Master File : Tier List(4.1).

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Here is an overall ranking of all the characters in the game. The ranking is made by comparing each of the characters Throws, Holds, Close range attacks, Attack power and crouch status(crushing attacks, as well as attacks from the crouch position)

Throw:

Throw ranking is determined by amount of damage a character's throw (7-12 frames) does.

Hold:

Hold ranking is determined by amount of damage a character's Holds (H:p/H:K/M:p/M:k/L:p/L:K/J:p/J:K) does.

Close Range Attacks:

Ranking for close range attacks are determining by how fast a characters High/Mid/low attack executes.

Attack power:

Attack power is the amount of damage an attack does. This includes, but not limited to the amount of damage an attack does within a combo, string, or single blow.

Crouch status:

Crouch status is based on moves that execute(or goes into) a crouching/low state. This includes, but not limited to High crushes, Low OH, Special low stances like BKO and Lie down stance, :2:P etc. A characters effectiveness while in crouch status determins his rating.

1)Hayabusa
Throw: 4.5
Hold: 4.5
Close Range Attacks: 3.5
Attack power: 4
Crouch status: 5
Total: 21.5

1)Ayane
Throw: 4
Hold: 3.5
Close Range Attacks: 4.5
Attack power: 5
Crouch status: 4.5
Total: 21.5

3)Kasumi
Throw: 2.5
Close Range Attacks: 5
Attack power: 4.5
Crouch status: 4
Total: 20.5

3)Hayate
Throw: 5
Close Range Attacks: 4
Crouch status: 3.5
Total: 20.5

5)Gen Fu
Attack power: 3.5
Total: 20

6)Lei Fang
Throw: 3.5
Hold: 5
Close Range Attacks: 4
Crouch status: 2.5
Total: 19

7)Tina
Hold: 3
Crouch status: 3
Total: 18.5

7)Spartan
Hold: 4
Close Range Attacks: 2.5
Crouch status: 2
Total: 18.5

9)Eliot
Close Range Attacks: 3
Total: 18

9)Bayman
Throw: 2
Hold: 5
Attack power: 3

9)Helena
Throw:2.5

12)Kokoro
Throw: 3
Hold: 2.5
Total: 17.5

12)Brad Wong
Attack power: 2

12)Zack

15)Leon
Total: 17

15)Jann Lee
Hold: 2

15)La Mariposa
Close Range Attacks: 2.5
Attack power: 2.5
Crouch status: 4

18)Christie
Hold: 2
Total: 16

19)Ein
Total: 15

20)Hitomi
Total: 14.5

20)Bass
Close Range Attacks: 2
Attack power: 2
Crouch status: 3

20)Tengu
Close Range Attacks: 2
Attack power: 2.5

Perfect Legend

This is probably a good basis to go from as far as a strict tools tier list without factoring in matchups but the list can change once matchups are factored in. This list is also taken from the Masterfile book.

IcyProduct

Even going by this tier list...i just fail to see how Brad Wong is better than the likes of Jann Lee or Ein...I really don't see it. How come ranged moves aren't included?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The masterfile was made by Mochi-a, a Japanese player. All this thread is doing is posting it on the board as another opinion on the tier list. This was made shortly after the release of the game (I believe one month).

Game Over

Tier Lists are merely guidelines, anyway, to compare the tools each character has compared to each other, and how hard each character has to work to win.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Exactly. Being lower on the tier list doesn't mean that the character will never win against a top tier character, it's just they have less options/chances in a given matchup.

HajinShinobi

The tier list does have it's importance in this game, because it shows the strengths and weaknesses each character has against one another. It's just that this game (DOA4) is pretty balanced enough for each and every character to hold their own and possibly win against higher tier characters.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
She can hang with most of the cast, but it is just really difficult to do so.

MasterHavik

Zack is a beast. Why is rank that low.? If I recall he has two catch throws. And his fucking speed and mix up are insane.

Raansu

Zack is a beast. Why is rank that low.? If I recall he has two catch throws. And his fucking speed and mix up are insane.

You guys need to read the OP and look at the numbers. This isn't a traditional tier list based on bias and what characters can do in specific situations (thats not all of it but im bare boning my explanation cuz im tired). The entire list is built mostly around a more mathematical approach, and even then its pretty accurate to most of the traditional tier lists the community has come up with.

Zack is far from being a beast. He's not terrible, but he's no beast. He's roughly mid tier, and this list has him roughly mid strength. I'd say its pretty accurate. He suffers similar problems that Hitomi has. Not very many setups, and needs to rely on parlor tricks and string mixups to get around his easy to read strings and lacks good launchers that the higher tier cast members have. He makes up some of this with his speed, but that only goes so far. The only advantage Hitomi has over him is her parry. Some would say he has those dodges, but those are really only good in specific situations and are mostly used in parlor tricks.

MeanMrMustard

I never agreed with this list. I don't think all the factors that made a character good in practice are listed here such as how safe that character is or what set ups they have to get damage (which I always though was pretty important). Strictly going by numbers can give a pretty warped look at things. Take Kasumi for example, I think she has all the right tools, but IMO it is very difficult for her to get her damage. I also think this is one of the few games where the meta game dictates how good or bad a character is also. I think this is why Gen Fu was one of the best because he was so good at limiting options and forcing situations.

Fuzzieviking

I can see how hitomi is bad,but i just find it odd that this tier list is the opposite of where hitomi places in other tier lists. Thats why im so shocked.

Raansu

I can see how hitomi is bad,but i just find it odd that this tier list is the opposite of where hitomi places in other tier lists. Thats why im so shocked.

Because this is not a traditional tier list. It's a different take on the tier list ranking based on numbers, and most normal tier lists rank Hitomi higher because of her punch parry, which is indeed one of her best tools, but many ppl overrate it.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I think the confusion lies in calling it a "tier list." It's not. The Japanese 4.1 guide just sort of goes "Let's rank each character's strengths on a scale of 1 to 5 and compile that." It doesn't take into the consideration an actual tier list would.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD