TGS 2011 Trailer Breakdown

REALDEMO

Standard Donor
Reviewers are little bitches when it comes to fighting games, they never know what they are doing.

They also usually claim "the online play was relatively lag free" even when it isn't, because they are too casually clueless to know better.

Haha yeah, I stopped reading reviews a looong time ago, for any genre. Sadly, the masses don't agree.

Berzerk!

Great to see another patented Sorwah breakdown! Good discussion here too and what is, seems to be, and potentially is being hinted at in the trailer.

I think ultimately we're not seeing too much new and this is a style statement to let the world know DOA is back. But it does offer a few things, I'm particularly interested in the active dangerzones creating change in the environments, and the possibility of a "ledge mechanic".

Based on the small but telling tweaks in DOAD, I have confidence in Team Ninja to build on the best elements of the game's history. DOA3.1 fans, did you notice the sound and "feel" of the hits were a little nod back to that version? You may say the stun system is still DOA4's but likely too early to say. It will surely be tweaked.

Right now, in DOAD, they have created situations for the attacking player to force the opponent to take big damage of a launch, or punishment out of an incorrect counter (that recovery is meaningful now).

So with the ability to completely revamp the system and movesets ahead of them (obviously not in place yet) I think the principles they applied from DOA4-DOAD coupled with this more serious and stylish visual design, gives more promise for a refined game than at first glance.

For most of the world, it seems to just be cool to see DOA's dynamic, cool and cinematic fighting presentation for the first time in a while. So the trailer succeeds in that regard.

Everyone, keep in mind that this is pre-alpha. I think that they were testing out the battlefield more than anything else and out of that I can say that I'm liking what I'm seeing.

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to intentionally move between areas of the stage. Something like at a certain part of the stage you could press a certain input and that would trigger a position change. To give an example, on the infinite spiral stage, what if when you had your back to the window you could press :4::H+K: to break the window and jump through to the stage below.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Looking through the video again I wanted to take a look at the wall system.

You can see at 0:26:05 that Hayabusa hits Hayate with :2::3::6::K:, and Hayate is lined up back-to-wall. (Link)

Hayate is shown about to contact the wall at 0:26:08. (Link)

The next frame (0:26:09), it shows Hayate fall off the wall as if he was at an angle when hitting. A similar animation plays when you knock the opponent into a wall with their back at an angle to the wall in DOA2/DOA3 and (I think) DOA4. Typically this would cause half the wall damage. (Link)

Let's assume that they have then removed the wall game as it stood in DOA2, DOA3, and DOA4 and it now just causes the half-wall-hit knockdown everytime. All other systems being the same, this means that the wall hits would grant immediate access to the okizeme game, similar to a Slow-escaping player on Wall Crumple in DOA4. This would worry me if it's like this as it negates a lot of the meta wall game established in previous versions.

However, it should be noted that this half-hit knockdown could be caused by one of three things: (1) The trashcans Hayate was knocked into caused a half-hit state negating the wall itself, (2) The circular arena wasn't considered a 'flat spot' to get a wall hit, (3) Knockback after a certain distance causes the half-hit animation instead of the wall sit-down animation now.

Just things to consider, and am wondering what others think if these changes are universal in the system.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
The trashcans are acting like a half wall, thats all it is.

Heck when they busa gets knocked into the explosive wall he even "sticks" to it for a moment before it explodes, so if they left the long range burst slump i cant imagine they got rid of wall combos in general.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yeah, I see that, but that could have also been due to it being the special dangerzone that changes the stage.

Raansu

Looking through the video again I wanted to take a look at the wall system.

You can see at 0:26:05 that Hayabusa hits Hayate with :2::3::6::K:, and Hayate is lined up back-to-wall. (Link)

Hayate is shown about to contact the wall at 0:26:08. (Link)

The next frame (0:26:09), it shows Hayate fall off the wall as if he was at an angle when hitting. A similar animation plays when you knock the opponent into a wall with their back at an angle to the wall in DOA2/DOA3 and (I think) DOA4. Typically this would cause half the wall damage. (Link)

Let's assume that they have then removed the wall game as it stood in DOA2, DOA3, and DOA4 and it now just causes the half-wall-hit knockdown everytime. All other systems being the same, this means that the wall hits would grant immediate access to the okizeme game, similar to a Slow-escaping player on Wall Crumple in DOA4. This would worry me if it's like this as it negates a lot of the meta wall game established in previous versions.

However, it should be noted that this half-hit knockdown could be caused by one of three things: (1) The trashcans Hayate was knocked into caused a half-hit state negating the wall itself, (2) The circular arena wasn't considered a 'flat spot' to get a wall hit, (3) Knockback after a certain distance causes the half-hit animation instead of the wall sit-down animation now.

Just things to consider, and am wondering what others think if these changes are universal in the system.

Except when Ryu got the same animation he rolled off the ground immediately, unlike Hayate who sat there for a second. I think we need to wait until we get a video featuring a different stage till we can make any calls about the wall game. Until then though, I as well am worried that the wall game could be possibly removed in place of a danger zone wall.

SkatanMilla

I don't know if anyone noticed, but Hayabusa 6KK gave knockdown on 2nd hit on normal hit.
In doa4 the 2nd hit would launch on normal hit, this could mean two things.
6K has become a normal hit launcher, so the followup kick flipped him out of the air, OR, they just changed the followup kick to give that hit state instead of being a launcher. Hopefully they made 6K into a NH launcher because that would indicate that they are putting more NH launchers in the game.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
From what I remember doing the frame by frame, the :6::K: didn't launch but put him in an air state, like a gut rising into the air but instantly falling. I know I've seen the stun in DOA4 but can't recall from where at this time. the :6::K::K: just hit Hayate in this air state to knock him out of the air state. I honestly don't believe that the :6::K: put Hayate in a juggle state.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Except when Ryu got the same animation he rolled off the ground immediately, unlike Hayate who sat there for a second. I think we need to wait until we get a video featuring a different stage till we can make any calls about the wall game. Until then though, I as well am worried that the wall game could be possibly removed in place of a danger zone wall.

-IMO, it depends on how much damage the danger zone wall does. If getting knocked into it would cause significant damage, than I would not give a shit about the previous wall games. The focus would now be placed on positioning (ala Doa3), and not getting hit into the wall (ala Doa3). The only difference, there would be no need to figure out what juggle follow up you would use after the wall crumple....but than again, from the trailer, it looked as if Hayate could have attacked Hayabusa as he exploded off the wall, granting him even more damage. This will bring the "Fear" back into getting hit into the wall, something that was totally absent in Doa4.

Fuzzieviking

I hope that if they do decide to have both japanese and english voices, that they'll use the voice actresses in doax2 instead of the ones from dimensions, hitomi sounded funny there xD

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
All the voices sounded funny in DOAD heh. Tina's was a white trash stereotype, not what I would expect of a Rockstar-modeling-actress who wrestles.

page

The hitsparks are incredibly ugly. Influence of Itagaki being gone? He was the one who hated Tekken and loved Virtua Fighter.

It makes sense that they'd use an old engine. They can crank a few things up, but the game still has to run at 60fps on the exact same hardware that Dead or Alive 4 was running on, and supposedly with a lot more going on in the background. They can't get away from that like most other genres do. I wonder if the trend of ps3 fighting games having prodigious slowdown compared to 360 fighting games will continue in Dead or Alive 5.

UNDERX

The gameplay to me looks a lot slower and more realistic. The stun system that was placed in DOA 4 seems to have been removed or dramatically decreased! And another thing worth mentioning is the FACE animations! If you look at Hayates face when he gets hit, You can really see how much the face animations are getting more detailed this time around!

I know they are adding sweat, And as slutty as this sounds I'm secretly hoping that cloths can get WET in water, And you know what happens when a WHITE shirt gets WET lol

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying the game looks slower.

I can't see a single thing from the DOA 5 trailer that looks out of place or unexpected.

Just because the AI chooses not to do certain things doesn't mean any change has been made.

Raansu

I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying the game looks slower.

I can't see a single thing from the DOA 5 trailer that looks out of place or unexpected.

Just because the AI chooses not to do certain things doesn't mean any change has been made.

I'd say it has something to do with the new art direction. The game seemed slower to me at first as well, but only for the first few seconds of the video.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD