No more reason to keep buying Xboxes...

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I don't see that happening as broadband penetration isn't a prominent as you'd like to think it is. There are a large portion of Xbox 360s sold that have never even been connected to the internet. Is Microsoft going to throw all those customers away? Not likely. The next Xbox and Playstation will absolutely have optical disc drives, count on it.

Game Over

I don't see that happening as broadband penetration isn't a prominent as you'd like to think it is. There are a large portion of Xbox 360s sold that have never even been connected to the internet. Is Microsoft going to throw all those customers away? Not likely. The next Xbox and Playstation will absolutely have optical disc drives, count on it.

I didn't say the next Xbox wouldn't have a disc drive. I see it still using DVD, just as PC does. And when I say I expect them to bank heavy on digital distribution, I see them releasing A LOT more games over XBL (including the full-release disc-based games), possibly allowing paying members of XBL to download some set amount of XBL-released games, securing more and more partnerships with various companies and studios to produce XBL-exclusive streamed/downloadable video content, and amping up the advertising for IT ALL. Also, disc-based games sold over XBL may even be sold at some discount, to encourage consumers to go the download route.

Raansu

Not too mention many companies are wanting to put bandwidth caps on their services.

Relius Starkiller

Those are both really well received games. You may have not personally liked them, and neither did I, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of people did. I still want a proper Banjo-Kazooie sequel though...

I can't think of anyone outside of a gaming journalist who enjoyed those titles past month 1.

Relius Starkiller

There are only something like 25 millon players on Xboxlive . . .but over 50 million consoles have been sold worldwide.

Piracy is a problem but its not like half of their install base is doing it - if they try to prop their console up with diigital distribution then they are alienating a large portion of their potential buyers (Myself Included).

I like buying used games, sometimes routers break, HD space isn't unlimited and I'd rather piss glass than have to wait 30 minutes to download a game whereas I could have simply drove down to the mall and back in 20.

The tech isn't there yet and trying to destroy another industry that isn't dealing significant damage to your business model (You're posting record profits Microsoft) is capitalism at its most disgusting.

Raansu

I like buying used games

Ya don't get used to that. I'm willing to bet next gen consoles will move away from the online passes and just have the software straight up be locked to your system id. Sony has already talked about it before so it really wouldn't surprise me if they go that route.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD