Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 Boss Strategy

TRI Mike

This is actually a request to people like CyberEvil who I know are very good in the series. I'd like to ask for a few nice strategies for the main bosses in the previous games of the series like Alma or Alexei. For example, Alma spidey version always gives me a lot of trouble just like (i'm a bit embarrased by this) the fat mechanical dude in the Zeppelin. In NG2 the guy from the Russia chapter always took me like 50 tries and the second fight is even worse. So let's post strategies for people to use.

Brute

Standard Donor
Well, not sure I'm an expert, but hopefully I can help a tab bit. Tall order. Here's the most simple way I've found to beat most bosses.
This will mostly cover strategies for Master Ninja because usually what works in MN works in Normal mode, whereas what works in Normal mode doesn't always work in MN.
Also, I make a few mentions of the Sigma games, but mostly stuck with Black/vanilla NG2 because Sigma 1 sucks and I was too lazy to do Sigma 2. If you want any additional info on sigma-exclusives, feel free to ask.

Ninja Gaiden: Black
Murai: Either use the vertical wall climb Y slam or running X
Horseman: Kill all magic guys. Then go to far end near gate. Wait until he passes (hold block) and attack. Can also be done by charging a UT in Black. Listen for him coming as you won't be able to see him (off-screen).
Fat Guy: Couple slashes, he'll try to grab. Roll away (but not too far) and continue attacking. The hardest part of this fight is getting in to begin with, as sometimes the awful camera can making dodging his blasts awkward. Always try to stay in close. His attacks are slow, few and unsafe. At range, however, he's a monster with camera abuse.
Hyracubus: Not that anyone needs help on this chump, but use flying swallow, windmill shuriken, w/e to knock out his tentacles, then use either XYXXXY or use the essence to charge a UT.
Fiend Ryu: Depends on weapon. Lots of tactics work, however. Some include Izunas or the Dabilharo.
Bone Dinosaur: XXX his toes, dodge his attacks. Avoid flying swallow (imo). Running X can also work in some situations.
Alma: Flying swallow XYXXXY. Izuna for shadow fiends.
Tank: Fucking I don't know. Shoot him with the bow, I guess.
Helicopter: Same as tank.
Worm: Easiest boss, imo. Just block/dodge, roll through his sweep attack. Then use the Dabilharo XXXXXY attack. Same thing for fire one, except jump to dodge his flame circle.
Bone Pterodactyl: Flying swallow between his legs, or use a short sword combo. When he bows, use the sword XYXXXY or the Dabilharo XXXXXY
Doku: Vigoorian Flails XYY Equip the horse armband for extra measure
Yotunfrau: A very fun boss. Just prance around and do any combo you like after he tries his giant sweeps. Use Izunas to mop up the Bast fiends.
Smaugen Dragon: Jump to the top right (his left) and prance back and forth until he tries to bite you. Then (you guessed it) Dahilharo XXXXXY
Alma 2: Same tactic as before but with a less retarded camera (usually). Basically the same tactics apply though she will block more and you may want to consider Y dashes. Similarly, your XYXXXY combo won't work the same. Consider other powerful combos XXXYY or 360chargeY etc. Assume she will do her grab every second (because she will).
Ghost Doku: I'll admit, I cheat and use ninpo to swat off the ghost fish. I get sick of their shit. I hate this fight because the camera is ass and collision detection follows in the same vein. Essentially, keep combos short. You'll probably want to side roll because of weird things with his grab's range.
Nicchae: Same as Alma 1 except with the worst arena you can possibly imagine. Hopefully by now you have the Unlabored Flawlessness and can use that.
Ishtaros: The hardest boss, imo. Best combo I could find is XXXY. Her strangs are generally 2 strikes, guard break, unblockable attack (iirc), so note when you're blocking will fail you and dodge then. When she starts to whip areound the arena, charge a 360 Y UT with the TDS and unleash it right when she jumps on you. Fire wheels is very useful if you're okay with using ninpo.
Marbus: Like Alma but easier. Izuna shadow fiends. Wait until he spins, dodge, and use your typical Alma combos.
Vigoor 1: Use the 360Y. AS far as dodging things go, just try and dodge or something. Always hated this part.
Vigoor 2: Spam all arrow types and incendiary shurikens. The explosive arrows will be the most effective for destroying projectiles, and the core arrows will deal the most damage. If you can't dodge the giant head (go through it/forward) then feel free to ninpo i-frame it (end of level).
Murai: Honestly, I never fight him legit because I always have a hefty amount of health packs here and see no reason to not burn through them. I wouldn't imagine he's too hard, though...

Ninja Gaiden II
Rasetsu: Huge difficulty spike here. I find if you upgraded the lunar you'll have an easier time than the DS. Izuna the IS ninjas if you have the space/time. Rasetsu is aggressive, though, and will likely require your full attention. The lunar is nice because if you attack normal enemies with it, the sweep will often hit Rasetsu and slowly chip away at his health. 360Y at the start, and use mixes of XYY and XXY for the ninjas and rasetsu. Anytime you can adsorb essence for a successful UT, do it (especially 360 one). Second fight you can use the Flying Swallow->Izuna Falcon's Talons for IS ninjas if you like (jump forward YXY) though honestly lunar is probably safer. Consider de-limbing the IS ninjas without killing them to make them walk slower (but spam just as many shurikens).
Genshin: Dumbass camera will be 100% of your woes (better on Sigma 2). Block, and try to dash though the final attack of each of his strings. This will leave you close up for some guaranteed attacks. In Xbox, use XYY with the DS. In Sigma 2/RE, use XYXXY Lunar. Use the guillotine throw to mop up ninjas in first fight. Izunas later (though only use them at distance, or else he'll flying swallow you out of the air during the xyXXXy portion).
Gigadeath: Sigh. More bow and arrow crap. You can technically shoot him, wait till he comes near, charge up a UT (360 lunar?) and tear him down that way. Be wary of everything 'cause he's a bitch, just like the camera.
Blind Ogre: Dash under his legs and chop away. If he spins, dash behind him. If he pounds, dash behind him.
Alexei: Someties he will spam his tornado. All-fucking-day. In that case, go to your happy place and accept that you can't do squat. Generally, you can avoid this by staying in close. Like Genshin, try to dodge the final strike by dashing though rather than away. Flying Swallows can work but running X is better to get in. Lunar XXY is your best bet.
Water Dragon: Don't jump in the water. Use the bow/cannon (Sigma 2) to shoot it's head from the platform. Stay as far to either side as you can so that you have room to dodge the sound ripple attack when he uses it. The crystal spikes are the hardest move. Just learn their timing. Usually dash-pause-dash-dash (iirc)
Bone thingy: I hate this damn bastard so much. 1 hit kill with stupid distance and sweep, plus an army of annoying spider bones. Get in, and either spam UTs (use bone spider essence) or use some combo that gets you high to his head (lunar/dual katana XYXXY/XYXXXY). When he falls, give him everything you've got. If you're lucky, you'll stun-lock him and kill him the first time he falls with loops.
Volf: Almost all guard breaks, unblockables or throws. Sometimes you can just flying swallow him to death. Usually, you have to time your dodges up close and get him with your standard "safe" combos.
Armadillo: Stun-lock this bastard's head with incendiary shurikens. In Sigma 2, things are mosr difficult. Camera's ass, boss is cheap. Scythe jump XY to the head is risky but rewarding. Hope the camera doesn't fritz out on you. Block when he is killed.
Zedonious: In the xbox, jump XY with the scythe until he's dead. Use lunar Izunas or Art of the Inferno to eliminate Gajas. Very easy. Sigma 2: much more of a cunt. Emna's fang single strikes tend to be he safest bet. Some lunar tricks work too.
Giant worm: Hide in a hole and charge scythe UT. When you hear him coming, let go and repeat.
Flying dragon thing: Piercing void. Two hits. Get a two-in-one if you like. Otherwise, spam jumping arrows.
Elizabet: On xbox, same tactic as Zedonious. On Sigma 2, dodge through final attacks and stay and mid-range. Lunar XXY or UTs if you feel risky.
Dagra Dai: Same as Zedonious. Flying Swallow the Van Gelfs to death, but leave one alive so he doesn't re-spawn them (preferably without a limb). Same tactic for Sigma 2.
Archfiend 1: Arrow to head, double jump dodge the blood, arrow to stomach (or piercing void). Be fast to prevent him from spawning those annoying head things.
Archfiend 2: Go to his hand and use lunar XXY. Riskier: go to head, use scythe jump XXY. When walking, use lunar XXY

edit: I was going to go to sleep but then decided talking about Ninja Gaiden would be more interesting. Now, at 5:15 AM, not sure I made the smartest choice.

Derga

Regarding the tank, I personally use the exploding arrows to quickly dispose of the soldier in the turret, and switch to the armor penetrating rounds and fire about 3-4 of those before i need to switch back to the exploding arrows to deal with the next turret soldier. Rinse and repeating that works like a charm, just remember to dodge the tanks bazooka while doing that.

Brute pretty much covered everything better than I could have though. Also I didn't know you could cut the Hydacubus tentacles with the windmill shuriken. Not that I really ever needed though. Still nice to know.

Brute

Standard Donor
I read you bro, I read you. I also had to Google some of the fuckers I didn't even know had names.
lol, yeah. Some of them I know the proper names. Others I just call "the _____ guy".

Regarding the tank, I personally use the exploding arrows to quickly dispose of the soldier in the turret, and switch to the armor penetrating rounds and fire about 3-4 of those before i need to switch back to the exploding arrows to deal with the next turret soldier. Rinse and repeating that works like a charm, just remember to dodge the tanks bazooka while doing that.
I do the same. For whatever reason, I just tend to slip up every now and then because the bow is awkward as hell to use for me.

Brute pretty much covered everything better than I could have though. Also I didn't know you could cut the Hydacubus tentacles with the windmill shuriken. Not that I really ever needed though. Still nice to know.
I didn't know that until I was playing the mission modes and they started me equipped with the windmill shuriken against the Hydracubus. Was wondering why they did that, so I tried using it and went: "Oh, whaddaya know?"

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Not sure I can add much to Brute's post. I do fight some of the bosses differently but his strats are effective and in some cases less risky than mine. I play pretty aggressively.

SilverForte

I have something to add for the drunken skeleton, Lunar aerial YXY does heavy damage to his chest area, it was enough for me to knock him right back down after he got up again.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
for a quicker fight i suggest spamming the windmill shuriken during the fight with Smaug,the extra damage adds up quick also you have to roll into the flame blast to avoid damage

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Hm this gives me an idea to make a boss guide always wanted to do one :p

Ill try to make a couple today for NGS2

Btw mike if you got Unlaboured, go under smaug belly cast the wind ninpo then right after do XYXXY do this twice and he dead and for murai if u playing on hard or above kill both mini ninjas and leave one essence, then when murai charges XY hold Y and u do massive damage with the UT

But ye brute pretty much nailed it except I would use Bota for zed,Volf,Alexi and Elzibeth (she becomes real easy once you master her loop)

dawnbringer

Alexei: Use any weapon with high damage 4 strike combo: Dragon Sword, dual swords, claws, kusarigama, tonfa (but any weapon will do). Stay close at all times, avoid his close grab by counter hitting, jumping straight up or dodging forward. Block his close range combo, but dodge third hit. Attack with 4 hits when he's open, but not more, like with any humanoid boss except Liz. It's easy to loop him with DS, BotA, tonfas, claws.

Volf: Any weapon works, but don't overcommit. Stay close, avoid his grabs, dodge attacks to the side and attack from the back. It's possible to attack him during his combos. Many of his attacks are interruptible.

Zedonious: Any weapon works. Stay close, dodge his grab, block his close range combo. Grab gives free combo. When he does his beam attack him from the back for max damage -- this is his greatest weakness. To reduce damage from fireballs block first, dodge second, block third and dodge fourth -- this will only do some chip damage. Dodge ground stomp towards impact and attack with a combo.

Elizébet: The most fun boss in NG2. Outside of her own attack strings she only accepts 3 hits. Most efficient tactics would be to attack her during her own close range attacks. Otherwise she is vulnerable only sometimes, and when she so choses. Dodge her tail grab, jump her bind spell, and dodge blood projectiles. Dodge her ground dash to the back, so you end up close and have an opportunity to attack if she stops dashing. Basically, this alone is enough to defeat her with any weapon. Other oppurtunity is after blocking her ground strings. It's possible to stun her sometimes, but be prepared to dodge a grab when she wakes up. Most effective weapon is BotA with its ability to attack during Liz's attacks with 360 move, and high damage output. However she is beatable with everything if you follow a plan and not just trying to hit her somehow. I like using Kusarigama against her, because it has a fun ability to chase her in air for high damage.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Elizabeth loop:
When she breaks your guard let go of L1 and press it again

Audio broken so I added random track

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
^^

Same with ghost Doku, art of fire wheels with XYXXY combo, fight last 5 seconds, no joke lol

Other options:
Sythe: Loop with 360T, dash, 360T
Tonfas: >TT X T or semi loop with >T pause > T

> = Foward

Fight him close up and after his punch combo do TTTT
(If your up for it you can do >T after doing TTTT but it requires practice, you have to do it right when he is about to attack you and you need to press block at the same time or you'll get hit) near the end of the video I messed it up because I couldn't see anything so I got punished

For any other attacks he does follow up with >T and continue with T only if he gets stunned by >T

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
g-gill24, because of how helpful you generally are, I'm not going to warn you for double posting again. Man, just hit the edit button.

Good vids though.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Zed with BOTA

When he grabs dash and do TTTT
For anyone of his other combo's either dodge then follow up with >T or you can counter and follow up with >T
For his beam attack you can do TTTT X2 or >T X4 or >T TTTT X1

To Dodge his Fire Stomp Dash then go into wind path or do 360T

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD