hitting low jab while blockstun/hitstun, what is the deal?

Camel with 2 thumbs

Idk what it is lately, but it seems like every time i attempt to tick throw or I leave a little gap in my offence to catch my opponent hitting buttons, 9/10 i end up getting clipped with low jabs. I can't tell if this tactic is the new hotness or whether I'm only noticing it now since im starting to actually PAY ATTENTION to what my opponents are doing (only been playing DOA since the dreamcast but hey, better late than never :)

I guess this is a pretty legit tactic because it punishes delays in strings and it blows up tick throw attempts and any attempt to grab once your come out of hitstun. one would think that regular jabs would be better suited for this since they come out faster, but i guess a low jab is less likely to be crushed/punished than a high jab.

Has anyone else been seeing this? is this an old tatic? or have i just been playing the same ppl for too long

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Your opponents are either impatient or smart when they do that. Low jabs are a good tool to stop someones offensive and to keep the pressure of yourself, so it's not a bad idea to do this often. They can put you back to advantage very fast. Though you have to be careful with doing these on string heavy characters, since many of them will end mid and beat you out.

Simply stop delaying your strings and do not go for tick throws if you get interrupted by them a lot. If you notice that they get hit by your string enders, you know that they're rather impatient. In this case, you could also just cancel a string in between. If they do a low jab because they expect a throw or a delayed attack, they will hit you on normal hit, which is disadvantage for many characters and allow you to keep attacking either with a fast high or a fast mid.

You did not mention a specific character, but since Nyotengu is your main, I could add that fast lows are a proper tool against her and can stop a lot of her attempts for offensive. In this case, it would be rather smartness.

Lulu

That sounds like A Virtua Fighter tactic..... does it really that happen often ? Thats new to me.

Camel with 2 thumbs

That sounds like A Virtua Fighter tactic..... does it really that happen often ? Thats new to me.

It's funny you say that, cause on reflection this reminds me more of Mortal Kombat 9 tatics. Where down + 1's are so useful in stuffing an opponents offence, they stuff fast highs, fast mids, some ex's, and even some x-rays, and because the netcode isn't so great, you can pretty much do them back to back and never worry about being punished for it. moves with armor on the first frame can blow that stuff up, but if you play a character with no armored moves then you get to eat shit (the woes of a kitana main :( and yes her x ray has armor but it hits high, so down + 1 prevails again)

Actually thinking about it, this also reminds me of SF4, where a gap in offence more times that not ends up with you eating ex-dp, ex-flash kick, a piledriver, etc. it's weird cause in that game if that happens my brain just goes "oh my lord this guy is just twirling on the stick as soon as i touch him, im just gonna let him hang himself" bait the mashing, go for max punish, rinse repeat, win. if only i could transfer that mind set to this game :(

Lulu

LoL.... maybe DoA won't allow that type of thing.... which I think is a great thing. ;)

Hazard

Standard Donor
As an Akira player, I will abuse the low jab when pressured. Although I only get +1 advantage on NH, most players won't try to block, and most get caught with a double palm.

Lulu

As an Akira player, I will abuse the low jab when pressured. Although I only get +1 advantage on NH, most players won't try to block, and most get caught with a double palm.

This works wonders for the VF Character's because their low punches are all i12 Frames I think.

And I believe Akira has the best one since he has while crouching moves.... it also feels like Akira's low punch has the shortest Recovery.

LoL... its funny because checking people with Low Punches constantly accumulates damage in a sneaky way.... I mean ten of them will only net a total damage of 50.... but thats how much damage they can get from their throws.

Cla

Standard Donor
It's funny you say that, cause on reflection this reminds me more of Mortal Kombat 9 tatics.
People call low jabbing "VF tactics" because the tactic became a thing back in VF2 almost 10 years ago, and has been a central part of all VF games ever since. It was probably a part of VF1 top level play too but I haven't looked into that.

(Fast-forward to 4:40 to see the gameplay)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD