Seth Killian leaves Capcom. Is that good for us¿

TRI Mike

Capcom's community manager is leaving the company without giving any detailed reason from what I've been reading. According to the kids maining Wesker and Wolverine in UMvC3, or "FGC" as Erik and Bryan like to call them, he was part of the reason for the development of SF4 and the success of every Capcom fighting game this generation, usually keeping in touch with the fans and giving advice to the developers so the games could come out good.

Now that he'll be gone, do you guys think this will be an opportunity for other games such as DOA, VF or even KOF to rise to popularity¿ Capcom fans are saying that the community won't be the same without him because the guy was really vital in the communication between the fans and the company itself, so it could mean that they could turn their eyes to our games now.

What's your opinion on this¿

d3v

Seth working in Capcom showed how important it is to have a community manager who was from the community themself. While it was a bumpy ride, his involvement helped the community get its voice heard. The combination was enough that even Namco followed suit and hired Rich "FilthieRich" Bantegui as their community manager to basically be their version of Seth. Meanwhile, Capcom Europe also got their own version with David "Dawgtanian" Hinds. If Tecmo-Koei wants to capitalize on this for DOA, then they need to do the same and find someone from the community to be their community manager for the game (just as long as it isn't someone who's name starts with M).

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Really? I think Matt would do a fine job. If only TK felt the same way. =P

Best of luck to Seth though. I wonder what came up that made him leave. I couldn't imagine. Maybe he got pushed out after all the negative backlash from SFxT?

Berzerk!

I got the impression he is leaving in pursuit of another job offer, perhaps not even in the games industry at all.

I highly doubt he was pushed in any regard.

By the way, Inspchin from TK UK is an excellent community manager. Active, attentive, responsive.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Nobody wants to get crucified for someone else's bad decisions. It takes a true believer to withstand that kind of heat for long, and true believers are not very popular as community managers.

This was pretty much unavoidable.

TRI Mike

Yeah, Chin is an excellent community manager. I've always got fast and friendly answers from him whenever I need something.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Chin is awesome! And works hard for the Euro scene. From what I hear, some big stuff is gonna happen along the next 2 months ;)

xD3VILMANx

I thought Seth leaving was a bit sad. I wonder if any of it had to do with the way Capcom has been operating lately and the way Ono is being treated. Like others have stated, I think it would be a great idea if TK hired someone from the community.

Arnell Long

Seth Killian was that one guy we could trust to make our fighting game right. It blows donkey nuts that he got blamed for the travesty that is SFxTK which I'll be taking to Gamestop soon. Here's hoping he emerges with another fighting game Company or perhaps his own; either way, good luck to all his future choices.

Capcom better not shit on Darkstalkers...I now fear for that project...

Arnell Long

Was SFxT really that bad? lol

Oh gawd yes it certainly was a merit of all things horrible. Kinda reminds me of that other major flop..."Fighting Jam Evolution". Great idea, absolutely horrific execution. Never have I seen a so called "ambitous" title with some many game/character freezing bugs.

People made youtube accounts just to showoff their newly found glitches.

It's not NG3 bad, but it's Devil May Cry 2 bad.

d3v

Oh please. Capcom games have had similar amounts of bugs before (Gambit in MvC2, Ken on Makoto neutral throw bug in 3S). The only real issue with SFxT is the gems. Take that out and it's pretty solid gameplay wise and fixes alot of issues with SFIV (you can actually do blockstrings without the fear of eating a mashed shoryu for one). Infinites? fuck the scrubs, we built competitive metagames around infinites and other abusive shit in other games (Alpha 3, CvS2, MvC2). And there's also the fact that it has the best damn netcode of any disc released fighter thanks to using GGPO style rollbacks. The only thing better is the actual GGPO netcode used in 3rd Strike Online and SkullGirls.

Arnell Long

This isn't PS2/Xbox days anymore, we're in the PS3/360 era where Capcom fighting games wasn't buggy til SFxTK aka "their self proclaimed most ambitious title" hit. I had fun beating Sabin, Air, Alex Valle, Spooky, and whatnot cause the game could be fun at times...but I couldn't get over the fact that these bugs "NOT THE GEM SYSTEM" hinder me from trying to go out my way to Tournaments and what have you. Here are a "few" glitches from before and after the patch and mind you, once they patch SFxTK again, there "will" be some more glitches found...

With technology this day and age, Capcom should of had this right, of course we're human and can't fix everything at "one time", but seeing as big this project is or was suppose to be, it has more "continuing" glitches than both MvC2/SF3 combined. Hell, even the badass Skullgirls beat this out "respect to them guys". I "thought" them using a modified SFIV engine aka "familiar foundation" would help the game become what it "should" have become. Guess that's why most people left SFxTK and went back full time to UMvC3 and SSFIV AE.

Sorry for going off Topic my fellow peeps here, but since this is Cpacom we're talking about here, I hope I can just get a slap on the wrist.

Arnell Long

FreeStepDodge only allow 5 sets of media per post so her are my last couple and I'll be done...

Seth, no matter what happened or happens to SFxTK, the respect I have for you is staggering. Good luck to you man.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
SFxT is hardly the buggiest fighter ever. I actually enjoy the core game and think it's a really solid fighter. The only problem is Capcom's stubborn persistence with gems and the negativity brought about by the disc-locked characters. It's mostly perception and bandwaggoning that's dogging SFxT.

As for the topic at hand, Seth is largely responsible for the huge community focus Capcom has had in recent years. He's always been a big part of the FGC (which has nothing to do with people maining Wesker, Wolverine, or any other elitist bullshit that you want to insinuate) and will likely still be around. I look forward to meeting him at Evo should he attend. Him leaving Capcom won't be a huge deal for the Capcom games, due in large part to the community structure he helped to build/reinforce. I'm not so sure we need a community manager for DoA, but as long as it's not Master, which a certain someone in this thread already alluded to, I'm good.

Matt would be excellent, but really anyone who's always put a larger focus on community than on themselves would be perfect. Again, though, I don't think the DoA franchise needs one unless it blows up after DoA5 drops. Team NINJA has been doing a fine job on community outreach all on their own.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
To be fair, I have no idea who that person is or what they've done beyond posting some things on Facebook. I thought we were referring to a situation where a highly visible member of the DoA community would be brought on, similar to Seth or Rich.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
DoA needs a community manager?

Elect Rikuto so he can get payed to rule the internet with an iron fist.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD