The Dead Or Alive Meme & Gif Thread

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
1rruhk.jpg

@Chapstick @Aerospark @Force_of_Nature @Xernuht

-_-

Your LeiFang needs to die in a fire... :leifang:

Chapstick

Wow, this looks like it's from some PS2 game. D: Low polygon modeling, ugly low res textures and stiff animations.
That monkey's in one scene in the entire game and with limited time and a limited budget they probably didn't want to spend much time on it. It goes for a lot of stuff in story mode and the original stages but I don't know what their excuse is now with the new content that looks bad

Tyaren

Standard Donor
That monkey's in one scene in the entire game and with limited time and a limited budget they probably didn't want to spend much time on it. It goes for a lot of stuff in story mode and the original stages but I don't know what their excuse is now with the new content that looks bad

There were monkeys with real fur in DOA4. Even the exact same type of monkeys. Why didn't they take one of them?

monkey.jpg

Chapstick

There were monkeys with real fur in DOA4. Even the exact same type of monkeys. Why didn't they take one of them?

View attachment 14042
Why don't they use the same high poly shoulders for the santa outfits? Why didn't they use the polygons in Busa's c1 and Bayman's scuba suit for their butts in their fighter outfits? The world will never know

Chapstick

Because they can.
It literally took more effort to create a new model for their butts and legs (though not by much if you look at the polys :/) than to copy and paste stuff that's already made then retexture and create bare feet to stick on the bottom. At least a I think it does @Tyaren how does that work since you know about game design

Tyaren

Standard Donor
It literally took more effort to create a new model for their butts and legs (though not by much if you look at the polys :/) than to copy and paste stuff that's already made then retexture and create bare feet to stick on the bottom. At least a I think it does @Tyaren how does that work since you know about game design

Yes, of course it takes more time redoing a model. But I now think it probably is the exact same monkey just without the fur shader... They might not have been able to implement the fur with DOA5's graphic engine, which generally seems to have problems with rendering fur. Even though there are some rare examples of outfits with furry parts, but they don't look very convincing. Oh well, I sometimes really think, the design choices made in DOA5 make no sense at all and are just for the lulz. It's the same with the ugly textures in Last Round, even though it would have been easily possible to swap the textures out for higher resolution ones. But instead they thought the "Soft Engine" was more important and would make DOA5LR look considerably better. Honestly, Last Round would look half as dated and would look just as good as Tekken 7 even, if they would have just exchanged the most offending ground textures in some of the stages. :/
This is unacceptable on a PS4:

15100509768_736918ecd5_o.jpg

Chapstick

The DOA5 stages do have polygon and texture issues but you have to admit they're very detailed. Most stages have a lot of stuff in them and Lorelei even has a full size 3D modeled second castle all the way off in the distance (I think the rig in the distance of fuel is the same way). Crimson may be less impressive texture-wise than it could be for a PS4 exclusive stage but goddamn is it full of stuff with all the wires and buildings and tv antennas then a full bottom as well.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The DOA5 stages do have polygon and texture issues but you have to admit they're very detailed. Most stages have a lot of stuff in them and Lorelei even has a full size 3D modeled second castle all the way off in the distance (I think the rig in the distance of fuel is the same way). Crimson may be less impressive texture-wise than it could be for a PS4 exclusive stage but goddamn is it full of stuff with all the wires and buildings and tv antennas then a full bottom as well.

Polygons are not nearly as taxing to an engine/a system as high resolution textures and shaders. That's why Crimson and Fireworks look so detailed with lots of stuff but the textures are still shitty. DOA6 has to be developed for a completely new engine to really look considerably better.

KwonJigglypuff

They wanted to focus on the character models rather than the stages. It's an artistic choice. I'm okay with that.
If we ask them, maybe they will put more effort on the stages in future games.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
They wanted to focus on the character models rather than the stages. It's an artistic choice. I'm okay with that.

That's less an artistic choice and more a technical necessity.
If DOA 6 is build from ground up for PS4/Xbone, there will also be no need for asking them nicely for nicer stages. It should really be possible to have both, nice characters and stages.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Tekken's ground textures don't look that good either. Not many fighters have good ground textures if they are 3D fighters, walls are usually as good as they get and they even get shafted. Keep in mind that LR on PS4/One are ported from PS3/360 and at higher resolutions, not too many things were upgraded during the port (looking at the Dishonored port as well). If you had to port another copy of the same game for the nth time you wouldn't want to upgrade everything every single time just to make an audience and users that are more focused on the action of the fight rather than "that first spot on the ground looks like shit, I am distracted." The whole thing is like costumes to serious competitors while playing, could be playing stick figures and it wouldn't take notice until "Get Ready" and "Winner" before you remember that you chose the figure with the orange hat and not the purple one. I sure as hell don't pay attention to outfits and arena appearances until matches are over and remember "Oh yeah, that's Fork's outfit I picked for Leon and these dst particles are obscuring the surrounding environment."

Just take it as it is and live with it, the nitty gritty details aren't there because that is not what the developers expect you to look at based on their target audience. If you look at a lot of games that were made for 360/PS3 and the textures aren't flashing, vibrating, have something like grass protruding from them, or have some special effect going on and aren't a specific landmark chances are the textures aren't that great. There are lots of ways to hide textures, some companies just make it difficult to notice. Even if you look at a lot of modern textures there are still a big number of games that the textures aren't where they could be.

SoftCabbage

Welcome to the future gaming.

Remasters back in the day: re-worked to turn the old stuff into new product that's up to date after being re-exported. The improvement would be very notable.

Remasters today: more particle/vegetation density, brighter light, sometimes slightly higher textures. Sometimes even skip all that, slap 1080p and re-export

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Games are also expensive as shit to develop in this generation compared to "back in the day". Games are miles more complex graphically than they were, like, 20+ years ago.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD