PS3 vs 360 comparison

synce

The PS3 has more tearing, now that's a surprise... I really expected this to turn out like NG3. So much for PS3 being the lead platform :confused:

Chaos

The PS3 has more tearing, now that's a surprise... I really expected this to turn out like NG3. So much for PS3 being the lead platform :confused:
Thats just TN talking out of their asses, PS3 ver. have screen tearing really?
For goodness sakes Uncharted 2 & INfamous 2 doesn't have that bullshit screen tearing. If these dumbass game developers think they know
all about the PS3's hardware, then they need to get their heads out of Microsoft's ass and know the PS3's fuckin flawed hardware. :mad: I should of known to buy Tekken Tag 2 instead or I could of bought DOA5 on Xbox 360!

FakeSypha

So PS3 as the lead platform is nothing but bullshit, at least for this game. Well, the differences are quite small, but they're still there and favor the X360 on every aspect.

Home Consumer

The fastest that a 60fps game can display inputs on screen is 4 frames (technical reasons), which is 66.7ms, and that's what fighters should optimally operate at. 5 frames is 83.3ms and 6 frames is 100ms. 5 frames is still not bad, but 6 or higher is atrocious. That's effectively playing the game at 30fps (Halo 3 has 100ms input lag, lowest possible lag with a 30fps game). There is a threshold in which the delay becomes noticeable, and it's somewhere between 5 and 6 frames for most people, and obviously, having more than a 5 frame delay with the addition of your screen/tv lag, things start to become clunky pretty fast. Doesn't really matter that much for shooters and such since the precision in there is not as strict, but 7 frames is for me unacceptable in a fighter. The input buffer compensates for it, but it's still too high.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Are you referring to LCD TVs? Plasma? OLED? What about a CRT that displays images at the speed of light with a true 0ms response time? Are we factoring any kind of image processing on the newer TVs, or is this an unprocessed image like an old TV or computer monitor?

If you're saying that it's a hardware limitation of the gaming console itself and not the TV or monitor, then which console are you talking about? 360? PS3? Do other Consoles show evidence of faster response time? We've already seen claims that PS3 has longer response time than 360. What about computers and not consoles?

I don't want to call out your tech-talk as BS, but as a big tech person myself (particularly where video output is involved), I don't want anyone to be misinformed of what's really going on with the input lag.

Chaos

So PS3 as the lead platform is nothing but bullshit, at least for this game. Well, the differences are quite small, but they're still there and favor the X360 on every aspect.
TN probably lied saying that they worked on the PS3 first so that PS3 owners don't need to worry about having a fucked up version of DOA5. None of this stupid shit would of happen if Sony was smart enough to make a powerful/better chip when they was making the it before the flawed console was going to be in stores but NOOOOO! they want the PS3 to be built "different" than the X360 & PC but hey, thats Sony being retarded for yall. ;) :mad:

DigitalNinjaLee

That's unfortunate that the versions are not the same. I personally picked it up for the 360, but I was tempted to get it for the PS3 for the better D-pad. From what I have heard, the online players / communities of the 360 and PS3 are different as well. Now what would be awesome is they could just do some cross-platforming so everyone could play with each other! Too bad that's never gonna happen though...ever

TheTHCGamer

That's unfortunate that the versions are not the same. I personally picked it up for the 360, but I was tempted to get it for the PS3 for the better D-pad. From what I have heard, the online players / communities of the 360 and PS3 are different as well. Now what would be awesome is they could just do some cross-platforming so everyone could play with each other! Too bad that's never gonna happen though...ever
Nope imagine the backlash that would come from that LIVE players have to pay to play online. I really do enjoy LIVE but i feel like its overpriced for what your getting because a good majority of the stuff on LIVE is just ads for microsoft. I wish microsoft would just let people play online without all of LIVE's features for free. Id probably still pay but its always nice to have options.

Blazeincarnated

Nope imagine the backlash that would come from that LIVE players have to pay to play online. I really do enjoy LIVE but i feel like its overpriced for what your getting because a good majority of the stuff on LIVE is just ads for microsoft. I wish microsoft would just let people play online without all of LIVE's features for free. Id probably still pay but its always nice to have options.
I would LOVE for Live to be free. Its a gamers dream. BUT you get what you pay for. You want quality? You have to pay for it...Just imagine if it WAS free.... It will lag just as much as the PS3 ;)

NightAntilli

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Are you referring to LCD TVs? Plasma? OLED? What about a CRT that displays images at the speed of light with a true 0ms response time? Are we factoring any kind of image processing on the newer TVs, or is this an unprocessed image like an old TV or computer monitor?

If you're saying that it's a hardware limitation of the gaming console itself and not the TV or monitor, then which console are you talking about? 360? PS3? Do other Consoles show evidence of faster response time? We've already seen claims that PS3 has longer response time than 360. What about computers and not consoles?

I don't want to call out your tech-talk as BS, but as a big tech person myself (particularly where video output is involved), I don't want anyone to be misinformed of what's really going on with the input lag.
For a big tech person you sure sound clueless. Let me explain shortly, and I'll provide you some links at the end of this post in case you want to delve more deeply into it.

What I'm talking about is how games are rendered. It has little to do with the delay on your TV, although that just adds to it and makes the delay worse. Rendering games is not exactly the same as a simple video output. When you press a button, the signal needs to be read, then translated into what that button is supposed to do (game logic), and after that it needs to be translated into an image code that's sent to the GPU and then the image needs to be rendered by the GPU to be sent to your tv.
In theory, the fastest output is the 3rd frame. With a PC (and even the consoles), you could theoretically reach this provided the CPU is powerful enough or the game logic is really simple to be computed in only one frame (16.7ms). I wouldn't be surprised if the menus on both the X360 and PS3 had a 3 frame input lag, because up and down, left and right are very simply things to calculate. But as soon as your game logic is more advanced than say a color change on screen, you need more than one frame to calculate everything.

Basically, on the frame that you input something, nothing happens because that frame has already been rendered. You can call it the zeroth frame if you wish. During the 1st frame, basically every calculation up to and including the image code needs to happen if you want the fastest 3 frame output. During the 2nd frame the GPU will render it, and on the 3rd frame it will be shown on your screen, provided everything went smoothly. Now because game logic and the translation into image code is fairly complicated in practice, it takes at least two frames for games to calculate everything before it's sent to the GPU to be rendered, thus having an input delay of 4 frames in practice. And if it's not because of the game logic, it can be because of the V-sync method used and so on.. And this is all without the input lag of your TV.

So basically, input lag is caused by the complexity of the game logic. But, it can also be caused by bad programming. Unnecessary loops and so on give the CPU more work than needed and can increase the input lag for no reason.
And on another note, screen tearing is caused when the GPU can not render the full scene in under 16.7ms (in the case of a 60fps game) and only part of the full image is sent to the frame buffer.

Anyway.. If you want to know more.. Here you go:
Programming responsiveness, basically a more detailed explanation of what I just told you.

Measuring responsiveness in video games, how input lag is measured. This is the same method used in the video provided in the opening post.

Console Gaming: The Lag Factor, basically same as the measuring responsiveness article above, except it's a bit more friendly since it has videos and such.

Edit: As for the PS3 usually having more input lag, I assume it has to do with the split memory, in which in additional frame is needed to coordinate the two. The X360 doesn't have this problem since it's basically one big chunk.

TheTHCGamer

I would LOVE for Live to be free. Its a gamers dream. BUT you get what you pay for. You want quality? You have to pay for it...Just imagine if it WAS free.... It will lag just as much as the PS3 ;)
Yea i dont think thats how it works lol. What you paying for is all the benefits you get with LIVE like last FM and faster downloading times. Fighting games are usually peer to peer meaning it all depends on you and your opponents connection. People automatically make the assumption that since there paying for LIVE that there automatically going to have a better online experience.

The problem with PS3 is to many players play with a poor wireless connection which makes it seem like LIVE gives you a better overall online experience. If you have slow internet speeds especially with a wireless connection LIVE isnt going to save you from having a mediocre online experience. Thats why you still get lag at times even when you playing on the 360 because there isnt any dedicated servers for playing games.

Fanboys will say other wise though:rolleyes:

Blazeincarnated

Yea i dont think thats how it works lol. What you paying for is all the benefits you get with LIVE like last FM and faster downloading times. Fighting games are usually peer to peer meaning it all depends on you and your opponents connection. People automatically make the assumption that since there paying for LIVE that there automatically going to have a better online experience.

The problem with PS3 is to many players play with a poor wireless connection which makes it seem like LIVE gives you a better overall online experience. If you have slow internet speeds especially with a wireless connection LIVE isnt going to save you from having a mediocre online experience. Thats why you still get lag at times even when you playing on the 360 because there isnt any dedicated servers for playing games.

Fanboys will say other wise though:rolleyes:
Bill Gates shits on Sony.

Chaos

It doesnt matter to me im still enjoying the PS3 version and the console fanboys can bash the PS3 version all they want its not going to stop me from playing.
Thats how I feel, I don't care if all of these bitch ass hating fanboys bashing the PS3. They can say PS3 sucks all day they want but that won't stop people from loving it
& purchase one especially Japan.

franman

If PS360's vids portray very accurate frame data then not every game on the Xbox 360 responds faster than PS3's. Sure there are some games responding on the Xbox 360 better than PS3's but for games like Tekken 6 and Resident Evil 6 the input lag is smaller on the PS3 than on the Xbox 360.

I guess I learn from that site that certain games run better (in terms of responsiveness) on either platform.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD