System How do you feel about the patch notes and stage?

Azuchi.jpg

We've already seen that a new character from Samurai Warriors is coming out next month... but at least the new stage is from DOA; Azuchi -- from DOA3. This classic level not only looks gorgeous but has plenty of walls and torches to send people through staying true to the importance of environmental damage.

The patch notes are here, and they have stirred up a lot of controversy in the competitive group. From Sweet Revenge being salty about Genfu's 44P nerf, to Sly Bass mentioning Akira's changes. Some of the adjustments are still a little hard to understand, but the translations will give you a good idea what to expect.

Surprisingly, no changes to Bass for once. I'm glad he's in a good place now.

Akira didn't need the nerf honestly, but eh, he's still great. Gen Fu however definitely did since he's super cheap.

However everyone wants me to feel about the patch notes and the returning stage is my answer to the topic question.

Patch notes aside, Azuchi looks beautiful, a much needed stage for the game, and Naotora looks pretty interesting.

Naotora has a couple of similar like long strings that require you to press one button and one movement input. Her movement is also similar to that of Rachel and Hitomi. Her Power Launcher setup to the combo is also simple to do and will work on all weights except for Heavies and above. It does around 50-60% damage depending on the string prior to the PL setup. She also has plenty of reset and force tech setups she brings to the table. Not sure if most of her moves are safe/unsafe, but for sure her 236K,P (Extended Tornado Kick) is a free grab on block. She has plenty of potential of being a strong character. Just need to see her frame data and look more in depth with her combos.

I will try my best to record her gameplay tomorrow before or after an Akihabara DOA5AU tournament I'm going too. However, recording matches inside arcades aren't allowed and frowned upon.

Hopefully you can test the stage around for interactions or things removed/added/changed. I suppose character recording is cool as well I guess.

Ein got nothing, which means the bug where the 2nd K in 6KK whiffs during PKK WRK 6KK still exists... Leifang got nothing in changes either as far as I can tell which I'm fine with as far as I know she's good as is. Hitomi got a safety buff for 3PP and 9K now hits squatting opponents so that's something.

Naotora Ii is somehow even more uninteresting now we know her moveset and will likely see a bunch of spamming rank players using her lol.

Azuchi is my favourite DOA3 stage and I'm really glad to have it back, this alongside Suspension Bridge and Aerial Gardens was one of my most requested stages.

I'm never sure about the changes until I play. But just off of visuals, Azuchi looked better 15 years ago. Seeing the dull floor was a bummer :(

Meh nothing for Leon, I was expecting for them to at least fix his bs power launcher bug and his stage related bugs like his PK+T ground bounce on explosive tiles in dangerzone launching opponents lower than on normal tiles; and breakable objects in fireworks not trackable by his air throw. But yet the serious gamebreaking character imbalancing super important bug of Baymans ground grab showing damage before the animation finished must take top priority.

As for Eliot it looks like his 4T took a damage nerf in place of a speed buff which now gives him a 7frame punish throw that can't be broken unlike his 6T which is at least something for a character who gets shit guaranteed from anything.

Don't really care for the stage, yet another DOA3 port and seems redundant since we already have something similar with temple of the dragon which at least has breakables and multi tiered floors.

And the new character of course is yet another uninspired steaming pile of excrement who brings nothing new or worth while to the roster other than being another apologetic weak-willed moe blob to appease the japanese and salivating weaboos.

in conclusion i don't give a damn about any of this nonsense

Meh nothing for Leon, I was expecting for them to at least fix his bs power launcher bug and his stage related bugs like his PK+T ground bounce on explosive tiles in dangerzone launching opponents lower than on normal tiles; and breakable objects in fireworks not trackable by his air throw. But yet the serious gamebreaking character imbalancing super important bug of Baymans ground grab showing damage before the animation finished must take top priority.

As for Eliot it looks like his 4T took a damage nerf in place of a speed buff which now gives him a 7frame punish throw that can't be broken unlike his 6T which is at least something for a character who gets shit guaranteed from anything.

Don't really care for the stage, yet another DOA3 port and seems redundant since we already have something similar with temple of the dragon which at least has breakables and multi tiered floors.

And the new character of course is yet another uninspired steaming pile of excrement who brings nothing new or worth while to the roster other than being another apologetic weak-willed moe blob to appease the japanese and salivating weaboos.

in conclusion i don't give a damn about any of this nonsense
What is this I hear of Eliot's 4T being a 7 frame now??? Holy shit!

Not sure what to think about this balance patch.
Still no proper Christie nerf. How is that possible.
Gen Fus nerf just makes him even more boring to fight against. Rather a minor dmg nerf than that.
A small nerf for Zacks 6T PP would've been nice.
It'd be nice if Nyo had the same opportunities with her BT PP6P string like with her PP6P. As far as I know you still can't use BT PP6P P+K.
Good thing they fixed Kasumis 66K. What about her 6K?
Oh and when will they realize how bad Pais 44KK is. SE able on HCH & two high strikes.

Stage looks nice. Another night stage is great.
Character doesn't look too bad to me (if ignoring the personality). I like the flashyness of her moves. And finally a character with a unique moveset compared to the last two characters...
Only problem I see is the easiness of the newer characters. They need like 2 - 3 weeks training to master. And this character does indeed look like a mashing character. But let's see when she's released.

One thing I have to admit is that they did actually a really good job on her facial expression in terms of actually even really being sorry. It's disturbing to me, but they did a good job with it.

So Honoka's only change is that PPP6P now does 3 points more damage. Christie is still a middle weight with an i11 mid string that stuns and reaches across the cosmos. TN is way too good at trolling.

Why does Christie need to be nerfed? And what is a proper Christie nerf?

A proper Christie nerf would be propably be increased unsafety an certain string enders, hitbox adjustments on certain moves and removal of guaranteed options. It can't be that a character who has such a high speed, multifaceted string variation, many fast lows and good range on pokes is still able to beat out other ranged tools easily by simply PPPing across the stage, ducking even mids. She's way too evasive when performing normal pokes and strings, that's what her stance should actually be for.

While it is needless to say that this applies to grapplers in general, even fast strikers can't make use of their high attacks to interrupt her poking game due to her simply ducking them, allowing her even to strike straight out of disadvantage regardless.

Due to being so dangerous in close range with having tons of strings and quick launchers, she also does not deserve to have guaranteed critical burst options out of non-environmental situations. Something like this is absolutely legitimate on characters like Hayabusa who struggle with openers and unsafety while being supposed to shine in the stun game once the opponent is opened, but not for a strikers who's only real weakness is a lack of damage on throws.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD