Moves to practice

Extra

I think visually speaking wave dash resembles the DOA5 back dash better (other than being forward instead of backward), as when Korean backdash is done correctly, you cannot see the crouching animation, just a continuous backdash, where as the wave dash resembles a "wave", kind of how DOA5 looks.

Barracuda

I just got done doing his command training and all I have to say is I will not get good with Akira at all. The above tips helped a lot and I really appreciate them but I just don't think I will ever have the skill to pull off all of those executions like you guys. Thanks again for this thread as it was very helpful. I will check back frequently for any more tips and to update you guys on my progress with Akira.

Extra

It just takes time :) Keep at it. As long as you have the will and motivation to get good at him, you'll get there, and I think there's nothing more impressive than seeing an Akira player doing his thing.

Barracuda

Well I got the 1-frame knee sorta down. I can almost pull it off at will.... the way I do it? index finger for the Hold button and ring finger for the Kick button. I do it in a downward swipe motion. When I hit the buttons the ring finger stays on the Kick button but the index finger hits the bottom edge of the Hold button and lets go immediately. It's pretty much a very quick swipe down on the Hold button. The quick swipe down on the bottom edge of the Hold button is a lot easier for me than the other methods people have been using.....

EDog21

I'm on pad, and to get jf knee by taking my left thumb and hitting x. I can hit it well enough, but there are times where my thumb gets lazy, or I accidentally bump the analog with my hand. Is there an efficient way to do it on one hand? My hand isn't that big, so to hit the x button I have to shift my hand off the d pad foregoing the use of directions. This typically causes hand cramps after excessive use for me.

Zeo

I do the JF Knee on pad with one hand. How?

My Kick is B and Free is X like pretty much everyone else. On the other hand my H+K is RB on my controller. I've found that you can use the H+K as a stand alone H as well. So I'm actually doing H+K and K at the same time for the knee.

What I do is use my index finger to lightly and quickly graze RB while using my thumb to hit B(Kick) resulting in the knee. I can do it fairly consistently. I find I get the knee 90% more and it's almost effortless doing it pressing B and X with both thumbs, but it's stressful on my hand and it's annoying to try to jump off of the directional buttons all the time during matches so I settle for the one handed method instead, it's much easier on both my hands.

brightgamer

I play on a fight pad and I have my H+K as RB and the K as B. So I just slide my thumb over from RB to B. I saw for me it works like 80% of the time

Barracuda

I'm on pad, and to get jf knee by taking my left thumb and hitting x. I can hit it well enough, but there are times where my thumb gets lazy, or I accidentally bump the analog with my hand. Is there an efficient way to do it on one hand? My hand isn't that big, so to hit the x button I have to shift my hand off the d pad foregoing the use of directions. This typically causes hand cramps after excessive use for me.

Sorry for my late reply. I actually use an arcade stick. More power to you for using a pad, bro. I am absolutely terrible with it. Sorry I can't be any more of a help.

EDog21

I dont use my arcade stick for a variety of reasons. I can do the moves and have decent movement, but my defense becomes super trash. Also, since everyone seems to ps3 for tournaments, I wouldn't want to get too comfortable with stick on xbox. I have a ps3, but all my fighting games are on xbox. I couldn't see buying the exact same arcade stick for ps3, and then not use it until tournaments.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Here is a fun move to practice. When those clowns (kasumi, lisa, ayane, hyabusa) do their cute little jump over you move as you're getting up, allow them to. When you're getting up, don't rise with a kick, simply get up. Now that your back is turned, hit :P+K:. Profit as you successfully remove 1/4 of their life.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
One more treat for everyone. There are 4 moves, when blocked, that you can blanket with :3::h:, :P: as a recovery defence.
Move 1: :4::6::P:
Move 2: :4::3::P:
Move 3: :6::6::P:
Move 4: :4::P:,:P:

Now, what does this get you? :3::h: counters both high punch & kick as well as both low punch & kick, but you have to time the counter almost perfectly at the start of the animation. What better way to time it instantly than when you know the opponent is going to come at you with their fastest attacks? It will almost always be a straight :P:, with it being a 10 frame animation most of the time. That's a high punch!

Combo: :3::h:, :P:, :3::H+K:, :P:, :4::6::6::P+K:

See what kind of creativity you can come up with as far as extra damage after :3::h:, :P:.

Zeo

Now, what does this get you? :3::h: counters both high punch & kick as well as both low punch & kick,
I'm pretty sure it only counters high punches/kicks and low punches. I don't think I've ever caught a low kick with it. I'll look in training mode to confirm but I'm fairly certain it's only highs and low punches.

Zeo

...Yeah.. I will definitely have to check that in training mode.

Stranger things have happened though. Akira has a high that catches low holds and crouching opponents, but can only be held high.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
You're right Zeo, low kicks are a no go with that counter. I must have been drunk when doing that. Also, good games last night. You're miles better than me.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I also like your idea of :6_::P:, :214::P: to open up for the critical burst. I've been trying to find a reliable way to drop the CB and :214::P: ensures you land it.

Zeo

It isn't 100% guaranteed. If your opponent slow escapes as fast as humanly possible, the CB is literally a frame too slow. But if your opponent is going to try to hold or do anything that isn't slow escaping, or simply doesn't do it fast enough, it's game over. I'd say it's about 90% reliable. Only 1 person has successfully slow escaped out of it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD