Latest Tekken Tag Tournament 2 trailer: Another jab at DoA5?

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I wasn't counting a portable release and a demo/port/movie as a new release.

DR2K

I guess since T6 sold 3.5 million, following that was Hybrid and 3D? If your seriously counting those then we should totally count DOAP oh wait....yeah.

the console exclusive characters are "clones" I guess. Any Chang player back in Tag would tell you that both Michelle and Julia are different, Same with the guys who Ran Ogre's, Kunimitsu is so different you can't say shes a clone of anyone, Angel is whatever, P.Jack is nothing like Jack-6, Rip said it himself that Forest is really different from Marshal, don't know about Alex, Tiger...I'll give you that one.

Clones or not, they are different enough to not even be considered clones anymore, so the roster is still around 45 to 50 characters, I mean seriously they had 6-9 new characters in the last few installments(back from DR) and im not counting the return of A.King either. Tekken's Roster is still rather big but not even close to SF.

All sold to retail. Tekken 6 never debuted on any chart because no one bought it. Hence why you were able to buy it for 19.99 in the same month. SfxTekken bombed, Tekken Hybrid bombed, and Tekken 3DS have bombed(selling way less than DOAD). No 1 selling 3D fighting franshise, maybe in your hearts?

Clones are characters that derive from each other via animations. Tekken is notorious for fudging their roster with it.

DriftSlave

All sold to retail. Tekken 6 never debuted on any chart because no one bought it. Hence why you were able to buy it for 19.99 in the same month. SfxTekken bombed, Tekken Hybrid bombed, and Tekken 3DS have bombed(selling way less than DOAD). No 1 selling 3D fighting franshise, maybe in your hearts?

Clones are characters that derive from each other via animations. Tekken is notorious for fudging their roster with it.
how are you going to count a capcom game(SFxT) :confused: really and for your information, DOAD didn't sell that well either in fact SFxT did sell better then DOAD but to you that means it bombed....lol I like your way of thinking. All I can say is when September rolls I wont be the one not playing a game at majors...just saying bro...but wait no one plays tekken :p

DR2K

how are you going to count a capcom game(SFxT) :confused: really and for your information, DOAD didn't sell that well either in fact SFxT did sell better then DOAD but to you that means it bombed....lol I like your way of thinking. All I can say is when September rolls I wont be the one not playing a game at majors...just saying bro...but wait no one plays tekken :p

Because SFxTK has the Tekken brand name on it. Which apparantly is big thing, right?

DOAD and SFXTK sold similarly actually. Only one was on an install base of 100+ million and the other on a brand new console.

DriftSlave

Because SFxTK has the Tekken brand name on it. Which apparantly is big thing, right?

DOAD and SFXTK sold similarly actually. Only one was on an install base of 100+ million and the other on a brand new console.
is that an excuse? also mind you DOAD had about 2 years or more on the market already whereas SFxT has what? almost 6 months?....humm.

by your standards DOAD bombed too right? since SFxT did that gracefully right?

Lets fact it, September is going to be hell for any game coming out that month with other Triple A titles coming out before and after them, Mainly Assasins Creed 3 and Boarderlands 2...Then you got Tekken Tag2 to deal with...I think most of that comes out before DOA5 so....uhhg...not a good look.

DOA5 Still has a shit load of pre-orders though....more so then Tag2 actually but idk how the overall sales are going to look and the year end jazz either....

DR2K

is that an excuse? also mind you DOAD had about 2 years or more on the market already whereas SFxT has what? almost 6 months?....humm.

by your standards DOAD bombed too right? since SFxT did that gracefully right?

Lets fact it, September is going to be hell for any game coming out that month with other Triple A titles coming out before and after them, Mainly Assasins Creed 3 and Boarderlands 2...Then you got Tekken Tag2 to deal with...I think most of that comes out before DOA5 so....uhhg...not a good look.

DOA5 Still has a shit load of pre-orders though....more so then Tag2 actually but idk how the overall sales are going to look and the year end jazz either....

Regardless of how we spin sales nothing is going in Tekkens favor, lol. I'd say DOAD is more of a success than SFxTK, absolutely. Capcom did a lot of damage to the Tekken brand(hence all the "free" dlc for TTT2)

There's a reason Namco pushed TTT2 as far away as december as they could. Any game not a major AAA is sent to die.

DriftSlave

Regardless of how we spin sales nothing is going in Tekkens favor, lol. I'd say DOAD is more of a success than SFxTK, absolutely. Capcom did a lot of damage to the Tekken brand(hence all the "free" dlc for TTT2)

There's a reason Namco pushed TTT2 as far away as december as they could. Any game not a major AAA is sent to die.
It was clearly stated that Capcom had nothing to do with Tag2's free DLC character moniker, where did you get that Idea? DOAD was more of a success then SFxT? I guess, love it or hate it, the game not only sold well but went to EVO....has big budget tournaments behind it, and has a decent community that plays it...what does DOAD have over this? It didn't have any controversy? Oh well....?

I don't see how being released 2 weeks after Tag2 helps DOA5 sales over Tekken...let alone it's tournament life? If anything DOA5 will have it the worse because after all the casuals play it...then what? you win because you had more sales then tekken in the first year but no one plays your game afterwards? congratulations...

True Fact, Tekken 6 was at EVO 3 years straight....lets see DOA do better.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
SFxT sold pretty well, actually. 1.5 million units, I want to say? That's not bad by any stretch. They talked about that stuff in an earnings call. I think it missed internal projections slightly but that's a respectable number.

Blazeincarnated

It was clearly stated that Capcom had nothing to do with Tag2's free DLC character moniker, where did you get that Idea? DOAD was more of a success then SFxT? I guess, love it or hate it, the game not only sold well but went to EVO....has big budget tournaments behind it, and has a decent community that plays it...what does DOAD have over this? It didn't have any controversy? Oh well....?

I don't see how being released 2 weeks after Tag2 helps DOA5 sales over Tekken...let alone it's tournament life? If anything DOA5 will have it the worse because after all the casuals play it...then what? you win because you had more sales then tekken in the first year but no one plays your game afterwards? congratulations...

ayane_vs_lili_xnalara_02_by_enlightendshadow-d518ynh.jpg

Yeahh, no contest.

Skilletor

Yeah, I couldn't really care less how TTT2 or DoA5 does commercially. TTT2 will be a game with a competitive player base on a national level. That is far more important to me.

DoA5 will be played online and...I guess in Texas.

As opposed to DoA5 which is coming out two weeks later? lol.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Lol, that depends on how well Doa5 turns out. If it is good, I am sure the East coast will show it love.

UnD34D

I don't know who you are, but I think you may be slightly retarded. No Dead or Alive has ever sold as well as any Tekken... I haven't looked at numbers for portable consoles, but what competitive player buys a portable fighting game? Has one ever been considered good? I had Tekken 6 on my PSP solely to practice muscle memorization while I was in cars and not driving, other than that, I wouldn't touch a fighting game on a PSP or DS or whatever. I go to arcades and not only do I not see a single DOA machine, I wait in lines to get on the TTT2 machines. I get on Tekken 6 online, and not only is Japan notorious for not wanting to play on consoles or online, but there are still TONS of filled rooms, and yet I got on DOA4 online and there are maybe 4 rooms with fanboys that don't even know how to play the game. I'll edit this post after I found and source actual sales numbers for you fucking idiots. Not only is Tekken a more thought out, balanced, and well made fighting game, but it sells a fuck ton better and has a world wide competitive scene.

edit:

Tekken 6: 3,780,000
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Tekken+6

Dead or Alive 4: 500,000
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/479/dead-or-alive-4/

So not only did Tekken 6 come out four years later, but it fucking straight murdered Dead or Alive in sales. Now where is this info that Tekken hasn't sold well coming from?

Skilletor

I don't know who you are, but I think you may be slightly retarded. No Dead or Alive has ever sold as well as any Tekken... I haven't looked at numbers for portable consoles, but what competitive player buys a portable fighting game? Has one ever been considered good? I had Tekken 6 on my PSP solely to practice muscle memorization while I was in cars and not driving, other than that, I wouldn't touch a fighting game on a PSP or DS or whatever. I go to arcades and not only do I not see a single DOA machine, I wait in lines to get on the TTT2 machines. I get on Tekken 6 online, and not only is Japan notorious for not wanting to play on consoles or online, but there are still TONS of filled rooms, and yet I got on DOA4 online and there are maybe 4 rooms with fanboys that don't even know how to play the game. I'll edit this post after I found and source actual sales numbers for you fucking idiots. Not only is Tekken a more thought out, balanced, and well made fighting game, but it sells a fuck ton better and has a world wide competitive scene.

I do. UMvC3 on Vita has amazing online play and is great for practice. I would buy DoA5 and TTT2 in a heartbeat. Unless I'm playing a Mishima character, a pad (especially the amazing Vita pad) is perfectly fine for Tekken, and DoA5 hardly requires complex motions. :)

I can't play SF on a pad, but SC, DoA, TTT...yeah, port those to Vita plz.

I mean, I agree on the whole (I would never buy a handheld fighter for competitive play, only for practice), and you being in Japan offers you a different perspective, but handhelds have come a long way.

UnD34D

I do. UMvC3 on Vita has amazing online play and is great for practice. I would buy DoA5 and TTT2 in a heartbeat. Unless I'm playing a Mishima character, a pad (especially the amazing Vita pad) is perfectly fine for Tekken, and DoA5 hardly requires complex motions. :)

I can't play SF on a pad, but SC, DoA, TTT...yeah, port those to Vita plz.

I mean, I agree on the whole (I would never buy a handheld fighter for competitive play, only for practice), and you being in Japan offers you a different perspective, but handhelds have come a long way.

I mean we're in agreeance that you're not going to play on a portable competitively, which is one of the points I was raising. Sales number for portable games aren't anything anyone should go off for a games popularity because I mean, the games fanbase won't whole-heartedly go out and purchase this game because if you're practicing for the game, you should be practicing in the format you're going to play it. I don't play T6 on a 360 pad for practice when I know when I go to a tournament I'll be playing on a PS3 pad or a stick. Even if we were comparing portable sales, T6 on the PSP almost beat out DOA4 on 360's sales, let alone DOA:D's sales.

Skilletor

I mean we're in agreeance that you're not going to play on a portable competitively, which is one of the points I was raising. Sales number for portable games aren't anything anyone should go off for a games popularity because I mean, the games fanbase won't whole-heartedly go out and purchase this game because if you're practicing for the game, you should be practicing in the format you're going to play it. I don't play T6 on a 360 pad for practice when I know when I go to a tournament I'll be playing on a PS3 pad or a stick. Even if we were comparing portable sales, T6 on the PSP almost beat out DOA4 on 360's sales, let alone DOA:D's sales.

Yeah, I think one of the reasons T6's numbers are so high is because the PSP version sold really well in Europe.

UnD34D

Yeah, I think one of the reasons T6's numbers are so high is because the PSP version sold really well in Europe.
No. Its because the game is solid as fuck and has been since Tekken 3. It has a devout following all over the world, especially in Japan and America. The game is equalled only by Virtua Fighter in being considered the god father of 3D fighting games. The only time you see a dip in Tekken sales is Tekken 4 because of the radical system changes from TTT. Handheld sales had nothing to do with it, most players buy the handheld versions after the consoles to do exactly what I described I do with it. I refuse to go look up opening day sales but I can assure you they are ridiculous.

DR2K

edit:

Tekken 6: 3,780,000
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Tekken 6

Dead or Alive 4: 500,000
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/479/dead-or-alive-4/

So not only did Tekken 6 come out four years later, but it fucking straight murdered Dead or Alive in sales. Now where is this info that Tekken hasn't sold well coming from?

You sound hurt. I'd wipe away your tears through my moniter if I could.

VGchartz is not a reputable source for sales. It's all guess work based + NPD data. Tekken 6 did not sell those copies infact as far as any tracker in the world concerned it barely charted and left shortly after. NPD, Media create, and EU tacker have it at embarassing lows. They sure managed to stuff the retail channel with copies of Tekken 6, no one could argue that.

No, Harada has been doing damage control for SFxTK out the ass load.

I saw one of the evo champions throw the the trophy in the garbage. That's the SFxTK community for you. Sold well? It shipped a million less than Capcom wanted and barely sold 400k worldwide.

Fact is less and less people are playing and buying Tekken over the years. Even the Tekken community is aware of their declining numbers at every level.

Yeah, I couldn't really care less how TTT2 or DoA5 does commercially. TTT2 will be a game with a competitive player base on a national level. That is far more important to me.

DoA5 will be played online and...I guess in Texas.

As opposed to DoA5 which is coming out two weeks later? lol.

Yes away from the AAA killers.

UnD34D

You sound hurt. I'd wipe away your tears through my moniter if I could.

VGchartz is not a reputable source for sales. It's all guess work based + NPD data. Tekken 6 did not sell those copies infact as far as any tracker in the world concerned it barely charted and left shortly after. NPD, Media create, and EU tacker have it at embarassing lows. They sure managed to stuff the retail channel with copies of Tekken 6, no one could argue that.

Lol I'm not hurt, I'm using fact to prove you wrong because your spouting shit with no sources thats just plain wrong as I pointed out. The only reason I used VGchartz as my source was because it was the HIGHEST number for DOA I could find. Tekken isn't declining in any sense, as I said before, you're just an idiot. You're even using a game, SFxT and calling it a Tekken game when most Tekken players don't play it because 1. its a 2D fighter, not a 3D and 2. its a straight garbage game. Even SF4 players don't play the shit. Thats like saying Street Fighters numbers are declining because SFxT didn't sell well, which you also can't say. The game isn't SF or Tekken, but its ESPECIALLY not Tekken.

Next you'll be telling me Soul Calibur is Tekken because you can pick Devil Jins fighting style. Tekken Hybrid also isn't a NEW Tekken game... its a movie, a HD remake of TTT and a demo of TTT2, no one would EVER consider that a new game and compare its sales to a new game. So I should compare SF2: HD Remix's sales to KoF XIII's?

Why don't you site some sources and show some real numbers if you want to present an argument, if not why don't you suck my dick?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD