Soapbox: Community Activism and the DOA Narrative

Kohlrak

I don't think anyone would have a problem with the online causals if SOME of them didn't take shots at people that they beat in questionable conditions or disagree with. Its seems to me that that's where a lot of the fragmentation bullshit comes from. That's not to say that some of the offline people didn't take shots of their own. Personally, I've come to the conclusion that I cant really get much from online but I wont clown people who don't want to/cant show up offline events. Live and let live is how I feel about it. I will just try to do what I can to help.

That's the thing, though. Welcome to the internet. TBH, we have alot more splitting us, though. The problem is, too many have their own opinion, and no one wants to back down, even in the face of a community majority. Worse yet, no one wants to even try seeing things from another perspective, whether it be the opinion of the masher who mashes for a reason we refuse to address, or it's the platform issues, the sexuality, whether it's the quality of the DLC (which is a separate issue), or whether it's the softban, etc.

To be fair, though, we've had alot of reason to be angry. It's hard for us to put blame where it belongs when we got so much to gripe about. Whether or not that's incidental is a whole bunch of debates. Either way, we need to chill.

Raansu

So what if the casuals don't make it to tournaments all the time or not at all, that suddenly makes it justified to ignore any of their input because they won't be there? But what if they toss their hat in but can't do it every other time, does your point suddenly ring true or not?
They are still apart of the community and still matter to it whether you like it or not.

What good is said input when you have zero experience of offline events? Its like you trying to tell an engineer how to build a bridge yet you know nothing about bridges. Like it or not online and offline are two very different worlds. If you don't participate in offline events your say means nothing to offline players, end of story. Arguing about this over and over is completely meaningless because nothing will change so really you all just need to get over it.

Xhominid The Demon Within

What good is said input when you have zero experience of offline events? Its like you trying to tell an engineer how to build a bridge yet you know nothing about bridges. Like it or not online and offline are two very different worlds. If you don't participate in offline events your say means nothing to offline players, end of story. Arguing about this over and over is completely meaningless because nothing will change so really you all just need to get over it.

And that to me is still a pile of crud.
It shouldn't matter whether we do or not have experience, you are still trying to lock away half of the community out because "they don't matter anyway".
By that logic, everyone should watch the matches in person rather on Twitch as they don't matter otherwise.
I'm not saying we should be telling people where venues are or anything of that sort, I'm saying that if you want to make changes in this game, talk it out first with everyone rather than the "few" because those "many" that don't participate today could easily participate tomorrow.

oMASTER LEGENDo

Standard Donor
That's never going to happen lock the community out i think everyone is welcome to join offline when their ready but until then keep saving up then. Sounds like a Good idea for league of legends but that is an Online game after all, Dead or Alive is not an Online game sadly even though majority do play. Everyone who can't make to tournaments can also support the people who do make it by watching twitch streams so no one misses the action. And talking it out will be done offline like it should be trying to have the online community make decisions for people attending is dumb and unfair.

Second after reading this great post made to help the community we still have people Agreeing and Disagreeing, we just can't seem to have the whole community agree on something while online. So imagine the heated Debates with stupid people making decisions not good at all. Also we can't trust everyone online even when we have people making duplicate accounts to possible cheat anything which is also unfair. This community has not reached the numbers or the Honesty to even pull off something like that. But what we do have online to help you be a better player so hopefully you'll be ready enough to attend and have fun.

"You can't save the world behind a computer this isn't Tron"

Last edited:

Kohlrak

That's never going to happen lock the community out i think everyone is welcome to join offline when their ready but until then keep saving up then. Sounds like a Good idea for league of legends but that is an Online game after all, Dead or Alive is not an Online game sadly even though majority do play. Everyone who can't make to tournaments can also support the people who do make it by watching twitch streams so no one misses the action. And talking it out will be done offline like it should be trying to have the online community make decisions for people attending is dumb and unfair.

Second after reading this great post made to help the community we still have people Agreeing and Disagreeing, we just can't seem to have the whole community agree on something while online. So imagine the heated Debates with stupid people making decisions not good at all. Also we can't trust everyone online even when we have people making duplicate accounts to possible cheat anything which is also unfair. This community has not reached the numbers or the Honesty to even pull off something like that. But what we do have online to help you be a better player so hopefully you'll be ready enough to attend and have fun.

While i agree that offline should only be judged by offline players, it's extending beyond that, here. I can honestly say i've felt alienated more than enough to the point that "offline player" has become a formal rank in the community. If i can't have a say in general matters revolving around the general game even where it may or may not apply to online, what is my incentive to even respect that rank? If i am an outcast simply because i'm not an offline player, what if i show up at a tournament and still have the same opinion? Will someone find another excuse to keep me in my place?

oMASTER LEGENDo

Standard Donor
While i agree that offline should only be judged by offline players, it's extending beyond that, here. I can honestly say i've felt alienated more than enough to the point that "offline player" has become a formal rank in the community. If i can't have a say in general matters revolving around the general game even where it may or may not apply to online, what is my incentive to even respect that rank? If i am an outcast simply because i'm not an offline player, what if i show up at a tournament and still have the same opinion? Will someone find another excuse to keep me in my place?
Pretty much "offline player" is like that for every FGC community it's really nothing new. In order to get some sort of outcome you must be a very important person to the community or contribute which are so many ways to do so. Don't expect anything to get handed down to you especially if you don't do nothing but complain on forms you could be helping someone or creating video tutorials. People seem to forget that online has limitations and forget that when they strongly disagree with something, the only thing i see online matter for this community was bringing back new characters, costumes and minor game play suggestions that seems about it. The only time you feel like an outcast offline is if you don't have any friends i find it funny how everyone in this community can be confident in going to a Anime conventions but are highly doubtful when attending offline tournaments it's almost the same thing really go out and have fun.

Xhominid The Demon Within

That's never going to happen lock the community out i think everyone is welcome to join offline when their ready but until then keep saving up then.

Really? That's a pretty naive way of thinking.

You basically act as if it's okay to shun the online community from any and all communication the offline community is having...yet you then want us all to come together as a community to support the game...

How does that work when you are shutting out half of the community? It's a conundrum and it doesn't work that way. You basically want your cake and eat it too.

If you want the community to be as one, you are going to have to take the loss and accept the fact that those who are truly interested in the game succeeding offline and online can have equal input when it comes to huge decisions the offline community makes for the future of the game.

Pretty much "offline player" is like that for every FGC community it's really nothing new.
And so is the rampant stupidity, collusion, supreme arrogance levels and the huge need to be taken seriously when the players act anything but professional...and you want to be just like them!?

There's a REASON why any other FGC communities that isn't Capcom pretty much despises that community. We should make our own identity and if we want to come together, you gotta take the lumps.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Second after reading this great post made to help the community we still have people Agreeing and Disagreeing, we just can't seem to have the whole community agree on something while online. So imagine the heated Debates with stupid people making decisions not good at all.
For future reference, I suggest using the term "inexperienced" as opposed to "stupid". You come off as less of an asshole that way, which in turn makes certain people who would take offense (like myself) less hostile toward you in the first place. Not to mention, they'd be way more willing to actually listen to you.

Also we can't trust everyone online even when we have people making duplicate accounts to possible cheat anything which is also unfair. This community has not reached the numbers or the Honesty to even pull off something like that. But what we do have online to help you be a better player so hopefully you'll be ready enough to attend and have fun.

You'd be surprised... really surprised.

But that's a story for another time, and another topic.

oMASTER LEGENDo

Standard Donor
In the end i'm just following how things flow in the FGC i guess i just accept it for the way it is but there is hope someday.

oMASTER LEGENDo

Standard Donor
Really? That's a pretty naive way of thinking.

You basically act as if it's okay to shun the online community from any and all communication the offline community is having...yet you then want us all to come together as a community to support the game...

How does that work when you are shutting out half of the community? It's a conundrum and it doesn't work that way. You basically want your cake and eat it too.

If you want the community to be as one, you are going to have to take the loss and accept the fact that those who are truly interested in the game succeeding offline and online can have equal input when it comes to huge decisions the offline community makes for the future of the game.

How would it guarantee this community can all come together to vote on something without any conflict even if that option was available. i'm still not getting an explanation on this process would it be like the "Danger zone thread" you know how well that went just like you wanted it to the community participated did they not. Also don't use the word community because iv'e seen 3 or more members telling you the same thing so let just say it's your "input that matters" even with all the reasoning it either your way or the Highway something i realized already.

So anytime i hear about shunning the community from making judgments offline i'll think about the other threads that already tried this idea of online/offline participation History don't lie.

Raansu

All this arguing isn't going to change anything. Online and offline are two very different worlds, learn to accept that and get over it.

Kohlrak

Pretty much "offline player" is like that for every FGC community it's really nothing new. In order to get some sort of outcome you must be a very important person to the community or contribute which are so many ways to do so. Don't expect anything to get handed down to you especially if you don't do nothing but complain on forms you could be helping someone or creating video tutorials. People seem to forget that online has limitations and forget that when they strongly disagree with something, the only thing i see online matter for this community was bringing back new characters, costumes and minor game play suggestions that seems about it. The only time you feel like an outcast offline is if you don't have any friends

If i contribute ideas or something, i have rank then, right? Or am i so low of a person that if i don't show up offline, i'm barred from making videos, too? There is a strong feeling going around that tutorial vids or anything matters not and is absolutely worthless without being an offline player. And I really, really hope we haven't fell to that point.

i find it funny how everyone in this community can be confident in going to a Anime conventions but are highly doubtful when attending offline tournaments it's almost the same thing really go out and have fun.

How many people are going to conventions but not tournaments? I would imagine the only logical excuses would no longer be applicable.

This line of thinking seems to be common with every major debate here. Whether it be the softban, sexuality in general, simplicity, etc. We want our own way, but we don't care what the outside world thinks of us. When we point that out, then we're told haters gonna hate. People don't like our game, because they don't like our way.

If i don't go to offline, the only say I have about offline is what may or may not affect my likelihood of appearing. However, I may also have my opinion on how it affects the future of the game, but it should only have weight with the desire to shape the future of the game, not the offline community. Take the softban, for example. I can't say whether it's good or bad for offline, but i can say whether it's good or bad for the over all view of the game.

There's a REASON why any other FGC communities that isn't Capcom pretty much despises that community. We should make our own identity and if we want to come together, you gotta take the lumps.

What lumps are part of the community or not are subjective. We hardly have an identity if we can't even come together to figure out what it even is. Surely the devs and community have a totally different identity. For example, Street Fighter is a fun, lively, and light hearted game. Is the community? DoA is sexy, sleazy, and friendly, but are we? I really don't feel the community lives up to the DoA characters' feelings toward hard work towards getting better, solving problems, and helping each other.

How would it guarantee this community can all come together to vote on something without any conflict even if that option was available. i'm still not getting an explanation on this process would it be like the "Danger zone thread" you know how well that went just like you wanted it to the community participated did they not. Also don't use the word community because iv'e seen 3 or more members telling you the same thing so let just say it's your "input that matters" even with all the reasoning it either your way or the Highway something i realized already.

So anytime i hear about shunning the community from making judgments offline i'll think about the other threads that already tried this idea of online/offline participation History don't lie.

We shouldn't even have online-offline mentality. We're the same players, but our venue is different. We're playing the same damn game. Why does "the offline community" try so damn hard to make an alienating clique? Should we all be in user groups with our forums separated because the outcasts can't play well with the cool kids? Or would the clique rather they have access to both, while we have to deal with you?

oMASTER LEGENDo

Standard Donor
If i contribute ideas or something, i have rank then, right? Or am i so low of a person that if i don't show up offline, i'm barred from making videos, too? There is a strong feeling going around that tutorial vids or anything matters not and is absolutely worthless without being an offline player. And I really, really hope we haven't fell to that point.

We shouldn't even have online-offline mentality. We're the same players, but our venue is different. We're playing the same damn game. Why does "the offline community" try so damn hard to make an alienating clique? Should we all be in user groups with our forums separated because the outcasts can't play well with the cool kids? Or would the clique rather they have access to both, while we have to deal with you?

Nope we have not everyone is welcome to share character knowledge on improvements it's the whole point of a FGC site in the first place. What cool kids table you mean the word that Awesmic made up or you mean a bar at offline events i don't get it. Your asking for the impossible why does the Online community feel like their entitled to everything from doing nothing at all which doesn't only mean going offline. Why does the online community talk trash about players offline even when they are supporting events so Online players or not innocent. Offline players are humble and try to talk with players to have an understanding but if Online players don't want to meet them halfway then that's unfair. Your just Demanding we do it while majority work their hardest to get at that level so Online/Offline have their ups and downs so pulling out Vitim cards in both party's are in the wrong so don't act like online is so innocent.

oMASTER LEGENDo

Standard Donor
Online and offline are two very different worlds which we can't seem to meet eye to eye not even on this post, with that being said i'm done responding either you accept reality or you don't and everyone says this all the time. Another meaningless Debate again that goes nowhere yup.

Mailifang

Nice write up Boobiebombs and great suggestions.Sadly here is the problem with the DOA community as a whole. Its very dysfunctional. I've been playing the DOA series since it began. And as a competitive community DOA is fairly young.Considering it really didn't get any competitive attention by the community as a whole until DOA 4.

Here is my 2 cents on the community and why its even more split now than it was almost 10 yrs ago

* DOA 5 is the most controversial game in the series. Controversial meaning the casual and competitive players have a love/ hate relationship with the game. The casuals and fans of the game are not to fond or like the new technical aspects and mechanics. While the more vocal competitive players are not fond of all the costumes and fanservy fluff of the game.

*The majority of the fan base does not want nor care about DOA5 as a game to be taken seriously.Why? Because the high level DOA community comes off as being boring,cruel,unyielding,unwelcoming, and makes being good at the game seem like work. Basically it seems like no one has fun playing this game at a competitive lvl.Why.......?

*DOA 5 is the first game in the series that doesn't play like a DOA game.DOA as a series was created to be the anti serious 3d fighting game. It was never meant to be a technical game.It was a VF clone with boob physics,with a simplistic rock,paper,scissor game structure.The creator never wanted DOA to be the deepest game.Just a sexy fun game to play.

* I'm an ol school DOA player.I put in my time supporting the game and the community by hosting tournaments in my area back in the day. DOA5 is the first DOA game I an honestly say I don't enjoy playing.I can't say its because I'm old and and just don't have the reactions I used to. Because I still hold my own in DOA 2 Ultimate,DOA4, and DOA 3.But DOA 5 I just can't get into its mechanics. I can play VF,I can play Tekken.DOA 5 comes off as being an ass backwards game. Other games still hold on to its core mechanics. DOA 5 core mechanics are very Schizo in the fact its so offense heavy with so many offense heavy options that it overrides the triangle system. I would say the simplest fix would be to make the counter holds do more damage and lengthen the window of them. But it wouldn't fix the game.

*Quite frankly in my opinion Team Ninja should have not took so much input from the high level community concerning DOA5. The DOA high level community is not that big to begin with.And those that did whine over past DOA gameplay were only less than 5% of the fan base and players as a whole.

* Another reason why people don't openly support the game the majority of the young generation of gamers are a bunch of whining over sensitive entitled brats. Anything in geek culture that is "sexualized" offends them. The biggest and most vocal are the guys surprisingly. Prime example is the dumb soft ban idea. Even if you made all the female characters flat chested loli's and put them in potato sacks many players in the FGC won't play this game because the DOA community doesn't know how to appreciate its own game.Big tits, sexy costumes,pretty men, game play,ect.All of it has to be fully accepted and supported by not just the high level competitive players,but the DOA community as a whole.

* I agree that playing games in online lobbies is like going to a drug intervention. Consider me an addict.I luv DOA as a series. I hate DOA 5.Yet... I still play it. I've been to few offline events and hosted a few. Only things people say about it is that
"its pretty.....and uh its kinda fun.The chics are hot.....so uh yeah. So Whats the pot prize for winning a tourney?"
I find this quite sad really. I put in DOA2U or DOA 4 and the players found those games more fun to play.

* In the end a game has to be universally fun to play. Until DOA is universally accepted by its own fan base and the vocal members of the high level DOA community stop trying so hard and being so serious about making the game accepted in the FGC. Then maybe you will see more people talking about the game in a positive light. Right now the community is dysfunctional.Hell I've noticed that not many of the top players travel to the west coast for DOA majors now. A good chunk of the top players are now just mercenaries.They just play for the money.

* Oh another thing that bugs me is that DOA matches being announced and the commentary on stream is boring most of the time.You want people to get hype,get an announcer that's more of a hype man and less of DOA frickin scientist. Knowing the intricacies of the game and whats going on is fine.But announcing a match should be more entertaining and less of DOA game play tutorial. I found Spooky's announcing more entertaining than the majority of the players that got put on the mic.I don't play mahvel all that well yet I watch the matches on stream because the commentary at times is more entertaining than the matches.

Basically some of ya'll need to loosen up.Try to make the game seem appealing by having fun when your behind the mic. Say some jokes.Bring up funny stories about the players.

Raansu

*The majority of the fan base does not want nor care about DOA5 as a game to be taken seriously.Why? Because the high level DOA community comes off as being boring,cruel,unyielding,unwelcoming, and makes being good at the game seem like work. Basically it seems like no one has fun playing this game at a competitive lvl.Why.......?

Its all in your head. I'd say competitive players have more fun than the casuals. Casuals are too busy complaining and getting defensive over everything.

*DOA 5 is the first game in the series that doesn't play like a DOA game.DOA as a series was created to be the anti serious 3d fighting game. It was never meant to be a technical game.It was a VF clone with boob physics,with a simplistic rock,paper,scissor game structure.The creator never wanted DOA to be the deepest game.Just a sexy fun game to play.

I think you meant to say DoA4 because DoA5 plays plenty like a DoA game. The majority of the mechanics from DoA2 and 3 were all returned in DoA5 unlike DoA4 where everything was stripped away and the game had zero mechanics to work with. Adding some new stuff like power blows and critical bursts does not suddenly make it not a DoA game especially when DoA5 plays closer to DoA than DoA4 ever did.

* I'm an ol school DOA player.I put in my time supporting the game and the community by hosting tournaments in my area back in the day. DOA5 is the first DOA game I an honestly say I don't enjoy playing.I can't say its because I'm old and and just don't have the reactions I used to. Because I still hold my own in DOA 2 Ultimate,DOA4, and DOA 3.But DOA 5 I just can't get into its mechanics.

How can you not get into the mechanics when the same mechanics existed in DoA2 and 3?

I can play VF,I can play Tekken.DOA 5 comes off as being an ass backwards game.

You can say that about any fighting game.

Other games still hold on to its core mechanics.

That's funny considering the fact that DoA5 returned most of the core mechanics from older DoA games.

DOA 5 core mechanics are very Schizo in the fact its so offense heavy with so many offense heavy options that it overrides the triangle system.

Uh.....no it isn't. The neutral game, having a strong defense, and knowing when there is hold only situations and knowing whats safe/unsafe, and having a strong spacing game is extremely important. If you just go on the offensive you're going to get steam rolled by someone who has a proper neutral game. This game is no more "offensive heavy" than any other fighter.

I would say the simplest fix would be to make the counter holds do more damage and lengthen the window of them. But it wouldn't fix the game.

Dear God no, that is a terrible idea. Holds are a defensive option that lets you escape specific situations. They should not do a lot of damage. Holds taking half your health in DoA4 was idiotic. And no the window should not be lengthened. That was one of the major drawbacks in every DoA was the holds lingered way too long. Holds are meant to be a risk. If anything the active window needs to be way smaller and the recovery needs to be way longer.

*Quite frankly in my opinion Team Ninja should have not took so much input from the high level community concerning DOA5. The DOA high level community is not that big to begin with.And those that did whine over past DOA gameplay were only less than 5% of the fan base and players as a whole.

Putting aside the fact you're pulling numbers out of your ass, what does it matter? Seriously? No offense to the casual players but most are just playing the game to have fun. What difference does it make if the move is +1 or -1 or if a stun is unholdable or not. Casuals wont notice the difference because they don't look that far into the mechanics.

Adding casual stuff to the game is fine (believe it or not power blows were definitely a visual addition for casuals) but there's no reason not to make the game mechanically sound for the competitive players, because if you don't have both you end up with DoA4 where a small number of casual players played and the competitive scene just didn't exist. DoA5 found that balance pretty well.

* In the end a game has to be universally fun to play. Until DOA is universally accepted by its own fan base and the vocal members of the high level DOA community stop trying so hard and being so serious about making the game accepted in the FGC. Then maybe you will see more people talking about the game in a positive light. Right now the community is dysfunctional.Hell I've noticed that not many of the top players travel to the west coast for DOA majors now.

This can be applied to every community in ANY genre. Every community has its mix of casual and competitive players that butt heads from time to time. DoA is not unique in that regard.

A good chunk of the top players are now just mercenaries.They just play for the money.

This is just completely false....Many people go to tournaments knowing they will probably be outclassed. Sure you go in with the mindset of winning, but that's not WHY you go. You go for the fun of hanging out with people and enjoying competitive matches in person on top of spectating in person just like people go and see sports games live instead of on TV. Its a completely different experience.

When I went to D i D 7 a few years back, there was probably a few people there from DoAC that didn't like me, but you know what? We still talked about DoA and didn't give each other shit. We put all the BS to the side and had fun. Hell, awesmic was there and I think that was his first tournament and he knocked master out of the tournament. That was an epic match and everyone was crowded around him cheering. You don't get that sitting on a couch at home.

Basically some of ya'll need to loosen up.Try to make the game seem appealing by having fun when your behind the mic. Say some jokes.Bring up funny stories about the players.

I think you need to take your own advice. Your entire post was negative.

Last edited:

Mailifang

QUOTE="Raansu, post: 258201, member: 6042"]Its all in your head. I'd say competitive players have more fun than the casuals. Casuals are too busy complaining and getting defensive over everything.[/QUOTE]

Aah Good ol Raansu.The DOA 5 defender.Well of course the competitive pro players(all maybe 70 of you) are having more fun.Considering that you finally got a DOA game that plays to "your" standards.If the game wasn't so ass backwards, online servers wasn't so crappy, and Team Ninja was nickel & dimeing the players when it came to costumes.The Casual,long time fans, and veteran players wouldn't complain so much. But thats just my opinion.

I think you need to take your own advice. Your entire post was negative.

I had a very long written cmment addressing each and every one of your comments. You and I have been through this before.You tend to try to tea bag(showingthat you have a bigger pair of nutz) on people who you don't agree with or like. In response I tend to use my ovaries as nunchuks as a form of self defense.With that being said we will just have to agree to disagree when it comes to DOA game play mechanics as a series and as a game.'ve explained my opinion numerous times ad nauseum over the past 2 years on this forum.I don't feel the need to explain mysef again.With that being said I will do my best to stay on topic.

I practice what I preach.And because of that I got every right to put the game and the community on blast. If you truly read my post I listed the problems, yes.But also a few ways to fix them.If you read between the lines you would find solutions. But here I'll make it easy by listing ways the community can improve. Without needing to change the game. In the end its up to the community as a whole to decide the fate of the series. As long as the game makes money and Team Ninja contnues to make the game.It doesn't really matter what many of the high level offline competitive scene(which is less than 25% of the games players ) feel concerning the casual and online players.I will say this though the FSD members ae a reourceful bunch.Considering you guys convinced Team Ninja to buy into your bullshit and tailor a game to what you guys enjoy.You guys should spend just as much effort in helping the community come together

*The most vocal members of the FSD community needs to stop coming off as all knowing authoritative jerks to the rest of the DOA community.Especially those more vocal members who are not winning and are not participating in many of the major offline tournaments.

* The majority of the high level community needs to practice what it preaches by leading by example.I feel the FGC in general needs a form of social etiquette. So its not just a DOA community issue.

*Granted I know high level players get bashed on.I get it.I've even experienced it.But most of you guys are in your mid 20's to early 30's.Your adults so act like one.

* Luv and support your game.You got to accept the big tits,sexy costumes,and flawed game play mechanics. As much as I talk shit about the game and hate what it has become. I still support it by playing it,watching tournament streams,and if time permits host or go to local offline events.

* The high level community needs to realize that many in the the casual fan base knows what it takes to be good.Sadly DOA5 is not the most fun to play when it comes to high level play. But that's because there have not been a set standard of play to which the community as a whole agrees with. The high level community needs to sale high level play as being exciting and fun.You can't just tell people to get better or have them buy into high level play by being "alpha male" about it.I know a few of you lack the social skills.So you need to elect the more positive outgoing members to sale people on the fun of high level play.

* Make commentary on streams fun and engaging. I'm tired of hearing frame data numbers and the fact that so and so got whiffed punished 30 times in a match.Because I can see that during the course of the match.We need to have one frame data nerd and one out spoken DOA fan/ high level player with sense of humor share commentary duties.

* The community as a whole needs to learn to agree to disagree.Without resorting to butt hurt induced personal attacks.Treat each other how you want to be treated.Haters will hate.Ignore them.But if a player or a fan has a valid difference of opinion don't go attacking them.

*No buts! Meaning stop making excuses or reasons to bash on the community as a whole.

*FSD as a site and a community needs to stop separating itself from the rest of the community.You eat
,sleep,breathe, and shit like everyone else.Just because the majority of this sites members excell at the game doesn't make you better as a person.Your great in a video game and that's great.Some of you get paid and make a living doing it. But no one likes an egotistical prick.Humble yourselves before you attempt to humble others.

*Stop trying to enforce moral ideals on the community as a whole.No one cares if big tits and skimpy outfits offend you.It sounds even more dumb when said whiney players chooses mostly female characters.We get that you like your DOA ladies classy and want the game to seem viewer friendly.But the majority of the players didn't buy or support DOA as a series because of less skin being seen. And I can speak as a female gamer and player that I don't need wannabe feminists and White Knights deciding how I should see and enjoy the game.With out DOA's sexy content it would just be known as that shallow VF clone with counter holds. If the male DOA characters can go around topless in tight shorts than the players should have no issues with the female characters in skimpy outfits. You want gender equality than there it is.At least the female characters are not completely topless.
DOA still has a large female fan base.Yet you don't see too many of them openly complaining about "sexualization".DOA could use more pretty dudes though ^_^.

It doesn't require much just effort by the high level community to fix things Just an opened mind and a bit of kindness.

Raansu

I really don't feel like going through that so I'm just going to touch on two things mentioned and say my peace.

First:
We did not convince TN to tailor make the game to what we wanted. All we asked for was for DoA to play like DoA again. I don't care if you're casual or high level. DoA4 was not a DoA game. Even the most basic of DoA's gameplay was completely missing in DoA4. I don't care if DoA5 played closer to doa2 or doa3, I personally as a fan of DoA just wanted it to play like DoA again, and so did many of the other original members of this site. DoA5 mixed everything in. It has elements from all the DoA games. Some of it was altered a bit but TN did a fair job making a good game and keeping everything in the mix. The stun game from doa4 is in doa5. The guaranteed tools, limbo stuns, frame advantage, guard breaks, wall game etc....were returned from doa2 and 3. The OH from doa4 that was influenced by the catch throw design from doa1 and used all the way through to doa3 is in doa5.

Second:
Stating facts about game mechanics or even the games history does not make people authoritative jerks. If that's how you perceive it then that's your problem.

As for the rest of your stuff....I just don't care. Communities are a collection of individual people. No one is going to agree with everything. That's what makes each community unique This whole idea of a utopia community will never exist, and if it did, it would be boring as hell. People will agree, people will disagree. That's just how it is. The only time I will have a problem with it is when people try to start arguing against facts. Facts are facts for a reason. Stop trying to argue about them and dismissing it as "we'll just agree to disagree." It doesn't work like that. You can take it negatively all you want, you can disagree all you want, but its still a fact.

Kohlrak

Nope we have not everyone is welcome to share character knowledge on improvements it's the whole point of a FGC site in the first place. What cool kids table you mean the word that Awesmic made up or you mean a bar at offline events i don't get it. Your asking for the impossible why does the Online community feel like their entitled to everything from doing nothing at all which doesn't only mean going offline.

This is a whole other can of worms that I was hoping i would not have to discuss again. You see, i've heard a few (select few) people say before that they refuse to invest at all to solving the mashing problem (the last set of move changes and the talk in TN's video tutorials show that TN is already interested in addressing it themselves). You see, the issue is, the same people who may or may not have been helped by you before are probably not the same people asking for help now. You're making a very counter-productive move by assuming that it'll always end up the same way (that people get help and don't end up working to return the favor by becoming helpers themselves). This issue is not restricted to online, though it's going to be pronounced more online where there are many more people (and less people who have a personal connection and thus have less incentive not to disappoint you). This "us and them" mentality only closes our minds so that we don't address the actual issue. It's a cop-out. I can understand being frustrated with trying to teach people and they end up quit showing up to lessons, choose not to help others, ignore lesson advice (without feedback, because if something isn't working for someone and they choose to ignore advice, but can explain their reasoning behind it, you actually have something to work with and against to still produce a result), etc. I deal with this every damn time someone says "Hey, Kohlrak, teach me programming," or "Hey, Kohlrak, teach e Japanese," or "Hey, Kohlrak, teach me X." But you know what? Out of the n>10 people online that have request of me me, I've actually had people learn (<10). Out of the n<10 offline people, no one ever shows up or contributes anything. People want results without effort. I understand, but how can people contribute if they don't have anything to contribute? People try vocalizing their weaknesses, only to get generic answers (some try to help though, so not all is lost).

Why does the online community talk trash about players offline even when they are supporting events so Online players or not innocent. Offline players are humble and try to talk with players to have an understanding but if Online players don't want to meet them halfway then that's unfair. Your just Demanding we do it while majority work their hardest to get at that level so Online/Offline have their ups and downs so pulling out Vitim cards in both party's are in the wrong so don't act like online is so innocent.

I only ever really hear the online community bash the offline community when it comes to elitism. Humility comes out of the investment (and potentially subconscious desperation resulting from investment). I've seen how plenty of these "humble" people act on here (fortunately, only a certain few offline people are like this, making for a loud majority, which those who are not using the offline venue need to come to understand before this gets worse than it needs to be).

Online and offline are two very different worlds which we can't seem to meet eye to eye not even on this post, with that being said i'm done responding either you accept reality or you don't and everyone says this all the time. Another meaningless Debate again that goes nowhere yup.

This is the mentality that perpetuates the online-offline issues. If this were a private conversation, I wouldn't've even responded. However, it is a huge disservice to the people trying to build this community to not address this pompous stupidity, as this is the kind of crap that splits communities. So if reality means we cannot get along, then why do we even have a community? What is the justification? Why do you even come here? What purpose could your words possibly serve outside serving your own ego?

Nice write up Boobiebombs and great suggestions.Sadly here is the problem with the DOA community as a whole. Its very dysfunctional. I've been playing the DOA series since it began. And as a competitive community DOA is fairly young.Considering it really didn't get any competitive attention by the community as a whole until DOA 4.

Here is my 2 cents on the community and why its even more split now than it was almost 10 yrs ago

* DOA 5 is the most controversial game in the series. Controversial meaning the casual and competitive players have a love/ hate relationship with the game. The casuals and fans of the game are not to fond or like the new technical aspects and mechanics. While the more vocal competitive players are not fond of all the costumes and fanservy fluff of the game.

I disagree. Competition is always fun, as long as it's friendly.

I don't know what it was meant to be. I wasn't here for that. What i do know is, even before 5, it became much more serious, even to the point where there's enough going on that it's very realistic. Moreso than other fighting games. It was this that had me get dimensions and then 5, and 5 seems to fit nicely.

* I'm an ol school DOA player.I put in my time supporting the game and the community by hosting tournaments in my area back in the day. DOA5 is the first DOA game I an honestly say I don't enjoy playing.I can't say its because I'm old and and just don't have the reactions I used to. Because I still hold my own in DOA 2 Ultimate,DOA4, and DOA 3.But DOA 5 I just can't get into its mechanics. I can play VF,I can play Tekken.DOA 5 comes off as being an ass backwards game. Other games still hold on to its core mechanics. DOA 5 core mechanics are very Schizo in the fact its so offense heavy with so many offense heavy options that it overrides the triangle system. I would say the simplest fix would be to make the counter holds do more damage and lengthen the window of them. But it wouldn't fix the game.

I think that's because of the whining and the push to become more like other fighting games. I don't like it either, but it is what it is.

Such is the competative community with other games, except for strange games like Kid Icarus where the competitive community effectively hijacked and ruined the game.

* Another reason why people don't openly support the game the majority of the young generation of gamers are a bunch of whining over sensitive entitled brats. Anything in geek culture that is "sexualized" offends them.

Geek culture is notorious for sexualization (rule 34 is very much a geek term). However, DoA noticeably tries to push things to the limits, and even very much beyond. However, the geek culture prefers cannon materials of something to be less sexual. TN is as open as they can be about sexuality, and this in particular is what isn't popular. Geek culture seems to generally prefer fetishism to be grass roots.

The biggest and most vocal are the guys surprisingly. Prime example is the dumb soft ban idea. Even if you made all the female characters flat chested loli's and put them in potato sacks many players in the FGC won't play this game because the DOA community doesn't know how to appreciate its own game.Big tits, sexy costumes,pretty men, game play,ect.All of it has to be fully accepted and supported by not just the high level competitive players,but the DOA community as a whole.

The reputation DoA carries must be fixed, first. FGC players generally stick with their favorite game, anyway. The real targets for DoA expansion should be people outside of the FGC altogether. And if DoA were to be toned down a bit, they might even get people who aren't even normal VG players interested in it (honestly, if people can get into flappy bird but not DoA (especially when it has F2P versions), then something's obviously turning them away [and it's either sexuality, the learning curve, or both]).

* I agree that playing games in online lobbies is like going to a drug intervention. Consider me an addict.I luv DOA as a series. I hate DOA 5.Yet... I still play it. I've been to few offline events and hosted a few. Only things people say about it is that
"its pretty.....and uh its kinda fun.The chics are hot.....so uh yeah. So Whats the pot prize for winning a tourney?"
I find this quite sad really. I put in DOA2U or DOA 4 and the players found those games more fun to play.

Yeah, they're simpler. Sidestepping has really changed this series more than people realize. However, i think that was for the better. It just needs a better method for being a nobody to competently beating people.

* In the end a game has to be universally fun to play. Until DOA is universally accepted by its own fan base and the vocal members of the high level DOA community stop trying so hard and being so serious about making the game accepted in the FGC. Then maybe you will see more people talking about the game in a positive light. Right now the community is dysfunctional.Hell I've noticed that not many of the top players travel to the west coast for DOA majors now. A good chunk of the top players are now just mercenaries.They just play for the money.

I don't go to tournies, so i don't know, but i don't think that's true. Especially when most people show up knowing they probably aren't even going to place. Is it overhyped more than it should be? Yeah, probably. But for those outside of the community, it looks pretty and sounds cool. It's great publicity for a game when you can get a bunch of people to get together and play for money. Issue is, the game's not popular enough for that to actually have an effect. I think it's too much too early.

* Oh another thing that bugs me is that DOA matches being announced and the commentary on stream is boring most of the time.You want people to get hype,get an announcer that's more of a hype man and less of DOA frickin scientist. Knowing the intricacies of the game and whats going on is fine.But announcing a match should be more entertaining and less of DOA game play tutorial. I found Spooky's announcing more entertaining than the majority of the players that got put on the mic.I don't play mahvel all that well yet I watch the matches on stream because the commentary at times is more entertaining than the matches.

That'll come with game power. My understanding is, they need regular players to commentate, but they're players, not announcers. And from what i've seen, they hardly sound like tutorials, rather they sound more like a tech exchange. I'd rather it be a tutorial, IMO. However, people like to talk tech, so that's what they speak about, so the people who are already watching have no problem following along or enjoying it.

I dont think that would work nearly as well as mimicing sports commentators. They hype a game by yelling and making junk slogans.

QUOTE="Raansu, post: 258201, member: 6042"]Its all in your head. I'd say competitive players have more fun than the casuals. Casuals are too busy complaining and getting defensive over everything.

Aah Good ol Raansu.The DOA 5 defender.Well of course the competitive pro players(all maybe 70 of you) are having more fun.Considering that you finally got a DOA game that plays to "your" standards.If the game wasn't so ass backwards, online servers wasn't so crappy, and Team Ninja was nickel & dimeing the players when it came to costumes.The Casual,long time fans, and veteran players wouldn't complain so much. But thats just my opinion.[/quote]

Can we all take a moment and appreciate this line? I swear it's from a movie, but i'm not sure what movie.

I had a very long written cmment addressing each and every one of your comments. You and I have been through this before.You tend to try to tea bag(showingthat you have a bigger pair of nutz) on people who you don't agree with or like. In response I tend to use my ovaries as nunchuks as a form of self defense.With that being said we will just have to agree to disagree when it comes to DOA game play mechanics as a series and as a game.'ve explained my opinion numerous times ad nauseum over the past 2 years on this forum.I don't feel the need to explain mysef again.With that being said I will do my best to stay on topic.

I want to address this, but it's hard with this line. But I shall. Please, give us examples of your oh great wisdom. You could at least link us to these posts.

I practice what I preach.And because of that I got every right to put the game and the community on blast. If you truly read my post I listed the problems, yes.But also a few ways to fix them.If you read between the lines you would find solutions. But here I'll make it easy by listing ways the community can improve. Without needing to change the game. In the end its up to the community as a whole to decide the fate of the series. As long as the game makes money and Team Ninja contnues to make the game.It doesn't really matter what many of the high level offline competitive scene(which is less than 25% of the games players ) feel concerning the casual and online players.

You'll have to pardon Team Ninja and TK, as almost the entirety of both speak 日本語 as their native language, and I would like to apologize to you on their behalf. Make your solutions clearer from now on, please.

I will say this though the FSD members ae a reourceful bunch.Considering you guys convinced Team Ninja to buy into your bullshit and tailor a game to what you guys enjoy.You guys should spend just as much effort in helping the community come together

What movie did this line come from again?

*The most vocal members of the FSD community needs to stop coming off as all knowing authoritative jerks to the rest of the DOA community.Especially those more vocal members who are not winning and are not participating in many of the major offline tournaments.

The issue is, a good portion of them are all knowing (at least about matters of the game, but not so much people outside of their community [it would seem]). I would rather they not keep conveying the same knowledge over and over again in the same ways when it clearly doesn't make a difference (though, at least they're still trying to put stuff out, which is better than being like some).

* The majority of the high level community needs to practice what it preaches by leading by example.I feel the FGC in general needs a form of social etiquette. So its not just a DOA community issue.

I agree with this, actually. However, as we've seen a few posts above, people have trouble being a good guy when they feel they're surrounded by bad guys.

*Granted I know high level players get bashed on.I get it.I've even experienced it.But most of you guys are in your mid 20's to early 30's.Your adults so act like one.

Please tell me you won't go to McDonalds, get in the ball pit, surrounded by kids, and, without doing so because you're upset with your child for not coming out to eat or go home, stand there grumpy while they pelt you in the face with the plastic balls. If not, please realize that's essentially what you're telling us to do. And it gets better, scientifically speaking, it's harder for grown men to maintain adult-hood in the presence of boobs, regardless of whether they're real or pictures on the screen. It's much like the Cat Proximity comic.

* Luv and support your game.You got to accept the big tits,sexy costumes,and flawed game play mechanics. As much as I talk shit about the game and hate what it has become. I still support it by playing it,watching tournament streams,and if time permits host or go to local offline events.

And coming off like a party pooper every step of the way! Go you!

* The high level community needs to realize that many in the the casual fan base knows what it takes to be good.

Actually, you'd be very surprised. Enlighten us with your very specific wisdom.

Sadly DOA5 is not the most fun to play when it comes to high level play. But that's because there have not been a set standard of play to which the community as a whole agrees with. The high level community needs to sale high level play as being exciting and fun.You can't just tell people to get better or have them buy into high level play by being "alpha male" about it.I know a few of you lack the social skills.So you need to elect the more positive outgoing members to sale people on the fun of high level play.

Although i agree, in your case, it's the pot calling the kettle black.

* Make commentary on streams fun and engaging. I'm tired of hearing frame data numbers and the fact that so and so got whiffed punished 30 times in a match.Because I can see that during the course of the match.We need to have one frame data nerd and one out spoken DOA fan/ high level player with sense of humor share commentary duties.

Well, we know one thing's for certain. While we're busy searching for one, we can skip right over you.

* The community as a whole needs to learn to agree to disagree.Without resorting to butt hurt induced personal attacks.Treat each other how you want to be treated.Haters will hate.Ignore them.But if a player or a fan has a valid difference of opinion don't go attacking them.

Will you take your own medicine if it is given to you?

*No buts! Meaning stop making excuses or reasons to bash on the community as a whole.

But... But...

*FSD as a site and a community needs to stop separating itself from the rest of the community.You eat
,sleep,breathe, and shit like everyone else.Just because the majority of this sites members excell at the game doesn't make you better as a person.Your great in a video game and that's great.Some of you get paid and make a living doing it. But no one likes an egotistical prick.Humble yourselves before you attempt to humble others.

Aside from the implication that the majority of people here (let alone the majority of competitive players) are like this, i agree. Though, i'd love to know who actually does this as their fulltime job. Because, frankly, me and them need to get real close.

*Stop trying to enforce moral ideals on the community as a whole.No one cares if big tits and skimpy outfits offend you. It sounds even more dumb when said whiney players chooses mostly female characters.We get that you like your DOA ladies classy and want the game to seem viewer friendly.

I love the logic, here. You admit that classy ladies are more viewer friendly, but cannot connect viewer friendliness with "everyone." You see, outside of the FGC, people actually do care. If they didn't, how would classy ladies be more viewer friendly? It's self-explanatory: viewer-friendly means that the game is being friendly to the viewers (which we are hoping to be outsiders). I know the commentary doesn't help, but can't we all come to realize that there's a connection between skin, character age, player age, and controversy? (That last sentence was more or less directed at everyone.)

But the majority of the players didn't buy or support DOA as a series because of less skin being seen. And I can speak as a female gamer and player that I don't need wannabe feminists and White Knights deciding how I should see and enjoy the game.With out DOA's sexy content it would just be known as that shallow VF clone with counter holds. If the male DOA characters can go around topless in tight shorts than the players should have no issues with the female characters in skimpy outfits. You want gender equality than there it is.At least the female characters are not completely topless.

I would rather put shirts on the men, anyway, because everyone running around shirtless is just as bland as swimsuit X. I'm ready to see a true casual collection, where people dress how normal people dress casually (Jeans, sweatpants, etc), as opposed to how you dress to go to overly informal or overly formal events. I really like some of the more obscure male outfits in the game like Bass' C7, C14, and C1. Bayman has a nice C3, C6, and C13 is da bomb. Eliot's selections in general are nice. Gen Fu's C11 is probably my favorite in the game. C3, C4, and C8 of Jacky are sweet. C3, C6, and C7 on this page of Jann Lee are making me rethink whether or not i can look at him long enough to learn him (i've traditionally hated his costumes as they feel so out of place). Rig can get away with shirtlessness, but only because his type of character is usually like that in real life (bad boy/mechanic). I really wish Zack would get some normal outfits, though.

DOA still has a large female fan base.Yet you don't see too many of them openly complaining about "sexualization".DOA could use more pretty dudes though ^_^.

Of course. Classy generally doesn't have the same feeling for women that it does for men. But that'd end up in a very long discussion that should never take place on public forums.

It doesn't require much just effort by the high level community to fix things Just an opened mind and a bit of kindness.

I think the high level community would be better off by relaxing and keeping up hope that not everyone they try to help is going to betray their kindness.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD