The FreeStepDodge Podcast

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
However I feel the podcast is being unfairly harsh on Mr Itagaki
I can completely understand where you're coming from here and I can sort of agree. As negative as we come off, it's because we're usually discussing the items we have issue with because we feel these items need attention. We don't really focus on the positives of the game that make us like the game. I can see how a listener might be under the impression that we hate DOA despite Mr. Wah running this site, my running the podcast and everyone contributing here. I'll keep that in mind for future episodes and, while I don't expect our negatives to go away, we'll try and talk about the positives as well.

DOA1, ++,2,3,3.1: Even though the authors of this podcast love to treat DOA pre-DOA4 as some sort of fluke that just happened despite DOA, it would really REALLY be disingenuous to assume that itagaki would be so hands-off as to not understand how his games were being played. These games were all incredibly hardcore and required practice and learning to master, unlike games such as soulcalibur or even tekken which had high levels of accesibility right from the beginning (even though they do stand up well to tournament play)

So, with this kind of track record, does it make sense that this guy who apparently likes hardcore games would suddenly dumb down a game because HE was a scrub?
Rikuto brought this up on the show, after reading my mind, but we're all a little puzzled by the disconnect in the difficulties between his games. So you're right, he's likely not the single person to blame but since he was the face of Team Ninja, he's the only one we can really point the finger at.

However your guess is as good as mine because nothing concrete has been said, all we have are facts and the man's track record, and despite the proofs you gave to bezerk earlier on which are basically related to his personality and quotes, you have to agree that his prior work and the work he is known for would be a better barometer of his tendencies.
Agreed and what we do is just basically speculate based on what we know.

* 1 year is enough time to fix the problems of DOA5. You yourself say DOA4 was ruined in a few months prior to launch. Remember that there is still the strong base of DOA3.1 to work from. Fighting games do not change drastically when this mature.
It could potentially be enough time but not without the intervention of people who are extremely knowledgeable of the game. Rikuto also stated that it's easier to break something than to fix it on the show specifically in regards to this topic and that's a very good point. It would take a lot more time to fix things and reevaluate on whether or not they work now than to just makes changes without real concern for how they work. Rikuto also made a similar comment in regards to Shimbori and DOA Dimensions and how the whole throw system was handled there.

DOA3.1 was a strong base, agreed, and DOA4 was looking very promising prior to its release. There was just such a large disconnect between what we saw and what we got that it hurt the community that much more. There was a point in DOA4's development that Team Ninja basically went on a media blackout and no new info came out. That's the month or two when Itagaki went to "fix" the game as to how he see fit and gave us the game that we got.

If you got this far, I salute you once more, and congratulate you on aquiring one more devoted follower of your content. Peace
I really appreciate your comments and I'm glad you like the show as much as you do. It really lifts my spirits to hear that from a new listener. Thank you.

clockpenalty

Thanks for the response, I have your page bookmarked and the podcast subscribed to on my podcatcher. It was a bit sad when I finally got to the end of the 10th podcast, felt nice to hear people talking indepth about a fighting game even though I'm too old now to really take part at the high end of things.

Glad to know you don't really blame Itagaki 100%, the man is one of my heroes.

Please keep the updates coming!

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
This is the post Wah referred to in episode 5 with JOP and his story about Hulk Hogan and Heihachi.

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=1663811

Glad to know you don't really blame Itagaki 100%, the man is one of my heroes.

Hey man, I don't 100% blame Stalin for all the horrible things that happened to people after WWII like all the disappearances, Kulaks, the sexual abuse of German women during the war, the famines and Trotsky's assassination. I mean, he made the Stalin Tank...or at least I think he did. And what about the Five Year Plan? Then again Nikita changed that after Stalin's death.
Go find a real hero.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
"His first and last DOA4 tournament"

I've never been to a DOA tourney. Grape is liar.

Also I was very drunk. Ignore my inability to form proper sentences.

Berzerk!

Just started listening to this epic...! Liked the clean "round up" intro, grape... an organised way to start.

Sounds like a pretty intelligent (if meandering) discussion so far... :) Love to get in on one of these some time.

Jefffcore

^ I concur

DOA needs those natural combos back.

Hitomi's 2p, and 2kkp(k2kp) give her +1, also.

I thought Armageddon was a good movie. Bruce Willis sacrifices himself, how can you NOT cry!?

Tenren

vanilla pyrrha has the nut crush throw, but its been found to work on females so long as you are to the side or behind
but wow that was long lol, still interesting to listen to tho

clockpenalty

"Itagaki is a bellend"

"Tekken 4 was good"

Seriously..??? Seriously...???

1/3 of the cast on this show (you know who you are) seemed to just be a Tekken troll there to do nothing more than defend Tekken and spout the usual stereotypical insults at DOA. Not cool. Also, interrupting interesting discussions on programming issues and technical details of DOA games/internal dynamics at team ninja with random degrading comments directed at Tecmo, Itagaki, the franchise, Hayabusa and Hayashi is not cool. One member of the cast needs to go. And Tekken 4 sucked- even Tekken fans know this.

On another note, you guys hit upon something really interesting during the podcast- the fact that Team Ninja seems to be able to constantly hit such a high performance bar with their games- more so than Namco. However please note that these days seem to be behind us- Ninja Gaiden 2 was a disaster, and from what I hear DOAD didn't impress on a technical level, either. I suppose Ninja Gaiden 3 will really show us if this new Team Ninja can hit the bar set by previous Tecmo games.

Finally there was something you said about holds- I've always wondered why most criticisms of DOA revolve around the holds themselves as opposed to how they are implemented. In the end, holds are clearly overpowered in DOA4 and as a result break the flow of the game, but is the solution really to ditch holds altogether? I don't think so. I think the defensive hold is one of the defining features of DOA, and a better approach would be to figure out how to make it such a compelling mechanic that other games feel incomplete withoug it.

What if the holds were treated like the parries in SF3- expert level techniques that are only seen in tournament level play? With extremely strict input AND execution windows- nearly impossible to pull off reliably, and only offering frame advantage as opposed to damage, but with the possility of enabling some really wicked launches? Also, what if they were engineered specifically to punish hold-mashing? (In SF3, if you make a parry input that is "whiffed", you are punished by an extended period when the system disregards any further parry inputs. This means that even though you can fire off a parry per frame if each one connects on a hit of an enemy's super move, if you miss even one of them you will be unable to parry again for an extended period of time.)

What if whiffing a hold creates an "invisible stun" period when the player can do any other thing except another hold? This would be true even if the hold command was buffered- You could also cancel a buffered hold if the player makes another hold input before the hold takes effect, and cancel all further hold buffering until the character enters another rest state. This would ensure that mashing holds NEVER works, and reward players who learn to hold off a perfect read.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
HAHAHA. Look at you gettin' mad at videogames.

Yeah, compared to most DOA game, Tekken 4 was good. As a Tekken game, it was like the teenage years of Tekken, so they ended up experimenting with a lot of things before they figured out that most of it wasn't even worth it.

Allan Paris

Well damn this almost makes me not want to listen. I will hear it out though.

Also, not to start anything but, why was he even on this podcast? He's clearly a Tekken fan and since he's been here the only thing(s) pro-doa I have seen from him is that Bass thread and the UK tournament that is hosting doa.

DOA 4 is the only DOA game that is bad competitively playing, the rest of them are fine.

Raansu

Well damn this almost makes me not want to listen. I will hear it out though.

Also, not to start anything but, why was he even on this podcast? He's clearly a Tekken fan and since he's been here the only thing(s) pro-doa I have seen from him is that Bass thread and the UK tournament that is hosting doa.

DOA 4 is the only DOA game that is bad competitively playing, the rest of them are fine.

Because when they ask people like me its in the middle of the night and I don't say a damn word and make sorwah talk the entire time =P

In all seriousness, I haven't listened to it yet (going to tonight) but I'd assume getting someone from another community could make for interesting viewpoints outside of the DoA fanbase. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and maybe next time they can get someone like d3v on the show?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
1/3 of the cast on this show (you know who you are) seemed to just be a Tekken troll there to do nothing more than defend Tekken and spout the usual stereotypical insults at DOA. Not cool.

It was all in jest, and we were interested in talking to someone who was more experienced with another game over DOA.

Also, interrupting interesting discussions on programming issues and technical details of DOA games/internal dynamics at team ninja with random degrading comments directed at Tecmo, Itagaki, the franchise, Hayabusa and Hayashi is not cool.

I would have liked more conversation about the programming and technical details of DOA games, perhaps in a future podcast

One member of the cast needs to go. And Tekken 4 sucked- even Tekken fans know this.

He was a guest, he's not permanent, and he may be in future ones as well. Additionally, much like there are people who don't like DOA4, there are people who like Tekken 4. I personally haven't enjoyed any Tekken, but from what I've seen and played Tekken 4 did a lot of things outside of their normal realm: Environments and the like. I know of a few Tekken players who enjoyed Tekken 4.

On another note, you guys hit upon something really interesting during the podcast- the fact that Team Ninja seems to be able to constantly hit such a high performance bar with their games- more so than Namco. However please note that these days seem to be behind us- Ninja Gaiden 2 was a disaster, and from what I hear DOAD didn't impress on a technical level, either. I suppose Ninja Gaiden 3 will really show us if this new Team Ninja can hit the bar set by previous Tecmo games.

I concur, it feels like this generation Team NINJA hasn't been up to their typical standards. However, the company has gone through some major restructuring and been sidelined with other issues moreso in this generation than the previous. Here's hoping DOA5 meets that high bar.

Finally there was something you said about holds- I've always wondered why most criticisms of DOA revolve around the holds themselves as opposed to how they are implemented. In the end, holds are clearly overpowered in DOA4 and as a result break the flow of the game, but is the solution really to ditch holds altogether? I don't think so. I think the defensive hold is one of the defining features of DOA, and a better approach would be to figure out how to make it such a compelling mechanic that other games feel incomplete withoug it.

I don't think that I've ever mentioned that holds should be removed. In fact, in previous podcasts we've discussed that really the core issue with the holds is the frequency of which you are able to do them. That is, to clarify, the amount of situations a hold can be used. This is a core reason that DOA3.1(and 3.2) are considered competitive iterations to the series: The Hold was still usable to stop abusable moves such as Jann Lee's :6::6::K: or Gen Fu's :3::P+K:, but there were certain states where you couldn't perform the hold. These states include certain stuns, guard breaks, guard crushes, and wall crumples. These situations allowed for strategy, combos, and metagame to develop because you were restricting a core element of the game much like restricting attacks and throws at certain times.

What if the holds were treated like the parries in SF3- expert level techniques that are only seen in tournament level play? With extremely strict input AND execution windows- nearly impossible to pull off reliably, and only offering frame advantage as opposed to damage, but with the possility of enabling some really wicked launches? Also, what if they were engineered specifically to punish hold-mashing? (In SF3, if you make a parry input that is "whiffed", you are punished by an extended period when the system disregards any further parry inputs. This means that even though you can fire off a parry per frame if each one connects on a hit of an enemy's super move, if you miss even one of them you will be unable to parry again for an extended period of time.)

This isn't really a new idea, and I'm not complaining about it being brought up again. In short, Team NINJA has dug themselves in a hole where they want to 'fix' the hold system, but don't want to change what's made the game recognizable. However, while they've been sitting on this functionality for the entirety of the series, other games have found ways to implement similar ideas into their own games with moderate success.

What if whiffing a hold creates an "invisible stun" period when the player can do any other thing except another hold? This would be true even if the hold command was buffered- You could also cancel a buffered hold if the player makes another hold input before the hold takes effect, and cancel all further hold buffering until the character enters another rest state. This would ensure that mashing holds NEVER works, and reward players who learn to hold off a perfect read.

Again, nothing wrong with this idea really, but it would have to require a drastic change to the stun system itself. If every move continued to critical stun, and it made it so easy to grant counter hit attacks, then allowing a one time hold in stun can feel unfair to some competitive players and confusing to the casual. The amount of critical stun threshold would have to be reduced.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Honestly, I only listened to this podcast to hear wah and grabe speak because every time they have something new to say.

To me, these games are very much a guilty pleasure. They're fast paced, flashy, fun and could be considered competitive. I'm not sure if I could consider the old DOA games competitive because they didn't feel like competitive games, but I suppose someone would. I don't have many people to play these games with either and they don't really take these games seriously.

And Tekken has it's share of problems too like Juggles getting longer and longer and the recent games rewarding launch-based strategies more, but it's still good. The thing is that Namco really listens to the players and this is all thanks to Harada's efforts. On the other hand, I don't see TN doing much interaction with the community itself. Sure, they go around promoting the games, but they don't know how competitive fighting game communities work and who they should speak to.

Also, I mean no disrespect to the community here. It's just that very few of you seem to take things seriously, so sometimes I just feel like trolling you. Mr Wah is one of those few people who he seems to know his shit inside out.

Also, please note: I'm not here to represent the entire Tekken community. I'm just a guy on the internet with his own opinions. The Tekken community is too large to have one person or one group representing it.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I would have liked more conversation about the programming and technical details of DOA games, perhaps in a future podcast

I wasn't really thinking clearly during the podcast since I was talking and playing at the same time, but I'm willing to have an actual serious discussion and talks about technical aspects later on and to explain how buffer system are implemented and how easy it is for TN to fix certain things and how it might also be the complete opposite in certain other cases.

Can you guys have Doctor Dogg get the next podcast? I want to hear what he has to say.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD