Some More DLC pics

Female Tengu

@DR2K

high quality textures. Good joke.
No one forces me, of course. If people can like and support it, I can dislike and "bitch" about it.

But heh, what's with the fans of all these costumes? 12$ for "throwbacks". Isn't that uhm rude?
Na Prost Mahlzeit.

Stikku

Until they see the majority of abortions that come out of customization. It's so bad I don't know which character I'm fighting against in the other 3D fighters at times.
You seem to be confusing Costume Editing with Character Creation, or even Soul Calibur V's costume mode which allowed people to create dicks and stupid shit to attach to their character.

Dead or Alive needs a true costume edit mode, where each character only has access to every piece of a "costume set" that made up every previous costume that they've ever had, as well as entirely new costume-parts-of-a-set ideas.
What I mean by "part" is splitting the costume editing into categories like "Head/Face, Torso, Legs, Arms, Wrists, Feet, Waist"

Jann Lee won't be wearing Baymans vest and Baret, and Lei Fang won't be wearing Christie's Jacketnipples. Every character will keep their identity.

Add in color-editing for each piece, simplified accessories like glasses, and you got something that doesn't detract from the identity of the characters and doesn't allow people to put fuzzy purple dicks on their Jann Lee's.

By the way, This is the way both Tekken and Virtua Fighter do it, and those games are fantastic.
I'm pretty sure those games don't have a literal Color Edit option, instead having many palette swaps of one particular costume part - but none the less, it's extremely more detailed, fun, and endearing than anything DOA5 has done.

DyByHands

Yeah, I don't like the customiztion in VF5 FS. So I will just put that same feeling towards DOA. They all suck IMO. I like what Team Ninja does with DOA customizing as is. Just change hair or a couple hats and be done. However, I do agree this sucks when there are only like 3 costumes like DOA3 or DOAD but this already has more than those so Im good.

Stikku

c'mon, are you honestly implying Clown Zack and Jester Hitomi aren't the products of half-baked melancholy and overall disconnection from the reality that Dead or Alive represented for the past 15 years? Those costumes are far worse than anything a player would have made had the game shipped with true costume customization.

CrimsonCJ

c'mon, are you honestly implying Clown Zack and Jester Hitomi aren't the products of half-baked melancholy and overall disconnection from the reality that Dead or Alive represented for the past 15 years? Those costumes are far worse than anything a player would have made had the game shipped with true costume customization.

"Half-baked melancholy"? That's... an interesting way of explaining those concepts, makes them sound like existential statements!

That said, character customization is a terrible idea. People just do horrible things with it. And we're already dealing with people who make clown costumes and bikinis, so I don't want to know what would be let into the system.

DR2K

@DR2K

high quality textures. Good joke.
No one forces me, of course. If people can like and support it, I can dislike and "bitch" about it.

But heh, what's with the fans of all these costumes? 12$ for "throwbacks". Isn't that uhm rude?
Na Prost Mahlzeit.

Yes, they're higher quality texture wise because they're entirely new textures.The joke is entirely on you and your bitching.

No, it's not rude. Nostalgia sells. They're not obligated to make every costume "NEW" since they're in the game for free.

Ace Flibble

Yup. I traded in Tekken Tag 2 after two weeks mostly because customisation ruined online for me, as well as offline ghost battles. I have no intention of fighting a Kazuya with a bubble-blowing toy pig balanced on his head.

I like the way DOA5's handling it. If I want to see demon Ryu or Helena in a bizarre pleather catgirl corset/thong/80s shoulder pads thing, I can pay my money, it's an actual extra that's not just locked off on the disc, and I get to see them while nobody else has to see them if they don't want to.

The game hasn't even been out for a month yet and there's already one moderately priced set of DLC and one totally free set of DLC. Most games don't have any DLC by now, or when they do it's BS locked-on-disc stuff on day 1 which is just a sleazy publisher trick to get you to not only pay full price for the game at launch but then spend additonal money on things which are already sat there in your copy anyway.
Remember Oblivion's 200MSP 'horse armour'? Gears Of War 3's 3600 MSP - that's £30 - weapon skins pack which were all just reskins on the disc? How Namco charged money for on-disc levels in Beautiful Katamari which were tied to achievements? Or all the times Namco has charged Soulcalibur players for an on-disc maid costume, or a fiver for Darth Vader/Yoda which were sat there for months, just arbitrarily barred from the player so Namco could shaft them for another few quid for no additional effort on their part? How about all the Call Of Duty map packs that Activision sell at a premium which have been sat there finished since before the game launched?

DLC is abused so much by so many publishers. DOA5 isn't the game to be getting angry at. If you don't like the DLC that Tecmo/Team Ninja have offered so far then fair enough. By all means, register your annoyance at how some characters have already gotten a bunch of costumes while others have had none. It's okay to not want to pay money for something which doesn't actually effect gameplay and/or which you've seen before. It's okay to hold out until some DLC comes along that you do want, or even not get any of the DLC at all. It's okay to think that there could be a better way, something you'd prefer instead. Hell, if I had my way, the very first thing that would have come out would have been the option to change Tina's hair back to brunette and we'd be having stages and old music added in first before bothering with costumes.
That's all fine. But don't get angry about this. This isn't the title to be getting cross about. None of us are entitled to anything. None of us are the CEO of Team Ninja or whatever. I rarely - in fact have never before - sided with a publisher/developer on these matters. But this is silly. To their credit, Tecmo regularly give out free codes for DLC for their 'Warriors' titles on Twitter, they did a month's worth of DLC for DOA:D and they've already done a free DLC pack for DOA5. And this is all stuff they're actually adding to the games, not things they've copy & pasted (contrary to popular belief, you can not simply copy over costumes to different characters, you need to remake them from scratch) or just unlocked from behind a paywall on the disc.

If you don't like it, cool. There's nothing wrong with that. But don't get so irate, don't act so entitled, when you're being treated more than fairly. They've not screwed anybody over. They're not lying to anybody. It's still very early days.

Chill.

DR2K

Maybe you're just afraid of throwing more good Ideas out for Team Ninja to fuck up.
Seriously, I don't who made them that way - but golly if they aren't just a group of spiteful little cocksuckers.

Well no other fighting game developer has managed to keep you active on their respective forums as much.

CrimsonCJ

If you don't like it, cool. There's nothing wrong with that. But don't get so irate, don't act so entitled, when you're being treated more than fairly. They've not screwed anybody over. They're not lying to anybody. It's still very early days.

Entitlement, indeed. And I am also not beyond criticizing a developer. I definitely have a different taste in clothing, and simply will not be buying certain items I don't want, and maybe all of them because they do feel a bit pricey for what I'm getting. But I'm hardly upset about them offering things I don't want, or not offering things I do want when I got the 60$ dollar game I intended to buy...

Stikku

Well no other fighting game developer has managed to keep you active on their respective forums as much.
I posted a bug-report on Capcom-Unity's Super Street Fighter IV: AE forums over the commands for Yang's teleport-dash and his rolling-kick being swapped, but only like two people replied, and that was the official capcom forums.

I just post here cause whocaresright?
Honestly, the forum is active - even if it's active with people who care tremendously less than I do about extremely simple things that the game should have had, and is reflected in the game's lackluster sales and overall popularity as an actual fighting game. I'm given more than enough reason to believe this place is a troll forum or something, but again who even cares. Lets not get off-topic here.

Ace Flibble

Entitlement, indeed. And I am also not beyond criticizing a developer. I definitely have a different taste in clothing, and simply will not be buying certain items I don't want, and maybe all of them because they do feel a bit pricey for what I'm getting. But I'm hardly upset about them offering things I don't want, or not offering things I do want when I got the 60$ dollar game I intended to buy...
And that's how it should be.

Apologies for the ranting, but I'm an on-off game journo myself and I've lost count of how many times now I've seen people complaining, wildly out of proportion, about perfectly reasonable DLC plans whilst happily lapping up all the crap some publishers try to sucker the public into buying. This just isn't one of those times where this much controversy is warranted.

[...]and is reflected in the game's lackluster sales and overall popularity as an actual fighting game..
Nobody is not buying DOA because it lacks some arbitrary mode you've decided needs to be a bullet point on the back of the game box. DOA's been around a long time now. People know whether they want to play it or not and that's where the sales figures lay.
As it so happens, in Japan DOA5 sold more copies in one week than TTT2 sold in three. In fact worldwide it's the best-selling fighting game this year. So, there are your 'lackluster sales'. It's leading the market right now.

Stikku

I traded in Tekken Tag 2 after two weeks mostly because customisation ruined online for me.
i-had-fun-once-and-it-was-awful.jpg

Nobody is not buying DOA because it lacks some arbitrary mode you've decided needs to be a bullet point on the back of the game box. DOA's been around a long time now. People know whether they want to play it or not and that's where the sales figures lay.
As it so happens, in Japan DOA5 sold more copies in one week than TTT2 sold in three. In fact worldwide it's the best-selling fighting game this year. So, there are your 'lackluster sales'. It's leading the market right now.
Pretty sure this is untrue but okay. The actual sales figures were that DOA5 sold more in it's singular first week than TTT2 sold in it's singular third week, but okay.

CrimsonCJ

And that's how it should be.

Apologies for the ranting, but I'm an on-off game journo myself and I've lost count of how many times now I've seen people complaining, wildly out of proportion, about perfectly reasonable DLC plans whilst happily lapping up all the crap some publishers try to sucker the public into buying. This just isn't one of those times where this much controversy is warranted.

I am sympathetic, indeed.

It feels odd for the content being involved here. I mean, I'm not necessarily pedantic about this. If they were neglecting to really give any content over time (like, say, with a MMO) when they promised content over time, that'd be one thing. This... isn't that.

Heck, even a critique about how the DLC costumes probably do not reinforce (correct) stereotypes about this game would be sensible, and in that they might hurt the potential of the brand a bit. But it isn't that either.

It's just consumerism gone crazy.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD