The Art of Tenjimon: Kasumi's Combos/Juggles

hey guys, new on the forums here. and i would like to know if someone can give me some tips specially by doing the "cancel" thing during strings, can you guys give me any follow up that i could do with free canceling?. i have been playing with kasumi for some time, and ive learned a few things by reading the forums but sometimes i feel like i am not playing properly with her. sometimes i am very predictable, thats why i want to learn how to do the "cancel" thing. i should say that i am new to fighting games and doa5 is the first fighting game that i care to master. thanks in advance.

Murakame

hey guys, new on the forums here. and i would like to know if someone can give me some tips specially by doing the "cancel" thing during strings, can you guys give me any follow up that i could do with free canceling?. i have been playing with kasumi for some time, and ive learned a few things by reading the forums but sometimes i feel like i am not playing properly with her. sometimes i am very predictable, thats why i want to learn how to do the "cancel" thing. i should say that i am new to fighting games and doa5 is the first fighting game that i care to master. thanks in advance.

This is more gameplay than combo juggle related. I'll answer anyway. All you need to do is hit the guard button during any point of a string, then do something else. Example: :P: :5: :h: :5: :1::K: or :P: :5: :h: :5: :F+P:.

Nightpup

This is more gameplay than combo juggle related. I'll answer anyway. All you need to do is hit the guard button during any point of a string, then do something else. Example: :P: :5: :h: :5: :1::K: or :P: :5: :h: :5: :F+P:.
He's not asking HOW to free cancel, he's asking for good situations to free cancel in. In all honesty Kasumi IMO doesn't need free cancelling, minus a juggle here and there.
But then again I play a nude superpowered jellified version of her so what do I know :V

Murakame

If that's the case then In the middle of :P: strings :3::P: and :6::P:. I wouldn't do it after :1::P: because it only has one unsafe followup and its -9. If they recognize it they can hit a button and catch you if you try to FC it.

Saber

There are two purposes to free-cancelling.

Free-cancel to bait holds - Her 4P is one of her most predictable attacks since it's two mid-punches in a row. Her regular P string is also good for free-cancelling since they're all highs. Her regular K-string is also all highs.

Then, there's the free-cancel to lengthen stuns (or going for a launcher). Generally for Kasumi, you really don't have to free-cancel at all. Most of her strings have the mixups you need, and her buffer time is incredibly short (which is somewhat of a downfall since you can't really delay her strings).

Saber

Almost forgot, when teleporting to the ground with Kasumi, if you want to follow up with an attack different from her Hoshinpo attacks, you'd have to free cancel after herbtelwport if you don't want to mistakenly input the wrong attack.

Murakame

There are two purposes to free-cancelling.
Generally for Kasumi, you really don't have to free-cancel at all. Most of her strings have the mixups you need, and her buffer time is incredibly short (which is somewhat of a downfall since you can't really delay her strings).

This is not entirely correct. Her strings do have good mixups but Kasumi excels when you start free canceling and delaying some strings in order to create even stronger mixups. 3PP. PPP. PP6P. 6PK (the bold are the delayed moves). Those are all good delay-able strings and attacks and there are more off 4P but they are unsafe and not that useful. A Kasumi player should be free canceling 24/7. You have options like P(cancel) grab of your choice, P(cancel) 6PK etc. Kasumi has a fast attack speed so by the time your opponent realizes you have free canceled it's too late for them to respond. They will be counter blown or grabbed if you are competent with your free cancel mixups. Her string follow ups also have to be respected. Using 3P as an example:

You block my 3P. I decide to delay the second P into oblivion. you get counter blown for thinking it was ok for you to attack when it was not.

Next time you block 3P you decide to wisen up and stand there blocking because you expect me to delay it again. I take advantage of your fear and decide to free cancel into something like a jab string, 2P or simply grab.

Free canceling also makes mixups possible that aren't built in string. For example Kasumi has no string that starts with a high punch and is followed by a mid kick. You can create this string by Jab (cancel) 3K. 3K in general is a great mid kick because it's safer than the one in PP6K and the 6K in the string has no mix ups. It's either a High or Low kick end to that string. Anybody that knows this will just block low when they see 6K. Yet another reason to free cancel after that kick and create a mid followup with any of her mid punches or 3K.

Keylay

Here's the ceiling combo I use. It did the same damage as her :4::h::+::K::5::3::h::+::K: but now that :3::h::+::K: is no longer guaranteed, I believe this is her best guaranteed combo from her ceiling throw.

:2::3::6::h::+::P::5::9::P::5::4::P::5::P::K::K::7::K::~::6::P::+::K::K::K: (Damage: 104)

If the opponent stagger escapes the fastest, they'll escape the critcal stun but be left in a back turned state so the launcher will still be guaranteed plus you'll do more damage. Sometimes, I'll just jump over the opponent with :9::P::+::K: and wait a few frames to get a critical stun resest with :6::6::P:

Fastlane

Here's the ceiling combo I use. It did the same damage as her :4::h::+::K::5::3::h::+::K: but now that :3::h::+::K: is no longer guaranteed, I believe this is her best guaranteed combo from her ceiling throw.

:2::3::6::h::+::P::5::9::P::5::4::P::5::P::K::K::7::K::~::6::P::+::K::K::K: (Damage: 104)

If the opponent stagger escapes the fastest, they'll escape the critcal stun but be left in a back turned state so the launcher will still be guaranteed plus you'll do more damage. Sometimes, I'll just jump over the opponent with :9::P::+::K: and wait a few frames to get a critical stun resest with :6::6::P:
That's a badass combo right there. I used it on the temple of dragon and got 159 damage off of high counter throw and wall splat. Thanks for sharing it tho.

ErickBello

The only thing that I don't understand is 9P into 4P (or is 6K?) do you free cancel 4P into PKK7K? 4P does all of that on BT? Hmm, As I'm doing the frame data for 1.03A for Kasumi I have to see that move in the situation.
I'll test it at Home ( in the Home Stage lol) and see how it works.

Keylay

The only thing that I don't understand is 9P into 4P (or is 6K?) do you free cancel 4P into PKK7K? 4P does all of that on BT? Hmm, As I'm doing the frame data for 1.03A for Kasumi I have to see that move in the situation.
I'll test it at Home ( in the Home Stage lol) and see how it works.

After you use 9P to jump over the opponent, you'll be at +25. Once you land, you just do a BT 4P. No free cancelling necessary. I think BT 4P is her most damage launcher.

Here's a CB combo against light weights.

:2::3::6::P::5::K::K::7::K::~::6::P::+::K::5::P::P::6::P::6::K::K:

Murakame

After you use 9P to jump over the opponent, you'll be at +25. Once you land, you just do a BT 4P. No free cancelling necessary. I think BT 4P is her most damage launcher.

Here's a CB combo against light weights.

:2::3::6::P::5::K::K::7::K::~::6::P::+::K::5::P::P::6::P::6::K::K:

Yeah that is correct. It's her most damaging mid P launch. 7K is 1 point more. I also wanted to let you guys know that for the ceiling combo the juggle is the same but it is ended with :P+K: on heavy weights for 100 damage. It could just be my timing though; have you tried it on heavies Keylay?

EDIT: Also Kasumi can get an untechable for around +9 on midweights using 7K at max threshold. the juggle is :7::K: :~: :P+K: :K: :5: :7::K: :5: :P+K:. Her range from the opponent varies but you will always be in range for her tracking moves (H+K, P+K, 6K, I haven't tested 1K yet.). It can be done on lightweights as well but the distance of the opponent post FT is screwed in open stance. In closed stance you are golden. Any move of your choice will hit.

Keylay

Yeah that is correct. It's her most damaging mid P launch. 7K is 1 point more. I also wanted to let you guys know that for the ceiling combo the juggle is the same but it is ended with :P+K: on heavy weights for 100 damage. It could just be my timing though; have you tried it on heavies Keylay?

EDIT: Also Kasumi can get an untechable for around +9 on midweights using 7K at max threshold. the juggle is :7::K: :~: :P+K: :K: :5: :7::K: :5: :P+K:. Her range from the opponent varies but you will always be in range for her tracking moves (H+K, P+K, 6K, I haven't tested 1K yet.). It can be done on lightweights as well but the distance of the opponent post FT is screwed in open stance. In closed stance you are golden. Any move of your choice will hit.

:P::+::K: for heavy weights. Forgot to mention that.

I just realized that after the last patch, the last kick of :P::P::6::P::6::K::K: always hits.

This is not entirely correct. Her strings do have good mixups but Kasumi excels when you start free canceling and delaying some strings in order to create even stronger mixups. 3PP. PPP. PP6P. 6PK (the bold are the delayed moves). Those are all good delay-able strings and attacks and there are more off 4P but they are unsafe and not that useful. A Kasumi player should be free canceling 24/7. You have options like P(cancel) grab of your choice, P(cancel) 6PK etc. Kasumi has a fast attack speed so by the time your opponent realizes you have free canceled it's too late for them to respond. They will be counter blown or grabbed if you are competent with your free cancel mixups. Her string follow ups also have to be respected. Using 3P as an example:

You block my 3P. I decide to delay the second P into oblivion. you get counter blown for thinking it was ok for you to attack when it was not.

Next time you block 3P you decide to wisen up and stand there blocking because you expect me to delay it again. I take advantage of your fear and decide to free cancel into something like a jab string, 2P or simply grab.

Free canceling also makes mixups possible that aren't built in string. For example Kasumi has no string that starts with a high punch and is followed by a mid kick. You can create this string by Jab (cancel) 3K. 3K in general is a great mid kick because it's safer than the one in PP6K and the 6K in the string has no mix ups. It's either a High or Low kick end to that string. Anybody that knows this will just block low when they see 6K. Yet another reason to free cancel after that kick and create a mid followup with any of her mid punches or 3K.

yeah, this is kinda what i was looking for, it's very helpful, thanks

ErickBello

Oh About the Keylay Ceiling Combo and the Murakame Untechable...
If you do :236::H+P::5::9::P::5::4::P::5::P::K::K::7::K::~::6::P+K::K::K: next to a breakable wall you can do :7::K::~: :6::P+K::K::~::7::K::5::P+K: it has a very strict timing btw

And even you can :236::H+P::5::9::P::5::4::P::5::P::K::K::7::K::~::6::P+K::K::h: :7::K::~: :6::P+K::K::~::7::K::5::P+K:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Another heavyweight Juggle: For 236T, 1T on crouch or 46H: KK7K 6P+K PP6P6KK

87 on 236T counter, 102 hi counter
83 on 46H counter
77 on counter on 1T

The other 1 I mentioned the last time 7K KK7K 6P+K 6P+K KK works too on 46H it's 84 on open stance or open space, 89 with the wall splat. Just thought I'd bring it up again because of the 1 point difference between this & KK7K 6P+K PP6P6KK.

Ridge

Oh About the Keylay Ceiling Combo and the Murakame Untechable...
If you do :236::H+P::5::9::P::5::4::P::5::P::K::K::7::K::~::6::P+K::K::K: next to a breakable wall you can do :7::K::~: :6::P+K::K::~::7::K::5::P+K: it has a very strict timing btw

And even you can :236::H+P::5::9::P::5::4::P::5::P::K::K::7::K::~::6::P+K::K::h: :7::K::~: :6::P+K::K::~::7::K::5::P+K:

Wow this sounds good but I cant pull it off. Do you think you can make a small video showing this? This first combo is strict and I dont have the speed for the second combo :confused:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Heres 2 ceilings I found off 46H besides 33K:

When the opponent hits the ceiling, & them hits the wall, both 9K and 4H+K bounces. Giving you a free PKK7K 6P+K KK. The opponent can't recover from it once they land after the launcher. I checked the recovery as well. So thats automatic damage. Damages were up to 96 or more. 100 or more with the wall.

These also have a breakable wall juggle. after the bounces, PKK7K use 6P+K i(nstead of 6P+KKK) then 7K 6P+K for untechable.

Shade

finally sat down and actually practiced with the patch. the loss of a good guaranteed launcher after 4H+K and wall slam 3k reealllly hurts lol

ErickBello

finally sat down and actually practiced with the patch. the loss of a good guaranteed launcher after 4H+K and wall slam 3k reealllly hurts lol
But if you get a counter 3K, it's a good tool to get out of the pressure and do a very damaging combo, because that in CH is +8 (if I remember well, but I think it's +12, I'll edit this when I verify)

Also I have a combo.
:3::P::P::5::K::K::P::5::P::K::K::7::K::~::6::P+K::K::~::7::K::P+K: 135 Damage, and untechable. Also you can do the variant with :6::P+K::K::K: and it's 124

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD