The International Interviews: #6 JayceeChris

ikodomo

"I never did worse than 4th place without practicing anything so i'm definitely sure I can do good stuff since I'm really into the game and I practice a lot more than before."
- JayceeChris

tumblr_mnazl0rWAk1rkrgl0o1_1280.jpg

After searching for the next player I wanted to interview, I stumbled across one of the best DOA players France had to offer while viewing the recent GameChanger tournament stream. Hearing about France having the biggest DOA community in Europe, I couldn’t pass up the chance to have a one on one with someone relevant to their scene. Now let’s get this interview rolling. I present you, JayceeChris.

Name? Gaming alias?

My name's Chris and my alias is JayceeChris

Country of Origin?

I'm from Paris, France

How did you come up with the name JayceeChris?

I actually played a lot of Tekken and my favorite character is Julia Chang. In Tekken Tag Tournament 2 She is playable as a wrestler alter-ego called Jaycee (which stands for Julia Chang). And I just thought that JayceeChris sounded pretty good so I picked it up and stuck with it.

Who is your main character in DOA5LR?

I've only one character and it’s Ein.

A character loyalist. Cool! A lot of players have Ein low on their tier lists. What do you have say about that? What are his pros and cons?

Ein is not that bad, he's good like maybe Mid- on a tier list but he has bad match-ups and imo he's not very well adapted to the DOA5 system. Definitely not low tier in this version to me.

He has a i10 CH PKK that gives combo, is easily hit confirmable and do heavy damage, even though the 3rd hit is counterable. He has one of the fastest homing move in the game (4P i13), his overall counter and throw damage on Hi Counter is very good. He has two OH, a pretty good damage output and he's one of the best whiff punisher in the game.

However Ein doesn't have any parry or a terrifying crush move so it forces the player to be a lot more solid and learn the other characters match-up very vell. Some characters can control the pace of the match and force the other player to adapt and not the opposite (kind of a "you're gonna have to adapt and I don't" stuff) and I don't think Ein is any good at it, at least not against a good player who knows the match-up. He also lacks good mix-ups tool, that's why I thought 4P2K2K and 1KK would be a nice add. He doesn't have any sit down stun to play in the stun game. And the last thing would be the nerf of 6P+K, it hits really hard not to have this move as a whiff punisher in a few match-ups.

Favorite Ein costume?

Definitely C1 in DOA5. I also like the matrix outfit in DOA3 and his C2 in both DOA2 and DOA4.

How long have you been playing DOA casually and competitively?

I've played DOA2 when I was a kid and that was when I first played Ein and since the first day I had played him he has been my favorite character hands down.

I play a bit of DOA4 but not competitively, I was much learning basic stuff like combo etc...But I've been seriously playing DOA competitively when LR came out. Before that I entered 3 tournament since DOA5 Ultimate was out.

If you were to describe your play style in 3 words; What would they be?

Spacing, Zoning, Punishing

Is there any weaknesses in your game that you would like to improve on?

Yeah, definitely character knowledge. There's like more than 30 characters in the game and I barely know a few of them. Besides I use to be really bad at slow escaping but I've gotten better at it.

What's your typical routine when preparing for an upcoming tournament? Do you have any players you train with for an upcoming tournament?

For a few weeks I practice a lot in offline sessions with the players from Paris or near-by like Alucardo, Ivan, Elenabathory, Ky Dragon, Albritz etc...

I'm not that good at tournament preparation. I just don't play online before a tournament, online is a real nightmare ahah.

DOA League Matches

VS Ivan

VS Elenabathory

A set against Alucardo

Right before the tournament starts, what do you typically do? Listen to your music? Chat with friends? Just chill?

I'm just chilling with the other guys or watching the other players playing their match. I don't play lots of casual during tournaments, so I'm kinda calm and focus.

What are the tournaments you have attended? What were those results you had on those tournaments?

ROF #2 - 4th (Ein)

Winter session 2014 - #3rd (Ein)

Winter session 2015 - 3rd (Ein)

My first real tournament was ROF #2. The tournament took place a few days after DOA5U came out, so I was still learning the game mechanics that was added in DOA5 (Sit down stun etc...) During that tournament I managed to get 4th place, stopped by Ky Dragon.

After That I dropped DOA5 because I thought I wasn't good and I had the feeling that Ein was really not well adapted in the game.

I entered ROF's Winter Session 2014 on January. At the start I only went to the tournament to play TTT2 but I finally decided to enter DOA5U As well. During this tournament I was sended in Loser bracket pretty early after pools by Elenabathory. In loser bracket I managed to beat Ky dragon, and I also have had my revenge against Elenabathory. Unfortunately I was beat by Alucardo 3-1. I've had 1st place in TTT2 and 3rd place in DOA5U.

The last tournament I entered was Winter Session 2015. I did pretty bad in pools but I strike back sending Gehatkbal, HurricaneRev, Elenabathory in Losers bracket. I was sended in losers by Ky Dragon and eliminated by Gehaktbal.

So to conclude I never did worse than 4th place without practicing anything so i'm definitely sure I can do good stuff since I'm really into the game and I practice a lot more.

Any upcoming Tournaments you will be participating in the near future?

I'd like to enter ROF's Winter session on January 23/24. Winter session on Jun 11,12 and ROF #4 on September 2016.

Which version of DOA do you like and hate the most? Why?

I hated DOA5 because my main character was not it in. I was expecting the game a lot and I was totally disappointed to learn that Ein wouldn't be in the game.

Is there anything you would like to see changed, added or deleted in DOA5LR such as character balances, more characters or stages?

For character balances :

Of course some buff on Ein would be great, I don't want him to be overpowered (not sure about this ahah) but I'd like him to have a low sweep on 1K (pretty sure it was Hayate's string in DOA4) and 4P2K. A sit down stun, and make 4K a ground hitting move.

I'd like to see Marie Rose's sidestep being fixed. She can sidestep some homing moves like Ein's H+K in certain situation like when both characters are at 0 frame. What's the point of having an anti-step if you're gonna get sidestep ahah?

Helena's BT 66K2 being -6 on block.

I find characters like Christie and Gen-Fu really strong but I don't know much about what should be nerfed so that pretty much it for me, outside of that I like the game how it is.

I'd definitely not say no to some new stages, and of course a REALLY good Ein DLC Costume .

Any players you enjoy watching or would like to play against?

I do not watch a lot of videos because I don't know any Ein players that I could watch on Youtube and learn from. If you have any i'm all ears. However I like to watch tournament matches, I really like the Hype in the US tournaments.

Have you ever heard of Shazzmatazzles? She also is one of the few players that main Ein. Have you seen her play before? If so, what do you think about her Ein?

No I've never seen her play but if you have some videos to give me I'll definitely watch them. I'm sure I can learn a lot by watching other players with Ein.

Did you ever watch OffbeatNinja?

Yes I did, I watched some videos from DOA4 and I thought that I have almost the same style. I don't know if it was my experience from Tekken making me play like that (Lots of spacing, wavedash into backdashing etc...) but I also remember saying "Oh, I would have done the exact same thing on this situation" when I was watching his matchs. Unfortunately I haven't seen him play DOA5.

How is the French scene? I heard that France has the biggest scene in all of Europe. What makes DOA very popular there? Can you tell us more about your scene and the players you have? Are there any ways you can think of improving your scene and its growth?

Players are definitely stepping their game up thanks to the offline sessions in Paris. There's at least one session by week where we gather to play. Thanks to this we are all learning from each other, which is harder online.

Who are the players need to be aware of in the France?

Most players already know about Alucard and Ky Dragon, so I'll say Murasaki Dono aka Snow. He's a Rachel/Phase 4 player, the kind of guy that use to only play online but has improved a lot since he came to these offline sessions.

Do the French players have a specific style that is unique compared to the other European countries?

Yeah they mash buttons even when they are at -30.

Wait… What? LOL! Do the French players really mash and attack from disadvantage?

No, it was a bad joke ahah, but I feel like sometime you have to. If you always stand blocking you're not dangerous to your opponent. You have to make your opponent think twice when is gonna attack. And I also don't think that being a 0 or in a frame advantage means that you have to absolutely attack.

Do you have a personal tier list on DOA5LR?

Definitely not, it's too complex and subjective imo although the fact that a few characters remain top 5 in a lot of tier list is pretty clear.

If you were to pick one moment that defines you in DOA, what would that be and why?

Winter session 2015: first round, my match against Gehaktbal. Ein-Gen-Fu, hell of a match-up ahah. Most people would've been afraid of playing him, especially on first round, but I wasn't, in fact it was kind of an honor to play the best European player. I think I was the first european player to beat him in a tournament since DOA5.

If you could give an advice for the aspiring competitive DOA player, what would you say?

Go to the most events/tournaments/sessions you can, ask for questions and as Gehaktbal said, if you lost a match/round, be sure to know why you lost and try to work on that for the next time.

DOA6. What year do you think it will come out?

Maybe 2017 or 2018 but I don't think before.

Any other games you play for fun or competitively?

These days I play DMC4S E on PS4. I use to play a lot of Tekken competitively, that's where I learn a lot about spacing in fighting game. Now my hands are only on DOA5LR, I'll wait until T7 comes out to see if i'll play it or now.

DOAX3 is coming out soon. What do you think of the game? Are you going to get it?

I didn't know it was coming ahah, no I'm not interested in this game (but who knows maybe I'll try it), I'm a fighter.

Do you have a Twitter, Facebook or Youtube channel people can follow you on?

Sure:

Twitter : @JayceeChris3

Facebook : JayceeChris

Youtube : JayceeChris

I realized that you are very fluent in English. I feel like talking to a person who speaks english as their first language. Are you required to learn English during your school years over there or are you just that good in learning other languages?

Yes I've had english lessons since middle school and I was pretty good at it so I improved naturally by reading comics, listening music and everything…

Any last messages? Shoutouts?

Shoutouts to FreeStepDodge, Critical Stun. Shoutouts to Ein and everybody pressing a Mid/high hold button when their back is against the wall. Thanks to you for the interview, it was a pleasure.

Thank you for your time. It was a pleasure interviewing you!

Last edited:

Dark-truth

Ok not to be mean or hate anything or to sound racist but seriously all the French players I know are jerks especially murasaki, I don't like most European players anyway >_>

TOMA SAN

Standard Donor
nice interview ;) jaycee are very good but in france all players see in every last tournament the same top 2 :
1 gehaktbal from netherland
2 ky dragon from france

ikodomo

nice interview ;) jaycee are very good but in france all players see in every last tournament the same top 2 :
2 ky dragon from france
I'm not sure if Ky dragon speaks English. There are many players I would love to interview, but the language barrier is a difficult hurdle to surpass. If I had a willing translator to translate their entire interview or if they spoke any english then I would ask them if they wanted to be interviewed.

TOMA SAN

Standard Donor
Ok not to be mean or hate anything or to sound racist but seriously all the French players I know are jerks especially murasaki, I don't like most European players anyway >_>
why did you say that ? just by curiosity.

TOMA SAN

Standard Donor
I'm not sure if Ky dragon speaks English. There are many players I would love to interview, but the language barrier is a difficult hurdle to surpass. If I had a willing translator to translate their entire interview or if they spoke any english then I would ask them if they wanted to be interviewed.
im a friend of ky dragon, he speak english a little and he can find a translator next to him :) (like the player @Ivan )
today lot of people in france speak english not very well but a little ;) as you see jaycee speak very well even is not the same case for the average french people

ikodomo

im a friend of ky dragon, he speak english a little and he can find a translator next to him :) (like the player @Ivan )
today lot of people in france speak english not very well but a little ;) as you see jaycee speak very well even is not the same case for the average french people
How would I be able to contact him?

Ken_Jammin

Characters like Ein have a lot of trouble putting on pressure, especially since they nerfed his 3p to -4 on block. A lot of tier lists usually value the ability to apply pressure over defensive and ranged options. Wall pressure and the ability to move in at the start of the match also puts a lot of emphasis on a characters ability to fight up close. If your gonna put a character like Ein in the finals your gonna have to make a lot of solid reads. Also most people online and my friends will read the last kick on PKK, that thing telegraphs like crazy...

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
2 ky dragon from france

A representative of a scene doesn't have to be the "highest ranking" player in it. Any solid player that represents the game properly is perfectly fine IMHO. JayceeChris is a great choice and reps DOA very well.
Ken_Jammin said:
Wall pressure and the ability to move in at the start of the match also puts a lot of emphasis on a characters ability to fight up close
I agree with this. It's an unbalanced mechanic.

Timasty

It's nice reading interviews. Great job. Gotta watch a few fights of JayceeChris.

Oh and I'm actually happy to hear Murasaki Dono being active in the offline scene. We didn't come out too well, but I'll still root for him. His Phase 4 was enjoyable to fight against.

TOMA SAN

Standard Donor
A representative of a scene doesn't have to be the "highest ranking" player in it. Any solid player that represents the game properly is perfectly fine IMHO. JayceeChris is a great choice and reps DOA very well.

I agree with this. It's an unbalanced mechanic.
ky is representatitve

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD