Nyo-tengu Beginner's Guide

Yurlungur

BoxsH_nIUAA0BHm.jpg:large

Understanding Nyo-Tengu:
Nyo tengu is a character who excels in spacing and has a good poking despite her frames. While she is extremely slow it is quite easy for her to gain frame advantage and to make good use of her attacks, she has an amazing stun game and is extremely damaging. While this is a beginners guide nyo-tengu isn't exactly suited for beginners or players new to the series. Due to her speed you need to be quite good at reading your opponent in order to make the most of her playstyle(Ie, holds crushs, ect.) I'm going to go over the basics to make sure you all know how she works and to utilize her style to the best of your ability.

Pokes:
  • 2pp: This literally is an amazing tool and something that can be extremely fun to abuse. +16 on normal hit, double low and if your opponent decides to hold you can simply get a 2T for a whopping 97 damage.
  • p+k: An extremely good poke, 11 frames and +35 on normal hit. It's also -12 while this is a great move it's still rather risky to just throw out.
  • 6ppp: If this connects it automatically puts the opponent in a red stun to the point where they need to guess the critical burst/Mitama-Okuri(hcf+T) mix up. It also is extremely safe at -5 and it's worth to just throw out as well due to the distance it goes. You can also cancel it quickly any time during the actual punches for throw mix ups. This move can also be performed doing SSppp.
  • 2h+k: a good sweep move that has a nasty mix up to it, if your opponent guess incorrectly you can go into the high and then into dance of hiten or perform the second low and perform either the third low or go into a 2T
  • Bt 2p: Extremely deceptive move, while it looks like a mid it's actually a low that gives you +28 on nh
  • SSK: You get a really good amount of frame advantage from this and also since it's a side step it helps you evade attacks as well another good move to just throw out due to it's hitbox and length.
Get off me/keep out tools:
  • 7p: Nyotengu simply does a backflip which avoids some attacks, she can follow up with another p for a headbutt charge which can send the opponent flying back if they do something risky while pressuring her. Very unsafe on block but it's a good tool to reset to neutral.
  • "Have Mercy" Taunt: Now a lot of you are probably going really? This is probably as gimmicky as it can get but it does have evasive properties. If your opponent is going to start an oki game and sees you move since it the motion of waking up certain attacks that. You can not low throw her unless your character has a ground throw and if will make your opponents who use OHs as an oki whiff.
  • 7kp: Arguably the best 7k in the entire game. Why? It has a follow up which your opponent needs to guess if you're going to do or not. While it's not as fast as alphas it is rather quick and good move to use.
  • 4p+k: The wind gust, this is actually a very interesting move. While you are at disadvantage the move knocks your opponent far back even on block to get the neutral space you need. At the closest range it pushes your opponent away to midscreen even on block. This is a good move to make your opponent wary of simply rushing in.
  • 66T: Generic OH, nothing to write home about but it's good to have while closing in on mashing opponents.
  • KK or 6K: This moves sends the opponent flying as far back as possible on normal hit. More info on this move in frame advantage.
Frame Advantage:
Due to nyo-tengu's speed she's going to have a lot of issue dealing with faster opponents, most of these moves will end up helping making matches a little easier and which moves you should be using quite a lot more of. These moves are advantage after block.
  • kk or 6k (+13): low profiles, tracks at beginning, hits high. Resets neutral. Travels far.
  • 4p(+12): deceptive move, can simple do kk to reset position and puts you in bt
  • h+k in dance of hiten (+12): natural combo if connects, 16 frames and evades lows
  • 6p+k(+5) (+11 with dance of hiten): very long reach, extremely good poke and can follow up with dance of hiten
  • 6T(+10): standard reset punish throw on. If your opponent holds does more damage and doesn't give you more advantage.
  • 4h+k(+3 uncharged, fully charged +8): gimmicky move but can be interesting due to charge.
  • pp6p into dance of hiten(+3, -11 if you don't enter the stance): standard jabs into stance, worth noting due to mix up potential. Also has a difficult to see low follow up.
  • 9k(+3): automatically goes into dance of hiten for a throw follow up or h+k for more adv.
Launchers:(from safest to unsafest)
  1. hcf+T
  2. 4K (& PK) -8 [i23]
  3. 214P (& 8PPP) -9 [i24]
  4. H+K (& 2H+K K & PP2KK CH only) -12 [i19]
  5. 8K -13 [i16]
  6. 3P (CH only) -14 [i18]
Karasu-Tobi and you:
This move is nyo-tengu's flying move, 9P. This move is important to note because of it's high mobility and the fact you can do quick tick throws and simply go into dance of hiten after. If your opponent does something unsafe from far away (playing the whiffing game). Nyo tengu can simply fly up and snatch them.

Moves in Karasu-Tobi
  • T: high grab
  • 2T: low grab
  • P+K: entrance into dance of hiten.
Dance of hiten and you:
Dance of hiten is one of the better stances in this game. While automatically entering this stance you will evade lows and throws from your opponent which is actually very helpful in most cases and makes it a bit more difficult to throw punish nyo from this stance. Just be careful not to be too abusive in this stance due to the fact you can get jabbed out of it.

Entrances into dance of hiten
  • pp6p p+k
  • pp2kk p+k
  • 8ppp p+k
  • 9p(forward flight) p+k, 9pp p+k or 9ppp p+k
  • hcb+p p+k
  • 1pp p+k/ 1ppp p+k
  • 66k p+k
  • 6p+k p+k
  • h+k p+k
  • 2h+k,k p+k
  • pp in dance of hiten
Moves in dance of hiten
  • ppp: standard combo ender, also second p will automatically go into dance of hiten again for a frame trap.
  • pk: Standard combo filler, useless in neutral
  • kp: Standard combo ender, useless in neutral
  • 2k: Standard dive kick, just like in 2d games safety depends on how the dick kick is placed
  • p+k: Knockback headbutt, very unsafe on block
  • h+k: view under frame advantage
  • T or 2t: Generic throws that can be performed in said stance, 2t in stance also works as grounded throws.
Combo video

Combo video made by user @866AiN999

Last edited:

Shiranui

Is it right if we (beginners) ask questions about her gameplay here? I don't know in which thread I should ask that..
Just two questions about her moveset: How does she fly back? How does she taunt while on the ground?

And other a bit more advanced questions.
-Any moves/combo that guarantees her flying low throw? (Hiten no Mai 2T)
-Which are her best starter moves when you are in close combat? Let's say you opponent is attacking you. You are blocking and suddenly you have the chance to start your offensive. Which are the best moves in that situation? everytime i tried to start my attacks I realized that they are slow and opponent has time enough to attack me again and counter me before I even touch him/her.
-How can 2PP be continued? After land 2PP your opponent is in stun but far from you. I don't know with which move continue

Yurlungur

Is it right if we (beginners) ask questions about her gameplay here? I don't know in which thread I should ask that..
Just two questions about her moveset: How does she fly back? How does she taunt while on the ground?

Well, i'm not a tengu expert since this guide is also helping me understand her further but i would also try the nyotengu general thread as well. She flies back with her 44taunt and while on the ground if she is face down head toward the opponent during a hard knockdown you can also press taunt.

I believe her back throw but i'm still unaware of anything guaranteed yet besides that.

-Which are her best starter moves when you are in close combat? Let's say you opponent is attacking you. You are blocking and suddenly you have the chance to start your offensive. Which are the best moves in that situation? everytime i tried to start my attacks I realized that they are slow and opponent has time enough to attack me again and counter me before I even touch him/her.

When i'm done the guide you'll see which are best pokes and what tools can be used to get pressure off her :p but since it is doa her reset throw does help when something is -7 or more (but you know doa online frames don't matter yada yada yada)

-How can 2PP be continued? After land 2PP your opponent is in stun but far from you. I don't know with which move continue

you can simply continue with another 2pp or 6ppp(which is safe), If you'd like to try some gimmicks and know they'll block 9p into T

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Low profile? Do you mean High Crushes?

Also you can probably add that 6PPP is safe and PP6PP is a +5 GB.

Brute

Standard Donor
YOU CAME TO THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD.

Seriously, well-timed free-cancel pressure is going to be a bitch to retaliate against with Nyo, given you have the slowest mid pokes in the game. Your best bets are P+K, 6P, 7K and 2PP, though.

synce

I wouldn't call Tengu a gimmick character, she has legit zoning ability. So far I've seen a few people bitch at me about her wind and stuff but they don't understand how stupid it is to fight at close range when your fastest non-high is i15. A smart player will get in and use lots of high crushes against Tengu because it completely locks her down. Conversely a smart Tengu will not let anyone in.

If you like taking risks though you can try playing her at close range. She has the best CB damage in the game and probably the best i12 punisher so it could be worth your while. Her stun-launch is decent too, although a blocked P+K is throw punishable and easily crushed.

Intelligent Alpha

I wouldn't call Tengu a gimmick character, she has legit zoning ability. So far I've seen a few people bitch at me about her wind and stuff but they don't understand how stupid it is to fight at close range when your fastest non-high is i15. A smart player will get in and use lots of high crushes against Tengu because it completely locks her down. Conversely a smart Tengu will not let anyone in.

If you like taking risks though you can try playing her at close range. She has the best CB damage in the game and probably the best i12 punisher so it could be worth your while. Her stun-launch is decent too, although a blocked P+K is throw punishable and easily crushed.

FME, most play her like the other characters. you know, zoning/keepaway aren't allowed. Leave that to MK/Injustice and that ilk! This game exerts being close up (I'm still being told to do that! What?) Btw, can her wind gust be held indefinitely? (Other characters have Charge Moves, but none kick up dust like Nyotengu! haha)

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I won't consider a gimmick character. Boskinovich and what's his name from SCV are gimmick characters but not NT. She falls into the zoner and poking category since her attacks mostly cause stun on normal hit and her frame advantage is high allowing her use of her pokes.

Yurlungur

If someone could be nice enough to do the launchers for me from safest too unsafest that would be just swell, a+ for you + I'm gonna scower the internet for nyotengu combo videos later

stay free step dodge

Brute

Standard Donor
4K (& PK) -8 [i23]
214P (& 8PPP) -9 [i24]
H+K (& 2H+K K & PP2KK CH only) -12 [i19]
8K -13 [i16]
3P (CH only) -14 [i18]

Last edited:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Hey, I'm an informative guy. Hard for me not to be informative.

I think one thing you could point out is that her strings have a lot of delay, which helps with tick throw setups and conditioning. :6::P::P::P: has such long delay window between hits you can do a lot of mixups.

Edit: okay, I didn't expect that.

Last edited:

miyodarius

I
And other a bit more advanced questions.
-Which are her best starter moves when you are in close combat?
Her down forward crouching grab leads into a ground grab, and a lot of stuns that leads your opponent to fall to the ground. You can simply 9p 2t if they don't tech
If your opponent won't get off of u, 7kp, p+K, and 2pp are good moves to open ur opponent up.
About comboing from 2pp. PPP connects from most distances. And u can air throw afterwards. Decent damage off a quick low attack

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD