Ninja Gaiden 4 - Where should the story go?

Brute

Standard Donor
The single best entry is the Xbox Ninja Gaiden Black. If you have access to an Xbox or 360 you can play it.

But let's get back to the Ninja Gaiden 4 story, shall we?
But... but Black.... =\

Oh, fine. Kinda hope NG4 brings back Unlaboured Flawlessness.

Hayabusas_Kid

I can agree with most of you here. It's true that the Ninja Gaiden series has been lacking on the story side... If anything, the next Ninja Gaiden should recapture Itagaki's vision of a ninja action game... heck, I'd choose Ninja Gaiden II over the NG1, Sigma 1 & 2, and definitely over Razor's Edge and the garbage version they called NG3. It's such an action pack game, keeping you on the edge of your seat, despite having all of your weapons upgraded and items at your finger tips available on your second play through of the game. It still manages to kick your butt regardless of how powerful your character has become with the new game plus. NG3 and NG3:RE on the other hand, well... the thing(s) that kept me and some of the fans from coming back for more, isn't just there. But I'm not going to criticize NG3 and NG3:RE here since everybody knows the story already.

As far as the story for the next Ninja Gaiden goes... I think it should start with a new series with a new protagonist. I really feel that Ryu's story has already been told and that Ryu should take a back seat and go for a really long vacation. I think Team Ninja should take notes of how Chris Nolan's Batman and Sam Mendes's James Bond have become so successful with their reboots. If Ninja Gaiden needs to tell a story, I think it needs to tell the story of how the Dragon Lineage came about. It has been said that the Dragon Sword has been passed down from generation to generation, so why not start there? Where did the Dragon Sword come from? It was said that it was carved out of a dragon's tooth... So how did that go? What's the story there? Personally, I'd like Team Ninja to tell the story of the origins of the Dragon Ninjas.

Gameplay-wise however, keep the same over the top-brutal action which made Ninja Gaiden II known for. Only top it off with different fatalities and different combos. More blood and more gore please!!!

Weapons: I'd like to see the new ninja, not only equipped with a staff, sword, claws, bow & arrow... but bring back the incendiary shurikens, tonfas, flails, while also introducing the sai and the kama weapons.

Upgrades: Bring back a Muramasa type shop. And for as long as I have enough credits/essence, I should be able to upgrade my weapons/health to maximum.

Magic: I want slots, not a meter styled magic. Team Ninja, see Ninja Gaiden I and Ninja Gaiden II and the Sigma series.

Health management/Essence: Bring it back to how Ninja Gaiden II utilized it... I'd like to be able to unleash ultimate techniques in an instant when there are essences around and especially when I have 15 or so enemies ganging up on me. I'd like to also be able to upgrade my health anytime I choose for as long as I have the life of the gods and have the talisman of rebirth at my disposal.

Enemies: No more virtual reality crap, alchemists, terrorists and especially a giant half-naked school girl (see final boss of Razor's Edge -- that's just plain sick man... am I the only one who thinks this way?). I want them to design enemies that looks menacing and can really pose a threat(s) to a dragon ninja... so keep the Spider Clan while also introducing a new ninja clan... perhaps the can be called the Cobra Ninja clan, Linkuei Ninja clan... I don't know, something unique. Bring back the werewolves and introduce the vampires, bezerkers, powerful demons and of course, the fiends.

Story: See above... it doesn't have to spend a lot of time showing cinematic scenes (MGS4 anyone?)... I just want a general story of the Dragon Lineage's origin and who are the fiends, really? And what is the source of the spider ninja's hatred towards the dragon ninja's? Where they once dragon ninjas themselves only to fall out of favor from the dragons, that they were banished from the dragon clan?... that's it! But please, I want wave after wave of enemies (see chapter 11 of Ninja Gaiden II).

Guest Protagonist(s): They are only welcome if they are allowed to be used for the entire single player experience. Meaning, perhaps, after beating the game with the main character the first time, unlock the guest characters and be able to use them other than the main character for the second play through. They shouldn't be inserted in the middle chapters because it breaks the flow of the game... and that's what I really hated with the Sigma series and Razor's Edge.

Character/Protagonist presentation: The whole point of wearing a mask as a ninja is to conceal their identity. The whole thing about Ryu removing his mask every time he cries is really annoying... The next ninja needs to shut up and only speaks with a few words. Don't humanize a super ninja that his number one job is to brutalize and butcher anyone or anything in his path... humanizing a cold-blooded killer (in a good way) don't go together... I'm sorry, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, back to playing NGII. :)

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Fuck it,this is the NG4 general thread now.

Interesting idea but I don't think it's really necessary.TN would have to practically create a brand new world and be unable to use previous assets.then after they made it they couldn't really use anything from that for any of their modern games which they love doing.

In addition to that it would upset the fans of the series like DMC4 did and kinda confirm what some worry about,that Ryu Hayabusa is replaceable and that any ninja can take his place .the secondary characters are cool but I cant help but worry when I see people get upset that they have to rush through Ryu's story to get to play as the tits.

The idea in general isn't bad we do need some questions answered ,but instead I'd make it just a part of the story like when someone starts telling the back story you take control of the flashback

It's a spin off Brute -_-

why do people seriously think Yaiba is TN's attempt at an actual NG game

Xernuht

First off, Ryu IS Ninja Gaiden. Replace him and we'll end up with DMC4's early criticism all over again. I think the best you could ever get is if you had a game exploring Joe's backstory.

Secondly, I'm not against metered Ninpo. I am against the meter being locked depending on your chosen technique. If I build up a bunch of meter, I should be able to go a bit nuts on a boss and just throw a ton of Piercing Voids if I want to.

Finally, ninja in the DOA/NG universe don't seem to be much on the 'covert ops' thing, so does it really matter if the mask comes off? Everything Ryu doesn't like just gets ripped to shreds anyways, which are the only things Ryu wouldn't want to see his face. Also, see Momiji, Kasumi, Ayane, and Hayate? No masks on any of their defaults.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
He wears the mask to reduce the chance of getting AIDS from constantly being covered in blood.what annoyed about NG3 wasn't that he showed his face all the time is what that he shouldn't have for that particular story it made his finally unmasking which should have been dramatic to mean nothing .

Hayabusas_Kid

Seriously guys. I think the origin story arc will work. Look at Assassin's Creed. There's no one main character in the series because their war against the Templars is never ending. DMC failed miserably because they didn't stay true to Dante's background. They pretty much took his character and scrapped everything we knew about Dante. Dante fought demons in limbo... He fought demons in his own turf and even brought the fight in hell. So even though, Dante kept his name in DMC, it's pretty much not the same Dante we all knew and love. I think the formula in Assassin's Creed worked because the controls are the same... Moves not only stayed the same, but they were enhanced and sprinkled in new techniques and new weapons. I believe it's more about he players familiarity with the controls has definiely more influence than the character's name itself. Not only is Assassin's Creed a great game, but every iteration of the series has an engaging story because we keep learning about different Assassin's. So in order for Ninja Gaiden to work, Team Ninja needs to keep the same formula and mechanics we all became fond of with NG1 and NG2. But also tell a story about the Ninja protagonist who held and wield the dragon sword. Heck, I wouldn't mind if they went a generation back and told the story of Joe Hayabusa. He was the one who wield the dragon sword and secured the eye of the dragon until Ryu was ready to take on the responsibility... Don't kill off Joe! I think that's a bad idea. If team Ninja were serious about humanizing Ryu, then they should've killed off Joe in NG3 and use that as the story for Ryu to take revenge... not saving some little girl he has nothing to do with and terrorists that any armed forces in the world can easily dispatch. That ship has sailed. So no more suggesting Joe should die.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Altair had one game before Ezio took the wheel,and then that Indian guy,and now some pirate guy they never established a "main" besides Desmond and all of their fans no not to get attched to a character to much cause their will likely be a new assassin in the next game.

Ryu has been in NG for 7 games and all of his DOA appearances, this wouldn't be like changing guys in AC it would be like how they tried to change guys in MGS with Raiden.remmember how well that went?

If Joe dies that leaves the burden of leading the Hayabusq villiage to Ryu whch would be interesting,story wise.ive no desire to play Sim Ninja Villiage....who am I kidding that sounds awesome but not for this game

Xernuht

Agreed. Ryu has been the face of Ninja Gaiden since it's creation. That won't ever change.

I do like the notion of a supporting cast, though. I realize people don't like dropping out of Ryu's story to play as Ayane/anyone else mid-story, but I felt bad about Kasumi getting story-shafted in RE. As such, why not just have Ryu's encounters with the other cast members unlock a playable side chapter for that character that you can start whenever you want? Of course, that could lead to self-contained side stories for them, or parallel stories where what they do assists Ryu in some way. Either way, a little plot love for the B-cast.

Of course, they would be selectable through Chapter Challenge as well, so there'd be lots of fun and replayability with that... but only if TN's resources could handle it.

bingsoo

NG3 Vanilla was bad enough for deviating too far from what made the series so good.
And now some of you want 4 to have a new protagonist altogether?

Ninja Gaiden is nothing like Assassin's Creed. AC can have a different protagonist in each game because the games are more about the historical context than a single character (excluding Desmond). Ninja Gaiden is not about Dragon ninjas. It's about Ryu Hayabusa. Yaiba is already polarizing because it's using the NG name brand for something different. It's treading on dangerous waters, but it's acceptable because it's an obvious spinoff. Having NG4 without Hayabusa would be the dumbest shit TN could ever pull off.

Want to explore the Dragon ninja history and lineage? Tell the story through diaries and ancient texts like in NG1. Don't enforce a story in an action game unless the story is worth telling.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Seriously guys. I think the origin story arc will work. Look at Assassin's Creed. There's no one main character in the series because their war against the Templars is never ending. DMC failed miserably because they didn't stay true to Dante's background. They pretty much took his character and scrapped everything we knew about Dante. Dante fought demons in limbo... He fought demons in his own turf and even brought the fight in hell. So even though, Dante kept his name in DMC, it's pretty much not the same Dante we all knew and love. I think the formula in Assassin's Creed worked because the controls are the same... Moves not only stayed the same, but they were enhanced and sprinkled in new techniques and new weapons. I believe it's more about he players familiarity with the controls has definiely more influence than the character's name itself. Not only is Assassin's Creed a great game, but every iteration of the series has an engaging story because we keep learning about different Assassin's. So in order for Ninja Gaiden to work, Team Ninja needs to keep the same formula and mechanics we all became fond of with NG1 and NG2. But also tell a story about the Ninja protagonist who held and wield the dragon sword. Heck, I wouldn't mind if they went a generation back and told the story of Joe Hayabusa. He was the one who wield the dragon sword and secured the eye of the dragon until Ryu was ready to take on the responsibility... Don't kill off Joe! I think that's a bad idea. If team Ninja were serious about humanizing Ryu, then they should've killed off Joe in NG3 and use that as the story for Ryu to take revenge... not saving some little girl he has nothing to do with and terrorists that any armed forces in the world can easily dispatch. That ship has sailed. So no more suggesting Joe should die.

stop

Hayabusas_Kid

Altair had one game before Ezio took the wheel,and then that Indian guy,and now some pirate guy they never established a "main" besides Desmond and all of their fans no not to get attched to a character to much cause their will likely be a new assassin in the next game.

Ryu has been in NG for 7 games and all of his DOA appearances, this wouldn't be like changing guys in AC it would be like how they tried to change guys in MGS with Raiden.remmember how well that went?

If Joe dies that leaves the burden of leading the Hayabusq villiage to Ryu whch would be interesting,story wise.ive no desire to play Sim Ninja Villiage....who am I kidding that sounds awesome but not for this game

I suppose so. I guess I was just so disappointed with the direction they took with NG3 that the new Team Ninja pretty much systematically killed this franchise... It's disappointing. Looking at the VGChartz in terms of how many NG3's (that's the garbage version and Razor's Edge combined) were sold so far, there's a good chance they may decide not to continue on with this franchise. But at the same time, realizing they screwed up, they're trying out spin-offs and what not to see if there are any interests in Ninja Gaiden by outsourcing it to other developers (Yaiba anyone?).

NG3 Vanilla was bad enough for deviating too far from what made the series so good.
And now some of you want 4 to have a new protagonist altogether?

Ninja Gaiden is nothing like Assassin's Creed. AC can have a different protagonist in each game because the games are more about the historical context than a single character (excluding Desmond). Ninja Gaiden is not about Dragon ninjas. It's about Ryu Hayabusa. Yaiba is already polarizing because it's using the NG name brand for something different. It's treading on dangerous waters, but it's acceptable because it's an obvious spinoff. Having NG4 without Hayabusa would be the dumbest shit TN could ever pull off.

Want to explore the Dragon ninja history and lineage? Tell the story through diaries and ancient texts like in NG1. Don't enforce a story in an action game unless the story is worth telling.

Yeah, but unlike you, I'd like to be able to play through the story rather than reading diaries in an action packed game. However, the term "Gaiden" means it's a tale or a side story of someone... so yes, maybe if TN decides to explore an origin-arc, then I guess it wouldn't be NG4.. but rather a spin-off instead. I agree with your thoughts on Yaiba. They are indeed walking on thin ice. With the number of fans dropping out of support of Ninja Gaiden because NG3, it's disappointing that they haven't learned their lessons of what fans really want out of a Ninja Gaiden game, spin-off or a true prequel/sequel.

SilverForte

The thing is that introducing a new protagonist would also undermine what makes Ryu great.. He is the most powerful ninja in the world, the singular super ninja. Introducing a new protagonist that can do exactly what he can would ruin part of what makes Ryu so awesome.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Yaiba is mostly being developed by other people if they are smart they will focus their resources on understanding fan feedback of NG3 in the meantime.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Also, NG3:RE didn't sell well because people thought a remake after barely a year was stupid (ring any bells?) despite that it fixed the game to be better.. MUCH better. So not many people took the chance to play the "real" NG3 and then some were scared off by Vanilla NG3 that they didn't want to play Ninja Gaiden if other games were gonna be the same.

I even saw someone on facebook claim "I wanted to feel like a ninja... I didn't feel like a ninja" I guess they didn't know that Ninja Gaiden is not only a Hack & Slash but a hard one if you want to go into Ninja Gaiden game feeling like a Super Ninja then you're looking at the wrong game lol NG makes you work to be good at the game (well... NG1/Black and NG2 did...)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD