Soul Calibur Thread

Jadeinchains

Bullshit. Male characters have much more perks and freedom than female ones because they can be unattractive and weird and still have a following.
This is especially true in SC where Voldo and Nightmare are fan favorites. Male SC characters have the pretty guys but then there are weirdos and uglies making it much more interesting.

While what has to offer SC's female cast? They are cool but not even as half as diverse than the male cast. There is not much variery in a pool of pretty girls, I honestly don't see it, as much as I love Xianghua, Mina, Talim, Ivy, etc.
Their variety is each being a different type of cute girls.

Just tell me where the perks and varieties of female characters are other than being each one a different type of attractive. It's not a bad thing but it seems bullshit to me to claim they are more popular because they are more different and varied than the male ones.

If anything female characters are more popular because people are generally attracted to beautiful and sexy characters.

Not to mention there are many people who prefer to play as hulking badasses like Cervantes and Nightmare... And many of these are guys. Not everybody picks only shotas and sexy girls.

I suppose its true that men can be ugly but a woman is always expected to be attractive to have a following. For example Sheeva from MK is... Not the prettiest woman ever and so she has barely any fans and I'm guessing it could be because of that. One thing though is that female characters definitely have more perks when it comes to clothing since tbh male clothing is pretty boring most of the time.

Also I'm strangely attracted to Voldo so he clearly has something ( something ) going for him. XD

Hayabusiness

@Hayabusiness Did I...make you angry?? :-/
No, I wad baffled by your statement, and I explained why. Yes, there is confrontation in my question (which you did not reply to), but anger is an exaggeration.

I just don't see what, from an objective POV, female characters have over male ones. Where are the variety and perks you talk about? Because from what I see male characters have much more variety, personal taste aside.

@Jadeinchains
I can see the clothing perk aspect, but that is true also for real life.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
No, I wad baffled by your statement, and I explained why. Yes, there is confrontation in my question (which you did not reply to), but anger is an exaggeration.

I just don't see what, from an objective POV, female characters have over male ones. Where are the variety and perks you talk about? Because from what I see male characters have much more variety, personal taste aside.

@Jadeinchains
I can see the clothing perk aspect, but that is true also for real life.
Females generally are more appealing in games because males get to play females they consider attractive, and they're often times the better fighters in videogames. Plus they have alot more interesting clothes and appearance options than males do, and more variety concerning different fetishes and stuff. Men have that in games too, but it's much lesser to appease western players.

Hayabusiness

Females generally are more appealing in games because males get to play females they consider attractive, and they're often times the better fighters in videogames. Plus they have alot more interesting clothes and appearance options than males do, and more variety concerning different fetishes and stuff. Men have that in games too, but it's much lesser to appease western players.

All this is your personal taste though.

How are female characters objectively the better fighters, for example?

First of all, out there there are many players who prefer to use male characters and many players who find them more interesting over female characters, as I said. Many guys I saw refuse to main a female character, for example (it's ridiculous and baffling but it's true).
Yeah, JAPAN might prefer female characters but that is another big can of worms and I certainly do not have the knowledge to talk about it, but Europe and America always leaned towards male characters (and this is also why DOA got ridiculed so much, for having too many girls).

Second, the variety you mention is mostly variety of the fanservice type. You even said female characters cater to more fetishes than male ones.
It's not this variety that makes a character stand out though, at least to me.
Female characters have the variety that makes you think "Oh this one is the milf, this one is the jailbait, etc". It might be varied but it all boils down to pretty and sexy girls. How varied is this? It's arousing but it's not what makes a cast varied. They're just attractive girls. This is not a bad thing but as I said, but is it really varied?

Male characters on the other hand have old men, monsters, beasts, lanky types, huge types, comic relief, while still having attractive guys in their ranks. Isn't this the first thing you think with variety?
Isn't this the sort of thing that spices a FG cast?
Not to mention, uglier characters tend to make beautiful characters stand out and viceversa. It makes if feel more refreshing and varied, IMO.

Also are you implying that male fanservice is just a bone thrown to make western fans less angry? That might be true with DOA but certainly not true with Namco...

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
All this is your personal taste though.

How are female characters objectively the better fighters, for example?

First of all, out there there are many players who prefer to use male characters and many players who find them more interesting over female characters, as I said. Many guys I saw refuse to main a female character, for example (it's ridiculous and baffling but it's true).
Yeah, JAPAN might prefer female characters but that is another big can of worms and I certainly do not have the knowledge to talk about it, but Europe and America always leaned towards male characters (and this is also why DOA got ridiculed so much, for having too many girls).

Second, the variety you mention is mostly variety of the fanservice type. You even said female characters cater to more fetishes than male ones.
It's not this variety that makes a character stand out though, at least to me.
Female characters have the variety that makes you think "Oh this one is the milf, this one is the jailbait, etc". It might be varied but it all boils down to pretty and sexy girls. How varied is this? It's arousing but it's not what makes a cast varied. They're just attractive girls. This is not a bad thing but as I said, but is it really varied?

Male characters on the other hand have old men, monsters, beasts, lanky types, huge types, comic relief, while still having attractive guys in their ranks. Isn't this the first thing you think with variety?
Isn't this the sort of thing that spices a FG cast?
Not to mention, uglier characters tend to make beautiful characters stand out and viceversa. It makes if feel more refreshing and varied, IMO.

Also are you implying that male fanservice is just a bone thrown to make western fans less angry? That might be true with DOA but certainly not true with Namco...
What I mean is like they perform better, like they have the better move lists that pro players prefer from a more effective stand point. I myself don't care but females often times are just better but that's just my observation. I wasn't trying to argue at all.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Next "Legendary Souls Showdown"
View attachment 21799
It's interesting that Sophitia and Elysium are in it.
Duuuude...Mi-Na vs Setsuka? This is going to be a tough one for me :(

My boy Yun Seong is going to get knocked out in the first round by (my girl) Talim. ;___;
I like them both but Yun Seong a bit more. I wonder why he is so relatively unpopular.
yun-seong-vid-o.gif
My guess? Some prefer Hwang due to Yun's personality. But yeah, Talim must prevail! WIND! O_O

Res17

That's a tough one!
Who i want to win: Setsuka.
Who i think will win: Talim.

I think it'll end up being Talim Vs Zasalamel.
I just hope Setsuka beats Mi-Na at least :p

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I see then, if discussion is not what you want I'll leave it at that.
I mean I see your point, I was wrong about the variety part since you are right, men in VGs can look any type of way and still have a following, while females are expected to be beautiful and have a certain image and figure to maintain popularity, but even still females are 8/10 the more popular gender in most videogames.

@Project Bokuho pick Setsuka, she's high tier while Mina is bottom tier as of SC4. XD

Jadeinchains

I love Sophitia but I wishCassandra could kick Sophitia's ass but in this contest its obvious Sophitia's gonna win this popularity contest though.

Hayabusiness

but even still females are 8/10 the more popular gender in most videogames.
I doubt it. Maybe in Japan and weeaboo circles (I say this as a weeb), but overseas, I don't think so. Female main characters are still a gamble.

-----

I think Sophitia will win this whole bracket.
I wonder though, what if this voting is for a cameo of some sorts?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I always used Sophitia myself, Cassandra I tried to learn but she's kinda less versatile than Sophie is, but I love her brutal low throws and more aggressive style, she's like a rushdown Sophie. XD Seung Mina I'll vote for since I like her style and character, Setsuka I never used because of how overly difficult she was to use. XD

Res17

I must say, even tho i'm voting for Sophitia, i did miss Cassandra's style. I didn't think i'd miss her much since i found her to be annoying (personality wise). I like Sophitia more but i do miss Cassie. I hope they both return in the next installment.

Musourenka

It's weird. To me, SC4 Sophie plays more like SC2 Cass (i.e. mid-range focused) than SC4 Cass does. That's why I play both in 4. I don't care much about close range mix-ups outside of throw vs strike.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD