The Darkstalkers Thread

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
So with the recent announcement of the Darkstalkers Revival collection, I think now's the appropriate time to make this thread. I've been playing Darkstalkers since 95, and I can't tell you how excited I am for people to finally get the chance to play these games. I don't know if we're going to see any growth in the competitive scene (in fact I doubt it), but it's still nice to see Capcom paying attention to the best fighting games they've ever made. I'm mainly a Hunter/NW player (I prefer it over Savior for numerous reasons), and despite several failed attempts to promote my game and build an offline scene, hopefully I and the other Vampire players here on FSD can convince some of you to give this series a chance!

I've run out of stuff to say, so here's a video of Daigo beasting with Donovan:

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Ah damn. I search and nothing came up so I thought I was in the clear. Ah well. Hopefully a mod can just merge these together or something.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
I don't really care if they make a HD version of Darkstalkers. I already have the PSP game, and the one on Dreamcast. If they make a new one I might get it if it's good. But considering Capcom of today and how they're handling their fighters I most likely won't care for it. It may be regrettable to fans.

d3v

I don't really care if they make a HD version of Darkstalkers. I already have the PSP game, and the one on Dreamcast. If they make a new one I might get it if it's good. But considering Capcom of today and how they're handling their fighters I most likely won't care for it. It may be regrettable to fans.
Neither the PSP nor DC game are arcade perfect. The only close to arcade perfect port of VSav (which face it, is really the only one that matters) is the one in the PS2 collection, and that requires playing with the dipswitches.

Now consider the fact that Iron Galaxy is working on this game, this is the same team that brought us the arcade perfect ports of MvC1 and MSH in the MvC:Origins collection. Both of which are the most arcade perfect ports of those games, right down to running at the CPS2's 11.8Mhz (as compared to 16mhz that most emulators like MAME and FBA run those games at).

In addition to that, they do alot of things right for their recent collections.
-GGPO netcode, aka the best GODDAMN netcode for fighting games, period.
-Ping numbers for connection speed.
-PC style, push to set, button configuration... at the character select screen.
-Manual region selection

Heck, GGPO alone is worth the price of entry.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
The only close to arcade perfect port of VSav (which face it, is really the only one that matters)

Says who exactly? I don't understand why Savior players look down on Hunter so much. It's a more balanced and all around better game IMO, and I'm not the only one who feels that way. People still play the game, it gets solid numbers in Japan at DCC every year, and it's not any less viable competitively than Savior is. Besides, Savior isn't for everybody. What's the harm in presenting Hunter as a legitimate alternative? It would only strengthen the scene. If you make it sound like Savior is the only Darkstalkers game worth playing, people will walk away from DS as a whole if they don't like it. If more DS players hyped up Hunter, maybe people who hated Savior will take a shine to Hunter since it's the more accessible and easier to play of the two, and we would have more people playing DS as a result, which should really be the goal.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Saturn port of VSav also arcade perfect if you have the RAM expansion?

d3v

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Saturn port of VSav also arcade perfect if you have the RAM expansion?
Saturn version has cut frames of animation and, more importantly, links that aren't possible in the arcade version.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
I just don't care for capcom fighters and to rebuy anything no matter how "arcade perfect" they are. I'm fine with the one I have. Also I still have Nightwarriors for Saturn.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Saturn version has cut frames of animation and, more importantly, links that aren't possible in the arcade version.

Really? I didn't know that. I'm assuming the links are possible because some of the frames that are cut in the Saturn version are recovery frames?

TRI Mike

I have never understood what's the difference between each version of Darkstalkers. All this talk about Savior and NW and Hunter confuses me. Please someone explain.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
I have never understood what's the difference between each version of Darkstalkers. All this talk about Savior and NW and Hunter confuses me. Please someone explain.

Vampire Hunter/Night Warriors is the same game. It's the second in the series. Hunter is the Japanese name for the game, but when it was released in the US and Europe it was retitled Night Warriors: Darkstalker's Revenge. It's worth noting that there are some minor differences between versions. NW fixed several bugs and glitches that were present in the original Japanese release of the game, and it also included some (but not many) balance tweaks. As a result, the tier list is slightly different between Hunter and NW. The Japanese don't play NW for this reason, which is why nobody really plays the game on GGPO, since NW is the supported version. In Japan, the original version of Hunter is still the competetive standard, while NW is the standard in the West. It should be noted though, that the difference between versions is very slight, and all combos and strategies for all characters should work in both Hunter and NW. This makes it easy to jump between both versions.

Vampire Savior is the third game in the series, and was released in the US and Europe as Darkstalkers 3. To the best of my knowledge, there is no difference between the Japanese and US/EU versions of the game, although Dev would probably know for sure.

The difference between Hunter and Savior is night and day. Both games are incredibly solid and hold up well in competitive play though, so it basically comes down to personal preference. Savior is more fast paced and technical, and to say it's rushdown oriented would be an understatement. Hunter is a little bit slower and doesn't require as much technical skill as Savior (although it is slightly more execution heavy than your average fighter), and it also has a stronger focus on defense. Basically, if you like fast paced, technical fighters that revolve around momentum and rushdown, then Savior is your game. If you enjoy games that are a little bit slower and have more of an emphasis on zoning and footsies/poking, then you'd probably enjoy Hunter more. There's also a difference in characters. Donovan, Pyron, and Phobos were all present in Hunter, but absent in the arcade release of Savior (which is the competitive standard). They were replaced with Jedah, Lilith, B.B. Hood, and Q. Bee. There are some more differences between the games as they relate to the game system itself, but you probably get the gist of it.

Sorry for the essay haha.

TRI Mike

No, it's fine. I am actually very interested in knowing this.

When I search any of the games in youtube though, they look the same. Do they use the same sprites and stages¿ I have the PSP version of DarkStalkers: The Chaos Tower or something like that and it lets me change from gameplay styles but I never quite understood what the differences were. Darkstalkers games are very confusing to me.

d3v

Series arcade release titles with the US name on the left and the Japanese name on the right:
  • Darkstalkers: the Night Warriors (US) / Vampire: the Night Warriors (Japan)
  • Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge (US) / Vampire Hunter: Darkstalkers Revenge (Japan)
  • Vampire Savior: the Lord Of Vampire (US) / Vampire Savior: the Lord Of Vampire (Japan)
Darkstalkers 3 was only the name of the US home console port of VSav, although the game was originally supposed to be called "Darkstalkers 3: Jedah's Damnation" in the arcades.

VSav 2 and VHunter 2 are updates of VSav with certain characters replaced. The reason some characters were cut from VSav was because they couldn't fit them into the CPS2's ROM (should give you an indication of how much more complex these sprites were compared to other CPS2 games). In addition to the characters, certain gameplay elements were changed, air chains and dash links were removed, and everyone's Dark Force was made into the same thing (previous, unique Dark Forces became supers for some characters).

EDIT:
Last I checked, there are no known differences between the different regional versions of VSav. In any case, the standard used competitively throughout the world is the May 19, 1997 (970519) build.

TRI Mike

What are the differences between Darkstalkers and Street Fighter¿ I've never really been into any of the series (I was a UMK3 and Killer Instinct player before moving to DOA) and from simply looking at gameplay videos they seem similar.

d3v

Darkstalkers pioneered chain combos. Most every 2D FG with a chain system owes its existence to the Hunter Chains introduced in VH. Savior on the other hand is its own beast. It's a fast paced game that has a heavy emphasis on oki. The most distinct thing about Savior is the stock system where, instead of rounds, each character has stocks of life and "rounds" flow nearly seamlessly into the next no position reset and only a bit of life recovery for the winning player. Think Killer Instincts rounds or KoF/CvS but without teams.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Another difference between the games is that Savior introduced a mechanic known as tech hitting. When you're put into blockstun, you have a certain number of frames to press all six (if you can) buttons. It breaks down like this:

3 buttons: 25% chance of successful tech
4 buttons: 50% chance of successful tech
5 buttons: 75% chance of successful tech
6 buttons: 100% chance of successful tech

If a tech hit is successful, it will push the opponent back, and how far back they are sent depends on the strength of the last button hit. Savior is not a defense heavy game, but this is a crucial mechanic at high levels of play.

Also, Savior allows you to utilize chain combos in the air. In Hunter, all air normals must be linked instead of chained.

d3v

Tech hit is basically an early implementation of push blocking.

Air chains are in VSav only, not VS2 nor Hunter2.

PSP version is basically a port if Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service on the DreamCast. It's basically the " Hyper" version of DS that allows you to play all versions if the characters from each iteration.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Wasn't DS3 and VS1 the samething except DS3 added a couple of characters that wasn't in VS or some crap?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD