Tekken

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Maybe because since t6 they weren't fucking people over with $100 season passes with fetish dlc included.

To be fair, frame data is part of the nature routine of FGs. Tekken 7 is a legacy game yeah and I still like it and play it (Suzaku with Geese) but the developers need to keep up with the times and put it in there in training mode. People need to push this rather than fighting it. Doesn't matter if frame data is on a website. Put it in the game next time for those who don't look at those sites. Keep up with the time Namco.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
To be fair, frame data is part of the nature routine of FGs. Tekken 7 is a legacy game yeah and I still like it and play it (Suzaku with Geese) but the developers need to keep up with the times and put it in there in training mode. People need to push this rather than fighting it. Doesn't matter if frame data is on a website. Put it in the game next time for those who don't look at those sites. Keep up with the time Namco.

It was cute at first when fighting games were an overly niche smaller community whereas you had to find out almost EVERYTHING from a game the "hard" way, but fighting games and gaming in general is a lot bigger now and thus it is essentially inexcusable to not have frame data (Even SFV:AE has it now) in game, especially one as big as Tekken 7. It's 2018 now for chrissakes. It's like Harada or Namco don't want newer players to succeed at the game.

Last edited:

Radiance

(Even SFV:AE has it now) .

That half assed frame data only shows the data on block. Like, they couldn't take the time to show start up frames so I can find frame traps...?
f7a5e5acfc5e88de76b775a8866a1fb2fcf1b64ba05c28da6be3d45e9a8cf1c3.jpg

It's like Harada or Namco don't want newer players to succeed at the game.

is frame data really for new/casual players? You could argue it's for transitioning competitive players, but new players won't understand frame details unless theres a proper in game tutorial that breaks down startup/active/recovery frames which no game does. They still have to go online and do some research.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
That half assed frame data only shows the data on block. Like, they couldn't take the time to show start up frames so I can find frame traps...?
f7a5e5acfc5e88de76b775a8866a1fb2fcf1b64ba05c28da6be3d45e9a8cf1c3.jpg

is frame data really for new/casual players? You could argue it's for transitioning competitive players, but new players won't understand frame details unless theres a proper in game tutorial that breaks down startup/active/recovery frames which no game does. They still have to go online and do some research.

Yeah SFV:AE's "frame data" is terrible lol, but that's still more than Tekken 7 has in-game (which is kinda sad...). When I refer to "newer" players, I don't mean casuals or scrubs, I'm referring to newer players to Tekken or the 3D fighter genre, whom may be interested in furthering their capability in the game. Yeah, they could do online research, but at this point the physical game should be giving the players the tools to further their skills (hence why there's training modes in the first place). The lack of any tutorial at all in Tekken 7 is pretty unacceptable by today's standards. I will give props that the T7 Chicken app is amazing however.

Yea, it would be cool if some fighting games could break down frame data related things in-game too. For instance, DOA5LR's Move Details required essentially a full breakdown to understand its capabilities. I know Sly Bass and myself have done breakdowns on the Move Details/Frame Data and MASTER did a short breakdown on it too, at least.

WAZAAAAA

It should be noted that the frame data compiled in wikis and websites is often incomplete or straight up incorrect and prone to human error.
So in-game framedata&hitbox info is always welcome.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Thoughts?

The title is pretty savage and misleading lol. I mean, "Why is VF more important than Tekken" is surely going to get Tekken players triggered. I think what he mentioned within the video is completely different than what the title suggested.

In regards to his point of his video, I still believe VF is an entirely different ball game in terms of depth (which I mean pretty deep), but Tekken can be pretty deep in it's own way. It's how one looks at them I guess.

But damn, that title is straight savagery lololol. I wouldn't be surprised if a Tekken player went into the video, hit pause on the first two seconds without even watching the video fully at all, hit dislike, and just closed the browser.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
The title is pretty savage and misleading lol. I mean, "Why is VF more important than Tekken" is surely going to get Tekken players triggered. I think what he mentioned within the video is completely different than what the title suggested.

In regards to his point of his video, I still believe VF is an entirely different ball game in terms of depth (which I mean pretty deep), but Tekken can be pretty deep in it's own way. It's how one looks at them I guess.

But damn, that title is straight savagery lololol. I wouldn't be surprised if a Tekken player went into the video, hit pause on the first two seconds without even watching the video fully at all, hit dislike, and just closed the browser.

Lol. In the comments section at times it feels like some people did just that. But yeah, the title was very clickbait-y and I got baited :oops:. It's a solid video (though obviously could have been more in-depth with regards to the differences between VF & Tekken), and it seemed fair. The actual video didn't really bash Tekken per se, it just attempted to promote Virtua Fighter more and give it it's due.

Virtua Fighter is deeper than Tekken, though Tekken's depth is perfectly fine for what the game is: a solid 3D fighter series for 3D fighter fans.

Interestingly, some Tekken fans think Tekken's LP, RP, LK, RK control scheme is more intuitive than VF's & DOA's P, K, G, though I still have memories of how awkward learning Tekken 3's strings were compared to just doing PPP, PPK, 6PP~, etc. in VF or DOA lol.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
He featured some DOA5 gameplay also. He just wanted to show games where the VF's such as Akira, Jacky, Sarah, Pai, etc. have been featured (it is technically the best that Sarah has looked). The video was about VF in general and not necessarily just the core games. Though majority of the gameplay featured was that of Tekken (mostly TTT2) and various VF games.

@Radiance Indeed. High level VF is just CRAZY! Though high level Tekken can be fun too at times.

DontForkWitMe

VF will always be the best 3d fighting series. it shits all over Tekken, DOA, and Soul Calibur. Its a shame its deepness, high skill barrier and lack of flashy gimmicks is the reason its the least popular and most likely dead now. I'm going to miss having a pure 3d fighter with no shitty projectiles, shoehorned guest characters, super moves and other nonsense :(

Shirataki Tsume

VF will always be the best 3d fighting series. it shits all over Tekken, DOA, and Soul Calibur. Its a shame its deepness, high skill barrier and lack of flashy gimmicks is the reason its the least popular and most likely dead now. I'm going to miss having a pure 3d fighter with no shitty projectiles, shoehorned guest characters, super moves and other nonsense :(

I always wanted to become good at Virtua Fighter, but I gave up when I kept on getting calluses on my fingers. Virtua Fighter's finger dexterity requirement is extremely high. I never played the VF5 Final Showdown, only the one that was released on 2006 when Akira's Tetsuzankou was still 3K+G 6P 466P+K instead of 3K+G P 466P+K which it was in Final Showdown and DOA5.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
I love the VF mechanics but man does the combo system make me crack tf up.

Characters out here beating on a man who's face is like 10cm away from the ground, getting floated and bouncing off of barriers like a tennis ball lmaoooo

Fix it in the next one Sega *joke*

XxNoriakixX

Amen. But DoA is great too and the closest thing we have in terms of VF gameplay.

Radiance

Soo Noctis. Is a fluid character. He feels natural and not stiff like Akuma and Geese. Great movement, great range for poking and whiff punishing, extremely evasive, can easily get combo you to a wall.

Easter egg; he has some moves from Patroklos in Soul Calibur V and Cervantes win pose

Last edited:

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Does this game not have voice chat? I'm on PC if that makes a difference. I could never figure out how to talk to people online. I mashed buttons when this came out and couldn't figured out how to play so I put it down real quick. Played with Noctis for some reason (the only FF I've ever played was like a half hour of 6 on SNES) and he was kind of fun to projectile spam with but I just see myself putting this down again after a day since I can't make sense of this game.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Soo Noctis. Is a fluid character. He feels natural and not stiff like Akuma and Geese. Great movement, great range for poking and whiff punishing, extremely evasive, can easily get combo you to a wall.

Easter egg; he has some moves from Patroklos in Soul Calibur V and Cervantes win pose

Haha you noticed that too? Well the SC & Tekken teams are within the same office and it seems like a Namco-ish thing to share animations around like that =P. With that said, Noctis feels like a friggin' SC character in Tekken. Dat range on his whiff punishers and the "Nightmare-ish" smacks from his heavy swords look brutal. Basically don't whiff against Noctis Haha. Still unsure on how to play him, but range is indeed his friend.

grap3fruitman said:
Does this game not have voice chat? I'm on PC if that makes a difference. I could never figure out how to talk to people online. I mashed buttons when this came out and couldn't figured out how to play so I put it down real quick. Played with Noctis for some reason (the only FF I've ever played was like a half hour of 6 on SNES) and he was kind of fun to projectile spam with but I just see myself putting this down again after a day since I can't make sense of this game.

What's giving you trouble? Think of Tekken like VF with hopkicks/uppercut-launchers and a different, albeit less complex, movement system. Fundamentally the game is straightforward compared to other 3D fighters including DOA.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD