DOA5LR New character expectations (Spring 2016)

Who is the new character?

• Genra (or his inheritor)

• VF Character

• Shiden

• Irene

• Ms. Monday

• Rio

• Niki

• New male

• New female

• Other (Donovan, Miyako, etc.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy-Fu

New character cycle:

4a) If character is male or or uncommon ethnic (can be both), competitive minority is stoked, casuals not so much.

4b) If character is female, competitive minority is disappointed, casuals not so much.

*If character is male or uncommon ethnic, competitive minority is stoked, Japan is not and the character doesn't sell well in Japan

*If character is female, competitive minority is dissapointed, Japan is hyped

To be fair it pretty much boils down to if Japan is hyped or not these days. Remember, we don't have Itagaki's westaboo ways holding sway on which characters get picked nowadays......not like he made many new characters for each new installment but eh.

DOA is changing and it's quite big really (if you like it or not well...that's personal opinion) but we are going to be seeing a lot more Japan centric characters and archetypes.
We are not getting Xtreme 3 either "japan only" so it just further strengthens my point. They have pretty much gone totally the other way now. DOA used to be "too heavily west" to "too heavily East" so ya, they basically just went from one extreme to another extreme.

It would be nice if Tecmo went more middle ground but it doesn't really bother me at all.....i feel bad for the people who liked old DOA and dislike the extremely heavy eastern archetypes. but what are ya gonna do? times change i suppose.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
*If character is male or uncommon ethnic, competitive minority is stoked, Japan is not and the character doesn't sell well in Japan

To be fair it pretty much boils down to if Japan is hyped or not these days. Remember, we don't have Itagaki's westaboo ways holding sway on which characters get picked nowadays......not like he made many new characters for each new installment but eh.

DOA is changing and it's quite big really (if you like it or not well...that's personal opinion) but we are going to be seeing a lot more Japan centric characters and archetypes.
We are not getting Xtreme 3 either "japan only" so it just further strengthens my point. They have pretty much gone totally the other way now. DOA used to be "too heavily west" to "too heavily East" so ya, they basically just went from one extreme to another extreme.

It would be nice if Tecmo went more middle ground but it doesn't really bother me at all.....i feel bad for the people who liked old DOA and dislike the extremely heavy eastern archetypes. but what are ya gonna do? times change i suppose.
Fair enough.

Brute

Standard Donor
I fixed Awesmic's post:

Retcon Awesmic said:
New character cycle:

1) New character is vaguely announced.

2) Brute sets ridiculously low expectations.

3) New character is revealed partially.

4) Character is female, as always.

5) Character is released.

6) Character sells well, despite being comprised of entirely of recycled content. Brute doesn't bother to learn her frame data because he does not wish to be murdered by the cruel wrath of boredom.

7) No one really cares about the character competitively, but everyone has a "pocket new character" that they like to play in online lobbies when the lag is "too serious" to play their main. :eek:

8) Brute's non-existent hype remains non-existent since no one sane can possibly expect cool things at this point.

9) Repeat Step 1.

P2p1mbs

i just noticed; the poll has not option for a guest character (other doesnt count), looks like we were ALL wrong with our expectations...

Dark-truth

I wouldn't go that far. It's not like Ryu, Ayane, and Kasumi kept showing up in the Warriors games outside of that one time and I doubt Ayane is going to keep showing up in Fatal Frame for example. Naotora is literally centuries out of her time in DOA.

Ya know, I bought Honoka (eventually) so I could have (what I thought at the time would be) a complete roster for when I played with friends. But, I actually am pretty done at this point. TN clearly doesn't want or need my money and I don't really want to support them anymore.

But, I believe in finishing what I start. So, people can send me videos and quotes and stuff when she's released and I'll add it to the translation topic.
Yeah, but if you don't like a character from the first impression why buy him/her ? If I didn't liked Honoka, I wouldn't buy her at all even if she was the best character in the game

werewolfgold

Yeah, but if you don't like a character from the first impression why buy him/her ? If I didn't liked Honoka, I wouldn't buy her at all even if she was the best character in the game
a. My reasons for not liking Honoka were mainly based on her appearance and personality. For all I knew, she could've been really fun to play as (she was meh).

b. Did you miss the part about having the full roster for when I played with friends? Local PvP is that extinct now, huh? lol

Last edited:

Dark-truth

I blame myself, I hope for genra but in my heart I know it will never happen, we were lucky to get Raidou.
Me too :(

I agree, DOA is getting out of hand. People can complain about Itagaki and DOA not being "competitive". But everyone started at the old DOA and didn't cared about the tournaments. This is my opinion you don't have to agree but here it is: Tournaments are overrated people take games way to seriously frame data this frame data that seriously listen to yourself you are talking about a game for god's sake a GAME. Games are supposed to be fun not supposed to be competitive people take games way too seriously with tournaments. and everyone can say "oh yeah we play for fun not to win" why do you join tournaments then ? Seriously just go visit that person and play with each other and have fun instead of having tournaments

a. My reasons for liking Honoka were mainly based on her appearance and personality. For all I knew, she could've been really fun to play as (she was meh).

b. Did you miss the part about having the full roster for when I played with friends? Local PvP is that extinct now, huh? lol
Hmm ? Well yeah, I understand for the full roster and for honoka's appearance and personality, but I knew from the trailer that she wouldn't be interesting. She's literally just a mash up from signature moves that's basically it. I only have interest in honoka's story for the rest, she's not interesting to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

werewolfgold

Tournaments are overrated people take games way to seriously frame data this frame data that seriously listen to yourself you are talking about a game for god's sake a GAME. Games are supposed to be fun not supposed to be competitive people take games way too seriously with tournaments. and everyone can say "oh yeah we play for fun not to win" why do you join tournaments then ? Seriously just go visit that person and play with each other and have fun instead of having tournaments
But...tournaments can be fun. Why do you assume they're not? And frame data is just a way to help play the game better. I don't see the problem. And the majority of games are a competition by their very nature.

It's possible to get too into something, but I don't think being in a tournament should be the metric. Why do professional sports even exist according to you?

Sammy-Fu

I agree, DOA is getting out of hand. People can complain about Itagaki and DOA not being "competitive". But everyone started at the old DOA and didn't cared about the tournaments. This is my opinion you don't have to agree but here it is: Tournaments are overrated people take games way to seriously frame data this frame data that seriously listen to yourself you are talking about a game for god's sake a GAME. Games are supposed to be fun not supposed to be competitive people take games way too seriously with tournaments. and everyone can say "oh yeah we play for fun not to win" why do you join tournaments then ? Seriously just go visit that person and play with each other and have fun instead of having tournaments

Fully agreed! I never cared for any of the stuff and it's so boring to read and VERY frustrating when i look for news on a fighting game i really enjoy and the first things that pop up are tourney stuff, Never cared for it and never will.

My problem with Itagaki lies in the fact that he was "too western" for my tastes (a really weird thing to say, i know) but i prefer playing Japanese games on a Japanese console....and DOA/Ninja Gaiden was like....xbox exclusive until DOA5. (There are a lot of xbox exclusive DOA/Ninja Gaiden games....a lot)

Like i said, i wish it was more middle ground, i do like a variety of western and eastern characters (otherwise i wouldn't have Helena) but it doesn't bother me much i suppose.

Just the way it is.

Chapstick

I love it how everyone complains about being "disappointed" but when that bitch arrives everyone is buying her just like Honoka :/ I like li naotora she seems interesting and Im excited to see her in action !
Well yeah. It's hard to learn about a character to fight them effectively if you don't have access to them. I likely won't be using her but I'll be buying her.

Dark-truth

Fully agreed! I never cared for any of the stuff and it's so boring to read and VERY frustrating when i look for news on a fighting game i really enjoy and the first things that pop up are tourney stuff, Never cared for it and never will.

My problem with Itagaki lies in the fact that he was "too western" for my tastes (a really weird thing to say, i know) but i prefer playing Japanese games on a Japanese console....and DOA/Ninja Gaiden was like....xbox exclusive until DOA5. (There are a lot of xbox exclusive DOA/Ninja Gaiden games....a lot)

Like i said, i wish it was more middle ground, i do like a variety of western and eastern characters (otherwise i wouldn't have Helena) but it doesn't bother me much i suppose.

Just the way it is.
Mhm I agree

But...tournaments can be fun. Why do you assume they're not? And frame data is just a way to help play the game better. I don't see the problem. And the majority of games are a competition by their very nature.

It's possible to get too into something, but I don't think being in a tournament should be the metric. Why do professional sports even exist according to you?
Well proffesional sports don't matter to me they're unimportant to me

werewolfgold

Just the way it is.

The problem is the setting. This isn't Persona or something which takes place in a Japanese high school. This is supposedly a global fighting tournament with fighters coming in from all over. And yet, literally the last 5 characters they added to the game have been Japanese. Nay, Japanese women. (Okay, I guess one clone of a Japanese woman.) When there are so many countries that haven't been represented yet. Hell, not even Korea or any south or southeast Asian countries. That's not exactly destroying any brain cells to conceive of.

I mean, yeah, Japan is pretty ethnocentric, but dayum. It's like to the point of no self-awareness. Street Fighter and Tekken are bringing in new characters from Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Italy, Phillipines, etc. And TN's just like, Japan, Japan, Japan, Japan. lol

Well proffesional sports don't matter to me they're unimportant to me
But, you don't question why anyone would do it, do you?

Dark-truth

Well yeah. It's hard to learn about a character to fight them effectively if you don't have access to them. I likely won't be using her but I'll be buying her.
That's true, can't argue with that

The problem is the setting. This isn't Persona or something which takes place in a Japanese high school. This is supposedly a global fighting tournament with fighters coming in from all over. And yet, literally the last 5 characters they added to the game have been Japanese. Nay, Japanese women. (Okay, I guess one clone of a Japanese woman.) When there are so many countries that haven't been represented yet. Hell, not even Korea or any south or southeast Asian countries. That's not exactly destroying any brain cells to conceive of.

I mean, yeah, Japan is pretty ethnocentric, but dayum. It's like to the point of no self-awareness. Street Fighter and Tekken are bringing in new characters from Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Italy, Phillipines, etc. And TN's just like, Japan, Japan, Japan, Japan. lol

But, you don't question why anyone would do it, do you?
Not really

Sammy-Fu

Streetfighter and Tekken are super popular the world over and they know that in order to maintain the auidence they got, they try to be inclusive to as many countries as they can. (Although i'm not sure i would count Streetfighter because from the begnning it's been about traveling around the world to fight and "The world warriors" i think SF has and always will have that mantra)

DOA on the other hand is not so popular. It's got it's western audience, sure.....but really it's more known for the sexual aspect that surrounds it, i think Tecmo know this and that's why they are focusing on their core Japanese audience. They seem to have given up on the west views and thoughts on the whole and are just focusing on what their home territory likes to see. (i think their thoughts and polls and comments on Xtreme 3 proves this)

Like i said, they don't have Itagaki anymore either so....yeah, big changes to this franchise. :3

Dior

*reading this topic*
giphy.gif

About the new character, yeah, cool, lets she how she plays.... I'll test her...drop her... life continues...;)

KwonJigglypuff

Is Naotora the main character of her serie ? Or at least the most popular ? Another cute Japanese moe...... Hopes she has a good gameplay at least.

At least, Koshosho could have been a better choice.

10013856_10152017911026169_1334681564_n_by_ladytuonela-d7avzvy.png

Last edited:

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Street Fighter and Tekken are popular worldwide for a reason.

DOA to me feels like it's accepted their lot as a mediocre fighter and so they've just decided to focus on staying alive in Japan. there is NO reason they can't compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD