Mirror's Edge Catalyst

P2p1mbs

Anyone playing this yet? I've only just finished the tutorials and opened up some side missions but already I can tell I'm going to lose hours playing this.

Some of my first impressions:
  • The game looks TERRIBLE on xbone; it seems to me like it only slightly looks better than the first game. I really regret getting an xbone over ps4...
  • I played the first game on pc and find it hard to get used to a controller. It doesn't help that there's only 3 control schemes.
  • Skill building is ok since it motivates me to keep playing to unlock new abilities but it sucks that rolling and the 180 quick turn have to be unlocked as well.
  • The openness of the city really shows just how much of a demo the first game really was.
  • Combat still feels off, but new combat focused moves helps slightly.
  • Removing the crunching sound when Faith falls off a building doesn't make it any less scary when it does happen (then again, I'm afraid of heights). It seems to be replaced with Faith sounding out of breath for some reason.
  • One of the first loading screen tips I saw references the giant rat easter egg from the first game.
  • There are now people in the city but (at least early in) it still feels empty, probably because everything happens on rooftops...

UpSideDownGRUNT

Its not out yet in Europe >.>

I should hopefully be getting it tomorrow though, I'm super excited to play the final version.

Argentus

I can't afford it at the moment so its just on my list.

Loved the first one but not holding my breath over this one.

None of the trailers showed any gameplay, just cut scenes, which the first game had virtually none of, so kind of a bad sign to me. Plus its been years and this sequel I'm betting won't compare to the original.

UpSideDownGRUNT

None of the trailers showed any gameplay, just cut scenes, which the first game had virtually none of, so kind of a bad sign to me. Plus its been years and this sequel I'm betting won't compare to the original.
Catalyst is actually better in almost every way, the only major flaw I can see right now is there's bad texture pop in and the level design isn't quite as good as the original's (though that could be because it's open world now)

Everything else tough is far superior, gunplay is removed and melee combat is actually a viable option with light and heavy attacks, you can attack while free running, Faith has a dodge move, climbing is more fluid and seems together nicely and everything just controls better.

P2p1mbs

If you liked the first one, you'll like this one. They took everything that worked well then and improved upon it; combat is much deeper and ties very well into movement and the fact that its now open world really takes advantage of all the movement abilities. My biggest complaint is that they added in skill building and you have to unlock the roll and quick turn abilities but they're pretty easy to unlock quickly so once you have those, it becomes everything the first game tried and failed to do.

Just don't expect a better story, I'm not too far in the game and its clear they're trying to give Faith more personality but it doesn't seem all too interesting; she feels to me like a female version of Ajay from Far Cry 4 (boring).

Argentus

If you liked the first one, you'll like this one. They took everything that worked well then and improved upon it; combat is much deeper and ties very well into movement and the fact that its now open world really takes advantage of all the movement abilities. My biggest complaint is that they added in skill building and you have to unlock the roll and quick turn abilities but they're pretty easy to unlock quickly so once you have those, it becomes everything the first game tried and failed to do.

Just don't expect a better story, I'm not too far in the game and its clear they're trying to give Faith more personality but it doesn't seem all too interesting; she feels to me like a female version of Ajay from Far Cry 4 (boring).

I don't recall the first game failing at anything which is why I'm so skeptical. Especially about the move to open world which is totally unneeded.

I'm kinda over open world games because they feel directionless.

I'm still getting this, just like I said, I'm skeptical about the changes

UpSideDownGRUNT

Trust me, it's plays identical to the original just better. No need to really be skeptical at all.

I played the original after playing the beta... I just couldn't.... The original felt so stiff, clunky and unbalanced in comparison to Catalyst, runner vision can be customised to work like the old style too, with the red line only appearing when you want it.

P2p1mbs

I don't recall the first game failing at anything which is why I'm so skeptical. Especially about the move to open world which is totally unneeded.

I personally didn't like the combat in the first game. The combat here still feels awkward but that's probably just me still getting used to it.

As for the game going open world, I personally felt this really highlights the platforming of the series at its best as you have far less restrictions in where you can go.

Nuke-Nin

Catalyst is actually better in almost every way, the only major flaw I can see right now is there's bad texture pop in and the level design isn't quite as good as the original's (though that could be because it's open world now)

Everything else tough is far superior, gunplay is removed and melee combat is actually a viable option with light and heavy attacks, you can attack while free running, Faith has a dodge move, climbing is more fluid and seems together nicely and everything just controls better.
what about the lack of explaining how to do the 3rd person finishers x-x

NightAntilli

I pre-ordered the collectors edition on Amazon for the Xbox One, but on launch day they didn't have enough. I'll be receiving my copy next week apparently...

I also bought it on PC, but my old HD6850 can't handle the game on anything but the lowest settings. So.... Didn't play much of it. I played a lot of the beta though. I always loved Mirror's Edge, and this one's no exception.

As for the Xbox One version looking bad, the PS4 isn't that much better. It's only a resolution bump from 720p to 900p with practically the same graphics..;

Last edited:

P2p1mbs

I'm now over halfway thru the story and now keep running into cops at nearly every building and have to run away from the patrols. It's really annoying; reminds me of Far Cry 2's respawning enemy outposts. The game is starting to lose the fun...

Also; anyone really annoyed that nearly ALL the side activities are timed? I get that speed running was a big thing before but making everything a race is just uncreative.

NightAntilli

Just wait for the RX 480. I'm quite sure you'll be able to afford one. Otherwise, the RX 470 should suffice.

The latest update sucked... I could run the game on my HD6850, but now you require a specific driver version or newer. But since my card is so old it doesn't get driver updates anymore, meaning, I can't play the game... Ugh. They really dropped the ball on this one.

Thankfully my Xbox One version is on the way...

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Just wait for the RX 480. I'm quite sure you'll be able to afford one. Otherwise, the RX 470 should suffice.

The latest update sucked... I could run the game on my HD6850, but now you require a specific driver version or newer. But since my card is so old it doesn't get driver updates anymore, meaning, I can't play the game... Ugh. They really dropped the ball on this one.

Thankfully my Xbox One version is on the way...

I got a Gsync monitor so I have to stick with Nvidia. Already got a 1080 pre-ordered but its not going to arrive for weeks..................>.>

UpSideDownGRUNT

Having beating the story, I have to say I'm a little disappointed in it especially the length... it's only like 12 missions long if that.
I still feel the level design is worse in this game, but the aesthetics and gameplay are still top notch. It's also nice that we can just take a break and do our own thing.

I still say overall this game is better than the original for various reasons, but, the original does do mission structure and mission variety alot better.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD