TGS 2011 Trailer Breakdown

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Honestly, DOA4's trailer at least gave us more system changes on display than DOA5's ha.

fighterKen

If the game's only in pre-alpha now, how do they expect to make a quality release for next year? I'm almost hoping this gets delayed...

While the DOA4-like animations are a little disappointing, I find some of these new environmental interactions interesting.
I'm also curious about the end of the video, where Hayabusa grabbed the ledge; is this merely for show, or are there going to be defensive maneuvers to prevent stage breaks? My instinct tells me that this was only flash for the trailer, but still, what if...

Although I'm still skeptical at this point, I'm trying to remain hopeful as well.

REALDEMO

Standard Donor
If the game's only in pre-alpha now, how do they expect to make a quality release for next year? I'm almost hoping this gets delayed...

While the DOA4-like animations are a little disappointing, I find some of these new environmental interactions interesting.
I'm also curious about the end of the video, where Hayabusa grabbed the ledge; is this merely for show, or are there going to be defensive maneuvers to prevent stage breaks? My instinct tells me that this was only flash for the trailer, but still, what if...

Although I'm still skeptical at this point, I'm trying to remain hopeful as well.

It's actually a very early build, the process goes like something along these lines: * Pre-Alpha > Alpha > Beta > Release. The trailer is by no means a valid representation of the final build, and they seem to emphasize that point in the intro.

Just curious, what do you mean by DOA4-like animations? Do you mean re-using animations?

fighterKen

It's actually a very early build, the process goes like something along these lines: * Pre-Alpha > Alpha > Beta > Release. The trailer is by no means a valid representation of the final build, and they seem to emphasize that point in the intro.

Just curious, what do you mean by DOA4-like animations? Do you mean re-using animations?

Nah, the stuns just reminded me of those from DOA4; however, it's been a LONG time since I've actually played that game, so I could very well be mistaken about that.

As far as the early builds go, I'm perfectly aware that the game can, and will change dramatically as the release date approaches. I'm simply not confident about the game being ready for a 2012 release. I could still be pleasantly surprised; I reallly hope that I am.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Looks pretty cool so far! The one thing that kind of worries me is the addition of supers (or whatever that was that Hayate did). My main fear is that this functions as a comeback mechanic as opposed to a traditional super and that you get the ability to use it after getting wailed on. I probably shouldn't worry about it too much until we're sure how it works though.

Regardless, I'm incredibly pumped for this game! I wonder how many characters they'll be bringing back? Fingers crossed for Helena!

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Looks pretty cool so far! The one thing that kind of worries me is the addition of supers (or whatever that was that Hayate did). My main fear is that this functions as a comeback mechanic as opposed to a traditional super and that you get the ability to use it after getting wailed on. I probably shouldn't worry about it too much until we're sure how it works though.

Regardless, I'm incredibly pumped for this game! I wonder how many characters they'll be bringing back? Fingers crossed for Helena!

I don't believe thats what this is at all. There was a pretty obvious chargeup period right before hand, and for all we know that cinematic looking sequence afterwards could very well demand strictly timed hits. If the hits are actually unholdable (as hayate was attacking from multiple angles it would at least be difficult), so much the better, it means the game has guaranteed damage setups.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
I don't believe thats what this is at all. There was a pretty obvious chargeup period right before hand, and for all we know that cinematic looking sequence afterwards could very well demand strictly timed hits. If the hits are actually unholdable (as hayate was attacking from multiple angles it would at least be difficult), so much the better, it means the game has guaranteed damage setups.

After watching it again, you're right. I suppose I jumped the gun a tad since everybody seems to add comeback mechanics these days, and I was afraid that TN had succumb to peer pressure haha.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
LThe one thing that kind of worries me is the addition of supers (or whatever that was that Hayate did). My main fear is that this functions as a comeback mechanic

You do realize you're talking about a game that has a tradition of letting players escape stun with an attack that does more damage than the attack that put them into that situation right and can be done 95% of the time in the game? ;)

Defensive holds are more of a comeback mechanic than Supers, Ultras, or X-ray attacks.

Gill Hustle

After watching it again, you're right. I suppose I jumped the gun a tad since everybody seems to add comeback mechanics these days, and I was afraid that TN had succumb to peer pressure haha.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a "situational move" like Tekken's EWGF just frame move.

Hayate charged the move obviously, and then flew around the screen (more inputs?), the final hit looked timed but maybe a whole other move could have come out nothing at all.

:confused: I want to know more . . .

It does look overpowering, but DOA is known for this.

REALDEMO

Standard Donor

That would still act as a comeback mechanic, timed inputs or not. The premise of an opponent in permanent disadvantage with no recourse is what was showcased - though like Rikuto said, I use the term recourse lightly, as it wasn't showcased that move(s) can be held or dropped. Though for the sake of discussion, at this point my initial thoughts are that it is a super that can be easily activated with a simple charge, not a cinematic guranteed combo string.
Reasons being:

* Having a strict timed string would only cater to the small demographic of hardcore, something of which goes against the casuality of the series (unless they're looking to 'evolve' DOA5. In that case they would have to lower the damage output of holds, or take them out entirely).
* I watched the video a while ago, but if I'm remembering right- I counted 4 hits in 1.5 seconds at one point of Hayate's move(s). Unless Team Ninja plans to implement a netcode on par with GGPO, that is a major annoyance online. Even Street Fighter 3- largely one of the most technical fighters out there- doesn't have anything of that substance.
* As proven with the recent SF4 fighting boom, casuals like the fact that with a comeback mechanic, they actually have a chance against someone knowledgeable. For them, that makes the game more enjoyable, which in turn = more sales. Soulcalibur is following suit, not to mention a very casual MVC3 and the apparent Tekken X Street Fighter.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
That would still act as a comeback mechanic, timed inputs or not. The premise of an opponent in permanent disadvantage with no recourse is what was showcased - though like Rikuto said, I use the term recourse lightly, as it wasn't showcased that move(s) can be held or dropped. Though for the sake of discussion, at this point my initial thoughts are that it is a super that can be easily activated with a simple charge, not a cinematic guranteed combo string.
Reasons being:

* Having a strict timed string would only cater to the small demographic of hardcore, something of which goes against the casuality of the series (unless they're looking to 'evolve' DOA5).
* I watched the video a while ago, but if I'm remembering right- I counted 4 hits in 1.5 seconds at one point of Hayate's move(s). Unless Team Ninja plans to implement a netcode on par with GGPO, that is a major annoyance online. Even Street Fighter 3- largely one of the most technical fighters out there- doesn't have anything of that substance.
* As proven with the recent SF4 fighting boom, casuals like the fact that with a comeback mechanic, they actually have a chance against someone knowledgeable. For them, that makes the game more enjoyable, which in turn = more sales. Soulcalibur is following suit, not to mention a very casual MVC3 and the apparent Tekken X Street Fighter.

Comeback mechanics suggest that an attack can only be used after getting the crap pummeled out of you to an extent. Busa was clearly taking the majority of the beating in this video (for once), ergo I don't believe it to be such a mechanic.

Casuals already have an easy time playing this game due to counters, they ARE the comeback mechanic for the series. They don't need another one, and hopefully TN realizes this.

Also, I don't imagine the input for that attack would be anymore difficult then kokoro's multipart command throw.

Gill Hustle

Comeback mechanics suggest that an attack can only be used after getting the crap pummeled out of you to an extent. Busa was clearly taking the majority of the beating in this video (for once), ergo I don't believe it to be such a mechanic.

Casuals already have an easy time playing this game due to counters, they ARE the comeback mechanic for the series. They don't need another one, and hopefully TN realizes this.

Also, I don't imagine the input for that attack would be anymore difficult then kokoro's multipart command throw.

Regarding the comeback mechanic, whats to say Hayabusa could NOT have countered the first hit of Hayate's move? He was counter hit during his stance.

And about the motions.

Lisa's Lucha throw has another ender if you don't follow through on the inputs.

*Edit*

The sound effects when the screen fades out, sounds like Hayate's string with the distinct K.O. afterwards, so I am wondering if the part with Ryu hanging was edited in and/or part of story cut scene OR a new mechanic.

Cuz it also reminds me of DOAD's K.O. effect.

:confused:

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Regarding the comeback mechanic, whats to say Hayabusa could NOT have countered the first hit of Hayate's move? He was counter hit during his stance.

And about the motions.

Lisa's Lucha throw has another ender if you don't follow through on the inputs.

*Edit*

The sound effects when the screen fades out, sounds like Hayate's string with the distinct K.O. afterwards, so I am wondering if the part with Ryu hanging was edited in and/or part of story cut scene OR a new mechanic.

Cuz it also reminds me of DOAD's K.O. effect.

:confused:

TBH the whole thing just looks like a "strike" version of Naraku, much like busa has a strike version of Izuna.

Raansu

The charged move at the end just looks like a charged up offense hold to me (similar to charged attacks in doa4). I doubt its some kind of super or any other ridiculous ideas some of you are coming up with.

R4712-VR88

So far I really love everything that I see. But let me state acouple of things I dislike.

I do not like the male announcer. For one he sounds just like the one from Super Street Fighter IV. Secondly DOA has always had a female announcer, so hopefully a female voice will still be selectable. Next is Hayate's charged up attack. No I don't see this as some ultra/x-ray stuff from other fighters. To me its seems each character will have a unique attack when fully charged, like Hayabusa's fireball from DOAD. However I see the attacks being completely unsafe and avoidable. But what I don't like about it is the slow-motion they put in it. I don't want DOA to be slowed down like in Street Fighter. I feel DOA's gameplay needs to stay flawlessly flowing and never slowing down. Lastly I want to mention the title logo. The DOA3 title logo is so out-dated. With the new changes shown so far Team NINJA needs to give this new dark and edgy DOA a new title logo. And honestly I feel that they need to reuse the DOA1 title logo. It fits and looks sick!

One thing I want to discuss real quick is the end with Hayabusa. I see this as a new mechanic for the game. Instead of going off the stage you'll have a chance to get back on it like in Super Smash Bros. I see this as a guessing game, but not a QTE. I think the offense player will have to perform a kick or stomp to get them to fall while the defender will have to guess to change hands to dodge the kick and find a why to get themselves back up onto the stage or possibly grab their leg as they kick and throw the offense player off.

REALDEMO

Standard Donor

If we're basing it off of SF4's mechanic, that's not to say Hayate also took a beating; I counted at least 8 hits which included at least a hold and a Izuna Drop, more than enough to get his life down in todays standard. In retrospect, It could very well be like MVC3 or Garou mark of the Wolves comeback mechanic (i.e. X-factor, no prerequisite as you decide when you want to use it, beginning or end).

Haha, yeah, I'm with you on the casual thing, but by todays standards, let's face it: DOA looks dated. I can understand Team Ninja's decision if it were solely implemented for cosmetics. "Fighting Entertainment" would generally be another point to back up this flashy claim.

Good point, but I'm not actually referring to the difficulty of said move, but rather the timing it takes to execute. If the timing is done by strike, it'd be: P <pause> PPPP <pause 3> P, give or take. Judging by the netcode on DOADimensions and moreso on recent 3D fighters on current gen consoles: I can honestly say at this point, the network can't handle it. It would definitely add more to the combo string claim if DOA5 were local tested in arcades before console release, but Team Ninja stopped doing that for a while. That said, I believe they're taking network limitations into account, as the majority of players will be using online. Pissing off angry reviewers who rant about how "hard it is to execute online" is something Team Ninja probably wants to avoid.

EDIT:
The charged move at the end just looks like a charged up offense hold to me (similar to charged attacks in doa4). I doubt its some kind of super or any other ridiculous ideas some of you are coming up with.

Interesting point, but that would be literally gamebreaking if it were just a charged up OH. It took Hayate 3-4 seconds to charge up, which is about the same time it takes to charge Tina's HCF OH to max. Compare her throw damage to a 6 or 7 (can't remember) cinematic string would be a first in the series, and judging by the lethality of his move, I'd say it packs more of a punch as well. Players online would just set up charged super OH's one after the other. Yikes!

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
If we're basing it off of SF4's mechanic, that's not to say Hayate also took a beating; I counted at least 8 hits which included at least a hold and a Izuna Drop, more than enough to get his life down in todays standard. In retrospect, It could very well be like MVC3 or Garou mark of the Wolves comeback mechanic (i.e. X-factor, no prerequisite as you decide when you want to use it, beginning or end).

Haha, yeah, I'm with you on the casual thing, but by todays standards, let's face it: DOA looks dated. I can understand Team Ninja's decision if it were solely implemented for cosmetics. "Fighting Entertainment" would generally be another point to back up this flashy claim.

Good point, but I'm not actually referring to the difficulty of said move, but rather the timing it takes to execute. If the timing is done by strike, it'd be: P <pause> PPPP <pause 3> P, give or take. Judging by the netcode on DOADimensions and moreso on recent 3D fighters on current gen consoles: I can honestly say at this point, the network can't handle it. It would definitely add more to the combo string claim if DOA5 were local tested in arcades before console release, but Team Ninja stopped doing that for a while. That said, I believe they're taking network limitations into account, as the majority of players will be using online. Pissing off angry reviewers who rant about how "hard it is to execute online" is something Team Ninja probably wants to avoid.

Reviewers are little bitches when it comes to fighting games, they never know what they are doing.

They also usually claim "the online play was relatively lag free" even when it isn't, because they are too casually clueless to know better.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD