Playstation 4 vs Xbox One: One thread to rule them all

KAP

Microsoft's Xbox One Costs $90 More to Build than Sony's PS4. Kinect is $75 of that cost.

Even with removing Kinect from the box, the Xbox One still costs 25 dollars more to make than the PS4. This is partly due to Microsoft's decision to embed ESRAM on the APU.

the biggest cost driver inside the Xbox console, said Andrew Rassweiler, the IHS analyst who led the teardown team, is the microprocessor from chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices. Like a similar AMD-made chip found inside the PS4, this one is a combination of a CPU and a graphics-processing unit (GPU) that handles gaming graphics. At an estimated cost of $110 — about $10 more than the AMD chip found in the PS4 — it’s the single most expensive component in the system.

Yes. Microsoft is paying $10 more than Sony is for their microprocessor, and getting significantly less performance.

The other cost which Xbox One has and PS4 doesn't is the external power supply, which costs Microsoft about $25 dollars to make. The PS4's power supply is internal and costs significantly less.

http://allthingsd.com/20131126/micr...-more-to-build-than-sonys-ps4-teardown-shows/

KAP

How Long Until You Can First Play A Game On PS4 And Xbox One
[Since this has been asked in the comments a lot: We recorded these times with the consoles hooked up normally. Even though having the PS4 plugged into the Xbox shouldn't affect anything, we only did that for the video]

Assassin's Creed IV: Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

The rest of these were tested on our office Wi-Fi which is around 9-11Mbps. It may have been faster on a wired connection, but you can compare your own connection speed here. These are our results:

Need For Speed Rivals: XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014: XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38

http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Assassin's Creed (which I literally just bought today for Xbox One) let me start playing at 12% so I think their numbers are a bit off (or something changed post-release and they didn't re-test that one). It was maybe three minutes at most but I was putting groceries away at the time and only looked over at the Ready notification. Battlefield 4 took me the longest but there's a pretty hefty patch that goes along with that one and I was downloading it digitally so no disc. I want to say it was a good 20 minutes before I could play from the moment I bought it and it started downloading.

My connection is wired and around 40mbps reliably (50mbps theoretical).

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
AC was nearly instant on PS4, BF4 took the longest here as well. I could play the single player instantly, but the multiplayer took around 10 minutes or so.

Of course, stability is another story....

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Xbox One has been pretty stable online the last couple days. I played three Conquest Large matches on the Second Assault maps with no real lag to speak of and no crashes. Whatever they're doing server-side has been helping. I hear the crashes have been completely fixed in PS4 land as well with a patch. Or damn near to completely.

Chapstick

PS+ subs are $30 instead of the usual $50 tomorrow at gamestop, max 2 per customer. Just FYI for PS4 people that don't have + yet and the subs stack, if you already have a year you can add another right away and be covered for 2 years. I think the xbox subs might have a deal too but I don't remember.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Live goes on sale multiple times a year through Amazon and that's usually where I go. I'm covered through 2016 already.

Nameless Sama

I was a withness of this animal racing. Today is the launch day of the PS4 in europe. I havent bought a ps4 yet. I just wanted to buy a Headphone for my walkman.

Here are some videos about that.

( a friend of me recored it xD ) that was funny

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
ppl go fucking crazy for black friday, push, trampling, kicking, killing each other for what? like a toaster that's 20% off lmao

I will never go black friday shopping, ill do it online instead

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Stop posting articles in here. Seriously it's a discussion thread not a link farm. Should I post the ones about the Xbox One crushing the PS4 on Black Friday in the US? Personal accounts belong in a discussion thread, not links that rarely generate discussion beyond "See, _____ is crushing _____!" or "This doesn't even matter because _____."

On topic, I tried Xbox Fitness tonight and it's surprisingly good. I am evidently way out of shape and it did a fair job at kicking my ass in a short amount of time.

Soaring Zero

First off...Iove this thread's title lol.

Secondly I have yet to buy one of the new consoles but will mostly likely get a PS4 before an Xbox one. Needless to say I was actually much more entertained by the Black Friday insanity. Btw has anyone heard about the consoles having issues?

Game Over

Stop posting articles in here. Seriously it's a discussion thread not a link farm.

What's the problem? Articles can provide new topics for discussion based on updates to current events/news/progress/etc. And, for example, links to articles can help keep a person from sounding like they are pulling numbers from their *** when making a post about something like sales numbers. Feel free to post what you'd like, as well!

That said ...

Microsoft Isn't Being Specific About Xbox One Sales

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I clearly explained what the problem is and my post was directed at the poster above mine, quoted or not. Don't be a smartass.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD