Pai questions and answers thread (Fundamentals)

AKNova7

Learning when to use her stances. She has three of them.

She still has her BT stance in the game? I know she has crouch stance and her BT stance, so which exactly am I forgetting here? I play Pai in VF, yet, oddly enough, I can't remember a third stance.

Her crouch stance will be a lot better in this game because of it's ability to crush linear and horizontal mids, if I remember correctly. Or was that Helena's crouch stance? Bah, I don't play VF anymore.

HoodsXx

Yes she has BT stance and crouch stance still. And she has she other stance that's sort of like Xiayou's where she circles around the opponent a bit.

Nightpup

What are some of Pai's juggles for DOA5? As of now, the only one I'm using is :P::P::P::7::K:. I need to defy some gravity, here, people. Pai will be my VF character for DOA5.

NightAntilli

She still has her BT stance in the game? I know she has crouch stance and her BT stance, so which exactly am I forgetting here? I play Pai in VF, yet, oddly enough, I can't remember a third stance.

Her crouch stance will be a lot better in this game because of it's ability to crush linear and horizontal mids, if I remember correctly. Or was that Helena's crouch stance? Bah, I don't play VF anymore.
Bokutai, Hakkeshou and Meishouho. And yeah her Bokutai can evade some mids.

the space cadet

I consider myself a beginner at DoA, considering DoA3 (?) on the original xbox is the only one I played... but I consider myself to be an advanced Pai user in VF5:FS. The only credibility or evidence I can provide for that claim is having peaked at #42 on the leaderboard.

Pai being in DoA5 is what sold the game for me. Reading through the previous pages in this thread, I'd have to disagree with some of the comments, such as Pai having a weak low game.

Anyways, I finally put a little time into using Pai, and similar to any Akira, Sarah, and Pai player that's making the transition to doa5, the modicum of time I've been able to spend has been for the purpose of identifying the differences in mechanics. It was very awkward at first because the timing of certain attacks have changed, and the resulting animations of the opponent after being hit with specific moves are different... some of which don't necessarily change the ensuing combo/juggle, but there are occurances that hinder your actions, such as ending a juggle with a flipkick. In VF, doing that would result in the opponent landing on the back of their neck/shoulder with their legs folding over their body. That prevented them from being able to tech roll or tech stand, allowing you to follow up. Doing that same juggle in doa5 doesn't alter the physics of an airborn opponent. Their body remains in the horizontal position the entire time, and they land in that same manner, so they presumeably would be able to tech roll.This defeats the purpose of ever using that juggle.

It's these little differences that I have to learn and adapt to (in addition to the core mechanics of doa). I've moved to a different city and need to learn the neighborhood, but I've brought some luggage with me from my old destination.

What are some of Pai's juggles for DOA5? As of now, the only one I'm using is :P::P::P::7::K:. I need to defy some gravity, here, people. Pai will be my VF character for DOA5.
I'd like to help you, but I don't know how to post those command buttons.

NightAntilli

In DOA5 Pai's low game is very good. For example while her 1K+G leaves you at -6 in VF5FS on hit, it leaves you I believe at +12 in DOA5. I don't think I'm gonna be using Pai for DOA5 though.. Learning her here will ruin my VF5FS version.

the space cadet

They're smilies/emotes. Just click the yellow smiley above the text box..
Ahh, thanks. So, regarding your question for juggles, the one you listed was excellent in VF because it essentially guaranteed a follow up if you time :4::P: or :6::6::P+K: correctly. This won't work in DoA5 because the :7::K: at the end of the juggle doesn't cause the opponent to have a crippled landing. It's still fine for the purpose of juggles, but the staple PPKK juggle takes off more damage (in VF anyways).

What might work out as a great juggle in DoA5 is :P::P::4::P::K::2::K:.

In VF, you'd have to leave out the :2::K: because if the opponent tech rolled after the :K: (which any good player would do) the :2::K: would whiff, leaving you open for a counter launcher. I only tried this juggle a couple times, but the properties of a tech roll in DoA seem to be different than in VF... so the final sweep of the juggle still connected on the cpu player that tech rolled. I'll have to spend more time to verify how solid it is.

In DOA5 Pai's low game is very good. For example while her 1K+G leaves you at -6 in VF5FS on hit, it leaves you I believe at +12 in DOA5. I don't think I'm gonna be using Pai for DOA5 though.. Learning her here will ruin my VF5FS version.
I expect a great low game for Pai in DoA5. Her low game is very effective in VF if handled correctly.

Also, the reason you stated for not using Pai in DoA5 is the exact same thing I've contemplated. I'm conflicted on whether or not to actually use her... especially since I really like Kasumi.

Nightpup

PP4PK2K was my original juggle for Pai, but it whiffed on heavies and the last kick never hits for me if the opponent tech rolls sideways.

the space cadet

PP4PK2K was my original juggle for Pai, but it whiffed on heavies and the last kick never hits for me if the opponent tech rolls sideways.
I finally spent a good amount of time learning the differences between the VF Pai and the DoA Pai. First, to correct a couple mistakes from my previous post:

After the flipkick at the end of the juggle in VF, the follow up is :6::6::H+K:... not that it matters since you can't do any follow up from that juggle in DoA.

Also, the juggle I mentioned to you that ends with :2::K:, like you mentioned, does not connect when someone tech rolls, as is the case in VF. When I did it and it connected against the cpu that tech rolled, it had to have been some kind of rare occurance.

So... here is what else I can safely say about the "disadvantages" of the DoA Pai compared to the original:

-Virtually none of her "advanced" combos/juggles work in DoA. And for two main reasons: :4::6::H+K: does not cause the opponent to do "the worm" when they hit the ground after being launched, nor does it incite the same reaction off a wall. This instantly eliminates a wealth of Pai's high damaging combos/juggles. One example is what is easily one of her best juggles in VF... :2::3::P+K: (counter launcher), :P:, :4::6::H+K:, :6::H+K:, rising :P+K::P:(buffered)

That juggle would take off around 45% of the entire life bar, but because the forementioned attack no longer causes "the worm" when rebounding off the ground, you can't do the rest of the juggle that caused the most damage. A lot of options stemmed from that attack after a launcher or wall hit... they were all left behind in VF's closet when Pai boarded the plane for DoA.

There are other "disadvantages" during Pai's transition to a new game, but there isn't really a necessity to keep talking about them, unless someone is curious. I just need to spend some time figuring out if I wanna relearn how to use a character that I already have a deep understanding of in order to use her under new rules... or if I should just just kick my beloved Pai to the curb and seek out a replacement...

Brute

Standard Donor
I am a Helena player but I want to learn Pai anyone want to train with me?
Mash buttons. Win.

Just go through her command training. All of her moves are very fast and quite instinctive to do. If you really wanna rock people's shit up, free cancel combos.

Honestly, she's very good for new players, and only gets better if you take the time to learn her intricacies. Pressure is key. Don't let them breathe. At least in my experience.

the space cadet

I am a Helena player but I want to learn Pai anyone want to train with me?
I'm a "pro" Pai user in VF5:FS with numerous wins against top ranked players on the ps3. I spent my first two days of DoA5 familiarizing myself with how she translates to a new fighting game. Here's the first bit of advice from one of the most solid Pai users you'll run into: Do not use Pai in DoA5... unless you're a more casual player that has no intention of getting serious in ranked matches. DoA5 players that are taking Pai on a test drive against other DoA players not familiar with her have no idea how much of her skillsets have been left behind in VF. She is a cheapened version of the original VF Pai.

But, despite my warning, if you still want to learn the true advantages/disadvantages of her move sets and stances, then add me on psn. I can explain her in very specific detail... or I can just show you the fundamentals.

Raze

LMFAO you're not a PRO VF player, you don't play offline at any of the tournaments, you are known to duck VFDC members, you joined that forum just to flame, cherry picked your way up the leader board, and you aren't even close to best PAI player on PSN.

Vencabot

I'm a "pro" Pai user in VF5:FS with numerous wins against top ranked players on the ps3. [...] Here's the first bit of advice from one of the most solid Pai users you'll run into

Just registered because I heard that The_Space_Cadet was talking about his awesome Pai, haha, and I guess that it's a boon, anyway, since I'll be picking up DoA soon! Just thought that it'd be amusing to chime-in that Space_Cadet was an unknown scrub that got laughed out of the Virtua Fighter community for boosting his rank by challenging and only accepting challenges from lower-ranked opponents and for bragging about how he's not the sort of player that wanted any advice, since, "I spend no time training in the dojo, have no idea what things like 9kk mean, have no idea what my 'safe' moves are, and have no intention at all to dedicate every single spare minute of my free time to get to 'tournament level' which in the end would grant me nothing in life anyways." He came off as a real jerk during his limited time in the community, but I'm glad to see that he must have gotten over his distaste for high-level play now that he's apparently one of the most solid Pai's that you'll ever run into! Ranked play on Virtua Fighter has been pretty dead since the game was released, sadly, and I was proud (and very lucky) to have taken a few wins on some 'top-ranked' players back when I was first starting, and so I wouldn't let it get to your head. If you're not a basement-dweller with clearly misaligned priorities (what does being a tournament level player ~really~ get you out of life, anyway?), and if you don't care about frames and analyzing key fighting game mechanics, I doubt that you could be especially solid or any kind of authority on how well a character has made a transition between the two games, but ah well.

DoA is certainly a different game from VF, and I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that she was a watered-down version of her Virtua Fighter counterpart didn't have much bearing on her viability as a character. Of course, I should probably defer to the pros, like Space_Cadet; I just think that the argument that she doesn't feel as good to him as her Virtua Fighter counterpart seems like a strange one to make.

I'm hoping that I find that Pai is viable in DoA, and from what I've heard from other sources (less reliable than The_Space_Cadet's expert opinion, of course), she's quite strong indeed, which is nice, because I'll probably end up playing her, myself. My only fear is that she'll be ~too~ strong, since that could diminish some of the satisfaction from my potential victories, haha.

Looking forward to learning more about the game from this site, even if it makes me a total nerd and means that I don't have my life in order!

-David

DR2K

I'm finding Pai a lot easier to use in DOA5 than VF5. Don't know why, she plays the stun system well and is a pressure monster.

shunwong

I'm finding Pai a lot easier to use in DOA5 than VF5. Don't know why, she plays the stun system well and is a pressure monster.

+ 1
I have no clue how to use Pai in VF (or any character besides Shun). In DOA I'll probably main her (I'm still gravitating between Elliot, Gen Fu, Kokoro and Pai).

PS: VFDC + Bad games thread = drama

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD