Ryu Hayabusa: The Thinking Man's Super Ninja

MajesticBlue

A topic for questions and anything else to do with Ryu gameplay. We can mourn our old friends 8K and 10 frame jab, while saying hi to our new bffs 3F+K and QcbP. He has changed a lot I feel. Let us frame trap everybody till we win! Yes, Tc is a follower.....all the cool kids are making character threads.:rolleyes:
**Update**
Super Ninja eh? Playing Ryu Hayabusa

Doa 5 has reimagined everybody's favorite super ninja into a pseudo grappler this go- round. He isn't a grappler. He isn't very fast. What does that leave us with? Ryu has the tools to limit the options of the opponent. He has the answer if you are willing to commit to it. High risk, MEDIUM reward. A character for the superior tactician. Do you enjoy beating your opponent with matchup knowledge and good reads? If you are not afraid to back off and play smart, Ryu Hayabusa may be a safe bet.

Moves

PP2K4_PP6P4. Use these to get into Ongyoin for mixups. PP6P4 leaves you at neutral. PP2K4 is at a disadvantage unless you are in the water or snow. You got to have pretty good insight to know what follow up works best.

6P(K). His fastest mid. Use it to try and score a counter hit after you block something. The second P is too slow to really be any good. The K at the end makes the move safe on block, it is a high though. You can hit confirm the move. Also have the option to go into Ongyoin. You will be at a large disadvantage but the move is throw safe due to pushback. If you go for his parry you can be hi counter thrown though.

2P. Fastest low. Use it to try and tap out of stuff if you need some space. Resets the situation to neutral.

3PPP. If the second hit connects the third is guaranteed. Gives a great stun on counter hit. It wall splats. You can even use it as a wall combo. Very delayable, 3PPP wall splat into air grab is always fun. First hit is safe and goes under highs. The third hit is throw punishable.

2K.Instant high crush. You can use this for handstand mixups if you get the counter hit. If it hits on normal hit your best bet is to back off.

7K. A pretty fast mid kick. Good players will throw you if they block it. Throw safe at max range. Another tool he has to use because he has no other options. Beats out string delay or mixups.

3KK. Good range. Can be made safe via string or range. Just an option. The low is pretty bad.

666P. Mid punch move that is safe, knocks down and wall splats. If you get the knock down you can try and go into Ongyoin for follow up options

4PK_4P2P. Gives you a large guard break. Nothing is guaranteed off of it so just treat it as frame advantage. If they start to mash you out of the kick use 4P2P. You also have the jab string versions of these moves.

3F+K. A guard break tracking kick. Leaves him at small advantage. If you know your matchup you can read your best follow up option. When in doubt you can try and follow it with 3P, 6P or jab string mixups.

6KP. Another large guard break. Useful at the wall. Smart players will stop the move so don't rely on it. Can be free stepped for free back throw.

66K. The move is good, If you can get them to block it. I find it to be a very high mid without much priority though. Even though the move is a guard break you are going to play a total guessing game. Still, this might be his best move. Use matchup knowledge for your best Ongyoin follow up.

4P+K. Frame advantage on block and still evasive. If you get the guard break you can set them up for a 3 hit CB! via 3PP P+K.

33P4_33P2K . You can use this to get in and close the gap. Pretty quick. Mix up the kick and the Ongyoin cancel to create hesitation. If you get a counter hit it even launches for a nice juggle.

3P+K(K). Mid punch launcher. A high crush. Has a mid kick follow up that can make it a little safer. If used correctly you won't need the kick. Use it when you know they will go high or after a stun.

4K. launcher on counter hit. Sets you up for a "Will he attack? Will he parry? Not realy in his favor but if you feel lucky go for it. The kick is also a high crush. Good damage as a launcher. Throw safe from pushback.

8K. Not as good as it was but still useful. Launcher on normal hit. Nets you a free air grab or juggle.

6K. You can use this after you get a stun as a mid kick launcher. Just follow it up with the air grab for easy damage.

2F+K. Low sweep kick. Gets under stuff, a good mixup tool. Use it if you see they are weak in the knees. Can follow up with handstand depending on the hit type. Good range and great for annoying

1P(K). A low poke that crushes highs and has a sweep follow up. On normal hit it isn't that good unless you play mind games with the second part. Can be used to setup his OH.

9K. Goes over low moves if you use it at the right time. This tool is risky. Still a great option if you feel a low coming. Has handstand follow ups. Also good for setting up an Izuna.

QcfP+KPP478963214T. Shoho Izuna. Does great damage. Goes under all highs and some mids. Great on ceiling stages. You can just spin the stick and time the throw for the last part.

QcbP. The only reason I can see using this move is when you know you are being baited for 3F+K or 66K. Be very careful with it. You can freestep it. If you manage to get it off without being held or stepped, you are left in a pretty good position. On block get ready to 50-50 a little in your favor. On hit you get a free launcher like 3P+K or 33P etc.

7P_9P. 7P automatically puts you into Ongyoin. You can use it if you have the range to do so. 9P is a jump over move. It's main use was beating wakeup kicks. I don't think the move is as good as it used to be but it can be made to work. The timing is harder.

Handstand (WS 4KK_P WS 4T). He still has his handstand follow ups on some of his moves. Now that 2K no longer trips on ice their use is diminished. Still, you can set them up if you want to go for them. WS 4T is still an OH. 2K on counter hit can be useful.

Critical burst (P+K). Only use this when you have them setup for a CB! It is pretty slow. Not very useful for Ryu. At least he has the option I guess.

Power blow (1P+K). Free off of the first part of the Izuna on stages with ceilings.

Ongyoin.

F. A teleport parry that stops all high and mid attacks. You can be high counter thrown out of it. Just an option to throw out and mixup with. Never leaves you with any real advantage.

66_22_44_88. Ultra slow teleport. Good players will kill you for it if you use dumb follow ups. Once again, just another option.

PPP. 12 frames First 2 hits are safe. Last hit is +5 or charge up for a guard break. The second hit can also cause an unholdable limbo stun at random on counter hit.

K. Mid kick launcher knee. Slow but it has its uses. Can also reset for juggles. Unsafe on block.

P+KPPK_478963214T. Shoho Izuna. Does great damage. Goes under all highs and some mids. Great on ceiling stages. You can just spin the stick and time the throw for the last part. Same as QcfP+K

2P+K. Same as 3P+K.

6P4. A long range dash elbow. +1 block. Not really an amazing move but it covers a quite a distance. You can create fake pressure with this move by going into random things out of it or using it like a get in dash.

8P_8K. Evasive teleport attacks. Can be beat with a freestep. Both are safe though. Not the best idea but it is an option. Another iffy tactic.

6P+K_6K. The old torpedo moves. Still unsafe up close. 6P+K is really fast and you can use it when people are beating you out of Ongyoin. More mixup options. The kick version is can be made safe via range.

SS (Side step)

P. Gives a nice stun on counter hit. Unsafe on block.

K. Slower but launches. -1 on block. All hits give you a free air grab.

Throws

T. 4 frame breakable throw. Unbreakable on high counter.

6T. 6 frame throw. Use this to punish moves that are -7 or more and leave them in standing. You could also use 4T if you want.

2T_1T. A 5 and 6 frame low throw. 2T does a little less damage. Use 1T to punish low holds. You should also use them when you block unsafe lows. 1T is only 1 frame slower so it should be pretty safe to use that.

66T. 6 frame throw. Use this to switch sides and position yourself. If you are on the ball you can even punish with it and get your back off the wall.

WS4T. An OH. Good to throw out if you set it up. Use it after counter hit moves that leave you crouching.

41236T 23698T 4789632 T (Izuna). 12 frame throw, his signature move. Does great damage. Sadly there is not too much environmental damage to abuse anymore. It does give you free follow ups in stages with ceilings though. The easiest way to get the throw out is do the first part, spin the stick and press throw when combo throw pops up.

QcfT (When in air state) This is a new air grab he has. A juggle ender for the most part. Used in most of his juggles so better get used to it.

Ongyoin throws

8T. A teleport throw. Can be freesteped. Pretty risky. Still, sometimes the move comes in handy.

T 41236T 478963214T. New throw with great damage. Needs to be baited for or setup. The input is pretty strict so be sure to practice it

Izuna holds.

If you are going to main Ryu you HAVE to be able to do them. Ryu needs to scare all your punch tools out of you! Make them think twice about going for their good punch moves. If you are good enough with this you can limit their move set and stand a chance. This one thing alone gives Ryu a shot. Might be his best tool. You can do them the same as the regular Izuna. Spin the stick and time the button press.

Get ready. Fight!

Round one

His options here are pretty limited. You can use the fear of Izuna holds to limit their options. You need pretty good matchup knowledge to win here. 3P+K can crush highs. 9k hops over some lows. 6P is your fastest mid. 33P can be pretty good as well depending on the range. The goal here is to bait them into doing a jab so you can Izuna hold it. Very few people will start a round off with throws. Depending on the matchup, if you use you fastest mid they will have to do something that beats it or hold. This is why matchup information is crucial.

Under pressure. (Up close and personal).

This is what you want to avoid with Ryu. He has options but most of them are pretty risky. Your best bet is to have solid defense and make them go for something unsafe. If you get some frame advantage from blocking you can go for 6P(K), 3P, 1P(K) or jabs. His quickest options should net you a counter hit if they do something dumb. If you know what they will do, try your best to use his crush moves. 7K is important for breaking out of tap games as well. The move is throw punishable though. Creating space and having room is something that takes lots of practice. Small stages can be problematic as well.

Space trucking. (The range game.)

Even though he still only has a few options here, he does way better. 3F+K can create lots of pressure. Even if they hold it you will need to throw it out, and it will need to be respected. Ongyoin can create some interesting shenanigans. 6P+K4 into whatever. Ongyoin 6P covers some crazy ground and is safe. Ongyoin 6K can be made safe. If this kind of stuff is getting you killed stop doing it. Stick with 3F+K and 33P4.

Dazed and confused. (What are my stuns?)

3P on counter hit is really good. Safe mid punch that gets under highs just kinda slow. At first I thought it was just a great stun till I had an idea. You can play a pretty screwed up guessing game on counter hit with this move.

CH 3P 3P_6K air grab_Izuna. You can't SE the ch 3P stun in time to avoid 3p or 6K. (You can even mix in high moves like 4K or 8K if you wish.) By using the same stun twice he gains a 15 frame mid punch launcher!

This gave me another idea. Let’s break down 6P.

Guessing game on counter hit 6P 4K_6K_8K_3P+K_Izuna
all options should beat SE.

I found a setup for CB that can't be Stagger escaped.
Ch6P 3PP P+K. Not worth it most of the time but it is an option.

Bricks in the wall game.

The plan here is simple, get them to the wall and keep them there so you can splat them for free damage. Getting them to the wall is something you do with good spacing. Once you get them there the plan is to trap them at the wall so they respect you options. PP4PK, 4PK and 6KP are all great options. If you do a Mid move after any of those you will beat out any attack they doing giving you your wall splat.

If you do the trap right they should be with their back to the wall at massive disadvantage. Your options, reset the trap or go for the splat.

You can reset the trap with something like 4PK or 6KP. Both are pretty slow. Good players will beat you out of lots of this on reaction so be ready.

Now multiple splat options.

3PPP. A very good option. First hit goes under highs and the second an third are ultra delayable. First hit is safe as well. If you can get the second hit to connect the third is free if you don't delay. If they block all 3 they get a free throw. I prefer this option.

PP4P6P_PP4PP_PPK_*PP4PK*

You can use all of these if you know what they will do. You can also see how to pressure them into eating a reset. Since he has some really good options out of his jab strings. These mixed up can be pretty hard to deal with.

PP6P4. First off, more of a parlour trick option, 3 high that are neutral on block. You can use any Ongyoin setup you can imagine here. Go for an 8P or 8K if you want. If the last hit wall splats you can get Ongyoin PPP.

666P. A really safe mid punch option, not much to say. Gets the job done.

3K(K). An unsafe mid kick option. Use it if you feel you need to. Just an option

After you get your wall splat you have a few options. If you are fast enough most of the time you can get an air grab. If you want something more consistent go For PP4PK. If you get a really low wall splat or lag try 3PPP.

The roof is on fire. (Taking advantage of ceilings)

This is where you want to be with Ryu when you can. It opens up a whole new layer to his gameplay. Let's Izuna (41236T) our way to victory.

When you get the Izuna with your opponents back to the wall you should go for things in this order. Powerblow_Shoho Izuna_QcfP PP4P air grab.

Out in the open he has some more options. Since QcbP sitsdown and gives you a free follow up.

Light 41236T QcbP 3P+K P+KP(P) Full charge.

Medium 41236T 33P4 K 8P air grab

Heavy (Bass) (Bayman) (Akira)

Here is where things get cool. If you score a high counter Izuna you get a free CB! combo!

41236T QcbP P+K(CB!) At this point you can do whatever you want. If you can powerblow I would go for that. If not Shoho Izuna is always awesome.

Keep in mind that there is an invisible half wall under the stairs in Temple of the Dragon. If you are lucky you can hit the above combo on all the weight classes. Who knows what kind of shenanigans you can create there.

Slippery when wet. (Playing in the water)

Ok, for the most part Ryu is very bad in the water. Most of his lows just give worthless stuns. PP2K4 can give you a free mixup if you want to go for it. He is left with decent advantage. If you net a low keep attacking but otherwise watch out. Stay out of water the best you can and be carefull on ice. Fast lows will eat him alive.

Juggles on counter hit.

Light/Mid/Heavy

Light and Mid/Heavy

3P+K. PP4P air grab/ P+KPP.

33P4. K 8P air grab/ K air grab

8K. PP4P air grab/ 8P air grab/air grab

4K. K 8P air grab/ K air grab

QcfP. PP4P air grab/ 8P air grab

6K. air grab

8P. air grab

Ongyoin K. 8P air grab/ air grab

**The guide will be updated in the near future. Just want to get it out there to help out. Over time I will make changes and go a little more in depth then the Ign version. I have things to say that are really not appropriate for a wiki hahahah.**

Brute

Standard Donor
I was wondering if anyone who's played the most recent builds can tell what changes have been made since the Alpha build. That way I won't get stuck relying on tactics that may not work in the final build. =P

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I was going to make a more comprehensive thread, but I guess I can just contribute here. If I may, though, I recommend changing the title to "Hayabusa: The Thinking Man's Super Ninja." I need a mod up in here to take care of this. Where's my phone?

Anyway, he has changed dramatically. He is no longer a striker, though I don't necessarily consider him a grappler either. He's more of a long ranger sniper with extremely high damage potential off of a quick attack that begins at range. His principle methods of getting in are 66k from Ongyoin (safe at more than a quarter screen), 33p, 3h+k (guard breaks), and his various teleports from Ongyoin. Once he opens someone up and scores a knockdown, he should dance back out of range of wake up kicks and continue.

If he does get stuck in a close-range battle, he still has great options and is still very good at keeping up pressure thanks to his new emphasis on guard breaks. He can end a couple different strings with his 3h+k (though the input is different obviously, with 4pk and pp4pk being the strings I mean), his 4p+k still has guard break, and 6kp also does. Keep in mind that variation is important up close because most of his guard breaks are incredibly slow.

That's all for now since I want to get out of the office haha.

MajesticBlue

It's Fine Dude. Just have a mod delete this then you can make your own. I will do my best to contribute though. I will be busy for a few hours so I can't make any changes yet. I have plans to post as much data and ideas as possible for all my mains when the game comes out :p. So yeah, Just make yours and I will help out when I can.

I got tired of derailing everybody else threads. Hahah.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
One thread is plenty. I just meant my original post would have more in it. I'll have the title changed and you can just edit your OP to include extra stuff, including quoting me if you want. It's all good! Hayabusa fans are always alright with me.

That man Allan Paris hooking up the Busa thread with an appropriate title!

MajesticBlue

Yeah, I have been a Ryu main for a while(2U). My avatar lies! Kinda going through a "Not sure how I wanna play/ who will I play with/ need to improve" phase. Doing the same for Tekken Tag, trying to find a partner for Lars. Since you know the mods feel free to edit the op whenever. Just want to see Ryu get represented. (A lot of the community hates him. @_@) Great title for the thread btw. It fits perfectly.

Was testing the waters for the thread when I brought it up earlier. Had a feeling you would make one, maybe next time I should have some patience. (Your name carries just a little more clout then mine as well.) I feel kinda dumb since at Hin I should have been testing stuff. Instead I was too busy taking it all in and trying to win.(The kind of lesson I guess you learn after your first event. lol) So chances are I will have to wait until the game is out to be more helpfull.

With all of that out of the way we can get to the good stuff!

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
You can actually edit your OP. If you want to quote my stuff, that's totally fine since it's the only actual gameplay related content in the thread so far lol.

Brute

Standard Donor
I find it funny how loyal people are to "maining" certain characters already. I always wait until the game is released and I get a feel for the whole roster before I decide who I want to focus on primarily.

That said, since many function similar to how they have in previous installments, I can see why people anticipate certain ones. AS such, I'll probably be using Ryu, as I love his visual style and I'm used to a lot of his moves.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I've always used Hayabusa as my main and I used him at the tournament last weekend. Aside from Master I probably have the most DoA5 Hayabusa experience, so I feel like I have a pretty solid grasp of why I'm using him still. Hayabusa is quite a bit different than he ever was, though.

Brute

Standard Donor
I've always used Hayabusa as my main and I used him at the tournament last weekend. Aside from Master I probably have the most DoA5 Hayabusa experience, so I feel like I have a pretty solid grasp of why I'm using him still. Hayabusa is quite a bit different than he ever was, though.
It's different when you have significant experience with the actual game. Since you've actually been playing builds of DOA5, I feel you have a pretty good handle on that. My comment was more directed at fans who simply watch and comment the big-time tournament players like yourself.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Eh with fighting games that's going to happen. A lot of people are drawn to a character on an aesthetic level and that's all there is to it. I typically pick my main character after watching enough vids of a game, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't sometimes just pick the one that looks coolest to me. For a game somebody isn't going to take seriously, I don't see the harm in it. For someone that intends to travel to tournaments, though, there may be more than a few issues. People thinking of maining Hayabusa right now based on how he was in previous games (and even the Alpha build) are in for quite the surprise.

Brute

Standard Donor
People thinking of maining Hayabusa right now based on how he was in previous games (and even the Alpha build) are in for quite the surprise.
Yeah, that's why I've been curious for some direct comparisons with that. Even in the Alpha Build he seemed to excel mostly in keep-away, and I found the back-mid P, K to be a great mid-range tactic (floors them quickly, enabling you to skirt back with a flip and re-initiate long-range tactics). But, some players with a lot more experience with the newer builds (like yourself) claim that much has changed. I'm really curious to see how that all plays out when the final game is released.

And yeah, I don't see "harm" in it either, I just find it a bit odd/amusing.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Well a fun tactic that wasn't possible in the Alpha is using 66k (NOT in Ongyoin) for the guard break into Ongyoin, then grab when they throw out a hold to get out of guard break stun. That throw is a new combo throw with the same animation as his advanced mid-kick hold from the Alpha that he no longer has. The notation is grab from Ongyoin, half-circle forward grab, then 360 grab, and the timing is very strict. You can't just spin the stick or pad to get it.

Brute

Standard Donor
Well a fun tactic that wasn't possible in the Alpha is using 66k (NOT in Ongyoin) for the guard break into Ongyoin, then grab when they throw out a hold to get out of guard break stun. That throw is a new combo throw with the same animation as his advanced mid-kick hold from the Alpha that he no longer has. The notation is grab from Ongyoin, half-circle forward grab, then 360 grab, and the timing is very strict. You can't just spin the stick or pad to get it.
Interesting. Thanks for the tip!

In regards to the last segment, I've always been curious how those worked. For example, the Shoho Izuna seems to have one of the most liberal joystick rolls I've seen in a fighting game. But other ones, such as the mid-air grab when your opponent is launched (sorry, it's new to DOA5 so I don't have the name of the move) seems like the command input must be far more precise.

Is that paranoia on my part, or is it intentional?

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
The inputs themselves are a bit more precise than before, yes, but not drastically so. The timing on the air grab is a bit misleading as your speed isn't as important as where the opponent is in the air. A simple launch off of a counter hit knee from Ongyoin is plenty of height to get the air grab off, for example, but if you end up stepping forward a bit onto uneven ground that puts you at a higher elevation you'll likely miss with normal timing.

I think most of it is that you need to be a bit faster and more precise than before, which feels weird to people at first. Shoho Izuna timing is basically the same but simply spinning the stick like some people did in 4 or D will often result in missing the window. I never did that for any grabs so to me it feels mostly the same.

Brute

Standard Donor
Yeah, I've still only been able to pull off that air grab 3 times, and I've practiced a lot. xD
I think part of the reason the Shoho is easier than others is that the aerial punches that lead into the throw input keep you locked in the air, so you don't have to worry about jumping/ducking or inputting some other command prematurely. Aesthetically, I love the move, as it's the closest to most weapons' Izuna drops from Ninja Gaiden (same applies to certain kick techniques shared between games and the guillotine throw).

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Honestly I'd stop playing the Alpha now. The more time you put into it the more confused Hayabusa will make you in the final game. Probably safe to play Hitomi and maybe Ayane in it, but Hayabusa has seen massive tweaks and changes to his moveslist. Hayate also is a bit different but still is dumb enough to walk under the opponent during his own juggles. He's special.

Brute

Standard Donor
Bummer. It's a lot of fun, but I suppose it's only one month until the full game is released, anyway.
As much as I'd love to get in more practice time with Ayane, I have the misfortune of having only the Hayabusa/Hitomi version, so I guess that means it's time to abandon the demo.

BTW: Thanks for all the info. It's all very clear, and it's obvious you know Ryu's DOA5 iteration very well.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Yeah no problem. Feel free to ask anything you can think of. That is the point of this thread, after all. And I've only scratched the surface of this guy in DoA5. Wait til I have my own copy and Rikuto and I start beating on each other. You'll see shit out of both our characters that'll blow your mind.

As for the Alpha, by all means keep playing if you think it won't throw you off when you get your hands on the full game. It is a lot of fun. But muscle memory is really dangerous in fighters and having to adjust to the system changes like four point holds, certain moves disappearing or changing notation, and new moves appearing might cause you to have an unnecessarily long adjustment period.

Brute

Standard Donor
As for the Alpha, by all means keep playing if you think it won't throw you off when you get your hands on the full game. It is a lot of fun. But muscle memory is really dangerous in fighters and having to adjust to the system changes like four point holds, certain moves disappearing or changing notation, and new moves appearing might cause you to have an unnecessarily long adjustment period.
Indeed. Even when I went back to DOA4 I was shocked how the simple change in certain commands totally threw me off (Ongyoin, Shoho and charge attack, in particular). Playing with a character you're comfortable with really does bypass the part of your brain that says (do this) and goes straight to reflex. It really helps keep a fast, pressured and tactful game, but once those inputs and effects get changed, you're arguably left at a disadvantage from even the newbies.

One other question I had (a general question that also applies to Ryu) regards certain "off-theground" moves, such as Hayabusa's 9K. Can these be hit by low or mid attacks (iirc, they evade low, but are struck by mid)? Normally they seem immune to low attacks, but sometimes when I try to use that to evade a low-kick get-up attack from a grounded opponent, I'm snagged. Is my timing off, or are there certain attacks that will still pull him out of that move, even when in the air (Kasumi's 9P is similar)?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD