Soapbox: Community Activism and the DOA Narrative

Xhominid The Demon Within

I honestly have to completely agree with this whole write-up.
Looking through these forums as long as I have(which is about 2 years now give or take), you think most of the people here HATE the game. I get this exact vibe from the GameFAQs board as well where instead of people talking strategy, posting streams or tournies to look out for or anything productive, it's mainly bitching and moaning about how TN is going this route or "It's hard to take seriously because DLC and breasts!"

I'll be perfectly frank: I have no job, I'm literally taking something that is going to help me search for jobs at the end of the month and I have been jobless for YEARS and I not only bought DOA5 CE AND DOA5U AND had a Gold sub while jobless, I even bought a fucking PS3(used though) AND DOA5LR JUST SO I CAN PLAY AND SUPPORT THE GAME I LOVE!

Hell, I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get out of my introverted bubble and attend tournies outside of Vegas when I do get a job and is able to make trips. I do my damnest to show my friends what DOA is about and if it wasn't for them being huge FG fans(SF and MK in particular), I most likely can succeed in getting them into this game.

If you want me to be frank, all this whining about DLC, Breasts, Online HAS GOT TO STOP! The Tekken community doesn't look all that good when they bitched about Lucky Chloe(seriously, how do you honestly think they look getting so mad and actually believing Harada would erase her and replace her with a musclebound dude and NOT look like morons?)? Or how about Street Fighter and Decapre(Hell, look how it died down after all that nonsense, it's like they knew it amounted to nothing)? No community looks good when they whine about trivial shit, so let's actually focus on our game, for good and for ill and make it better.
Let this be a community I can actually support rather than still hide away from the damn chat/forum.

Glitterati

I'm honestly done with this game, because It got boring the community has gotten worse. Maybe I'd pick it up if doa6 is better. But atm I'm just tired of this game and it's community. Peace.

b-bombs

Standard Donor
@Glitterati, I understand that you have a life outside this game. That's a very good thing, keep on with that. I am not asking anyone to go out of the way to spend more time playing or organizing than they wish to. I'm simply asking that when we do choose to interact with the game, the DOA community, or the FGC at large we do so with a more positive and inclusive attitude (including the conversation in this thread). I'd hope everyone is treated with respect here, finds support & amazing tech information, and is encouraged to proudly represent & celebrate this awesome game we have.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Wow, outstanding post Mr. BoobieBombs! You hit the nail on the head more times than once. I can say from firsthand experience that SF & Marvel players get hype off the littlest things in USF4 & Marvel 3. There can be a giant ass environmental PL combo happening in DOA5LR and hardly anyone would make a peep in perspective. I will say that onlookers do find the Dangerzone stage hype however, although I hate that stage with a passion, but you get the idea. DOA players come off too much like they are not proud of their game and do not show enough passion. It makes our community look meek and ashamed of our game or Team NINJA.

The problems and issues with the community is why I cannot stand what happens in the DOA Competitive Group on FB. Too often unconstructive, degenerate bullshit occurs that just lowers everyones IQ, instead of useful discussions that further aid in growing both the offline scenes and the DOA community in general. Too many people give me the impression that they are more interested in starting shit than contributing to a community in need of serious maturity.

I will concur that a key to growing the DOA community is maintaining an air of positivity whenever promoting the game, playing the game or discussing the game, etc. People like to be a part of positivity, not negativity and degeneracy. I know that my DOA scene would have died almost 2 years ago, if I ragged on my game instead of showing people how awesome it can be.

Last edited:

Nerd Unemployed

The problems and issues with the community is why I cannot stand what happens in the DOA Competitive Group on FB. Too often unconstructive, degenerate bullshit occurs that just lowers everyones IQ, instead of useful discussions that further aid in growing both the offline scenes and the DOA community in general.

This has been something I have been hearing (and also seeing for myself) a lot in reference to the FB group. To that end, and in the spirit of B-Bombs letter, I recently started a new FB Group called DOATech

https://www.facebook.com/groups/980602508630900/

The goal of which is to discuss Tech, Combos, Game Mechanics etc. in a constructive and inclusive environment. Off topic and destructive comments/conversations will be strictly addressed and the page is be moderated by its trusted members.

This is not a replacement for the DOA Competitive Group, and I'm not claiming it's going to better ( That I leave to you/us/the community) but it is a new avenue available to all players.

Koompbala

This has been something I have been hearing (and also seeing for myself) a lot in reference to the FB group. To that end, and in the spirit of B-Bombs letter, I recently started a new FB Group called DOATech

https://www.facebook.com/groups/980602508630900/

The goal of which is to discuss Tech, Combos, Game Mechanics etc. in a constructive and inclusive environment. Off topic and destructive comments/conversations will be strictly addressed and the page is be moderated by its trusted members.

This is not a replacement for the DOA Competitive Group, and I'm not claiming it's going to better ( That I leave to you/us/the community) but it is a new avenue available to all players.

To be honest I'm good on joining anymore groups. The main competitive group got out of hand. So much so that someone already made another group. I can't even remember who. Anyway now that group is dead. It's the offline competitive group.

Nerd Unemployed

To be honest I'm good on joining anymore groups. The main competitive group got out of hand. So much so that someone already made another group. I can't even remember who. Anyway now that group is dead. It's the offline competitive group.

That's totally fine. I'm not advertising for memberships, my hope is that this will give people a new place where the kind of vitriol seen on other groups isn't welcome.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
If you're going to say the game is boring and then shit on the community, I can't say I'm going to shed a lot of tears for the loss.
But he didn't. He said people have lives.

Rather than condemning him, the better course of action would've been to ask what he does outside of DOA, then think of ways he can help offline, if he has any reasonable options.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
But he didn't. He said people have lives.

Rather than condemning him, the better course of action would've been to ask what he does outside of DOA, then think of ways he can help offline, if he has any reasonable options.
I honestly don't think he seems that interested in contributing. I tend to focus my energy on people that are interested in contributing instead of wasting time on people that don't.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I honestly don't think he seems that interested in contributing. I tend to focus my energy on people that are interested in contributing instead of wasting time on people that don't.
Back then, a lot of people assumed that an "online warrior" like me would never go to an offline tourney because I was "uninterested", when realistically, I just couldn't find it possible given my circumstances... I did eventually.

And eventually is certainly better than never.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Awesmic said:
Back then, a lot of people assumed that an "online warrior" like me I would never go to an offline tourney because I was "uninterested", when realistically, I just couldn't find it possible given my circumstances... I did eventually.

And eventually is certainly better than never.
Contributing to the community doesn't necessarily mean attending an offline tourney. It means doing something positive that boosts DOA's profile and levels up the game, whilst strengthening its presence in the FGC.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Contributing to the community doesn't necessarily mean attending an offline tourney. It means doing something positive that boosts DOA's profile and levels up the game, whilst strengthening its presence in the FGC.
I'm aware of that.

I also just noticed Hajin's offer from earlier implied he at least gave him the benefit of a doubt. Hopefully, not all is lost.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD