Meter: Yay or nay?

Do you like how it has been implemented in DOA6 so far?

• Total voters

Raansu

Akumasama said:
I think BH are their way to compensate/balance the fact that in DoA6 so far there tends to be more unescapable/guaranteed damage strings than there were in previous games.

Aside from danger zones, there really isn't. I understand the BH for fatal rush strings and I think that's fine as well as being able to break hold out of BB cancel since that's a risk you take with meter, but I feel FSDS should be excluded and treated the same way as danger zones in which you can't BH out of.

Akumasama said:
Plus it adds a lot of depth to the guessing and mind games typical of the series.
Your opponent has a full charge, will he go for a deadly combo using it to finish? Will he use BB as a combo extender? Will he use it for a break hold to interrupt your combos?

I guess? I mean not really honestly. Do they have meter? Let the BB finish. No meter? Cancel and do your combo. That doesn't really add anything to the depth or lack thereof.

Reactions: d3v

d3v

Break Holds serve their purpose as a way to make people think about how they'll spend their meter, instead of just saving it for full bar and then spending it for damage. They form part of a system where there isn't always one correct way to spend meter, but each leads to different scenarios that can either win or lose the game for the player.

Raansu

Break Holds serve their purpose as a way to make people think about how they'll spend their meter, instead of just saving it for full bar and then spending it for damage. They form part of a system where there isn't always one correct way to spend meter, but each leads to different scenarios that can either win or lose the game for the player.

Which is fine. I would just like at least one scenario in the stun game where they don't exist though and that should be FSDS imo. Fatal rush and BB cancel totally understandable, but give us something that is completely inescapable outside of danger zones.

Raansu

Don't we have air juggles for that?

Ya great, except for the constant guessing game you have to play before you get to that. Hitomi in DoA5 could get 46k into a guaranteed BT stun follow up of 6h+k~6p+k 33p launcher into a full juggle. That kick was a high kick, slow, unsafe on block and the range of the stun was completely dependent on if you were in open or closed stance. The wrong stance and it pushes them further away limiting you to a single free hit.

That is risk vs reward. Using that kick is completely pointless in DoA6 because you can hold out of that stun now. High risk scenarios like that should always lead to a reward. Example, punishing a low throw with a FSDS should reward a guaranteed launcher into a juggle. Ya sure I could punish with 33p or 9k instead if I make the read, but imo that makes the FSDS a completely pointless mechanic if you can just burn only 50% of your meter to get out of something you just got punished for.

IMO either make FSDS cause BH to require 100% meter or make it 100% inescapable, because we've pretty much lost all the other inescapable stuns outside the few character exceptions of BT setups....most of which you recover from after 1 or 2 hits.

MasterHavik

This is literally the worst part about it. If I read you doing a low hold and punish you with a FSDS, why should I have to play another read after punishing you? Makes the move pointless, especially since BH only cost 50%. IMO if you're in a fatal stun it should take your whole bar.

I get that people like to be able to escape situations and that part of doa is the mind games, but there needs to be more situations in doa where you can't escape. DoA5 was hit or miss on it depending on the character, but in 6 they have gone the opposite direction. Like I seriously can't get past the doa4 hybrid feeling of this game. Minus a few exceptions, practically every stun is escapable.
I think it's better this time as you only get one shot to really hold out of something. They also adjusted damage scaling to where shorter combos do more than longer combos. You can bait the break hold out and throw them for going for it. This would be mroe of an issue if meter gain was insane but it's not.

Ya great, except for the constant guessing game you have to play before you get to that. Hitomi in DoA5 could get 46k into a guaranteed BT stun follow up of 6h+k~6p+k 33p launcher into a full juggle. That kick was a high kick, slow, unsafe on block and the range of the stun was completely dependent on if you were in open or closed stance. The wrong stance and it pushes them further away limiting you to a single free hit.

That is risk vs reward. Using that kick is completely pointless in DoA6 because you can hold out of that stun now. High risk scenarios like that should always lead to a reward. Example, punishing a low throw with a FSDS should reward a guaranteed launcher into a juggle. Ya sure I could punish with 33p or 9k instead if I make the read, but imo that makes the FSDS a completely pointless mechanic if you can just burn only 50% of your meter to get out of something you just got punished for.

IMO either make FSDS cause BH to require 100% meter or make it 100% inescapable, because we've pretty much lost all the other inescapable stuns outside the few character exceptions of BT setups....most of which you recover from after 1 or 2 hits.
Uh....I found combos during the beta where you only get one guess and that's it outside of break hold. I think you're overreacting a little bit.

Raansu

MasterHavik said:
I think it's better this time as you only get one shot to really hold out of something. They also adjusted damage scaling to where shorter combos do more than longer combos. You can bait the break hold out and throw them for going for it. This would be mroe of an issue if meter gain was insane but it's not.

The whole point is the baiting scenario shouldn't exist. Its just another guessing element that wasn't needed. And meter gain is still relatively fast. I can literally almost get 50% meter from 1 short setup into a juggle and that's not counting meter gained in between from blocks/holds/throws

MasterHavik said:
Uh....I found combos during the beta where you only get one guess and that's it outside of break hold.

Ya I'm not seeing the problem here. That's how it should be and I loved it. Break holds were way less intrusive in the beta as they required 100% meter to use.

d3v

Some of you act like you've never played games where meter gave you a "get out of combo" free card that you had to bait out... oh wait... *laughs in airdashers*

Brute

Standard Donor
Some of you act like you've never played games where meter gave you a "get out of combo" free card that you had to bait out... oh wait... *laughs in airdashers*
I've played lots of games I don't like.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD