No love for Brad?

Tones

Premium Donor
Pretty dead in here. Let's show him some love.

I ask you, Why did you choose him originally and why did you stick with him? What is there to like about him?

I chose brad wong because he knew zui quan (drunken fist) and when i like a character for it's personality and style i cant drop them even if they are bad i just cant drop them and i push to get better with them....also he is pretty funny lol

blackgenma

looking at other character threads like Bayaman, this place is barren. unfortunately, I'm not particularly good at this game, I don't utilize all the system mechanics (like slow escaping), so on the technical aspects, I can't contribute much to brad tech. I can at least humor this thread.

I play brad because he was the first character to appeal to me. While other members of the cast have appealed to me in 5, the only other character I play is Elliot, because he has exclusive animations with Brad in tag team (Yes, I am shallow) I stuck with Elliot because he's simple to play. I don't play this game enough, and I don't study this game's engine enough to to try to play other characters (so Bayaman and Bass remain untouched for me), and my brad is sub par, thanks to lack of practice and research. I momentarily picked up Akira, because he's my main in VF, but quickly dropped him when I realized that playing in in DOA 5 will ruin whatever prowess I had with him in VF, because I would have to relearn the character. Currently I find videos to be the best form of learning the game and character, so we could really use some more brad vids, since I'm not finding any :(

where's the appeal in brad? his design is cool to me, especially in 5. he's a relatively young guy (early 30s isn't what I call old) he practices druken boxing, and he's laid back. his design only got better with 5, where he looks more his age, and has a better hair style, and acts like a good-for-nothing bum. its a shame we can't customize his hair like we can for the girls. His play style is interesting due to his stance transition gimmick, and I've never played a character like that seriously before. Apparently they made fixes to his worse problems so he's not alone in the bottom of the barrel any more; all the more reason to stick with him.

if they buff him in some way or another in the upcoming patch, that would be nice, but I don't have any request save for giving him back any tools that he's missing from the previous game, such as his offensive hold. I don't see why you would strip tools from a character who was consistently awful in the previous games. I'm not qualified to make any evaluations beyond that.

anyone have the official guide? how good is it for character specific strats? does it give a good rundown on Brad?

Chaos

looking at other character threads like Bayaman, this place is barren. unfortunately, I'm not particularly good at this game, I don't utilize all the system mechanics (like slow escaping), so on the technical aspects, I can't contribute much to brad tech. I can at least humor this thread.

I play brad because he was the first character to appeal to me. While other members of the cast have appealed to me in 5, the only other character I play is Elliot, because he has exclusive animations with Brad in tag team (Yes, I am shallow) I stuck with Elliot because he's simple to play. I don't play this game enough, and I don't study this game's engine enough to to try to play other characters (so Bayaman and Bass remain untouched for me), and my brad is sub par, thanks to lack of practice and research. I momentarily picked up Akira, because he's my main in VF, but quickly dropped him when I realized that playing in in DOA 5 will ruin whatever prowess I had with him in VF, because I would have to relearn the character. Currently I find videos to be the best form of learning the game and character, so we could really use some more brad vids, since I'm not finding any :(

where's the appeal in brad? his design is cool to me, especially in 5. he's a relatively young guy (early 30s isn't what I call old) he practices druken boxing, and he's laid back. his design only got better with 5, where he looks more his age, and has a better hair style, and acts like a good-for-nothing bum. its a shame we can't customize his hair like we can for the girls. His play style is interesting due to his stance transition gimmick, and I've never played a character like that seriously before. Apparently they made fixes to his worse problems so he's not alone in the bottom of the barrel any more; all the more reason to stick with him.

if they buff him in some way or another in the upcoming patch, that would be nice, but I don't have any request save for giving him back any tools that he's missing from the previous game, such as his offensive hold. I don't see why you would strip tools from a character who was consistently awful in the previous games. I'm not qualified to make any evaluations beyond that.

anyone have the official guide? how good is it for character specific strats? does it give a good rundown on Brad?
I didn't like how TN stripped away the offense holds from certain characters. :(

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor

For every character, it has full frame data, as well as sections indicating safe moves, crushes, moves with frame advantage, some strategies for playing all of them, et cetera. Until Team Ninja releases a patch that changes move data (if they do), the guide is great to have just for the sake of having a physical reference of frame data.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
Brad was love at first sight for me. :bradwong:

I remember I was just walking in a mall and I watched DOA3 by first time across shopwindow. I entered the store and realize game was able to fee play!!! So I decided to pick up one of new characters... And... I couldn't believe it... What a style! Very smooth animations...! Super fun to play! Each button I mashed increased joy of watching! Brad has been the most satisfying surprise Team Ninja has given to me!!! Neither Rig was so satisfying despite I was long time waiting for Twaekondo join DOA cast...

So I grab Brad as my main from then until now, leting Helena, Gen and Ayane behind...

Tones

Premium Donor
I've had a good go at pretty much every character but Brad Wong is the only one that holds my interest. I get nothing but joy playing him, unless I'm getting raped also.

He feels fun to play.

The things on Brad ain't good. Frame data is always handy though. Check out my note pad for some real help.

Thank you for your replies everyone!

Remmy8199

Hey guys. No need for introductions. They have a thread for that :)

Anyway, I picked Brad because of his hilarious up/down shenanigans. It's hard for the other person to read what you're going to do next. Basically I have an unpredictable play style. And I stuck with him because the only other DOA game I played was Dimensions on the 3ds and I wanted to see more of his story.

And yeah, I realize I need a background for my avatar. I'm working on that.

HoodsXx

For me I mained Kasumi up until Doa3. I used him a bit in 3 but didn't really start getting into him until doa4. Admittedly he isbetter in 3.1 than 4 but meh. Anyways reason I chose him is I liked how unique he was compared to the rest of the cast. He also wasn't a main stream character that everyone used so I really wanted to pick him up and learn him. To show people that he was good at DOA. When he came out in doa5 and I tried him. I was deeply impressed his new handstance was amazing. His DHO was more than marvelous and just a lot of his setups and stun properties were what I wanted. The other thing I loved was that his laydown crushed properly and that fact that I could do the handstand kicks into a throw made it just that much more amazing. Despite being a pain to use against a lot of the top players and others that I know he's always a thrill to use.

Demoth

I love Brad Wong because his style is unique. He has stances that truly make me feel like he's a real martial artist unlike a lot of the other characters flying 90 feet into the air, or being 90 pounds yet able to one handed toss people across the map.

The problem I'm having with Brad is basically what a lot of people complain about; he's slow and easily knocked out of everything he does, or tries to do.

I can never stance transition against S ranked players because they will just low jab me out of everything. Brad also is incredibly easy to whiff punish or counter hit after he does a string.

I see Helena, Kokoro and Jann Lee players trapping people in uncounterable combos, yet Brad's moves seem to allow people to counter spam until something sticks.... Or just button mash if he starts comboing because you will get knocked out of whatever you're trying to do.

Demoth

Outch! :S Does somebody know a solution fot this problem?

The only solution is that your opponent has very slow reflexes. Brad telegraphs his stance transitions REALLY hard except for some of his crane stance transitions (after patch).

This is agitating because both transition into laying down and handstand have moves that can lead into them "like :1: :K: into :8_: are interruptible by pretty much any move.

I can never ever get into a handstand because of how slow it is. The only time the handstand works is if someone gets caught with your rising kick while laying down (counter hit) and knocked into the air for :K: :K: :K: :T:

Tones

Premium Donor
Don't go in to stances randomly. Go into stances out of range, off attacks, while they are down, after you've got a juggle, after they have gotten a juggle.

HS is good because they cannot hit you for much damage. You'll just fall away.

1kk8 is good, gives frame advantage on normal hit. only 9 frame jabs can stomp you before a HS k comes out. pp2k is good, so is 44k, 4pk, 2k+f 1k+f2, 6pp... You have a lot of options.

The majority of my stances are used to provide different mixups to force the opponent to continuously adjust their approach. Finding a crappier/slower oppenent doesn't solve the issue, you have to make them slow.

I'll be upload some videos soon, I've got a good one for you. Also, I'll make an addition entry in my "Brad Wong notepad" thread.

Tones

Premium Donor
Well done Chosen1 for proving Brad is not trash @ the fall classics.

@Tulkas I saw your placement, but how did feel about it?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD