Does the amount of cash prize really help the tournament scene?

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
But wouldn't that be like buying people into the game, starting out like that? That is a good idea Game Over, once a solid community is established. For my tournanments those people play because of me and not what I am offering them.

-I agree. Deja Vu....I know we been there before(MR. Wah). We just have to start without prizes and the like, and get players interested in going further. We did this with 2U and we had some great tournaments.

I think that's the angle that needs to be approached. Letting people know that everybody in the community is not a douche. I use to ask poeple about joining the community, the first thing they say is, "NO, I heard about that place". So, they keep in touch with me but they won't fully join with the community. I like hosting tournaments and giving back to the commuity, I really do enjoy it, but I won't buy people.

-Well, we are not that other site :D. Let them know of us, a place where they can join and commune with their piers. We are all about having a good time and enjoying our game. It is not you vs me, but us working together for the greater good.

Game Over

Hey VP, what do you think about just focusing on the points and the region comp, then? Making the points the prizes.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
I like the idea. It could be like achievement points, but Called Tournament Points. A system could be made that calculate which place grants you the most points. Just playing in the tournament could grant you a couple of points. it can be like this:
  • 1st place - 50pts
  • 2nd Place -40pts
  • 3rd place -30pts
  • 4th-20th place -15pts
  • 21st and on -10 pts.
  • Just entering the Tournament - 5pts.

When we have special tournaments(like an online/offline Major) we can have prizes.

Game Over

Cool.

I think the best way to setup the points would be to align them in sync with tournament brackets. Something like:
  • 1st = 75pts
    2nd = 60pts
    3rd = 50pts
    4th = 40pts
    5-6th = 35pts
    7-8th = 30pts
    9-12th = 25pts
    13-16th = 20pts
    17-24th = 15pts
    25-32nd = 10pts
    33-all = 5pts

Points listed are just an example.

Game Over

Regions
  • East

-- ME, NH, VT, NY, RI, CT, NJ, PA, DE, MD

• Midwest

-- ND, MN, WI, MI, SD, NE, IA, IL, IN, OH, MO

• South

-- KY, WV, VA, AR, TN, NC, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, FL

• Southwest

-- CO, KS, OK, NM, TX

• West

-- WA, MT, OR, ID, WY, CA, NV, UT, AZ

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The point system would be easy to implement once we get a Tournament / Ladder system in here that meets our requirements. Currently there is none, and I don't have the resources or know-how to create one. There was one for a previous version of vBulletin, but it doesn't work for the new vBulletin and I'm waiting for that to be updated.

Game Over

Any idea of a timeline on that?

I figure points could be tracked manually in the meantime until a ladder gets into place. It wouldn't be that hard, considering there'd only be like 1 tournament a month (at the most) to factor in.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
Doing it manually is better than nothing. We can just update it every tournament.

Edit:

I think we should use the Tournament / Ladder system that is available until we get an updated version. With he old version, we can at least show each player's tournament wins, a long with the point system.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
As I stated before, it doesn't reach our requirements. At most we could do 8 man double-elimination tournaments, which wouldnt be good for any online tournaments and such. I'm basically waiting for 8wayrun.com's owner Jaxel to update his site vB4.0, as his is the ladder I hope to use (Fighting Game Designed).

For now, just keep track of the brackets and placings for any tournaments that occur. I have no timeline as I have no way to contact Jaxel to see when he'll be updating his forum to vb4.0.

The HuBBs

Sorwah and I did try encouraging people with the point system we set up and we barely got over 12 people for DOA4.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
The region comp idea can be applied with online play as well. And stirring up online play, it seems, is the way to go for trying to reboot DOA activity.

Well, right now we have to use online play to help rebuild the scene. Also, the point system is for both online and offline. Right now we cannot be choosey.

Allan Paris

Well I am all for both on and offline. I can attend both, online at, almost, any time(College Student). Offline, with months in advance notice of the gathering/tournament. With my monthly themed tournaments I pick up some new names, almost every time I host one. The hard part is getting them to join the community fully and not just a rouge player.

Some people just don't have a cpu to get online, some have a cpu and just won't come, then there's some people that forget. I have loss count over the reasons I have come across, some reasons are fairly legit, but some are not. So, I just say my peace and if they come they come and if they don't, well, they don't.

But I do pick up new people, nonetheless.

The Alpha Male

I'd rather make money doing something than not make money doing something, especially if I have to take time out of my day to do that thing. The only thing I would do for nothing is a chick and even then that's going to take a solid (VERY solid) 13 minutes.

If you want people to come back, put up something. I bet you that if you had a online tournament where the final prize is 20 bucks, just 20 bucks, you'd get a turn out of at least that many people. I think everyone here likes DOA4, its just that there is no money in it. Plus - this is an unprecedented time in the realm of fighters. We have Blazblue (Online), Tekken (Online), Street Fighter (Online), KOF (Online), MVC (Online), VF (Online) and on and on and on.

I love DOA but when we get right down to it I'm an SNK fan and as much as I love DOA I'll play KOF98 with the 6 guys I know with good connections over playing 4.

I don't think it has anything to do with DOA's lack of quality, its just that nowadays there are so many options. SF2 is great but its nostalgia that drives that scene, DOA doesn't have that. . .unless big tits were a corner stone of your childhood, like it was for mine.

Tits, tits, ass, tits, power rangers.

Red dragon

With almost all the touraments nowadays, people think about money. There are a rare few that go for the sake of going.

I went to touraments for the road trip, to bullshit with people, and to have some fun. Money creates greed, curruption and then u end up like my older brother. He's all pissy because he can't bring in extra money.

Even though i got 1000 problems going on and i can barely get a chance to get online, im going to still try and support doa4 online by trying to host a few casual gamers nights and hopefully if all goes well, maybe i can bring back the blacklist tourament. Hell, i'll might consider throwing in a prize but i highly doubt it unless someone donates. Im a broke man after all.

R4712-VR88

Well I don't have much concrete input about how we should go about tournaments, but I feel like sharing my two cents on acouple of things.

Well first off, I've never been to an actual offline tournament. Nothing like NEC, D.I.D., EVO, etc. I've only done little casual matches at an anime convention, and with JamoDOA.

Anyway. JamoDOA and I are planning to move in with each other in Paducah, KY sometime within the next couple of months. In early June at OMG!con 2010 (which is held in Paducah) I managed to run into a local group called /panic Gaming Society (Slash Panic) that's located in north west Tennessee. It runs various gaming tournaments. FPS games, Fighters, etc. The big thing at the moment are the fighting games, especially SSFIV, BB, T6. I'm not entirely sure as to how they go about their tournaments. But they held their SSFIV Finals at OMG!con 2010. The top players were the ones that consisted of the most points. Points, I'm assuming are wins. So even they ran on a type of point system. The tournaments were held every friday of May. Their entry fee was $8 and prizes went to the top three.

I became acquainted with them at the convention and I've kept up with them since over the net. Overall me and Jamo have our work cut out for us when it comes to offline play now. Whether DOA5 comes soon or not we're definitly going to try and get some DOA going on with them. DOA3.1/4.1, whatever. I know there are some people in their group who've played DOA4 in the past so maybe we can somehow revive it. Maybe we can somehow use them as a test to see if we can find any sort of solution for our tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD