Is online completely meaningless?

ookamunka

Online is great for practice! But in terms of determining a better player. Yeah, doesn't mean much of anything, a little more if the loser actually admits they lost to a superior player, but other than that, not really.

wiztick

Online is great for practice! But in terms of determining a better player. Yeah, doesn't mean much of anything, a little more if the loser actually admits they lost to a superior player, but other than that, not really.
Online is accurate enough to get the best practice =(.

Murakame

This is true. Alot of people like to blame alot of things on lag but don't even take the time to actually see if their opponent was legit. I've faced many people that made me go "damn I wish I could have a proper fight with this guy hes pretty good!" when lag interferes rather than rage like "omfg I'd destroy this scrub offline!" For the most part though offline is the most accurate gauge of skill.

ookamunka

Online is accurate enough to get the best practice =(.

I wouldn't say the "best" practice, but it can definitely be great practice with good connections and everything. I'm just saying, unless it's a tournament environment, or a money match, or at least when both players know there are some stakes on the line, how can you even tell if the other player is playing for real? I don't take ranked seriously, I just use it cuz usually people are trying to get points and win at all costs, and I use that for practice.

HiguraShiki

This is true. Alot of people like to blame alot of things on lag but don't even take the time to actually see if their opponent was legit. I've faced many people that made me go "damn I wish I could have a proper fight with this guy hes pretty good!" when lag interferes rather than rage like "omfg I'd destroy this scrub offline!" For the most part though offline is the most accurate gauge of skill.
Actually, I say the same thing. Sometimes I have great matches with people and say "Man, if only it didn't lag, the match would have been so much better".

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor

I know what you mean, I can't tell you how often that I've faced someone online that I know I'd have good matches with offline. I try to say GG to these people after the match to acknowledge their skill. However the thing that sucks about lag the most is not necessarily the input delay but that it influences how people play.

SaihateDYNAMO

The only problems I truly find with online is that it takes FOREVER to find a Ranked Match and no co-op tag or team matches.

(BTW is it me or the DOA5 online on Xbox is faster lately?)

phoenix1985gr

That's generally the purpose it just don't work well with DOA5.

This is so true... I was playing yesterday a match with a 2 bar connection (some lag but not unplayable) i remember at one time trying to go for a mid kick hold, but instead an advance low punch hold came out (it did catch him though not that im complaining lol), but i was lol wtf just happened?

I think you can say its enjoyable just playing and having fun, but not for practice... If you cant react at almost nothing and you have to try stuff preemptively and hope for the best... Its good enough to try combos juggles and stuff, but not for defence...

GrandMasterson

Online at least helps you with basic mind games and matchup experience. Obviously offline is better, but without people to play locally, you won't have much game experience.

I understand that, but winning a lot online doesn't really mean anything. You don't have the pressure of being at a tournament with anything on the line when you play online.

Everything changes at a tournament.

SilverKhaos

I understand that, but winning a lot online doesn't really mean anything. You don't have the pressure of being at a tournament with anything on the line when you play online.

Everything changes at a tournament.

Not really. You are still playing the same game, only difference is if you can work under pressure.

GrandMasterson

Not really. You are still playing the same game, only difference is if you can work under pressure.

No. You are not playing the same game offline as you are online. And yes, playing under pressure with pride and money on the line, whether you can work under it or not, changes everything.

I'm not saying you can't learn how to play the game at a competitive level online (PerfectLegend does). However, your accomplishments online aren't worth anything. Who cares what your online win/loss ratio is? Who cares what your rank is? Who cares who you beat online? Online casuals mean squat. Go to a tournament where it actually counts, which the DoA community BADLY needs to do if they want this game to live.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD