Moves to practice

Extra

Akira's an execution heavy character. I think having a list of things to practice to make sure you can execute vital attacks are important. Here're my suggestions:

1) 1 frame knee (:H+K: , release :h: after one frame) :
It's important to practice this move simply because you cannot maximize his juggle damage without doing it. Just about all combos benefit from the knee.
I use this combo to practice the knee:
As an actual launcher, I'm still not convinced that the knee is better than Youhou (:3::3::P:) , since the frame data shows it's not really faster. But being able to do the knee will provide an alternate launcher (less chance of being counterheld). There are already posts regarding how to do the knee, so I won't dwell on it here.

2) Instant byakko/double palm (:3_::4::6::P:) :
I feel being able to pull this off is very beneficial to Akira's game. It's fast (13 frames), fairly good reach, and has a good hitbox. In a way it's similar to his back check (:4::6::6::P+K:), but the back check is slower and also has more disadvantage on block (but longer range). Even though it is not safe, but because of the double palm's speed and hitbox, you can interrupt a lot of attacks with this at close-mid range.

There are three ways to do this move. The first way is to input :3::3: (forward crouch dash):4::6::P: as fast as you can. However, I feel that doing it using this method requires a lot of hand dexterity, and due to the way I hold the stick, I can only do it consistently on P1 side and not P2 side.
From the audio of this video you can hear the rhythm of this motion on a stick:
There's a slight crouch when doing this move without buffering. I can't seem to get rid of it.
The second method is to do :214::6::P:. It requires practice to do this consistently. I can't do it consistently yet.
Two common moves that may come out of not executing this correctly are:
-:214::P:: If this move comes out instead, it usually means the system did not register the :1: input. If you're on a stick, it might be because your rolling motion is so fast that you only inputted :2::4: instead of :214:. Make absolutely sure you hit that :1: input.
-:3_::6::P:: If this move comes out, it means you didn't roll the stick all the way to :4: to hit that :214: input.
Here's a video of me doing Byakko using this method:
There's a slight jitter backwards before the double palm comes out.

There's also a third method of doing Instant double palm.
The input is :4::6::3_: :P:. Mr. Wah relayed this technique to me, as :3_: is an instant crouch, and this does indeed work for Akira's double palm. The trick is to hold :3_: until you see the initial frames of crouch, then press :P:. Doing it too early before you see the crouching animation and the move wouldn't come out for me. I recommend inputting the command slower than the other two methods.

A video of this is in the post below (there's a 5 videos limit per post).

3) Dragon Lance Combo (:3::H+K: :P::4::6::6::P+K:):
This move is also important because of juggle potential. The reason you want to do the true Dragon Lance Combo instead of the "fake one" (:3::H+K: :P::P+K:) is because the last hit will often miss on the fake DLC, especially if you are attempting to maximize damage. Damage wise it's only 1 point of damage difference, so you are practicing this move for juggle reliability, and not really damage.
In this video you can see the last hit of fake DLC missing (it will ALWAYS miss) but a true DLC will connect:
The entire command input should be done in one continuous execution as quickly as possible. Each input needs to be clean. For example, :4::6::6: must come AFTER :P: is pressed, and you cannot buffer :4: with :P: like you could in VF5.
The difficulty of doing this move is you have to make sure the :4::6::6: inputs are clean - if you get a diagonal in there, the move will likely fail to execute.

4) "Wave" backdash:
This isn't exclusive to Akira, but it's useful enough that I think it's worth practicing.
I'm not sure what to call it, so I'll just refer to it as wave backdash.

Akira's wave backdash isn't as quick as some of the other characters (Pai, Mila), but it is still good enough that it should be applied.

You execute it like this: From any guarding position (either while holding :4_: or :1_:), wiggle the directions between :4: and :1:. So for example, you can execute it like this: :4_::1::4::1::4::1::4::1::4::1::4::1::4: and so on.
On a stick, don't let the stick go back to neutral. Simply hold :4_: or :1_: then wiggle it back and forth between :4: and :1:. There's some rhythm involved to make the movement smooth, and your movement speed is also dependent on this rhythm.

Here's a video of me practicing this:

This move allows for alternating guarding high and low while backdashing, and the benefits are self explanatory. In a practical sense, I managed to block quite a few attacks against other players while doing this, though I'm not sure of the exact vulnerability of it yet. Additionally, it's possible to go straight into double palm while doing this backdash.

5) Stun Palm of Doom (:P+K::4::3::H+P::6::P:)
After some analyzing, I've reconsidered my stance on the usefulness of his stun palm of doom. It's worth using afterall in this game.
Essentially, this combo will out damage all juggles UNLESS it's a maximum height juggle or wall combo. Don't want to risk building up stun damage? No walls nearby? Use SPoD instead of :3::3::P:. If you connect this move when an opponent is stunned, it'll take off at least 75+ damage, which is more than a low launch juggle would.

Execution: This move should be done in one continuous motion. As far as timing goes, the first two parts (:P+K::4::3::H+P:) should be done quickly, while :6::P: can be delayed slightly. You should start inputting :4::3::H+P: before :P+K: even makes contact. Compare to Kokoro's 3-hit throw, SPOD should be done slightly faster.
I've found that in DOA5 this move REQUIRES slower execution compared to VF5, and delaying the :6::P: a little bit seems to fix this.

6) Toryu Tenshin Hazankai (:236::P+K::4::3::P+K: :236::P::4::6::P+K:)
This move breaks guard and deals massive unblockable damage. It's Akira's most damaging guard break option (by a significant margin), therefore it's worth learning. This move ONLY activates if opponent is blocking, and is -7 if opponent is NOT blocking. Still, it's pretty difficult to punish this move, so the risk of throwing this out whenever you think the opponent will be blocking is low.

Execution: like SPoD, this move should be executed in one continuous motion (this is pretty much Akira's mantra). The way that I practiced this move is to do it in parts - start with :236::P+K::4::3::P+K: first, and keep practicing these first two parts until you can do it consistently. This move's challenge lies in the directional inputs, and there's really no easy way to learn this other than muscle memory. Once you can do the first two parts consistently, add the :236::P:. Repeat until you can chain all four parts consistently. The timing of this move isn't that strict in DOA5, so as long as you can hit the directional inputs precisely in a continuous fashion, you should have plenty of time to do it.

Goro Hazuki

Nice stuff Extra. I made a subsection in the Akira thread called "Basic Training Guide" that I have yet to fill out. Your thread covers the gist of the moves I wanted to talk about :) Do you mind if I link to your thread in it? Obviously credit will be mentioned. But I think you covered a lot of the stuff that are important to practice.

Ghosty-J

These are some pretty awesome tips. They can definitely be useful to enhance my Akira skills a bit XD

And I must apologize. I'm only decent with Akira at best, so sorry I haven't been contributing to the board as much as I should : P

wali

:1::2::214::6::P: this how i pull DP and any move from crouch it really come out much faster than buffering it from crouch .

GLoRToR

Chouda Chouchu says approach from crouch and perform a delayed 6pp. The second punch doesn't want to come out for the life of me. Any tips?

Zeo

I believe the 2nd punch will only come out if the 1st connects (hit or block is fine). You need to press the button about a second after the 1st punch actually connects, you can't mash it out. There's a bit of a rhythm to it.

GLoRToR

Thanks I actually figured that one out. Now suffering with 3h+k,p,466p+k
I have no idea how to input 466 in that window but I've done hayabusa's throws already so this can't be much harder :D

GLoRToR

The problem I'm experiencing seems to be that the P in 3H+K,(P) has a set of active frames with no buffer window.
When I try to execute the 466P+K, it does show correctly in the display but as it does not get buffered, it does not execute. I tried putting it in later but then the practice mode dial does not register the combo as accomplished and indeed, the demonstration seems to chain the entire combo together as one which, so far, I have not succeeded to do.

Extra

Hi GLoRToR:

For his :3::F+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:, you should input the entire execution command as one single execution. If you see his :P: come out on screen, it's already too late to input :4::6::6::P+K:. You need to buffer :4::6::6::P+K: before the :P: is even being active. As long as you hit the buttons in the correct sequence, the input command is clean, AND you do it fast, the move should come out.

In my last video, you can hear how quickly I press the buttons on an arcade stick.

This move used to be MUCH harder than Hayabusa's throw, before they simplified the commands in VF5FS ;). In DOA5 you still need to input the commands MUCH faster than you would input Hayabusa's throw.

Goro Hazuki

DLC was never that bad. It was SPoD that was trickier..You used to have to do the final input as :2::6::P:, which was tricky after :4::3::H+P:. Of course, all those are a piece of cake compared to the first time I saw the input commands for Jirou Tanzan..
I wonder what they'll have in store for us in VF6.

GLoRToR

Hi GLoRToR:

For his :3::F+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:, you should input the entire execution command as one single execution. If you see his :P: come out on screen, it's already too late to input :4::6::6::P+K:. You need to buffer :4::6::6::P+K: before the :P: is even being active. As long as you hit the buttons in the correct sequence, the input command is clean, AND you do it fast, the move should come out.

In my last video, you can hear how quickly I press the buttons on an arcade stick.

This move used to be MUCH harder than Hayabusa's throw, before they simplified the commands in VF5FS ;). In DOA5 you still need to input the commands MUCH faster than you would input Hayabusa's throw.
Thank you! I actually managed it just that day, even though I didn't even go to bed just stayed up practicing his movesets. I had to understand that the bufferwindow for most of his moves is an input seam so I just have to dial with a steady hand. It makes things interesting though because if it's not hitconfirmable, it means he can be held during the critical stun and the move is not as powerful as I thought it was. Seems like despite him being an insanely powerful character, he appears to have to commit to his options and so his yomi factor is through the roof. Which I like.

Extra

Goro: Maybe DLC was just bad for me, haha. I always had more problems doing DLC than SPOD.

GLoRToR: Usually when you use that move, it's in a juggle, so there's no need to hit confirm. I wouldn't recommend doing all three hits outside of a juggle. :3::F+K::P: can be pretty useful just on their own though, since these two hits can stun, and also you have the :2:/:8: follow ups. There's also always the threat of :4::6::6::P+K: as far as your opponent is concerned, so there are plenty of uses for this move.

Ghosty-J

DLC was never that bad. It was SPoD that was trickier..You used to have to do the final input as :2::6::P:, which was tricky after :4::3::H+P:. Of course, all those are a piece of cake compared to the first time I saw the input commands for Jirou Tanzan..
I wonder what they'll have in store for us in VF6.

SPoD was a piece of cake for me in VF5FS, albeit I'm rarely able to pull it off online due to lag. Jirou Tanzan is like a Highway to Hell for my fingers, and I have a good feeling it won't be any easier to pull off in VF6. The thought of making the move even harder to do is scary on its own XD It's easy to do offline in DoA5, but it's still kind of a pain to execute under the slightest lag. SEGA should consider making the windows for it as large as they did here next time.

Goro Hazuki

@Extra: Well, think about 12 year old me seeing SPoD's inputs for the first time in VF2. I was like "you want me to do what?...G+P+K..and then :4::3: and wha? and when? When do I do it?" I am 12 and what is this I don't even. By the time VF3 came along, all was good (Except for the JF knee). I heard legends about Akira's knee since VF1 but never saw or heard of anyone that did them. The world was a different place back then...No youtube, and Gamefaqs was a joke...So I had no idea what the notations meant. Until one day a friend told me he read how to do it, but couldn't pull it off. I kept trying until I got it. Incidentally, Akira was my secondary the whole time but became my main ever since VF3 (Vf1 was Jeffery, and Vf2 was Wolf).

@Ghosty, yeah SPoD is just muscle memory now. When you don't pull it off is when you get surprised! Lol. Jirou Tanzan is a bitch that requires zero hesitation in VF. But I like that it's difficult to pull off. In VF it makes sense because the game relies on a guard and frame trap type gameplay, so having a guard break that guarantees large damage should be tricky to pull off. Plus, let's just lay the cards on the table and admit that we do feel proud that we can pull it off and we like that non Akira players think WTF when they see it.
"Oh, yeah, that's just Akira's Jirou Tanzan...yeah it's no big deal.." (Holy F@*k I pulled it off).

Even the top players in tournaments, when they pull it off, they look over to their opponent like "yeah, that just happened". But in their head, they're like "giggity"

Extra

lol my story is similar.
Throughout VF Akira has always been my secondary. In VF2 I played mainly Shun, then Shun/Wolf in VF3, Lei in VF4, and it wasn't until VF5 that Akira became my main.

At the back of my mind, I had always wanted to main Akira. I couldn't do SPoD worth a damn in VF2 (maybe like 1 out 10 tries), but my motivation was like, "how cool would that be to finish someone with a SPoD?!"
Then in VF3, I got better at SPoD but DLC was like, the bane of my existence. I could do it maybe 1 out of 20 tries. It was so bad that I didn't even try to incorporate it into my game. 1 frame knee was out of the question.
Starting with VF4 I was getting a bit better with the inputs, and started to being able to do everything, just not 100% reliably (still can't :( ). But that was when I started to actually do his DLC combos and finishing matches with SPoD and stuff.
With VF5, I was like, screw it, I don't care how long it takes, even if I had to practice every day for the rest of my life, I'm maining Akira. My command accuracy increased a little more, but other issues came to light, such as instant double palms. Then that became the bane of my existence (and of course, the knee, as always).

Maybe it was all the time that I spent doing SPoD, but when Guardbreak of Doom rolled around in VF5FS it didn't take me too long to being able to do it fairly reliably in practice mode, and somewhat reliably while fighting. So I've mainly spent the time trying to nail the damn knee down to at least 90%+ accuracy (still working on it...). The funny thing is, in VF5FS, DLC isn't even needed. All of his big combos used :2::H+K::P: and double palms.

Of course it didn't help that I switched my arcade stick grip like 4 times in the past 2 years. But now I think I'm sticking with this one ;)

wali

i bought VF5 back in 2007 because it was the only fighting game around . and i am very glad i bought but learing Akira was horror i named his profile stay calm you learn.

Ghosty-J

My history with VF is pretty strange. I've had Tekken, Soul Calibur, and DoA throughout my entire childhood in regard to fighting games. There was a time at a party when my dad and his friend was playing Virtua Fighter 2 on his friend's SEGA Saturn. The only character I could remember was Kage since even then I had a strong love for ninja. I never got to play it myself, so I basically grew up with little to no exposure to VF with only the image of Kage staying in mind for years afterward.

I then saw Virtua Fighter 5 the next decade, but skipped out on it since it looked too slow paced. I was most likely on a Tekken 5 kick at the time. A few years after that, I was browsing through arcade footage of VF5FS after the console release was confirmed to see what all the fuss was about. To say the least, I haven't been this addicted to footage of any fighting game before and the high level play looked ridiculously fun and entertaining to watch. I then proceeded to look at footage of every iteration before then, along with the other games, to see what I missed out on. And my goodness, I wish I got into Virtua Fighter sooner, because everything Looked amazing! I'm a little ashamed to say that Dural sparked my interest in the series, but we all have weird stories about how we got into our favorite things <_<;

I got VF5FS day one of release, so this was basically my very first true blue Virtua Fighter game. I was dead-set on maining El Blaze and Kage and didn't focus on much else. Then Akira caught my attention mainly because he has customs that could make him look similar to Ryo Hazuki, so I set on learning him for that very reason. But the moment I laid eyes on his Bajiquan in motion, explored into how much depth he had, and finally learned about his role in the story, I instantly fell in love with him as a fighting game character. Ever since he was confirmed for DoA5, I've put up a relentless effort to learn him as much as I can before release. And then the rest is short history XD

Extra

I updated the first post, and also adding a new video here since there's a 5 videos per post limit.

This is the third method of doing instant double palm. The description is in the first post.

Goro Hazuki

Good stuff Extra. I think you mean "Korean Back Dash" by the wave back dash you mentioned.
Here's a video (not mine) providing a detailed explanation for anyone interested..
It's from TTT2, but it still applies.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD