DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

Gurimmjaw

Ok something a bit bothering here...the tier list letters. Why do we have 6 tiers? Most tiers go from only SS-C or S-C(or D) I don't believe any character in this game bad enough to put them in an E tier category. Looking at some of the Japan tier list they only have 4 tier categories and not 6. When someone E tier they would need to have like 24 bad match ups and maybe 2 even ones. Thats a true E Tier.

Considering that DoA has the triangle system and especially since every character has holds to get out of stuns at worst C tier.

Looking back on the DoA5 tier list there were only 4 tiers. That was S-C

Last edited:

Crext

Standard Donor
It probably has something to do with Einstein's relativity theory.

If you compare it to some 2D fighters, then DoA probably only has 2, maybe 3 tiers. If you look at the match-up ratings you'd see that there is a prefixed score for where the line goes from 1 tier to another. The real info lies in the score more than the letter, where the tier letter really doesn't tell you anything unless you are willing to check up on the math behind it.

If we get 2 tiers then it is basically no point speaking about it, and even that would shade the differences as you'd put the characters into "good" and "bad", not really telling you anything.

But this is if you compare it to 2D fighters that generally has always, and probably will always be way more unbalanced. If you move away from that premise, then you'd understand that you pretty much are allowed to put the line where you want it to be. There is no universal "E tiers are this". As a matter of fact there isn't even an universal tier list ranking system here at the DoA community. Some people say S.A.B.C.D.E.F, others say SSS, SS, S, AAA, AA, and some say S+, S, S-, A+... and just about the imagination puts limit on people's colorful ways of expressing what is the correct tier list.

Last edited:

Gurimmjaw

Thanks for the explanation and guess you are right so it doesn't matter much about the letters though looking at 6 here looks silly a bit but it is your way of doing it so I respect that.

Tiers consist of all low, mid, and top tiers. Match up ratings play a huge factor in this I know. In this game all characters are good imo.

TRI Mike

With a huge pain in my heart I have to agree that Tina is definitely low tier. Team NINJA had a great character in her in vanilla with tons of useful shit that guaranteed good damage, but now that the guaranteed stuff is gone and they raised to life bar to 5000, she can't do much in competitive play.

Busa is mostly hurt by the new 4PK which I still don't understand. What's the point of thos two stupid kicks anyway¿

Xernuht

With a huge pain in my heart I have to agree that Tina is definitely low tier. Team NINJA had a great character in her in vanilla with tons of useful shit that guaranteed good damage, but now that the guaranteed stuff is gone and they raised to life bar to 5000, she can't do much in competitive play.

Busa is mostly hurt by the new 4PK which I still don't understand. What's the point of thos two stupid kicks anyway¿

It looks cooler. To be fair, as long as it guard breaks, it could serve the same purpose.

But yeah, I'd wait for DOA6 for any real changes to the movelists.

TRI Mike

It doesn't matter if it's cooler (it's not). Before, the kick was positive on block, now it's throw punishable.

Brute

Standard Donor

While 4PK is the biggest, Hayabusa actually has a LOT of game-changing nerfs going from vanilla to ultimate. He basically has 0 practical frame advantage now.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
To be fair, that's most characters right now. Who actually has frame advantage now? Pretty much just TKD users.

Yoyo

To be fair, that's most characters right now. Who actually has frame advantage now? Pretty much just TKD users.
Kokoro, Helena, Tina, Lisa, Pai, Akira, Jacky, Ayane (these are on block) here are just a few off the top of my head, but they mostly are just +1 (Koko, Helena, Lisa, Pai) or +2 (Tina, Akira), I forget Jacky's :G (Rig gets +3 on block from his high kicks). Kasumi gets +4 if she goes into Hoshinpo from any of those unsafe string she can do and even (I guess) Lisa to her Carrera stance.

Last edited:

Tenryuga

Kasumi's +4 is only if she completes the transition into dash. If you mash your ass off as soon as you take the guard break she doesn't get +4. Ein gets +1 from multiple moves and +8 from PPP charge, Hayate gets +3 from guard breaks and +1 off 236K, +2 of 214K. Hitomi gets + from 66H+K, PPP and P+KP charge. Then there is of course the sweeps most ppl have access to on NH.

Last edited:

Xernuht

It doesn't matter if it's cooler (it's not). Before, the kick was positive on block, now it's throw punishable.

The rest of my statement was the general fix: they could have added the cool 2-hit kick and left it as a +frame guard break. Someone decided we can't have either.

By the way, I'd say Momiji - Hayabusa is a 5-5, ever-so-slightly in Momiji's favor. Momiji has frames and ease of use, but Hayabusa outdamages in most situations, has very strong throws and holds, and can pick up better stage damage/advantages. It comes down to stages.

Brute

Standard Donor
The new animation of Hayabusa's 4PK would be an odd guard break given that only the second hit could guard break. Personally, also, I liked the old animation better. But I should add it's not just an on-block thing. 4PK had a way better hitbox before in vanilla, both to be used in juggles, and as a crush.

And don't forget that 3H+K was also changed to this new double-strike move. For some reason a lot of people in vanilla seemed to think Ryu's 3H+K was the same as his 4PK. It wasn't. It didn't even share the same animation. Different animation, different hitbox, different guard properties. Totally different move. A useful one. Also nerfed for no good reason.

Furthermore, I know you were just trying to be concise, but that is a very over-simplified look at the Ryu v Momiji match-up.

Xernuht

The new animation of Hayabusa's 4PK would be an odd guard break given that only the second hit could guard break. Personally, also, I liked the old animation better. But I should add it's not just an on-block thing. 4PK had a way better hitbox before in vanilla, both to be used in juggles, and as a crush.

And don't forget that 3H+K was also changed to this new double-strike move. For some reason a lot of people in vanilla seemed to think Ryu's 3H+K was the same as his 4PK. It wasn't. It didn't even share the same animation. Different animation, different hitbox, different guard properties. Totally different move. A useful one. Also nerfed for no good reason.

Furthermore, I know you were just trying to be concise, but that is a very over-simplified look at the Ryu v Momiji match-up.

To be fair, you're the only real Hayabusa I've fought, Brute. That said, can you add anything yourself?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD