Soapbox: Community Activism and the DOA Narrative

Mailifang

And there lies the problem.its the fact you and a few very vocal others make the high level community come off as well...jerks.And well those are the facts.I can argue facts all day.But I already have in our previous debates In which I recall handing you your ass.I decided to stay civil and stay on topic.In the end DOA shouldn't be just about you or what others on this site or the shallow end of the pond want.Its what the community as a whole wants.Team ninja doesn't make any money catering to just you vocal few.so i feel you guys in general shouldn't be the voice or represent the community as a whole.You make us all look selfish, unfriendly,and unwelcoming as a community.

I openly admit to DOA5 not being my game.You don't like DOA4? Fine I accept that.I don't like DOA5. i've probably been playing DOA longer than you have.I own or have owned all the games on various consoles.Old vets and fans know how a DOA game is supposed to play.DOA never needed extra gimmicks. Nor did it need more ways to punish your opponent. I'm a true DOA purist.You and I have different views.And that is a fact.We debated them before.I still got links on my profile to all those old debates we had If you want I can copy and paste them all here. All that would do is force CyberEvil or the other mods to close the topic.But I'm sure that was your plan to begin with.which was to derail the topic and engage in a pointless debate.

Another fact is that you got a well known bad rep in both the online and offline community
So I don't have to buy the BS your selling.Instead of insulting you or down playing your knowledge of the game.I'm going to be the grown up and say I guess we will have to agree to disagree

Its gotten to the point that the community at large pretty much ignores many from the FSD community.There are hurt feelings on both sides.But shots were fired from this side of the community first.Many of you decided to segregate yourselves.Choosing to have camaraderie among only a small select group of hardcore dedicated players.Many of you barely get along with each other.Let alone have a clear vision on making the community better. Your like a bunch of kids fighting to keep control of a small tree house.But hey it is what it is.

Mailifang

Another challenger!! Posting on this forum is like being a player from a rival neighborhood playing at a hostile arcade.Where everyone wants to kick your ass and talk shit to throw you off your game lol.I know longer take this stuff personally.If you guys want a dysfunctional community than hey more power to you.I'm out.I got my daily dose of BS for the day.

Kohlrak

And there lies the problem.its the fact you and a few very vocal others make the high level community come off as well...jerks.And well those are the facts.I can argue facts all day.

I think you could use some practice. practice.

But I already have in our previous debates In which I recall handing you your ass.I decided to stay civil and stay on topic.

I recall differently. Show me.

In the end DOA shouldn't be just about you or what others on this site or the shallow end of the pond want.Its what the community as a whole wants.Team ninja doesn't make any money catering to just you vocal few.so i feel you guys in general shouldn't be the voice or represent the community as a whole.You make us all look selfish, unfriendly,and unwelcoming as a community.

Is this the pot calling the kettle black. FSD has done a good job of representing the other instances of the DoA community that i've seen.

I openly admit to DOA5 not being my game.You don't like DOA4? Fine I accept that.I don't like DOA5. i've probably been playing DOA longer than you have.

Your bold and proud declaration. As if it actually has any merit what-so-ever if you played the game 5 minutes before he did. Please elaborate on why anyone, especially he, should care.

I own or have owned all the games on various consoles.Old vets and fans know how a DOA game is supposed to play.DOA never needed extra gimmicks.

You mean it doesn't need gimmicks like jiggly boobs and swimsuits? But wait, didn't you say the very opposite thing before? Or are you going to say that jiggly boobs are not a gimmick?

Nor did it need more ways to punish your opponent. I'm a true DOA purist.You and I have different views.And that is a fact.We debated them before.I still got links on my profile to all those old debates we had If you want I can copy and paste them all here. All that would do is force CyberEvil or the other mods to close the topic.But I'm sure that was your plan to begin with.which was to derail the topic and engage in a pointless debate.

Actually, that seems to be your goal from what i've seen, but whatever. Either way, all parties of an argument, especially when we break to the bottom tier of the chain and resort to name-calling, are guilty of derailing and making things harder. However, sometimes such sacrifices need to be made in case an outsider reads this mess as community consensus. I've already made clear before that i'm willing to take a more permanent hit if necessary for the greater good of the community. Though, you're already explicitly ignoring CyberEvil's request to stop double posting.

Another fact is that you got a well known bad rep in both the online and offline community

Please do the worksheets.

So I don't have to buy the BS your selling.Instead of insulting you or down playing your knowledge of the game.I'm going to be the grown up and say I guess we will have to agree to disagree

Actually, thank you for pointing me in the right direction to find my own answer to the question about the play pen. You just refuse to hold yourself to the same rules you hold others.

Its gotten to the point that the community at large pretty much ignores many from the FSD community.

That's funny, as FSD was the first place to accept me (regardless of whether or not have i well worn out my welcome). But if we're so small, why are you even bothering to post here? Obviously even an outsider would recognize how dead this place is.

There are hurt feelings on both sides.But shots were fired from this side of the community first.Many of you decided to segregate yourselves.Choosing to have camaraderie among only a small select group of hardcore dedicated players.Many of you barely get along with each other.Let alone have a clear vision on making the community better. Your like a bunch of kids fighting to keep control of a small tree house.But hey it is what it is.

So where is this other place? And why is TN clearly getting involved with this place? Better question, why am i still feeding this troll? (Answer: too much fun.)

Another challenger!! Posting on this forum is like being a player from a rival neighborhood playing at a hostile arcade.Where everyone wants to kick your ass and talk shit to throw you off your game lol.I know longer take this stuff personally.If you guys want a dysfunctional community than hey more power to you.I'm out.I got my daily dose of BS for the day.

I really want to hear this in a Morgan Freeman voice. Rather, i just want to jump in to take over. I seem to be having more fun with you than he is.

EDIT: I like your side, too. I want to try! I, a man (with a very vulnerable organ, because our physical differences totally influences the outcome of logic), much less like a lion or tiger, but more like a house cat, enjoy toying with you.

Last edited:

Raansu

And there lies the problem.its the fact you and a few very vocal others make the high level community come off as well...jerks.

I'm not high level. I'm not even close to high level. I wish I was, but I'm not. I'm book smart and above average but that's about it. I have a firm grasp of DoA's game design and could probably write a book that rivals the official strategy guide, though it would probably look like an unorganized mess. Unfortunately though I just don't have the reflexes to apply the knowledge. Or maybe its a mindset issue? I dunno. A lot of times I space out and draw a blank when playing and just hold block. Either way, I'm far from high level. Just want to get that clear and out of the way.

I'm sorry that you seem to feel that people are coming off as jerks. I don't see that, but unfortunately its hard to show emotion in text, like me for example all I see is you attacking the community. That may not be your intention but that's what I see.*

And well those are the facts.I can argue facts all day.But I already have in our previous debates In which I recall handing you your ass.I decided to stay civil and stay on topic.

Even before I replied you haven't been civil at all....You've been putting down the community and talking down to the streaming community and have been negative the entire time.

In the end DOA shouldn't be just about you or what others on this site or the shallow end of the pond want.Its what the community as a whole wants.Team ninja doesn't make any money catering to just you vocal few.so i feel you guys in general shouldn't be the voice or represent the community as a whole.You make us all look selfish, unfriendly,and unwelcoming as a community.

I'm glad you enjoyed DoA4, but you need to stop acting like DoA4 was the first DoA game. You talk about the community and us being selfish for wanting DoA to go back to its roots but you seem to be acting more selfish about you clearly just wanting DoA 4.2.

I've probably been playing DOA longer than you have.I own or have owned all the games on various consoles.

I don't see how this is relevant to the conversation, but for the hell of it I'll go along. I've been playing DoA for nearly 16 years. Not that it makes any difference but there it is.

Old vets and fans know how a DOA game is supposed to play.DOA never needed extra gimmicks.

And how were they suppose to play? Like DoA4? Because that wasn't doa. I know you liked DoA4 and all, but seriously, that wasn't DoA. DoA4 to us is like Tekken 4 to the Tekken community (ironic that both vast changes were on the 4th numbered game). Tekken 4 made so many drastic changes that it wasn't really tekken anymore outside of the top layer of the game.

DoA4 did the exact same thing. Personally I liked Tekken 4, but I fully understand why it was disliked among many. Tekken 5 went back to its roots just like DoA5 did. I'm sorry that you didn't get another DoA4, but TN going back to its roots was the correct thing to do. And its not like they completely ignored DoA4 either. Many of the features that were introduced in DoA4 are in DoA5. Ground game, ground bounces, the stun system etc....

Nor did it need more ways to punish your opponent. I'm a true DOA purist.You and I have different views.And that is a fact.

Except there isn't more ways to be punished. Unless of course you refer to DoA4, which let you escape out of everything, but thats a different argument. DoA5 gives you ample opportunity to avoid bad situations. There are many strong options in the neutral game. If you get hit with a stun you are given plenty of chances to slow escape and use defensive holds.

Guaranteed stuns are just an extra hit. Think of it this way, just pretend the guaranteed stun was already a launcher in DoA4 because that's all a guaranteed stun is, just one extra hit before the launcher. You have your chance to stop that stun just like you had a chance in doa4 to stop the launcher.

We debated them before.I still got links on my profile to all those old debates we had If you want I can copy and paste them all here. All that would do is force CyberEvil or the other mods to close the topic.But I'm sure that was your plan to begin with.which was to derail the topic and engage in a pointless debate.

I haven't posted on this forum for two years and the month or so I've been back I really haven't been all that active. I think this thread is the most I've posted since I came back next to my Hitomi posts I made. With that said its not my intention to derail anything. I'm simply having a conversation. If the mods feel the need to do something about it then that is their decision to do so. Its not my place to tell them what to do.

I'm not selling any BS. I simply stated my experience when I went to D i D 7 ( assuming that is what you are referring to.) With that said, I'm well aware of my reputation and I also deeply regret my actions in the community. I was and still am dealing with PTSD. I have gone out of my way to apologize to several members of the community and if I could speak Japanese I would apologize to Shimbori as well, and to anyone else here I do apologize for my destructive behavior. I still get snappy at times but I try my best to keep my composure.........Not sure why I just typed that, but eh I kind of feel better now.

Out of curiosity, who are these "high level" players that you speak of? Any examples...?

Some of the posts in this thread have been really hurting my head...

I thought we could be a bit more mature about the situation than this? Which of course is @boobiebombs's purpose for this Soapbox in the first place...

Eh that's why originally I said this thread isn't going to end well but I guess at this point we might as well let the air out. I know I feel better. I suppose it will be up to the mods on what they decide to do with the thread but I think the conversation going on right now is a good thing.

Edit:
Man I have a really bad habit of typing too much don't I? <_>

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Welcome back, @Mailifang.

Community issues aside, I recall you live in California. SoCal Regionals are on June 5. This could be a good opportunity to meet some open-minded players and observe the state of the community offline, and at a major to boot.

Malfury

I'm honestly done with this game, because It got boring the community has gotten worse. Maybe I'd pick it up if doa6 is better. But atm I'm just tired of this game and it's community. Peace.

1366670074537_zps2z5wr2wk.jpg

Great post Boobiebombs.

Also, I agree with Awesmic. Give people time to figure out what they want to do. Eventually they'll come out if they want to get into the competitive scene. I personally decided I will not become a competitive player anymore until either my military situation changes or I get out. When that happens, I'll get serious about DOA again. Other than that, as it stands, there is no chance I'll be going to any events for quite a while. I'm sure there are some, if not, alot of people who are in the same boat as me.

Also, please don't trash talk this game if you honestly like this game. You seriously don't have anything to prove to anyone except that this game can be great if you try to enjoy it.

On another note, if anyone thinks that other FGCs don't talk trash about their own game in a negative light, they are kidding themselves. I honestly haven't seen it myself on DOA streams, but I have seen it for years on other games. It's nothing new, and people are going to do and say what they want.. just the way it is :/.

Kohlrak

I'm not high level. I'm not even close to high level. I wish I was, but I'm not. I'm book smart and above average but that's about it. I have a firm grasp of DoA's game design and could probably write a book that rivals the official strategy guide, though it would probably look like an unorganized mess. Unfortunately though I just don't have the reflexes to apply the knowledge. Or maybe its a mindset issue? I dunno. A lot of times I space out and draw a blank when playing and just hold block. Either way, I'm far from high level. Just want to get that clear and out of the way.

Do you have the PS3? I'd like to work with you on this issue (regardless of whether or not you have a ps3, as i'm sure we can find a common ground to work on this regardless). I can tell from how you're typing that you regularly feel my current project, just like I do. It just so happens to affect me outside of DoA, so there's a lot of incentive for me to work on it. Let's bang heads on here (via PMs) or on skype.

I'm sorry that you seem to feel that people are coming off as jerks. I don't see that, but unfortunately its hard to show emotion in text, like me for example all I see is you attacking the community. That may not be your intention but that's what I see.*

I also see dramatic performance. I feel like it's just trolling, so i ain't taking it seriously at all.

Even before I replied you haven't been civil at all....You've been putting down the community and talking down to the streaming community and have been negative the entire time.

Check hi--her profile. I'm guessing troll account for a G.I.R.L..

Except there isn't more ways to be punished. Unless of course you refer to DoA4, which let you escape out of everything, but thats a different argument. DoA5 gives you ample opportunity to avoid bad situations. There are many strong options in the neutral game. If you get hit with a stun you are given plenty of chances to slow escape and use defensive holds.

I really wish fighting games did have better escaping. It's so hard on beginners to deal with going for a ride only to wait for the moment to pick up the controller again and get set for another ride.

Eh that's why originally I said this thread isn't going to end well but I guess at this point we might as well let the air out. I know I feel better. I suppose it will be up to the mods on what they decide to do with the thread but I think the conversation going on right now is a good thing.

You see, despite all teh damage infighting does, the community coming together and talking is a good thing. The problem is when some people can't handle the changes so they have to make an epic fit about it as loud as possible to try to appear to be the majority. But, then again, that's everywhere. The downside is that the silent majority is a little too silent. And then, on top of all that, you have this troll.

Edit:
Man I have a really bad habit of typing too much don't I? <_>

Have you even been reading my posts?

Mailifang

::reads replies:: O_O. I remember when I used to copy, paste, and dissect everything someone posted.Then change their words around. Combat my opponents logic with a bunch of BS.Man, Kohlrak! I give you made props for your trolling skills.That is some master troll bait responses. My last post was directed at sir Raanu.I don't know what I posted to get your tighty whitey's in bunch Kohlrak lol.Are you and Raansu dating or what?

My obnoxious trolling days are behind me ::sniffs::.
You guys win ::cries::.
Your mean!!! ::runs out the thread like a sad anime school girl::.

^_^

Kohlrak

::reads replies:: O_O. I remember when I used to copy, paste, and dissect everything someone posted.Then change their words around. Combat my opponents logic with a bunch of BS.Man, Kohlrak! I give you made props for your trolling skills.That is some master troll bait responses. My last post was directed at sir Raanu.I don't know what I posted to get your tighty whitey's in bunch Kohlrak lol.Are you and Raansu dating or what?

My obnoxious trolling days are behind me ::sniffs::.
You guys win ::cries::.
Your mean!!! ::runs out the thread like a sad anime school girl::.

^_^

I'll dish it if i see it, and heaven knows i've dealt with the net long enough to see it. But, hey, you're fun.

b-bombs

Standard Donor
Lots of good discussion going on here. As a note, I've found many (though not all) of the more productive posts have tonally had more "we" and "us" and less "you" "I" and "they" (obviously an opinion). We have a lot of positivity and progressive conversation going on here. It'd be a shame for that to be overpowered by passive aggression and negativity.

That being said, SCR and EVO are going to be hyper exciting. We're going to bring the heat. Cheering in bounds. Awesome gameplay. I'd love to meet as many of you as possible. EVO in particular is going to be a fantastic opportunity to represent loud and proud for the DOA community.

Mailifang

Yeah, like wise.But I stand by my list of things that need to improve community.That was from the heart .Because when you get to my age you notice a lot of BS..I've been a part of other communities and DOA is the only one with a severe identity crisis. Its obvious quite a few here here don't want things to change.So I'm no longer going to worry about it.A long as I enjoy the game how I see fit among like minded players I'm all good.I really don't need anyone's approval.Plus I'm too old to be BSing on fighting game forums.Been there ,done that.

Nice meeting you Kohlrak.Troll on bro,Troll on ^_^. If you want to see the BS I had to deal with my profile stts and look at my older posts over the last few years.Those past debates were epic.
Raansu I have nothing personal against you.But please for your own sanity find other hobbies in life.I know I did.

Raansu

@Mailifang Now you're just being ridiculous and telling me to find other hobbies while also posting on the same website is a little hypocritical.

@Kohlrak Unfortunately my ps3 got the yellow light of death. Shame to because it was a launch 60gb and I was right in the middle of replaying legend of dragoon to =/. I'd use an emulator but those things are hit or miss on certain games.

Yurlungur

I had to leave the "competitive" doa group. Too many people there bug the living shit out of me.

"Haha, i'm learning this character and then i'm dropping this character for another one because they're good with lag hahaha"

"Mortal kombat is go great let's talk about it here instead of talking about doa which every other facebook group talks about their own game on their page but this one"

"HAhaha people are laggy fuck them"

"Omg, i got dis h8 mail", bruh this is ok 1 in 20 posts

Oh my god, Like i understand people who are wanting to get matches in but are those posts fucking necessary???? I mean, If people look at that and see we look disorganized as fuck. I mean i've been getting a headache just dealing with this shit.

I think that's the major issue, we're just really disorganized.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I had to leave the "competitive" doa group. Too many people there bug the living shit out of me.

"Haha, i'm learning this character and then i'm dropping this character for another one because they're good with lag hahaha"

"Mortal kombat is go great let's talk about it here instead of talking about doa which every other facebook group talks about their own game on their page but this one"

"HAhaha people are laggy fuck them"

"Omg, i got dis h8 mail", bruh this is ok 1 in 20 posts

Oh my god, Like i understand people who are wanting to get matches in but are those posts fucking necessary???? I mean, If people look at that and see we look disorganized as fuck. I mean i've been getting a headache just dealing with this shit.

I think that's the major issue, we're just really disorganized.

I wouldn't really say "disorganized", it's more a problem of the community not being able to get on the same page. I find that the issues related to this stem from the significant difference between Online DOA5LR play & Offline DOA5LR play, and the high quantity of players that both don't know the differences, and can't acknowledge or appreciate the differences. I can tell whether the complaints or issues being raised are based on online play or offline play. The high quantity of fragile egos in the community don't really help matters either.

Just for a frame of reference, in my experience, I don't think I've ever encountered an unwelcoming, egotistical, douchebag or anything resembling that at an offline event or gathering before for DOA5 and its updates. I do not really know where the impression that offline DOA5 players are "jerks", "elitists" or "assholes", or whatever, came from.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I wouldn't really say "disorganized", it's more a problem of the community not being able to get on the same page. I find that the issues related to this stem from the significant difference between Online DOA5LR play & Offline DOA5LR play, and the high quantity of players that both don't know the differences, and can't acknowledge or appreciate the differences. I can tell whether the complaints or issues being raised are based on online play or offline play. The high quantity of fragile egos in the community don't really help matters either.

Just for a frame of reference, in my experience, I don't think I've ever encountered an unwelcoming, egotistical, douchebag or anything resembling that at an offline event or gathering before for DOA5 and its updates. I do not really know where the impression that offline DOA5 players are "jerks", "elitists" or "assholes", or whatever, came from.
Lopedo.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD