The DOA5LR Mila General Discussion Thread

Intelligent Alpha

But yeah, that's why people think that mila players are "spamming grab" lol. The reality is that literally everything she does leads to it in some way.

Yep! The thing is though, I'm sure you just don't mindlessly use it like that! No worse than Tina's overhead kick>HKD>ground grab string. But that's the problem, much like Phase 4s teleshit, but I won't get into that!

But how many characters are robust vs. basic? I saw this argument on FB regarding the ninjas and how you only get those + hitomi (for a limited time). TBH, the ninjas (including Phase + Alpha) are basic! Then you got Rachael, Genfu, Christie! The list goes on. But honestly, these characters are basic because if they weren't, players wouldn't "showoff" with them and then dog you when you don't bring the lightshow! KWIM?

I mean, basically all characters can win with one or two moves! Mine's at the top of the list! That's sad actually which is why I rarely if ever use them! I don't wanna show off!

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
I tried to make a summary to another player on SRK in relation to Mila's game plan.
To add on to what Sorwah said about Mila, she is one of the few characters that do not need to play the stun game as much. Mila can get a lot of guaranteed damage from her TD series. A lot of players tend to look at Mila as if she is the "Makoto" (SFIV) or the "Takuma" (KOF) of this game (with other characters such as Leon and recently Phase-4 fitting into such a category. Much like Makoto and Takuma of their respective fighting game series, Mila has high damage output but requires the player to actually understand a great deal about the game mechanics/meta-game in itself).

P+K is a decent whiff punisher that causes the sit down stun in which the player can hold from for a period of time. The reason why Mila does not have to resort to the stun game as much (though it usually leads to 40%~60% life combos if she does depending on the players end game... which is also why it is still a great idea to have a good grasp on "DOA" fundamentals) is because she still eats 40%~60% of your life anyway from her juggles due to her TD being used as a combo ender, even without Critical Bursts.

Mila can also poke around with things like 6P, 66P (a veyr good move) or 4K for example, the latter wwhich can transition to her TD mix ups or the TD itself if the opponent is just blocking while standing. Mila also has 4K+H which has good range and stop the momentum of the opponent from a 1~2 character width distance should they choose to attack at some point at the mid range.

6T is a throw that will provide Mila with a guaranteed K (you can choose to input KP but that would require discretion due to the fact that the P is holdable). If the opponent keeps trying to hold you, you loop 6T K... then you can make a read into a mix up that which may lead into a potentially high damaging combo. If the opponent... has a strange obsession with holds... Mila can just tear them to pieces with easy throws and the TD (SS~TD / SS~TD~H feint into... other good stuff).

Go to moves for setting up the stun are:
4PK
4PP (You can choose to follow through for TD or the mix ups that follow after TD)
7PP (go into TD/TD follow ups/mix ups)
1P+K (This is a mid that causes stun on NH and crushes highs)
P+K
(Then there are options on CH that you need to consider)

Other moves to note are Mila's 1P, 2P, 1P+K, 2K+H. These go underneath a lot of stuff but make sure you time these so that the opponent can not react to them easily. Keep safety in mind as well.
6P will stun on CH and it is one of Mila's quicker mids. You have her TD cancel P which is actually a i9 frame mid punch after the transition (REMEMBER THIS).

Then there is 3K+H which is a forward rolling somersault kick that is safe(ish) on block. When you successfully whack the opponent with this move, immediately go for 2T for the TD follow ups for guaranteed damage.

Another thing to note is her 1K+HP follow ups. This is a low that will stun on NH. The attack looks the same as 2KP inputs but the variant I speak about simply produces stun on NH while 2K gets the stun on CH. You can also go into 1K+H from a handful of her other strings. You can stop the kick altogether if you fear that the opponent is going to react to it (hold down on K+H).

When you produce the stun, Mila should go for the launch. Because, even if you don't go for the stun game, Mila can still run the train on the opponents health bar anyway from her juggles as well as her 2T after dishing out a hard knock down.

A generic combo would be...
* stun *, * launch *... then you have... the juggles:
- P6PP P+K 2T Ender for TD
- P6PP P6P6P if you don't want TD yet
- 4PT~H P+K6P for secondary knock back option.

(These are just examples)

Use those kinds of juggles to your advantage bur make sure you also take the opponents weight and the environment into consideration too.

In terms of match ups, Mila needs to be cautious around characters with high mobility options and/or i9 frame jabs. Careful spacing and movement plays a critical role in a game such as this. Another thing to consider is that Mila's move set is a bit... smaller than average. But, the thing about this is that she the mire practical tools in helping the player win. For subs / MU adjustments pick a character that is relatively fast or compliment Mila's game play (example, I sub Helena and Pai for this very reason. Be sure to have a back up plan. Otherwise, if you have potentially weak match up on your behalf if you are playing Mila, resort to careful, compact and movement based play while adapting to the opponent).

Overall, Mila is a relatively solid, character but can still be slightly underrated. Recently Gill Hustle played her at another tournament and tore several players up.

In retrospect, the player also does not "need" to rely on CB to get real damage from Mila. Mila can easily just play the the short term stun and launch game mainly from how her juggle combos are arranged (she has plenty of useful launchers to play that role like 6K+H, 8K, TD~H feint~K, etc). Upon getting the juggle, Mila needs to simply get the hard knockdown and TD the opponent for either the P or T option (you can go either way on the mount because you're still going to get extra damage anyway... assuming that the Mila player has the throw combo timing down. If the you wish to play the stun game, some moves to keep in mind are things like 3K, 1P+K, and especially 7K for example (7K can be extremely annoying, even for players who are aware of the MU). Bonus points if you... DO score a CB, a counter hit (which WILL happen often if you're sharp enough) or manage to encounter an environmental situation. Because, from either of those situations, that's essentially half (or more if you're scoring keep scoring counter/hi counter hits) life, even if you're not using CB's.

Last edited:

TOMA SAN

Standard Donor
@Hurricane Rev
if you can see a changes, mila appears on the video at 16 : 58 ;)
unfortunately, its the IA and i think the level is 2 lol i hope next time he fight against IA level 8 its more difficult for her little honoka

Hurricane Rev

@Hurricane Rev
if you can see a changes, mila appears on the video at 16 : 58 ;)
unfortunately, its the IA and i think the level is 2 lol i hope next time he fight against IA level 8 its more difficult for her little honoka

Yeah, we didn't get to see that much Mila gameplay from that video and I'm assuming that Mila will still be the same as to how she was in Ultimate, which is a good thing because she is still a good character lool. But it is a shame that she hasn't got anything new.

I want to see more footage of her but saying that, Its only a few more weeks until Last Round comes out. So the weeks leading up to the game release should go past really quick :)

synce

She's already been nerfed to the ground so I think TN will leave her alone. Definitely not expecting buffs

Raze

They have her change log up, seems like they made her cancels easier execution if i'm reading it right (scrubs think it was too hard to cancel I guess?), if so that's really pitiful. Her 7K nerf is still intact, no return of it's original properties in sight... I was gonna get this on PC as some VF friends wanted to get into DOA via the PC version of the game, but i'll likely skip it altogether and advise them to do the same. I can't respect all the crying and how badly it's affected this character via never ending nerfs. VF and Ultra (where they actually buffed Decappa a new character to the roster) should be good enough until SF5 drops. The DOA players that have come over to VF have honestly been pretty terrible, bad play doesn't get rewarded with nerfs from SEGA AM2 so they are like fish out of water I guess.

I wish all the Mila players goodluck with Team Ninja's Red Headed stepchild.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Some of the nerfs make sense. The whole roster has received launcher and advantage throw nerfs, I want to say Mila was the only character who got advantage of her low tracking punch, high crushes in general are being adjusted (so hopefully mid crushes are going away).

Need better wording to understand the 4K because I have no idea what to make of that.

The only change that I can't wrap my head around is the takedown cancels. I guess casuals don't like having to move fingers too much to get her cancels, not like it actually was hard. Also makes me wonder how her cancels from strikes will work but those will probably stay the same.

Argentus

They have her change log up, seems like they made her cancels easier execution if i'm reading it right (scrubs think it was too hard to cancel I guess?), if so that's really pitiful. Her 7K nerf is still intact, no return of it's original properties in sight... I was gonna get this on PC as some VF friends wanted to get into DOA via the PC version of the game, but i'll likely skip it altogether and advise them to do the same. I can't respect all the crying and how badly it's affected this character via never ending nerfs. VF and Ultra (where they actually buffed Decappa a new character to the roster) should be good enough until SF5 drops. The DOA players that have come over to VF have honestly been pretty terrible, bad play doesn't get rewarded with nerfs from SEGA AM2 so they are like fish out of water I guess.

I wish all the Mila players goodluck with Team Ninja's Red Headed stepchild.
...Nerfs? Not seeing it.

Minor damage reductions mean nothing so long as she still has her tools. Sides, they aren't nerfing any of her real damage dealers (mounts), just two "light" attacks, which aren't meant for their damage anyway.

And if I'm interpreting things right, Canceling the mount with punches and kicks instead of just a feint could be outright DEVASTATING and a hell of a buff in and of itself.

Some of the nerfs make sense. The whole roster has received launcher and advantage throw nerfs, I want to say Mila was the only character who got advantage of her low tracking punch, high crushes in general are being adjusted (so hopefully mid crushes are going away).

Need better wording to understand the 4K because I have no idea what to make of that.

The only change that I can't wrap my head around is the takedown cancels. I guess casuals don't like having to move fingers too much to get her cancels, not like it actually was hard. Also makes me wonder how her cancels from strikes will work but those will probably stay the same.

4k just sounds like they are differentiating it more from her 7k. Her 7k is her real "attack", while the 4k is more of a light push meant for leading to mount or doubletapping to knock opponents back.

On the mount....I want to know if this means you'll go straight into a punch/kick from trying to mount, or if it means p and k will ALSO cause feint, or what?

If it was really a matter of ease of execution, they would never have changed the SS mount to 6T, so I think this may be more about adding more options and tools, like Ultimate gave more use to the feint with the gatling punch.

TOMA SAN

Standard Donor
i think the best sad news to mila payers its the nerf about his 1P
on DOA5U +2 on NH
on DOA5LR -2 on NH

here the changes for mila
Sans titre.jpg

TOMA SAN

Standard Donor
hum i play always with a strong pressing and if i see my character lose one of his frame trap on +2 i dont like this, but if you play with other weapon of mila no matter ;)

Argentus

hum i play always with a strong pressing and if i see my character lose one of his frame trap on +2 i dont like this, but if you play with other weapon of mila no matter ;)
lol yeah these changes don't really affect grappler milas, just rushdown milas.

But like I said, none of these changes are "nerfs" so much as "minor adjustments".

mpgeist

Standard Donor
When it say NH is that normal hit? Does that mean if its a counter then it works as it did before?

synce

Am I remembering wrong or did they not already nerf 1P and TD 2P before? And now they're reversing the 4K nerf? There's really no rhyme or reason to TN's "balancing"... Although the buff to TD cancels seem interesting. Which moves are currently only H cancellable? It's been a long while since I used Mila

Something-Unique

On the contrary the nerf to 1P/TC 2P does effect her wakeup.

On wakeup that technique I used to do where I would TC into P+K couldn't be beaten if they teched when done on the correct frames. This is probably still true if they haven't stealth messed with her cancel speed like they did before which wasn't in patch notes. Doing TC 2P on the same frames as P+K was a mixup that also couldn't be beaten and yes I'm referring to even against the fastest characters. Was going to write that in the Mila bible I got around to. So on wakeup if they teched the advantage was there on the mixup from TC 2P now its useless.

Where as generic 1P the Nerf isn't as annoying since her 2P is still there and 2H+K is more than enough.

During wakeup with that tech trap setup I used to use now though she went from a fully tracking low P and mid P to a now useless fully tracking tech trap low P because it now leaves her with no advantage.

Its the same concept as her TD cancel speed in Vanilla where you could fit TDC P, TDC K, and TDC out completely into generic P and all would fit in the stun window giving u mid P, mid K, and high P. Where in ultimate she only has mid P, and mid K.

Basically her mixup options were neutered again.

Something-Unique

Perfect off the top example of what im referring to is 8:43-8:48 in the last match of this video. There is nothing in his arsenàl or any character that can beat out TD cancel 2P once teched if u manipulate the frames right leaving me at +2 with his back to wall and full track.

Notice I did the other option at 8:08-8:13 from TD cancel once he teched that also can't be stepped or beaten out by any character and he got hit cause he chose to duck from throw or 2P.

Also your opponent wants to tech vs Mila as perfected OS's will always leave her at +6 no mount or mount if they don't tech.

The setups and system was perpetual. But now mixup was removed again. The nerfs are collective and it might not seem like much to most. In particular anyone who doesn't really understand the character but as I said a long time ago it all adds up but you just don't see it.

The above is the video.

Argentus

Perfect off the top example of what im referring to is 8:43-8:48 in the last match of this video. There is nothing in his arsenàl or any character that can beat out TD cancel 2P once teched if u manipulate the frames right leaving me at +2 with his back to wall and full track.

Notice I did the other option at 8:08-8:13 from TD cancel once he teched that also can't be stepped or beaten out by any character and he got hit cause he chose to duck from throw or 2P.

Also your opponent wants to tech vs Mila as perfected OS's will always leave her at +6 no mount or mount if they don't tech.

The setups and system was perpetual. But now mixup was removed again. The nerfs are collective and it might not seem like much to most. In particular anyone who doesn't really understand the character but as I said a long time ago it all adds up but you just don't see it.

The above is the video.

I'm still learning to translate frame data talk, but if I'm I'm not seeing the issue? i mean I understand the punch got nerfed for advantage, and that will screw with some of your setups, but it doesn't seem like a gamebreaker for a character as "across the board" as Mila.

(Also I wanna play you on PSN sometime to pick up things from your Mila for mine lol)

I dunno....so long as shes still really versatile with all her tools (which I see as her real strength) it feels like she CAN'T be nerfed, only adjusted, and if that tweak to mount cancel means we can go straight to punches and kicks without having to feint first, then that will allow SO MUCH MORE MIXUP, and I'm hoping it does work that way. Just losing some guaranteed setups doesn't seem to hurt her much, because she has so much else to fall back on, unlike a lot of other characters.

But I suppose that's also taking into consideration a difference in playstyle (I tend towards bigger hits and defensive play, while you rushdown with quick jab combos).

My point is, I'm CONFIDENT that you, of all people, will be able to adapt to the changes :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD