Team Ninja Twitter

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
It may not necessarily be the Dimensions style story mode. All the DOAs from 2 and on had this style of story mode where each character played a small role in the overall story.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
According to the recent interview it would be dimensions style.

Hyperlink cinema is supposed to involved pop-ups and footnotes and such, and only dimensions ever did that.

DrDogg

The best example was already stated: Dead or Alive Dimensions. Not sure why Pulp Fiction keeps coming up when this exact story telling method was already used in this series.

I don't own a 3DS and have no plans on getting one. I only know one person who owns one and they don't play DOA. So saying it's like DOAD is not a descriptor a lot of people would understand.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Most DoA fans who didn't play Dimensions probably at least watched a few trailers. Regardless, I'd wager more DoA fans played Dimensions than they watched Pulp Fiction. Think about the demographic.

DrDogg

Most DoA fans who didn't play Dimensions probably at least watched a few trailers. Regardless, I'd wager more DoA fans played Dimensions than they watched Pulp Fiction. Think about the demographic.

The demographic has been playing the series for up to 26 years. Not to mention that Pulp Fiction has sold more copies on DVD, et al. than DOAD will ever sell. I think it's a safe bet that more DOA players have seen Pulp Fiction than played DOAD.

And not every trailer for DOAD showed the story mode.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Essentially the presentation is pretty much going to be the same as how MK9 did its Story mode with different chapter concentrating on different characters.

However, I don't recall DOAD letting people play as the non-ninja characters (Helena may be an exception). Then again DOA has a bad story line anyway, so no one would care.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Playing a DOA game for the story is like watching a poorly dubbed chinese film with ridiculous amounts of violence and no discernible plot.

Yea, I mean, it sounds like a complete waste of time and you'd probably want do everything you can do avoid it, but once you start you sorta feel obligated to finish it for some reason.

Plus, Zack Bass and Brad.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Speaking of Bass and story mode, I wonder if any fans made the mention that Bass should be running for office in DOA5...

hell yeah .. BASS for president !

wonder if bass is gonna look more like hulk hogan or not .. lol .. or "hollywood hogan" for that matter :p
and if zack's gonna look more like dennis rodman :p ...

that would acctually be hilarious ...

synce

I didn't use Dimensions as an example because it's not one, from what I've heard anyway. Doesn't it focus on the ninjas? With an ensemble there is no real main character. That's what DOA5 will be. I think MK9 was like this, I only played story mode once and all I remember is this one part where someone yells something like "It's a soul tornado!"

Awesmic

Standard Donor
hell yeah .. BASS for president !

wonder if bass is gonna look more like hulk hogan or not .. lol .. or "hollywood hogan" for that matter :p
and if zack's gonna look more like dennis rodman :p ...

that would acctually be hilarious ...
Nah, dawg... Bass is gonna discover a rare metal called Bassinium and become the ultimate robot master/wrestler.

If Hayabusa can be a secondary grappler, Bass can be a secondary projectile user using charge shots as well as have offensive holds and quick special throws! It's only fair!

And dad-gummit, Zack is gonna look like friggin' Broly!

I didn't use Dimensions as an example because it's not one, from what I've heard anyway. Doesn't it focus on the ninjas? With an ensemble there is no real main character. That's what DOA5 will be. I think MK9 was like this, I only played story mode once and all I remember is this one part where someone yells something like "It's a soul tornado!"
And that soul tornado was carrying a car.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Just a heads up that it's Golden Week in Japan. Although I'm not sure how it affects a dev studio that's in crunch, but typically most general businesses will be closed this week in celebration. Just a heads up that there may be little news on twitter this week.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
^^^ y'know, you could try and convince them to delay your game so that it doesn't get shit on by Tag2.

Speaking of Bass and story mode, I wonder if any fans made the mention that Bass should be running for office in DOA5...
They want to make the game gun metal and grimdark (and lame) so I don't see this happening.

From what we saw in DOAD, TN don't seem to have a grasp of humour either.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Because there's a Rufus Shinra trend going on that SF4 started, and Tekken's answer was a Super Saiyan Mario.

see rufus and bob were both fat kung fu characters ..
but there aint any sumo wrestlers .. (well honda is like sumo on crack .. but .. still lame, turtley and slow i guess)

still i'd like to see diversity in fighting styles, you know ?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD