Itagaki talks DOA, thrashes DOA: Dimensions

Rafh2Lf.jpg

Pointed out to us by @grap3fruitman and posted on popular gaming forum NeoGAF, Tomonobu Itagaki, our long-favorite and past DOA producer, had some recent words to share in regards to his thoughts on the current state of DOA and what he thinks of Team Ninja in their current state.

Let's just say, he didn't really have anythinig quite nice to say about DOA: Dimensions.

Here's what Itagaki had to say:

There are a couple points that we do seem to disagree on though, "user X".
You say that DOA5 was the start of the problems (or nightmare?), but I think it started with DOA:Dimensions. I could sense it just minutes after turning the power on, and I immediately had to turn it off. Combos aren’t something that you do with a touch panel.

There is not an official publication of this discussion. The NeoGAF poster reports that this came from a Facebook reply to a user from Itagaki himself, dating back to about a month ago.

Read the full discussion over on NeoGAF.

Bounds. They're new to the DOA engine. Twist launchers. That's all.I can think of right now.
...and they are revolutionary (or inspiring) changes? If you are talking about bounds I'm thinking of, they already exist in DOA3.

Things like combo bouncing walls, can easily be added to DOA4.

Last edited:
OK let's not get into the details again. D Glock who was being a bit "evil" because he only posted the most controversial part Itagaki said during his talk. I doubt some of you even read the whole article.

Haha. Yes, I can be a little evil bastard at times.

3318.gif

DoA: D is the reason I even got into DoA. I agree that the touch system with combos is a dumb idea, but as a newbie to DoA, I had a visual representation of what each combo was supposed to look like when executed and had an example of the timing. Yes, the tag mode was shitty, and yes, the 3 point hold system is dumb as can be, but it had way more positives than negatives for me. The fact that TN didn't patch out the 3 point hold system is dumb though.

Touch combos can kill you once someone figures out you're doing it, because you're always finishing your strings.

As for patching, it wasn't even done yet, so TN probably didn't even realize it was possible. It required a system update to get Mario Kart 7 fixed. I'm not even sure the costume DLC was any more than a simple unlock code. Notice how DLC is done right now compared to how it was done before on the 3ds.

Last edited:
As for patching, it wasn't even done yet, so TN probably didn't even realize it was possible. It required a system update to get Mario Kart 7 fixed. I'm not even sure the costume DLC was any more than a simple unlock code. Notice how DLC is done right now compared to how it was done before on the 3ds.

The SpotPass costumes were not unlock keys. They actually were new sets of data. Having the entire set of them takes up somewhere around 200 blocks on the SD card you store them on, and other players could only see you wearing those costumes if they also had the costumes themselves.

The SpotPass costumes were not unlock keys. They actually were new sets of data. Having the entire set of them takes up somewhere around 200 blocks on the SD card you store them on, and other players could only see you wearing those costumes if they also had the costumes themselves.

Was too lazy to look, but makes sense.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD