DOA5LR "I'll Try My Best!"Naotora Ii Gameplay Discussion

Kirito

Well, she's really easy to hold. Also, anyone can interrupt her 6K string and get a free Hi Counter Hit since most of 6K's string has jump frames.

KING JAIMY

Nao's inputs are all over the place. you can perform her supposed PL with 8H+K instead of 7H+K. It also makes the Ii family creed input a lot easier to do since you won't have to automatically try to buffer the back input once you let go of 7.
I remember that being true too for other characters, like Ayane. You can input her P+KP7K and BT PP4PP7K as P+KP8K and BT PP4PP8K as well, respectively. That is because DOA truly doesn't have diagonal inputs incorporated in their system (they only make use of '2', '4', '6' and '8'). Diagonal inputs such as '7' are recognized as a combination of '4+8' in which case it would be satisfactory to only input '8' to get your command right. You can only input a 7 as an 8 when that character has no '8xx' move (i.e. Naotora has no 8H+K in her kit so an alternative to 7H+K is 8H+K, same can be said about Ayane: She has neither P+KP8K nor BT PP4PP8K in her kit so these are just alternatives. If Naotora did have an 8H+K input, then it obviously wouldn't work).

Since DOA technically knows no diagonal inputs, the same rule applies to other moves. You can skip diagonal inputs in quarter-circle or half-circle moves (e.g. 236P can also be inputted as 26P and 41236K can also be inputted as 426K).

Sorry for going slightly off-topic, just wanted to make it clear to you.
This braindead scrub made me lose 700 gp on danger zone cuz she could just spam k. Like you could just tell he has no actual thoughts. For his danger zone launch he has to put two inputs to do 40%. She's a ridiculous character
Says the one who has Rachel as their main. :rolleyes:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I remember that being true too for other characters, like Ayane. You can input her P+KP7K and BT PP4PP7K as P+KP8K and BT PP4PP8K as well, respectively. That is because DOA truly doesn't have diagonal inputs incorporated in their system (they only make use of '2', '4', '6' and '8'). Diagonal inputs such as '7' are recognized as a combination of '4+8' in which case it would be satisfactory to only input '8' to get your command right. You can only input a 7 as an 8 when that character has no '8xx' move (i.e. Naotora has no 8H+K in her kit so an alternative to 7H+K is 8H+K, same can be said about Ayane: She has neither P+KP8K nor BT PP4PP8K in her kit so these are just alternatives. If Naotora did have an 8H+K input, then it obviously wouldn't work).

Since DOA technically knows no diagonal inputs, the same rule applies to other moves. You can skip diagonal inputs in quarter-circle or half-circle moves (e.g. 236P can also be inputted as 26P and 41236K can also be inputted as 426K).

Says the one who has Rachel as their main. :rolleyes:
So if I'm understanding this correctly, does this mean for example I could use PP8K for Kasumi instead of PP7K? And instead of using 7H+K for phase 4's PL, I could really use just 8H+K? :-D

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'm not sure about that one. It might work for certain characters, it might not for others.
Thanks for the clarification, I may have to try that out when I get home from Driver's ed. :) I personally don't mind the easier PL input, it helps cut some corners in her move set, although she's already so simple to use XD

Raansu

Everything is paid DLC lol

I find her stuff less to be difficult just overly mashy, or has stupid input timings.

She has some stuff which probably a little bit TOO good, but its nothing worse than the resident damage dealers just crazy that she gets so much damage from a basic combo.

Then I'll have to pass lol.

KING JAIMY

Here are my thoughts so far on Naotora and what I'm still struggling with. I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out on how to play Naotora because I have no idea yet at all:

I've kind of figured out the fundamentals/very basics with Naotora (neutral game). I know that KK is very good in neutral because of its mere 11 startup frames. 4K is only i12 but the stun isn't that good but she has mix-ups after that move. 6PK2K is awesome because it produces a slip stun-like animation on normal floors which guarantees some stuff. Standalone 6P is good by itself too because the risk is minimal on block and the reward is high on CH. 3K is useful at longer ranges and a good poking tool (very similar to Marie Rose's 3K).

Her punches seem to come more into play in the stun game. Good stun extenders include 3P, 8P, P(P), 6P and 4P. Sometimes I tend to overcap the stun limit though, which in my case often leads to a Critical Finish. Therefore I would appreciate it if anyone could share some stnadardized CB setups/Critical Level 3 setups.

With regard to her BT game, I find it quite lacking with the exception of BT 4P which is a guaranteed launcher after 6PK2K and her BT 2P is awesome because of its ridiculous refloat capability.

I'm still struggling with her combos though. I have no idea what to do after each launcher and stun level. I've looked up the combo thread but the combos seem very dependent on weight class. Also, does Naotora have any single hit combo enders at all? If so, which one(s) can I use? I also don't know yet how to utilize her stance to its full potential. Do you use it anywhere outside of her Power Launcher at all? Oh and any help on Naotora's force techs is appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kyoto's Finest

Here are my thoughts so far on Naotora and what I'm still struggling with. I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out on how to play Naotora because I have no idea yet at all:

I've kind of figured out the fundamentals/very basics with Naotora (neutral game). I know that KK is very good in neutral because of its mere 11 startup frames. 4K is only i12 but the stun isn't that good but she has mix-ups after that move. 6PK2K is awesome because it produces a slip stun-like animation on normal floors which guarantees some stuff. Standalone 6P is good by itself too because the risk is minimal on block and the reward is high on CH. 3K is useful at longer ranges and a good poking tool (very similar to Marie Rose's 3K).

Her punches seem to come more into play in the stun game. Good stun extenders include 3P, 8P, P(P), 6P and 4P. Sometimes I tend to overcap the stun limit though, which in my case often leads to a Critical Finish. Therefore I would appreciate it if anyone could share some stnadardized CB setups/Critical Level 3 setups.

With regard to her BT game, I find it quite lacking with the exception of BT 4P which is a guaranteed launcher after 6PK2K and her BT 2P is awesome because of its ridiculous refloat capability.

I'm still struggling with her combos though. I have no idea what to do after each launcher and stun level. I've looked up the combo thread but the combos seem very dependent on weight class. Also, does Naotora have any single hit combo enders at all? If so, which one(s) can I use? I also don't know yet how to utilize her stance to its full potential. Do you use it anywhere outside of her Power Launcher at all? Oh and any help on Naotora's force techs is appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.
idk what any of that means but my go to crit burst set up is 6K , 3K , 4P, P. Its slower but it is mid mid high high. So yeah. I like it. When i launch them i love the basic kkk6kk. Or 6k4k, 4k4k. (i think those are the inputs.) im not good yet. I focus on crit finish with Naotora bc shes so obvious

KING JAIMY

idk what any of that means but my go to crit burst set up is 6K , 3K , 4P, P. Its slower but it is mid mid high high. So yeah. I like it. When i launch them i love the basic kkk6kk. Or 6k4k, 4k4k. (i think those are the inputs.) im not good yet. I focus on crit finish with Naotora bc shes so obvious
Thanks for your help. What exactly didn't you understand by the way?

Nikotsumi

Here's what I like the most for Cr level 3 launches. (You can replace the launcher with the CB for a CB setup)
(CH) KK > 6KK4K
(CH) KK > 6P > 6K4K
(CH) 4K2K > BT PP > 6K
(CH) 4K4K > BT P > 6K4K
(CH) K > 6KKK4K >
(CH) K > 6KK > 3P > H+K
Also, you can do a fast CB if you CH the opponent with a random move and then KK, exemple : 3P > KK > CB. You can add a P after KK to mix up things xD
BT 4K is also a guaranteed launcher after 6PK2K, and it's less unsafe than BT 4P.
I'm still struggling with her combos though. I have no idea what to do after each launcher and stun level. I've looked up the combo thread but the combos seem very dependent on weight class.
Don't know if I will be helpful here.... just know that her combos are easy and short, but damaging. Here's the moves you may want to use after a launcher (from the less damaging) : 4K2K, 4K4K, 6PK2K, 6PK4K, 6K4KK, 6K6KK, KK6KK, KKKKKKKK. (the damage of 6K6KK and KK6KK is the same on NH, but on CH & HiC KK6KK does more damage and it also hits walls). Use 6PK or 6K4K as relaunchers.
6K6KK works with almost every launcher on critical level 1 even on heavyweights (I might be wrong on this though)
Also, does Naotora have any single hit combo enders at all? If so, which one(s) can I use?
No, she doesn't have a single hit combo ender unfortunately D:
I also don't know yet how to utilize her stance to its full potential. Do you use it anywhere outside of her Power Launcher at all? Oh and any help on Naotora's force techs is appreciated as well.
Ii Family Creed moves have good range and exept for K and P+K they're safe. I didn't find yet a use for H+K, I use 2K and P when I'm far from the enemy, the best one being 2K in my opinion. You can also use them to bait a hold when the opponent is stunned and then.... T xD or when you know the opponent is not gonna use a wake up kick and tech instead.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I really love her K6KK, it works in virtually everything she has that launches. I found out yesterday that if you do 4H+K, instead of just using 236K, you can use K6KK instead if you run up to them, so that you won't have a wall splat.

@Nikotsumi you can use her Ii family creed H+K on hi counter hit to give you a guaranteed K6K, but only on hi counter hit. You can also use this on back turned opponents so you can get a guaranteed K6KK.

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

like, frames and stuff. I just think of the character match up, i change my playstyle
Fair enough. That's one way to adapt yourself to the opponent. In a fight, it might be useful to know how fast your moves are but it's not a necessity because your intuition is almost always right (i.e. you 'feel' when a move is fast/slow and you 'feel' when a move is safe or unsafe).

Thanks very much for the help, @Nikotsumi and @KasumiLover69! I will test these setups out tonight and see what I can accomplish with K6KK.

KING JAIMY

I've figured that 6K4K is a good launcher because the second kick is the same kick as 8K (which is a good launcher by itself). In Critical Stun Level 3 you can do gimmicky combos, like: 6K4K (Cr. Stun LV.3) > 6K4K > 6K4KK or 6K4K (Cr. Stun LV.3) > 6K4K > K6KK, kind of similar to Rig's K6K > K6K > 8KK combo.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I also found an alternative PL combo that's equally damaging to the Ii clan one if the CB was equal: 8K>8K>K6KK....you should be able to add a third 8K with alpha but I gotta test it first. And I'm gonna try to see if I can implement 6K4K in it somehow if it's fast enough.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Found a more damaging PL set up than the Ii clan one: After raw PL or CB into PL) 4H>6K4K>KKKKKKKK. It does 2 more damage points which isn't too major, but it's simple, and works on lights and mids, and those two points can prove crucial in a match that needs it.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Found a Naotora Glitch:

BTK6KK is not a natural move and eliminates proper stance. Upon letting go of K6K into falling down stance will swap. Move will have to be removed to just BTKKK setups or confirm it as an actual input.

It's DOA buffering system. DOA does in fact know diagonal inputs. The reason being is that DOA leans on being more generous than other fighters when it comes to inputs for any errors, shortcuts, and extra buffers. You could input 33233233P and the game will still register a 33P input, simply because DOA will auto confirm the closest point of an actual move since there is no such move as 33233233 (Which is why DOA can be playable on pad). WAZAAAA on FSD can explain it in a lot more depth.

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

It's DOA buffering system. DOA does in fact know diagonal inputs. The reason being is that DOA leans on being more generous than other fighters when it comes to inputs for any errors, shortcuts, and extra buffers. You could input 33233233P and the game will still register a 33P input, simply because DOA will auto confirm the closest point of an actual move since there is no such move as 33233233 (Which is why DOA can be playable on pad). WAZAAAA on FSD can explain it in a lot more depth.
Well.... if I remember correctly there was someone on FSD who taught me that directional inputs aren't actually recognized, but whatever. The buffering system is good as it is in my opinion and works out well for learning complex moves.

Nikotsumi

Just found something interesting with Naotora :
If you end a combo with 6K4KK and the opponents does a wake up kick you can do 9PK to go behind him leaving Naotora at 16 frames of advantage and thus guaranteeing a BT 4P launch.
If the opponent tech rolls just interrupt 9PK by doing only 9P and Naotora is left at -1 frame of disadvantage (-26 if you do the whole 9PK).
Note that it only works with 6K4KK as a combo ender, the (dis)advantage with other combo enders are : (6P)4K4K : +8, KK6KK : -2, K6KK : +0. So none of these guarantee BT 4P, which is a 14 frames move.
Be careful anyway though, because the opponent can always stay on the ground and do nothing.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD