No... none of his attacks are unholdable. Unless you mean the opponent just evades instead of inflicting damage with a hold.

That's exactly what I meant.

10. Really? I'll have to get back to you on that. You're essentially asking for an Akira guide. lol

Forget what I said about launchers, I can probably figure that out, but I am curious as to how Akira's attacks have adapted to Doa's stun system and that's why I asked.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
I didn't find any guaranteed ground throw options with Tina, but I didn't look that hard. I would be shocked if she didn't have at least a few. Bayman has them left and right.

I don't know how much time you spent with Tina, but you wouldn't happen to remember any of the setups you tried would you? Just trying to get an idea of how much her 3.1 game would apply to 5 (at least as it is right now).

Sagittarius

For the character attribute stats of Strike, Hold, Throw, Power, Speed and Moves, can you tell that they actually relate to how a character plays?
They really set characters apart when you just compare the stats themselves, but how does that match up in game? Can you tell there's a huge difference between a hit from Leifang (only a 1 in Power) and a hit from Tina or Bayman (both have a 4 in Power), etc.?

DrDogg

That's exactly what I meant.

That's really difficult for me to test since there's no training mode in the build. Also, Akira is constantly changing and Rikuto and I even requested further changes based on the E3 build. Stuns and things of that nature will likely change between now and Sept.

I don't know how much time you spent with Tina, but you wouldn't happen to remember any of the setups you tried would you? Just trying to get an idea of how much her 3.1 game would apply to 5 (at least as it is right now).

I hardly spent any time looking for guaranteed ground options. I only tried a few off the wall setups and that was before I found Bayman's stuff. Essentially, any attack that slams the opponent to the ground should grant a free ground throw.

But I have to restate again... things will almost certainly change between now and Sept. I wouldn't recommend over analyzing the E3 build looking for setups. There were rather significant changes from the build I played just before E3 to the E3 build (from a competitive standpoint), and they were maybe a week apart.

For the character attribute stats of Strike, Hold, Throw, Power, Speed and Moves, can you tell that they actually relate to how a character plays?
They really set characters apart when you just compare the stats themselves, but how does that match up in game? Can you tell there's a huge difference between a hit from Leifang (only a 1 in Power) and a hit from Tina or Bayman (both have a 4 in Power), etc.?

Yes. Bayman and Tina can take 50% with relative ease. Christie has to hit you about 40 times to take 50% (that's an exaggeration). Some of the ratings seem a bit off, but they're a decent representation of the characters.

Keep in mind, most of the top players are better than anyone playing the game at Team Ninja. We think differently than they do, and we're also more focused on individual characters instead of the broad spectrum of the game. How we play a character may be very different compared to how Team Ninja expects the character to be played.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Keep in mind, most of the top players are better than anyone playing the game at Team Ninja. We think differently than they do, and we're also more focused on individual characters instead of the broad spectrum of the game. How we play a character may be very different compared to how Team Ninja expects the character to be played.

"You're not pressing the buttons fast enough..." - Tomonobu Itagaki

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
I hardly spent any time looking for guaranteed ground options. I only tried a few off the wall setups and that was before I found Bayman's stuff. Essentially, any attack that slams the opponent to the ground should grant a free ground throw.

But I have to restate again... things will almost certainly change between now and Sept. I wouldn't recommend over analyzing the E3 build looking for setups. There were rather significant changes from the build I played just before E3 to the E3 build (from a competitive standpoint), and they were maybe a week apart.

Gotcha. Thanks!

avi

okay some notable stuff for busa in the E3 build ^.^

:hayabusa::6::6::K: is guard crush now and leaves you at +5
:6::P+K: recovers much faster ^.^
can do izuna throw from ninpo stance now!!!!!!!!!!!
:K: from ninpo stance hits at the mid level instead of high
:3: :P+K: launches on normal hit now
:3::3::P: recovers a bit slower then the alpha version
his moves out of ninpo stance will be different speeds depending on witch move you use to get into ninpo stance.

last but not least i spoke to manny about busa being able to go into ninpo stance before the round starts and he confirmed he has spoken to TN about it so keep your fingers crossed mwahahahhahahah ty

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Good thing Team Ninja is making a character like Hayabusa that's been top tier in every game to date even stronger. It's not like there are plenty of other characters that need the attention. =P

Jefffcore

He's still gonna be like High Mid. Bayman's arguably better, so you can assume the other grapplers are going to be up there; Hitomi is better, so you can assume that Jann Lee will be up there, too.

I'm predicting Jann Lee as the #1

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Hayabusa's considered a grappler now so any universal buffs that would apply to grapplers he benefits from as well. No one other character has as many options as he does. I'm kind of sick of Hayabusa and the ninjas getting all the love. TN has 20 other characters that need the love.

Jefffcore

He doesn't have those sit-down stuns like Bayman... Not yet anyway.

Someone HAS to be the best character, and it's not going to be Hayabusa, so there's nothing really to complain about.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Dokuja-Fujin (DF).

And I think the stance itself has been taken out, if I read the answers right..

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD