Team NINJA Debuts Get Ready Fight Official Tutorial Series

Kronin

People, remember that Team NINJa are looking for their feedback for the series: so if you have comments on this first one or requests for the future, be sure to comment the video on you tube (or at the most their tweet, and later very likely even facebook post, about the tutorial) ;)

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
People, remember that Team NINJa are looking for their feedback for the series: so if you have comments on this first one or requests for the future, be sure to comment the video on you tube (or at the most their tweet, and later very likely even facebook post, about the tutorial) ;)

They also know of this article and read the comments ;)

Kronin

They also know of this article and read the comments ;)

This is even better. I made my previous comment just because I knew that the users of FSD, between the people more careful for a such matter, would have naturally commented on this thread: my invite wanted just remember to use other channels more under TN' sight.

But if you say so, there is no problem =)

Argentus

yaaaaay real tutorials. Cannot tell you how many times I've tried to look up some basic/fundamental tutorials, only for everything to be hyperadvanced guaranteed death combo cancel videos, which are USELESS.

PhoenixVFIRE

This reminds me of pretty much every time I've ever tried to teach someone something and just coach them through the process. I'm glad they added a lot of trial and error to her attempts because it helps make it feel more realistic, like she worked to get there rather than them just editing the video for her failing like twice then finally getting it. It would've given people the idea that she got it so soon and almost didn't even work for it, then the newer people watching might expect to get it as soon as she did. This way it lets people know you might fail a lot at first but you will get it eventually, it's just a matter of time and practice :)

Kohlrak

Either TN is reading all this (finding people this quickly to do that is unlikely) or they're acknowledging the issue, and finally taking PROPER steps to fix it. Unfortunately, this still doesn't solve the learn how to get into the game within 5 minutes to an hour, but at least they're attempting, and not doing bad otherwise.

For a beginner this would be already an "advanced" technique; on the opposite imo make more sense how first step to realize the basis of the inputs pressing (including the delay that is a not pressing of the ordinary buttons, rather than the addition of a new one).

Exactly, as this teaches that waiting too long breaks your string.

This reminds me of pretty much every time I've ever tried to teach someone something and just coach them through the process. I'm glad they added a lot of trial and error to her attempts because it helps make it feel more realistic, like she worked to get there rather than them just editing the video for her failing like twice then finally getting it. It would've given people the idea that she got it so soon and almost didn't even work for it, then the newer people watching might expect to get it as soon as she did. This way it lets people know you might fail a lot at first but you will get it eventually, it's just a matter of time and practice :)

Every time someone says that this game is easy, I feel they don't understand this. The reality is, unless she's good and acting that she fails (we'll figure this out later), she made alot of mistakes and they were cut out. They used her fails as filler to hit exactly 5 minutes, which we can predict will be the future length of the rest of the videos.

ThisLateGamer

Standard Donor
\
I don't think it's possible to do this "combo" in 5U. The 3rd P seems to relaunch now. But maybe I just haven't played Kasumi in a while
You're right. I tried both of them and the last hit doesn't connect.

Last edited:

Kronin

yaaaaay real tutorials. Cannot tell you how many times I've tried to look up some basic/fundamental tutorials, only for everything to be hyperadvanced guaranteed death combo cancel videos, which are USELESS.

But I believe that Emperor Cow's tutorial released for DoA5 (not the single characters ones, but the first series about the mechanics of the game) are very good for learning basic/fundamentals. The difference is that they give for granted that you know how to play fighting games, while this from TN is even a step below (not that I'm saying it as a bad thing).

Honestly I'm thinking that they chosen purposefully Brenda if she really don't know how to play, or maybe they re-created on purpose fake errors: in both the cases you are right that they left the trial and error just for representing the work/efforts for learning the basis, so to increase a feeling of familiarity between the beginner watching the video and her & the process for achieving it. Well done!

Last edited:

Kohlrak

But I believe that Emperor Cow's tutorial released for DoA5 (not the single characters ones, but the first series about the mechanics of the game) are very good for learning basic/fundamentals. The difference is that they give for granted that you know how to play fighting games, while this from TN is even a step below (not that I'm saying it as a bad thing).

This is the problem for everything trying to teach DoA. You almost have to be at a competitive level at those other games (at which point you're less likely to look at other games) to understand the necessary information. This is why it's mostly people already good at DoA who comment on tutorial videos and say "yo, good job." Not saying that they're bad, but we keep beating on a dead horse.

Honestly I'm thinking that they chosen purposefully Brenda if she really don't know how to play, or maybe they re-created on purpose fake errors: in both the cases you are right that they left the trial and error just for representing the work/efforts for learning the basis, so to increase a feeling of familiarity between the beginner watching the video and her & the process for achieving it. Well done!

The issue is going to be, as it goes on, they're going to teach based on her fake mistakes and real mistakes people may end up doing won't end up being the filler, which results in a disconnect. I can only honestly hope that she really has no idea how to play, so that they cater the tutorials accordingly, which will make them more realistic and effective.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
To be honest, even though I played fighting games for awhile, DOA was not hard for me to pick up back on the PS1. The only 3D fighters I really touched during those days were classic titles like Battle Arena Toshiden, Tekken 3, Bushido Blade, etc. Then again, I did dabble with VF2 on my PC a little bit. Point being, it's just obvious that some people can pick up certain fighting games faster than others. I can pick up most fighting games no problem, 2D or 3D. With 2D, I go in treating it like Street Fighter II and then as I continue to play, learn the mechanics of said game. With 3D, most of the time, most of the setups are done in VF style (3 buttons: kick, punch, guard) and strings are easy to learn along with the mechanics of said game. Fighting games are a whole different beast when it comes to video game genres, because while their controls seem simple on the surface, there is quite a bit of skill needed in order to play competently. Even those who are competitive are still finding out new tech with their mains.

Silent-Screams1

Honestly, teaching beginners how to delay and not mash is a great idea, not just for DOA, but for 3D fighters as a whole. Too many beginners just tend to mash their buttons, not knowing that some timing is involved.
This goes for all fighting games tbh lol

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
To be honest DOA is one of the more simple fighting games its a really good game to introduce someone to the 3D fighting world
My friend feels the same way. He dabbled in 3D fighters, but he mainly played SF and anime games. He did play Tekken, but was never really good at Tekken. So, I showed him DOA and he's getting better. Of course I still beat him, but he's learning the fundamentals of spacing, holding, delaying, etc. Now he just needs to work on CB, PB, and PL combos. Lol

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

Yes, Brianna has only been a part of the team for a little over a year now, maybe year and a half. She doesn't come from a fighting game background and doesn't completely understand fighting game terms. At least since I last talked to her when I was there at the Japanese Official tournament a year ago. This was most likely a real tutorial experience and footage.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It interests me is that they are breaking good barriers for this while implementing small jokes for humor, which is awesome.

Question, is it still too late for DOA5LR to have a opening before the press start screen? other FGs do this so I figured why not DOA? you could have DOA5LR in some showcase and just having an opening playing over and over again can draw people in a bit.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD