The International Interviews: #20 shazzmatazzles

ikodomo

“I may not always win, but know that I'm ALWAYS learning. This is only the beginning, and I have a lot more to show the competitive scene now that I'm in it.”
- shazzmatazzles

v6ul1j.jpg

Goodbye 2015! You hosted a plethora of hype DOA moments from various tournaments hosted all across the world. We, as the DOA community, are definitely inching away in becoming a more unified establishment where players from all around the world are traveling to various high profile tournaments and performing exceptionally well. Also it gives everyone insight that there are many strong players from all over the globe who can compete at a high level and place high, not just the US competitors. Challenging players from all Asia has broaden my scope on that regard. With all that has been said, Welcome 2016! A new fresh start and beginning. Also.... A new line of interviews waiting to be read! Up first for this year's 2016.....shazzmatazzles!

Even though shazzmatazzles is very new to the offline tournament scene, she nearly produced a top 8th result at her first tournament, Absolute Battle 6, featuring players such as Master, sweetrevenge, FyreNecromancer and Emann to name a few. Day in and day out, she impresses players and viewers alike with her patient and solid Ein play. As she further continues enhancing her knowledge and time with the game, shazzmatazzles will certainly be one of the players you will have to keep an eye out for.​

Name?

Ariel LaPerche. Let the mermaid jokes begin.

Are you actually the reincarnation of Ariel in real life!? Can I have your autograph!!??

LOL NOOO.

Gaming Alias?

shazzmatazzles.

Country of Origin?

I'm from the Unites States.

How did you come up with the name shazzmatazzles?

One of the only DC characters I liked was Captain Marvel/ Shazam. My name first started as Shazam, and then was blown way out of proportion for years since. The final product, shazzmatazzles.

Who is your main character in DOA5LR?

Ein!

What makes Ein so intriguing to you than the entire cast?

What I like about Ein is that he doesn't need all of the other tools that other characters have to win. You have to be contemplative and patient.

What would be his pros and cons?

What Ein lacks in other aspects he makes up for in sheer, raw power. It can be hard to open people up sometimes, but once you do and you show them what Ein is made of, the results are more than gratifying! There's so much more to this character than people think. I can't wait to show you all what I've got!

Who are Ein's best and worst matchups in your opinion?

A good match up would be Eliot, Nyotengu, Marie Rose, Rachael. However my favorite match ups are Rig, Hayabusa, Leon, and Gen Fu.

Do you have any Ein players you watch and learn from? Any tips for up and coming Ein players?

I've recently started communicating with JayceeChris and we've had a few exchanges in tech and ideas. He's been wonderful! I also get cues from all of my friends and sponge everything I can.

As far as tips go, I think Ein is a wonderful starter character. He's the kind of character that forces you to respect the game. Discipline is a must in this character, I truly believe that--and for those who are learning him or even playing him at an in depth level, you have my utmost respect.

Favorite Ein Costume?

His default costume is, of course! I'd say after that it'd be his Gi, then Ninja costume.

How long have you been playing DOA for fun? As a competitive player?

I've been playing DOA since Dreamcast. It was a fun game that I would come home ditch my homework and play as a kiddo. But I didn't really start taking the game seriously until late 2014, which is when I finally started playing Ein. The character forced me to respect the game, and it was then that my eyes were opened.

If you were to describe your play style in 3 words; What would they be?

Hmm, I think I'm still coming into my own, but I'd say patient, thoughtful, and more than anything, space!

Any weaknesses in your game you are trying to improve on?

I'd say my weakness is if I don't have a grasp on how you're playing and you're in my face, then it's a little hard for me to come out on top. Adaptation is key, and I just need to be quicker about it.

What's your typical routine when preparing for an upcoming tournament? Do you have any players you train with for an upcoming tournament?

I haven't really established what to do quite yet, but typically I try to find my center before I go into my first match. Once I find it, I think I'm set for the rest of the tournament. While in mid travel to attend any tournaments, you know I'm definitely rocking out to the Vigaku remix! Normally I'll play with Dante, Rojikku, Alex and Solomo12, UnholySerpents, FyreNecromancer, and just my Brave Heart family in general.

Are you the type of person who listens to music or chats amongst friends right before a tournament starts?

I'll chit chat, haha. I love talking and meeting everyone.

What are the tournaments you have attended? What were those results you had on those tournaments?

Absolute Battle 6 - 9th place. Nashfan that Tina is formidable!

NEC XVI - Didn't place.

Absolute Battle 6

How did you think you did at last year's NEC XVI?

I did awful, haha. There were some extenuating circumstances back home and I couldn't get my head in the game. Everything's fine now though!

Can you tell us your experiences at NEC XVI? Any funny, interesting or fascinating stories you would like to share with us during your stay at NEC?

I missed two flights to get to Philadelphia, so that was fun. Luckily I had really supportive and patient friends! Haha. Thank you Low Sweep, Mamba, Mr. Skellington, Rojikku Effect and Dante for being awesome!

Aside from said circumstances, I had a blast! I got to meet so many people that I'd always wanted to meet! And then to see familiar faces back from Absolute Battle and meeting my online and offline friends made me feel even more comfortable.

So, meeting Tom Lee was an interesting experience. I was settling in for the evening and I switched into my pajama's ( plaid pants and a Marvel shirt--I'm a dork ). The majority of the DOA players were on the eighth floor, so I went to one of the rooms and went to play some casuals. Tom was there, and I was formally introduced to him... while in my pajama's. That was embarrassing! Also watching SlyBass, Jaeger and Mr. Wah play Blackjack was both entertaining and nerve wrecking.

The team tournament was filled with all sorts of amazing gameplay! My team made fourth place, which was pretty damn good in my book! Watched Amber beat SonicFox in the team tournament too! Also meeting everyone I hadn't before--dVineHarmony, Hollow, Gehaktbal, Blackmoonrisingx, Kwiggles, Caliber, SonicFox, Silent Legend, Dr. Dogg, Vanessa, Shade, JCAkira, TeruRock, everyone! ( sorry if I forgot a few! ) It was a pleasure meeting everyone.

There were tons of amazing games at NEC, but Blackmoon vs TeruRock. That was THE most hype game for me to watch.

Planning on going to any tournaments this year (2016)?

Yes! But I'm not telling.~ You'll see me when I show up!

Do you think there will be another Battle Royale circuit for this year?

I really hope there is. I feel that it was extremely successful and has definitely drawn in more of a crowd!

Which versions of DOA do you like and hate the most? Why?

Dead Or Alive 2: Hardcore. Love, love, love love LOVE DOA2. The stages in that game were absolutely stunning! The music was also another reason why I played that game over and over again. I've been through so many copies of DOA2 it's not even funny.

Ehhh... I'd say DOA4, at least to me, was really unbalanced. I was also really terrible at that game. Also when there was no hope of there being another game I was utterly heartbroken. When DOA5 was announced, I may have cried a little. I was happy! However, If Ein was like how he was in DOA4, I'd be more than okay with that. 4K was so good!

If you had one sentence you would like to tell Team Ninja, what would that be?

Please give Ein a true mid--that is all... OR please put Ein in DOA6.... AND PLEASE NO MORE OVERLY FLAMBOYANT COSTUMES. That was three, I'm a woman--I'm greedy.

Any players you enjoy watching or would like to play against?

I really enjoy watching Blackmoonrisingx above anyone else. I feel that he has come such a long way in the year that I've known him, and I respect him as both a friend and player. Then there's Master--who is always breaking the game. Bboy Dragon's shenanigans are so hype! Sweet Revenge schooled me in casuals AB ( never again homeslice! ). I think one of the people I enjoy playing the most is Emann, as infuriating as that is. I think I may have established a bit of a rivalry with him since our games are always so close offline. Crazy Steady, who I played for the first time at NEC is formidable! DestructionBomb and I have a bit of a rivalry of our own too! DB, you're getting this slope, son!

Another player that I like to watch and play is Hoodless especially. He is everything that I want to be in this game. He's so patient and calculative, and I love playing that Rig! I think out of everyone, Hoodless knows me and how I play better than anyone.

How is the Colorado scene been? Can you tell us more about your scene and the players people should look out for? Are there any ways you can think of improving your scene and its potential growth?

The Colorado scene seems scarce, unfortunately. I have Black Mamba literally a few miles away from me, but that's it. The only way I know how to improve the scene out here is to use my resources in the hotel industry and hopefully get something going! I have tons and tons of space and at my disposal. So if there are any Colorado players, let me know! I definitely want to get something started here in Denver!

What are best places people need to visit in your area?

While I'm in the Englewood/ Denver, my hometown is Colorado Springs. You'll want to check out Garden of the Gods, Manitou Springs, Pikes Peak, and 11 mile Canyon. It's a beautiful state!

Favorite foods and drinks?

I love Indian and Mediterranean cuisine, also sushi. Water is always good, Lemonade, whiskey is awesome too.

Do you have a personal tier list on DOA5LR?

Personally I pretend that I don't have one because if I believe that there is one, I'll play horribly. Since you asked though; Helena, Christie, Gen Fu, Lei Fang.

What's your take on DOAX3?

If Ein isn't in it, it's irrelevant to me. If there's no fighting, then what do I care?

Are you interested in DOA6 coming out anytime soon?

I don't think it needs to come out soon. Just make a few adjustments here and there in LR and keep adding new stages!

If you were to pick one moment that defines you in DOA, what would that be and why?

Uh... Well, there isn't much really. If I had to choose, maybe the one match I got on Emann? I've never walked out of any situation shaking like that before in my entire life.

If you were given the chance to create a DOA character from scratch for DOA6, What character would you create? Gender? Martial Arts? Default Costume?

I love this question! I'd make a male character, probably middle aged with a lean build. He'd study the Shanxi Style ( Praying Mantis Style ), a mid to close range combat type. I imagine him to be a Taoist Monk? So flowing robes, sashes and the like. He would be balanced in both strength and speed, but nothing crazy. If this character existed, I swear he'd be my submain.

If you could give any advice for the aspiring competitive DOA player, what would you say?

Be humble, but confident. Be patient and understanding and learn from your mistakes, and hit the books as hard as you can!

Being one of the few female gamers in the DOA competitive scene, do you feel as though you are treated the same as anybody else? Any advice you would like to share to any potential female gamers who are interested in going to a tournament for their 1st time, but might be a bit hesitant?

When I attended Absolute Battle 6, my first tournament, nobody really knew that I was a female to be completely honest. It didn't bother me at all though, because I wasn't there to flaunt that I was a female. I was there to kick as much ass as I could. At first, people will treat you differently--not everyone, but a lot of people will; but once you have a controller in your hands and you're showing everyone what you can do, it's a whole different ball game. Don't just make guys respect you--make EVERYONE respect you. In the end, gender means nothing-- and for any women that really want to take any game to a competitive level, kick ass and take names! Don't worry about anything else.

Why play DOA over any other fighting game competitively? Why does it capture your interest?

Dead Or Alive is extremely intriguing because of how many factors can change the game. I feel that a lot of people from other fighters can't take it seriously because of this, but that's because people won't broaden their minds to these factors. Personally, I love these factors and you can manipulate or even turn the game in your favor. Secondly, as lame as this sounds, I really do love the community. I've made so many good friends within it and I'm happy to see it growing!

What do you think of the current DOA scene in America? Do you think the US is the best in the world when it comes to DOA? Do you think the American players are improving as a whole or only a small group of players are?

I think we were "self proclaimed" for a long time, but there are so many good players all over the world so we can't just say that. After that whooping JCAkira gave us, I believe we have a lot of work to do. There are more than just him, and they're not just in Japan. I believe that American players are improving, big and small. However, the big guys better watch out for the little guys! They're out for blood in 2016, I know it! ... And some of you should come out to Colorado dammit! I need more offline play!

Any commentators you enjoy listening too?

Naturally Matt Ponton, Allan Paris, Shade, Master, Bifuteki and so many others!

What other games do you play for fun? Competitively?

... There are other games? Just kidding! At the moment, no. I want to get into Tekken 7, MAYBE SFV.

Hobbies?

Is working a hobby? Because I work a lot. I sketch every now and again. Comic books are awesome. Whenever a chance arises to street race, I love doing that!

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue....

Don't sidestep after a negative string, because I have a Hokage for you. < 3

Twitter? Youtube? Facebook?

Twitter: @shazzmatazzle

YouTube: shazzmatazzles

FaceBook: Ariel LaPerche

Any last messages or shoutouts you want to dish out?

My online and offline family, you know who you are. You guys inspire me to be the best I can be: Brave Heart. FreeStepDodge, of course. Thank you for all that you do and all of the support you provide for our community! Thank you so much for a wonderful interview!

Last edited:

Darkslay

Name?

Ariel LaPerche. Let the mermaid jokes begin.

Are you actually the reincarnation of Ariel in real life!? Can I have your autograph!!??

LOL NOOO.
I'm the dumbest man on earth.... How. How didn't i make that connection SOONER?!
No matter, Shazz is now the Mythical Karateka Mermaid of LEGEND! :D

Awesome interview to start the year, can't wait to see more of that awesome Ein play all throughout. You go, girl, you're an inspiration for all female gamers out there.

Crext

Standard Donor
Ah, main Ein... I feel for you. :p
Good luck, hope you are able to succeed, because if you are, you'll impress everyone more than anyone ever has.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD