DOA5LR Online Beta Test for Steam, from 6/24 to 6/30.

Akumasama

So what should I search? Nearby? Same?
I swear it worked just fine the first few days. Now I keep getting only crashes whenever I do a Search.
If I try for Throwdowns game works fine but no throwdown appears ever even after 1+ hours.

Yeah if I search "Nearby" or "Same" no crash at all, but no game found either. When I tried the first few days I was playing with "Any" and was finding matches incredibly fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randzz

Yeah if I search "Nearby" or "Same" no crash at all, but no game found either. When I tried the first few days I was playing with "Any" and was finding matches incredibly fast.
Which defeats the purpose of the online portion. One of the main ideas behind online play is that you're supposed to play with or against people from "all over the world". If you can only play either "nearby" or "same region", that's nothing but an insult.

Akumasama

Insult or not, I suspect it's still not working because I hardly believe in over 40 mins the game couldn't find anybody from either "Same" or "Nearby".
More likely there's something broken either in my client or in their server, or both.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
You guys can also try to search tag ranked matches instead. That hasn't crashed for me a single time yet, no matter what kind of region settings I used or if I looked for opponents via throwdowns. The only thing is, that it takes ages to find someone (mainly because not many players try it I guess).

Still had some good matches yesterday with that, though.

Last edited:

Kohlrak

Don't search Any Region, best way to avoid crashes when searching.

Is that actually consistent every time, or are you guessing from your own personal statistics that it's merely less likely to crash by not scoping regions? Such information is what Team Ninja needs to find the exact cause of the crashes (reproduce-ability is the first order of debugging).

You guys can also try to search tag ranked matches instead. That hasn't crashed for me a single time yet, no matter what kind of region settings I used or if I looked for opponents via throwdowns. The only thing is, that it takes ages to find someone (mainly because not many players try it I guess).

Still had some good matches yesterday with that, though.

For the same reason stated above, submit that.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Is that actually consistent every time, or are you guessing from your own personal statistics that it's merely less likely to crash by not scoping regions? Such information is what Team Ninja needs to find the exact cause of the crashes (reproduce-ability is the first order of debugging).

Based on reports of those in the Steam Forum, and I've had about a 9 out of 10 repro rate.

Kohlrak

Based on reports of those in the Steam Forum, and I've had about a 9 out of 10 repro rate.

Something not happening cannot be documented. Maybe it works that way, only much slower. However, the added consistency of "its' more likely to happen by region searching" is something to look at. Next is to look for regional correlations, to see if the cause is somehow related to that. Now if anyone can find a way to make the problem happen every time...

Just out of curiosity, how often do your searches time out without finding viable opponents? Could there be a connection with wait time? Try turning on your strictest settings and see what happens. Another possibility is if you wait a while and suddenly get a matching result, in which case the actual issue is a race condition (probably the most common cause of segfaults which is what this is).

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Here is an automatic launcher for the game if anyone would like it. All it does is just relaunch the game as soon as the process terminates. Makes the crashes a little less of a headache :p

http://bit.ly/1IXd0Kc

Kohlrak

Meh, it's not a permanent solution. I wonder if anyone would be willing to pass down a stack trace or something like that.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Mine never crashes either when I don't choose any region but then I can never find anyone.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Mine never crashes either when I don't choose any region but then I can never find anyone.

Sounds like you're afflicted with my old issue. I was on some second group which prevented me from finding the majority of players, benefit was that I never crashed while searching Matchmaking even when finding the few players in my pool.

Kohlrak

I got several full memory crashdumps, but with nobody to pass them to they're kinda useless.

I'm not sure a full dump is even legal to send (since a full dump would include the executable), but some bits of information would be useful to me to help figure out what's going on, not that anyone who can fix things would actually listen to my recommendation (especially since i don't have a fancy degree or work for a big company).

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
It seems like the crahses are being triggered by a certain type of opponent/connection that the game doesn't like. I get multiple crashes regardless of what I put the region setting on.

FakeSypha

The game just updated with a 12MB patch. The "press start" screen says Ver 1.03 (Beta 2) now. I didn't actually notice any change so far (Nat is still strict, game keeps crashing randomly and all other stuff you're probably aware).

S3y4l7E.png

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Probably added one line of code during lunch break and that was enough to justify a version upgrade.

salt is real haha

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD