DOA5LR Online Beta Test for Steam, from 6/24 to 6/30.

FakeSypha

UPDATE: Whelp. The official update will be postponed due to major issues found in the Beta Test. Also, the online beta testing will keep going. No dates were given, so it's waiting time it seems.

Official DOA5LR page: http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/lastround/us/info_steam1.03_beta_i.html

Notice Regarding the Update for Online Functionality for Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on Steam

To our valued customers,

We are currently beta testing the update to add online functionality to DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round on Steam. We originally announced that we would release the update by the end of June 2015. However, due to major issues found during the beta test, we will be postponing the release of the update.

We apologize for the last minute notification and regret deeply the trouble we have caused our Steam customers who were looking forward to the online functionality. We will update the website with a new release date as soon as it is set.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

For the ones who have not noticed yet, Team Ninja updated the official webpage with info regarding the online features of DOA5LR Steam version. Read below to learn how to join the beta test. The info is pretty much straight forward.

Also, don't forget to check out the Free Step Dodge Steam group if you have the chance.
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round - Steam Version Online Features Beta Test

TIME & DATE
START: Weds., 6/24 7:00 PM (PDT)
END: Weds., 6/30 4:59 PM (PDT)

An official update will be released at the end of the Beta test period. The timing of this update is subject to change.

HOW TO JOIN
The Beta test is only open to users who have purchased Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on Steam.

1. With the game fully downloaded, right-click on "Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round" in the Steam Library and select "Properties".
2. Click on the "Header" tab and enter "DOA5LROnlineBetaBranch" as the access code. (A message will appear below if successful.) Select "onlinebeta" from the drop-down list.3. Close the Properties window. You will know you have joined successfully when "onlinebeta" is added to the game title in the library.
4. Run Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round.

REPORTING ISSUES
If you encounter any issues while participating in the Dead or Alive 5 Last Round Beta, please let us know by filling out the form below.

OTHER INFO

・Participation is limited to users in certain countries/regions.
・Beta test plans are subject to change without notice.
・When reporting an issue, please fill out all sections on the form marked as required. Other sections are optional.
・Information we receive may be used in the future to improve users' experience. However, please understand that we may not be able to respond to all reported issues.
・Some users may be individually contacted by Koei Tecmo Games regarding an issue they have reported. Koei Tecmo Games will never disclose personal information to outside parties.

Last edited:

Meddling-Monk

Just hope the players I'm facing don't think I'm anti-social or anything by not using mic or anything.
Reminder to users beta testing the online, to increase your "Max difficulty" upwards to a higher level, as on default it's set very low, otherwise during certain parts of the day you may have a hard time finding others to face.
:: edit ::
In relation to this, as no one is "losing" any points, everyone will eventually exceed the minimum rank for players to face, so increasing the "Max Difficulty" ensures during the beta you still face everyone.

Last edited:

Kronin

I post even here my message:

Very importantly, today were even released 2 survey for the PC users, one being the usual general one about the feedback to the game (however adressed to the Steam users), and another purposefully related to the issues meet testing the beta online version of the game.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/doa5lr_steam_en

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/doa5lr_steam_beta_en

Be sure to make hear your voice about both the matters, our feedback is the only way to convince the people behind the game to improve the product according to the fanbase preferences (and I suppose that everyone know about what I'm talking about, the missing contents from the console version).

Last edited:

Kohlrak

So now comes the important question to me and others who refuse to buy the steam version without certain internet capabilities. Is it ranked only? Or are there dojos and unranked matches?

ChrisArmoun

So now comes the important question to me and others who refuse to buy the steam version without certain internet capabilities. Is it ranked only? Or are there dojos and unranked matches?
Sadly it's ranked only right now. No other options whatsoever besides viewing the leaderboard. As I've never been a fan of ranked as a primary mode of play I seriously doubt I'll continue playing if rank will be the end of it.

On a positive note, I've played 7 matches online against different people and every one of the matches was incredibly clean with no lag. I was even able to read and react on sight, which is something I've not been able to do on the PS4 version, due to its input lag.

Meddling-Monk

There is one thing I noticed. In the options for online to show which toon you want to be represented by, the descirption does say "display as your main character in lobbies, etc". Whether this is just copy and paste from the Consoles and they didn't correct, or whether this will indeed get this later on is anyone's guess though.

Kohlrak

There is one thing I noticed. In the options for online to show which toon you want to be represented by, the descirption does say "display as your main character in lobbies, etc". Whether this is just copy and paste from the Consoles and they didn't correct, or whether this will indeed get this later on is anyone's guess though.

Given the hardware and that it's really the same code with separate build options, it's copy pasta. They just missed their #ifdef statement.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
glass half full, i expect lobbies to be made online. It's just easier to start with getting networking working in ranked then do all of the additional features required for lobbies after the fact.

Brute

Standard Donor
Some Bugs/Glitches I've encountered so far:

1) Sometimes the background rapidly flickers, showing different areas of the stage while the players remain in focus. Very distracting and nauseating. Seems to trigger most often when pushed against a corner/wall. Resets after a Round ends.

2) Random freezes/crashes.

3) Match locked out, allowing neither myself or my opponent to press any buttons. Timer continued to count down.

4) Lost my Winstreak and Silver Bounty without even playing a match. Continued to win and got the "Gold Fighter" title award, but wins/GP bonuses returned to 0, and I had to reattain Bronze/Silver and then eventually the Gold bounty.

5) My NAT setting reads as "Strict"

Meddling-Monk

Looks like my observation earlier was premature. Either any rank less than E in this beta doesn't lose points, or around the 1750 point mark begins the point loss. As I've never been online before on the consoles, I gather this is the norm?

Kronin

Looks like my observation earlier was premature. Either any rank less than E in this beta doesn't lose points, or around the 1750 point mark begins the point loss. As I've never been online before on the consoles, I gather this is the norm?

Actually this happens even on console, however it's an addition brought from Ultimate or Last Round (I remember that in Vanilla even the minor ranks allowed you to lose points). It's very likely an element inspirated again from the working of VF5:FS

Kohlrak

glass half full, i expect lobbies to be made online. It's just easier to start with getting networking working in ranked then do all of the additional features required for lobbies after the fact.

I want to believe, but the backend is being beta-tested. The frontend is already there. What do they need yet? I could understand not allowing this for the test to help control results, but they should announce it PDQ after the test is over.

Some Bugs/Glitches I've encountered so far:

1) Sometimes the background rapidly flickers, showing different areas of the stage while the players remain in focus. Very distracting and nauseating. Seems to trigger most often when pushed against a corner/wall. Resets after a Round ends.

2) Random freezes/crashes.

3) Match locked out, allowing neither myself or my opponent to press any buttons. Timer continued to count down.

4) Lost my Winstreak and Silver Bounty without even playing a match. Continued to win and got the "Gold Fighter" title award, but wins/GP bonuses returned to 0, and I had to reattain Bronze/Silver and then eventually the Gold bounty.

I keep hearing about this "strict" thing. what exactly does it mean? Could it mean lack of port-forwarding? If so, we can fix that, and i'll offer skype support. I don't have the game, but if you call me on skype when i'm available, we can work on it together.

Shoulda just put this crap on green light before releasing as a full game on steam eh.

It would seem that they're working on a new backend for the netcode. Seems that people are already pleased, which i'd love to know more about.

WAZAAAAA

Any official information regarding the NAT? How to meet the Open/Moderate/Strict conditions exactly?

FakeSypha

Mine too. I read some comments on Steam with some people having the same issue. Not sure if it actually "strict" per se, though.

I expect the same. And I believe they're going to add the lobby features. At least, it makes more sense to add lobby than not adding it.

Kohlrak

Mine too. I read some comments on Steam with some people having the same issue. Not sure if it actually "strict" per se, though.

Offer stands with you. I have theories, and i'll work with you over skype.

I expect the same. And I believe they're going to add the lobby features. At least, it makes more sense to add lobby than not adding it.

Or does it? If they aren't investing alot into it and just want us to shut up about PC (proving it won't work) they won't put the effort in it (with the comments about better net code in place, that doesn't seem to be the case, but it could just be an illusion they're experimenting with). Or if they're worried about the steam version ruining PS4/XBONE sales they won't. If they don't think it'd be good for the steam culture, they won't. If they want to send a message to us whiners, they won't. If they're afraid of DLC piracy, they won't.

Though, another thing is, if the DX11 theory of why they won't add the stages is true, there's also no reason they can't have a "DX11 enabled" setting in the graphical options that would also allow the stages and disable them without the DX11 stuff. I don't know how much work that would entail, however, as i don't do DX coding (i remember reading DX9 documentation with the knowledge of C++ alone and standard C++ libs and the documentation was an absolute mess with circular definitions).

OWW

Almost positive they're going to release lobbies. They're probably just starting the test with Ranked for now.

Good news is 4-5 bars is incredibly good. Almost feels like offline.

My only gripe is not being able to turn off player's mics. Don't really care for chatter and background noise in a fight. Hopefully they'll give us an option for that as well.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor

Just a thought I came up with ... does the arcade version actually offer a lobby feature too? Since I doubt it does, I rather have the feeling that TN is just going to be like "... we can't add lobby features because the game is based on the arcade version ... "

And they don't seem to put a lot of manpower to this game anymore in general.

coffeedad

I <3 Jesus...and coffee.
Premium Donor
Just played about 20 matches and I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by the online play.

I played in my office and my office has TERRIBLE speed, 15.8 down .87 up (yeah, not a typo). It's the best speed that I can get in a 7th story office without paying 300 a month though.

My NAT setting is "strict". Maybe everyone's is strict for the beta.

With the exception of the 1 bar connection that I played (oof!) it felt great for online play. Felt better than my XBONE at home where i have open ports and 50.8 down 5.7 up.

1 bar is horrid of course but 3-4 bars felt great. Didn't get a chance to play a 5 bar and I doubt I will with my connection.

I got some flickering on the background of one of the stages during one round in a match and that was pretty disorienting :0

Is there a way to mute mics as of now?

Does anyone know the exact port numbers to open for Steam? Thanks!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD