Soul Calibur Thread

SilverForte

For sc6, basically do a tekken 3 and bring back a lot more of the old characters, have better offline modes, improve upon movesets. I think scv was the best in the series gameplay wise so just refine that system.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I honestly think that SC6 should keep the current generation of fighters and just bring back the missing weapon fighting styles that didn't make it into SC5. I hate when a company decides to do a generational shift for the roster, only to abandon the characters and bring back old characters to appease fans. There is nothing wrong with fighting games moving forward.

CFW

Lots of the older SC characters are pretty stale IMO they would have been better in scv because of all the extra stuff they added I wish PS were given better priority boooo namco. :(((((((((

synce

I honestly think that SC6 should keep the current generation of fighters and just bring back the missing weapon fighting styles that didn't make it into SC5. I hate when a company decides to do a generational shift for the roster, only to abandon the characters and bring back old characters to appease fans. There is nothing wrong with fighting games moving forward.

What's "moving forward"? SC5 didn't move forward. They just swapped out move sets for no good reason, cutting classic characters in the process, and offered an incomplete story mode. My main Hilde wasn't even in it, and there was no explanation anywhere in the game of what happened between the time she was like 18 (you know, a few years ago) and the present when she's THIRTY SOMETHING. That's a giant F-U to fans, and that's why it sold like crap and they have to cater to F2P perverts now just to scrap some dough.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
What's "moving forward"? SC5 didn't move forward. They just swapped out move sets for no good reason, cutting classic characters in the process, and offered an incomplete story mode. My main Hilde wasn't even in it, and there was no explanation anywhere in the game of what happened between the time she was like 18 (you know, a few years ago) and the present when she's THIRTY SOMETHING. That's a giant F-U to fans, and that's why it sold like crap and they have to cater to F2P perverts now just to scrap some dough.
SC5 definitely was streamlined, which had mixed reactions. In terms of gameplay, I feel that it's the best in the series. As for story, we all know SC5 was rushed and was planned to have a longer story. That is not the developer's fault, because Japan experienced a natural disaster during the time of development. Gameplay wise, SC5 is great. Could it have used better single player content? Yes. But I'm sure that, if given enough time, SC6 will be great.

ninjaguy446

I math'd wrong, Cassandra came out the 16th, not the 9th. So next week it'll be the longest wait if we don't get anyone.

For SCVI, I'd like SCV's gameplay. For characters, they messed up really bad with SCV. I say they should do some BS story point where Astral Chaos throws the new characters into the past or the old characters into the future so we can have everyone. Have the old characters keep their movesets and change the new characters who were clones of the old characters so that they're different.

Daishi really dug a deep hole with the timeskip, but it seems like Hoshino doesn't care.

NeverGiveUp

Removing Talim, Mina and Zas was just a big mistake in my opinion. Those were unique styles but yet you bring in Patrokulos and Pyrrha Omega who use both a shield and a sword despite their different movesets. Character bio's and a better story mode should come back but because of the decline of both features in sc4 and 5 i am not going to be optimistic about that.

Bringing back characters, Making a better story mode ( to be fair and also as someone mentioned above, Dashi just didn't
have enough time to finish it. He actually said it himself 1/4th of the story mode was only done.) maybe add in a Art Gallery and character profiles. I'll list my gameplay changes later

Brute

Standard Donor
What do you guys want from SC2?
No meters and all that goes with that. You had stronger normals for pressure since aside from the Soul Charge because they weren't depending on you pissing out some meter or gauge to effectively apply your heaviest pressure.
Less conditional inputs. For example, in SCV the "While Rising" attacks just become insane because so many attacks leave you in a crouch status. So rather than poke with a low and then follow-up with my planned normal pressure attack, I'm always getting caught in "While ducking/While rising" loops. This limits my mix-up capacity in a way that seems wholeheartedly pointless. You had stuff like that in 2, sure, but in a much more limited capacity. WR/WC attacks almost always ended in standing state, for example, so at least after that one input you're back in gear. You rarely got looped.
Less effects so that I can actually tell WTF is going on. They were in 1 and 2, sure, but so toned down compared to IV/V so that I could actually see what I was doing.
Old Lizardman. All of Lizardman's new fighting styles are lame. Bring back his old stuff. No funny business with wings.
Less bloom so that I can tell what's going on.
Interesting and varied stages.
Good music.
Announcer tone that doesn't sound like a boring pastor at Sunday School.
I could make a plug for less ugly character models that actually look different from one another, but I feel like that might be too much to ask for considering how much they love to model import their wretched models from IV these days. Same goes for outfit design.

SilverForte

Only thing I want from sc2 is stuff like team battle and special versus. I find V to just be more fun to actually play. Meter mechanic was actually my favorite new addition to V, allowed for additional meter managment depth.

Reactions: CFW

ninjaguy446

No meters and all that goes with that. You had stronger normals for pressure since aside from the Soul Charge because they weren't depending on you pissing out some meter or gauge to effectively apply your heaviest pressure.
Less conditional inputs. For example, in SCV the "While Rising" attacks just become insane because so many attacks leave you in a crouch status. So rather than poke with a low and then follow-up with my planned normal pressure attack, I'm always getting caught in "While ducking/While rising" loops. This limits my mix-up capacity in a way that seems wholeheartedly pointless. You had stuff like that in 2, sure, but in a much more limited capacity. WR/WC attacks almost always ended in standing state, for example, so at least after that one input you're back in gear. You rarely got looped.
Less effects so that I can actually tell WTF is going on. They were in 1 and 2, sure, but so toned down compared to IV/V so that I could actually see what I was doing.
Old Lizardman. All of Lizardman's new fighting styles are lame. Bring back his old stuff. No funny business with wings.
Less bloom so that I can tell what's going on.
Interesting and varied stages.
Good music.
Announcer tone that doesn't sound like a boring pastor at Sunday School.
I could make a plug for less ugly character models that actually look different from one another, but I feel like that might be too much to ask for considering how much they love to model import their wretched models from IV these days. Same goes for outfit design.
You can RCC crouching moves to go into standing moves right away, and not being able to use a move only applies to moves that don't 8WR or use two button inputs (e.g. 66B, 6B+K).

I'd argue the stages are pretty varied in this game. You have completely wall'd off stages (Astral Chaos, Pyrrha), complete RO stages (Aeon, Astral Chaos), transition stages (Elysium, Astaroth, Maxi), infinite stages (Elysium, Hilde, Tira), stages with breakable walls (Leixia, Patroklos, Maxi), a stage that has walls that fall down (Voldo), and stages with two walls two RO, three walls one RO, etc. Etc.

The only really flashy stuff in SCV is the yellow BE and CE. All of the other stuff has been here since SC2. But I do agree that the BE color is garish. I the old color flashes from the trailers since they were more dull.

Xernuht

What do I want from SC6?

Setsuka, Mina, Talim, Zas.

Give Pyrrha the Opyrrha/Sophitia set, simplify (and weaken) Pat's Apat set, and bring back Cassandra with an altered Pat-style.

Other than that? IN-GAME FRAME DATA. Oh, and a mission mode like Xrd that deals with situations and how to react.

CFW

I'd argue the stages are pretty varied in this game. You have completely wall'd off stages (Astral Chaos, Pyrrha), complete RO stages (Aeon, Astral Chaos), transition stages (Elysium, Astaroth, Maxi), infinite stages (Elysium, Hilde, Tira), stages with breakable walls (Leixia, Patroklos, Maxi), a stage that has walls that fall down (Voldo), and stages with two walls two RO, three walls one RO, etc. Etc.

The only really flashy stuff in SCV is the yellow BE and CE. All of the other stuff has been here since SC2. But I do agree that the BE color is garish. I the old color flashes from the trailers since they were more dull.

SCV stages are the best in the series. No contest. They were all so different, and the fact that they added infinite stages AND stages that change just adds to how important the stages are in these games. I can't really compare what games had good stages better than SCV, but SCV and SCIII had really interesting stages.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD