Final Fantasy Thread

Senigata

You know for people complaining that they replaced Stella with a damsel in distress in Luna, or at least that what people used to complain about, I don't really get that vibe from the artwork

Looks more too me like she's telling the soldier to step the **** aside while Gentiana hands her her staff.

@Hayabusiness: I agree wholeheartedly just because you're a fan of something you shouldn't listen to haters in said fandom that talk smack about games you don't even know for sure if you'd dislike them.
And, well, yeah Cloud is pretty justified in how he acts even in Advent Children. You don't just get over all the trauma he endured in that short a timespan (add to that his sickness and voila) but that is really neither here nor there since this would just spawn another debate.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Justified doesn't escuse an unlikable personality. I remmeber a JRPG I played where the character accidentally killed billions of people and for awhile he was completley depressed and bummed out. logical? Yes but easily the worst part of the game.

Realistic doesn't mean good.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I know all about fandom hate, my favourite FF game ever is Lightning Returns and my favourite character is Lightning.

Light and the XIII saga are probably the most hated in the entirety of FF lol.

Chapstick

I liked FFXIII and XIII-2 enough to platinum them. The monsters were fun in XIII-2, I think that was my favorite part. Catching a chocobo, increasing its stats, placing a mini chocobo ornament on its back and then fighting alongside it was cool. Lightning Returns I couldn't get myself into, the limited time aspect stressed me out as a completionist. I'd be playing it like

tumblr_ngg6138Q7e1qfr6qbo1_500.png

trying to do everything possible in one day

I liked two thirds of the Lightning saga and yet I couldn't bring myself to finish the XV demo. :/

UpSideDownGRUNT

I liked FFXIII and XIII-2 enough to platinum them. The monsters were fun in XIII-2, I think that was my favorite part. Catching a chocobo, increasing its stats, placing a mini chocobo ornament on its back and then fighting alongside it was cool. Lightning Returns I couldn't get myself into, the limited time aspect stressed me out as a completionist. I'd be playing it like

tumblr_ngg6138Q7e1qfr6qbo1_500.png

trying to do everything possible in one day

I liked two thirds of the Lightning saga and yet I couldn't bring myself to finish the XV demo. :/
The irony is you're not supposed to rush LR at all plus defeating most bosses give you a full day back.

I rushed it my first time through I beat all 5 story acts and then had 9 whole days left.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
We aren't hip hop rappers this isn't pointless "hate" it's called criticism.

a large group of people didn't like FF13 for several reasons, so when it got two immediate sequels people were obviously going to get increasingly annoyed. it would be like if I saw three DOAX games made before DOA or NG overtime it becomes less about the games and more that your favorite company can't make what you like while making what you don't.

I liked FF13 alright but I rolled my eyes back into my skull by the time that third one rolled around.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Lightning Returns is the best one though, I'm glad the made it tbh its almost perfectly catered towards me lol.

Although 3 games in 3-4 years was a bit much it STILL isn't as milked as VII is.

2 prequels, original game, sequal movie, a sequal game of the sequel movie, a remaster, a mobile game based on the bike chase in Japan, and the newest addition of a remake for what I'm guessing is for the 20th anniversary.

Xhominid The Demon Within

We aren't hip hop rappers this isn't pointless "hate" it's called criticism.

a large group of people didn't like FF13 for several reasons, so when it got two immediate sequels people were obviously going to get increasingly annoyed. it would be like if I saw three DOAX games made before DOA or NG overtime it becomes less about the games and more that your favorite company can't make what you like while making what you don't.

I liked FF13 alright but I rolled my eyes back into my skull by the time that third one rolled around.

No one is saying that, hell, I even agreed about the sequels launching too fast with nothing else inbetween for those that didn't like XIII. My actual problems comes from the fact of how ADAMANT people are in trying to accept how terrible XIII is to them is that they will listen to ANYONE AND ANYTHING telling them how bad it is even if their reasons and logic make no fucking sense whatsoever.
I keep hearing how the cast is the worst in the series...but no one ever gives any true reasons rather than what they heard. Everyone treats Autobattle as it's the thing that annihilate all tension in the battle, despite how bad it really is and it's the fancy equivalent of pressing X on the attack button with Memory option enabled. Hell, I hear so much contradicting shit on GameFAQs alone it's one of the main reasons I honestly just stopped caring and honestly removed myself from the fanbase as a whole.

I do blame Squenix for nothing coming between the cracks(FFXIII Versus somehow being delayed for so long it became XV in which people are STILL complaining because it's now rebranded BECAUSE of XIII's negative reception even though Square is removing all the XIII elements and ties, Type-0 not even coming out for the PSP till like YEARS later in an HD port for the PS4...), but it's ridiculous how many blame XIII instead(To the point people blame XIII and say it somehow fucked up the company...despite XIV 1.0 was the one that caused it and most likely caused all of the above to happen).

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I keep hearing how the cast is the worst in the series...but no one ever gives any true reasons rather than what they heard. Everyone treats Autobattle as it's the thing that annihilate all tension in the battle, despite how bad it really is and it's the fancy equivalent of pressing X on the attack button with Memory option enabled. Hell, I hear so much contradicting shit on GameFAQs alone it's one of the main reasons I honestly just stopped caring and honestly removed myself from the fanbase as a whole.

Well, that is because you seem to hang mostly around GameFAQs. Because its not true at all, that no one ever gave good/objective reasons why FFXIII and it's cast was shallow and simply badly written. There has been a lot of well reasoned discussions by game designers and game critics in the past.

I personally still kinda enjoyed FFXIII by the way, despite it's many shortcomings. FFXIII-2 I really disliked and after about half of the game I stopped playing. Lightning Returns I never touched. (edit: Not true, I played the demo.) I'm glad that series of games is finally over.

Well, that is because you seem to hang mostly around GameFAQs. Because its not true at all, that no one ever gave good/objective reasons why FFXIII and it's cast was shallow and simply badly written. There has been a lot of well reasoned discussions by game designers and game critics in the past.

I personally still kinda enjoyed FFXIII by the way, despite it's many shortcomings. FFXIII-2 I really disliked and after about half of the game I stopped playing. Lightning Returns I never touched. (edit: Not true, I played the demo.) I'm glad that series of games is finally over.

1. Objective is a falsehood in and of itself. You mean to say subjective or just leave good there.

2. Again, that is kinda my point, I'm not just saying it's ONLY from GameFAQs, it's that most of what I see COMES from GameFAQs and I know that there are those who have actual reasons, the problem is that most parrot off the same basic reasons others do and make it fact.

My favourites are:

Final Fantasy 7 (The compilation including Advent Children, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus and Before Crisis, however I didnt like the animated movie) They have so many interesting charakters and topics, from politics to economy and environmental issues.
Final Fantasy 8 (I still cry sometimes when i play it)
Final Fantasy 10 (Tidus makes me so happy when telling his story)
Final Fantasy 10-2 (Oh yeah here comes Rikku)
Final Fantasy 12 (I did enjoy the new combat system a lot)

I also bought Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2 but i was only moderately hyped about it. It just doesnt feel as alive or as fantastic as the titles before.

Dissidia Final Fantasy is a nice game for the psp and can be addictive but storywise its not a real Final Fantasy.

For some reason never liked Final Fantasy 9 and only watched my friends playing it.

I havent played Final Fantasy 1-6 or Final Fantasy 11 and 14.

I am really hyped about Final Fantasy 15 and the Final Fantasy 7 Remake and will buy them once they are out and i got the money to do so.
Recently i am playing the with thought of buying FF Type 0 on Steam....but i still wanna wait for a sale in case it will not be as good as i expect it to be.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I like the world of XIII, Fabula Nova Crysalia is an interesting area to me from Cocoon's Lake Bresha and Sunleth Waterscape to The Dead Dunes and Luxerion.

I like alot of its characters too Lightning, Oerba Yun Fang, Snow, Caius, Chocolina etc fun and interesting characters not original in the slightest but they're decent characters with actual development unto it gets stripped-down in the sequals *cough * Lightning *cough*

Don't get me started on the sound track, Dust to Dust still gets to me.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
1. Objective is a falsehood in and of itself. You mean to say subjective or just leave good there.

2. Again, that is kinda my point, I'm not just saying it's ONLY from GameFAQs, it's that most of what I see COMES from GameFAQs and I know that there are those who have actual reasons, the problem is that most parrot off the same basic reasons others do and make it fact.

If an experienced character designer and writer in detail explains why FFXIII's characters are lacking, then that's pretty objective to me. "OMG, Lightning is such a shitty character becuz I don't like her!!! D:" That is subjective. And I am not talking about discussions or critique like that.

@UpSideDownGRUNT
I was a big fan of FXIII's visual character design:

1300202-ffxiii_characters.jpg

I thought they were well thought out, unique/easily recognizable, fantasy-like yet still current, overall complimentary...just really pretty.

Last edited:

If an experienced character designer and writer in detail explains why FFXIII's characters are lacking, then that's pretty objective to me. "OMG, Lightning is such a shitty character becuz I don't like her!!! D:" That is subjective. And I am not talking about discussions or critique like that.

Not really because again, they also have their own ways of making characters and writing stuff up, that's still subjective/aka an opinion.

You can have God himself give reasons and it would still be subjective, that's the point of it.

Aerospark

Standard Donor
FFXIII had great characters, it just had a shit story that made no fucking sense whatsoever and got worse with XIII-2, then tried to redeem itself with LR but ended up getting even worse.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD