This game's online system frustrates me SO BLEEPING MUCH sometimes.

Argentus

especially against ninjas/christie, who can exploit the hell out of these otherwise situational issues.

Can't punish, stuck in block/stun and ninja jabs beat out everything I can try to punish with.

Can't punish throw because constant mashing means they are never still enough to throw, even when they should be after attacks.

Can't do followups, faster characterse recover from being hit and start their attacks before I've even finished throwing the punch that stunned them.

Can't block, stuck in stun.

Can't dodge or avoid, everything tracks, can't duck under mids, and low sweeps knock you out of the air for some reason.

Once knocked down, lose all options and control of the character due to force techs.

Once bounced or launched, lose all control of character due to near zero gravity and just float around like a pinata for a while.

Can't do wakeups because it keeps making me face AWAY from the opponent when I get up, or teleporting me to the other side of the screen so my controls/inputs are reversed as I get up.

Can't tech roll because opponents mashing means they just track and hit me out of techroll and back onto the ground again.

Or when it makes me tech roll instead of the wakeup I was trying.

All options nullified against mashing, to the point where my only option is to bait low holds by spamming 2p, which seems to be the ONLY thing they don't automatically get to mash through, to bait a low hold gets fucking ridiculous.

What irritates me the most is people going "why dont you do such and such", and I'm yelling, frustrated, "I CAN'T! I CAN'T! I CAN'T MOVE, OR CONTROL MY CHARACTER, AT ALL!

This rage is because I was just fighting a kasumi that was literally just faceroll mashing, and I couldn't do anything, she just GOT AWAY WITH IT due to this bullshit, which is so frustrating. Mashers shouldn't get to lock me out of all options by just rubbing the controller against their face. So much rage right now.

This comes back to the fact that I don't give a flying fuck if I win or lose, what makes me scream in rage is being locked out of my controls with no options. What makes me so angry is being completely unable to do anything, not being able to PLAY the game.

Last edited:

Aven Kujo-Gin

Looks like you just have a bad experience playing the game. That happens to me too, button mashers are pretty annoying, especially if they are playing with Kasumi, Ayane or Christie.

Argentus

Looks like you just have a bad experience playing the game. That happens to me too, button mashers are pretty annoying, especially if they are playing with Kasumi, Ayane or Christie.

Or kokoro/Hitomi. Literally can't do ANYTHING except watch my character eternally cycle through sitdown stuns and techrolls, with me completely unable to participate, as they just keep mashing the same strings over and over.

With the ninjas or christie, its just the fact that they are too damn fast. With Hitomi or Kokoro, its the fact that once they hit you once, its just a neverending flow of stun and force techs, so end of fight on first hit. Ridiculous. And ALL strings are all heights, so no way to crush or avoid any of it. Can't hold em despite how predictable they are, because stuck in stun the entire time. Can't punish em because there's no break in the offense, no opening. Just one long, seemingly neverending string.

Even more irritated because they are just giggling over their mics at how broken the game is that way.

I actually just blew out my voice yelling in frustration. Throats all sore now.

Last edited:

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Can't punish, stuck in block/stun and ninja jabs beat out everything I can try to punish with.

What excactly do you want to punish?

Can't punish throw because constant mashing means they are never still enough to throw, even when they should be after attacks.

If you notice that you're throw punishment get's denied due to mash and online delay, stop trying it and use counter attacks instead. In most cases, you will get the counterhits if you use jabs or your fastest mid.

Can't do follow-ups, faster characterse recover from being hit and start their attacks before I've even finished throwing the punch that stunned them.

Of course, on some connections, the advantage you get out of a stun online compared to offline is like 1:5, but it might also be due to them stagger escaping, which will reduce your advantage.

Do you also SE?

Can't dodge or avoid, everything tracks, can't duck under mids, and low sweeps knock you out of the air for some reason.

Well, certain characters have a lot of tracking moves, where sidestepping won't work. If you get hit a lot, you should hit the lab and collect some information about the character you fought against. This forum will also help you to figure out what a character's weaknesses and strength's are.

Also, you can't duck under mids, because they are mids, lol. Especially real mids won't allow that.

Once knocked down, lose all options and control of the character due to force techs.

Tech-rolling helps, as well as educated guesses after being forced up. Characters like Kasumi or Christie (which you seem to have fought against) do not have the best force techs.

Once bounced or launched, lose all control of character due to near zero gravity and just float around like a pinata for a while.

A bounce does not allow you to control your character in general, same for a launch. Actually, the online gravity is worse as the one offline, which means certain juggle enders won't connect although they should.

Can't do wakeups because it keeps making me face AWAY from the opponent when I get up, or teleporting me to the other side of the screen so my controls/inputs are reversed as I get up.

Can't tech roll because opponents mashing means they just track and hit me out of techroll and back onto the ground again.

When you get teleportet to the other side of the screen, you don't need be be worried about getting forced up. That's good, isn't it?

This rage is because I was just fighting a kasumi that was literally just faceroll mashing, and I couldn't do anything, she just GOT AWAY WITH IT due to this bullshit, which is so frustrating. Mashers shouldn't get to lock me out of all options by just rubbing the controller against their face. So much rage right now.

In general, I recommend not to play people with 1bar and not continue trying it if you've noticed that the connection is not good.

Not sure if this thread was created because you wanted some tips, though.

Argentus

What excactly do you want to punish?

If you notice that you're throw punishment get's denied due to mash and online delay, stop trying it and use counter attacks instead. In most cases, you will get the counterhits if you use jabs or your fastest mid.

Of course, on some connections, the advantage you get out of a stun online compared to offline is like 1:5, but it might also be due to them stagger escaping, which will reduce your advantage.

Do you also SE?

Well, certain characters have a lot of tracking moves, where sidestepping won't work. If you get hit a lot, you should hit the lab and collect some information about the character you fought against. This forum will also help you to figure out what a character's weaknesses and strength's are.

Also, you can't duck under mids, because they are mids, lol. Especially real mids won't allow that.

Tech-rolling helps, as well as educated guesses after being forced up. Characters like Kasumi or Christie (which you seem to have fought against) do not have the best force techs.

A bounce does not allow you to control your character in general, same for a launch. Actually, the online gravity is worse as the one offline, which means certain juggle enders won't connect although they should.

When you get teleportet to the other side of the screen, you don't need be be worried about getting forced up. That's good, isn't it?

In general, I recommend not to play people with 1bar and not continue trying it if you've noticed that the connection is not good.

Not sure if this thread was created because you wanted some tips, though.

I actually do appreciate you trying to help. I was fully expecting the usual flaming and "u just mad cuz you lost" bs.

1) i want to punish their strings. But I can't. By the time I've unblocked and starting trying to throw something out, i'm getting hit again. that or I simply can't due anything to constant stun

2-3) I figured as much. I don't SE much because I don't like mashing. hurts my fingers. I remember back in Raging Blast, where to mash out of stun you had to rotate the thumbstick, oh my god....so just spend the entire match rotating the thumbstick with palm, due to the speed of gameplay...

4) would gladly practice, but I don't know anyone who uses those characters. ALso bs on mids, when I'm down on the ground, either knocked down or just doing a sweep, or way up in the air sailing over head, i'm CLEARLY avoiding the mid either way, but it hits me anyway.

5) tech rolling doesn't help though because the result is the same, they are still mashing strings so I'm just getting up into getting hit again because it won't let me do anything except get hit during the getup animation. So all that happens is I techroll, and get hit while techrolling.

6) I know which is why I hate the entire concept of bouncing or launchers lol.

7) when I'm poofed to the other side, it doesn't help me because while my controls are reversed so I do the wrong moves, the opponent is still rushing down and their character just 180s to continue tracking and rushing me in mid string. So I'm just getting back up into getting hit while my character is doing the wrong move.

8) This was actually the best connection match I've had since I moved into my new place :( Not to say there wasn't lag, but still.

BLah. Appreciate the help, just feel like my hands are tied sometimes.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
1) i want to punish their strings. But I can't. By the time I've unblocked and starting trying to throw something out, i'm getting hit again. that or I simply can't due anything to constant stun

You should check if you are using the correct throws for punishment attempts. A string that is -8 on block is hard to punish online with an i6 throw. Yes, it is stupid, but since you literally agree to the terms of the online realm when entering a lobby, you should just accept that. And, as I said, if throws don't work, use strikes.

2-3) I figured as much. I don't SE much because I don't like mashing. hurts my fingers. I remember back in Raging Blast, where to mash out of stun you had to rotate the thumbstick, oh my god....so just spend the entire match rotating the thumbstick with palm, due to the speed of gameplay...

I really wonder in which way rotating the stick can be considered as mashing, but if it is for you, I'm afraid no one can help you with this problem. SE is an essential technique that is necessary to win matches. You either try doing it or deal with being stunned forever.

4) would gladly practice, but I don't know anyone who uses those characters. ALso bs on mids, when I'm down on the ground, either knocked down or just doing a sweep, or way up in the air sailing over head, i'm CLEARLY avoiding the mid either way, but it hits me anyway.

There are some mids that will hit you, even if you are lying on the ground or jump around while using a low crush. Phase's P+K for eample is a tracking mid punch that beats out almost every evasive move, even special stances like Christie's Jakeiho or Helena's Bokuho. It will also hit you and the ground and force you up when used in combination with a special setup or when you are lying around lazy for too long.

Though you shouldn't be surprised when you get hit by an mid while doing something low in general (because that's the purpose of mids), knowing such special moves would be even better for you.

If you want to practice, you go into the dojo/training mode, not online. There, you can test out every character and check his moves and frame data. Have you ever done the tutorial that was added with 5U?

7) when I'm poofed to the other side, it doesn't help me because while my controls are reversed so I do the wrong moves, the opponent is still rushing down and their character just 180s to continue tracking and rushing me in mid string. So I'm just getting back up into getting hit while my character is doing the wrong move.

Then you should either work on your reaction speed to notice that you shouldn't hit buttons if they are rushing in. Also, using a fast attack like a jab will turn you around automatically. You know that you can also turn around quickly by pressing the opposite direction you want look to twice?

Sounds like you lack heavily on fundamentals and knowledge about the game mechanics. I'd rather recommend you to go into the training mode and play the AI until you know the characters at least partially.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
especially against ninjas/christie, who can exploit the hell out of these otherwise situational issues.

Can't do followups, faster characterse recover from being hit and start their attacks before I've even finished throwing the punch that stunned them.

All options nullified against mashing, to the point where my only option is to bait low holds by spamming 2p, which seems to be the ONLY thing they don't automatically get to mash through, to bait a low hold gets fucking ridiculous.

What irritates me the most is people going "why dont you do such and such", and I'm yelling, frustrated, "I CAN'T! I CAN'T! I CAN'T MOVE, OR CONTROL MY CHARACTER, AT ALL!

This comes back to the fact that I don't give a flying fuck if I win or lose, what makes me scream in rage is being locked out of my controls with no options. What makes me so angry is being completely unable to do anything, not being able to PLAY the game.

Did you recently play online for the first time or something? This is more or less how it is on both ends of the spectrum.

Argentus

You should check if you are using the correct throws for punishment attempts. A string that is -8 on block is hard to punish online with an i6 throw. Yes, it is stupid, but since you literally agree to the terms of the online realm when entering a lobby, you should just accept that. And, as I said, if throws don't work, use strikes.

I really wonder in which way rotating the stick can be considered as mashing, but if it is for you, I'm afraid no one can help you with this problem. SE is an essential technique that is necessary to win matches. You either try doing it or deal with being stunned forever.

There are some mids that will hit you, even if you are lying on the ground or jump around while using a low crush. Phase's P+K for eample is a tracking mid punch that beats out almost every evasive move, even special stances like Christie's Jakeiho or Helena's Bokuho. It will also hit you and the ground and force you up when used in combination with a special setup or when you are lying around lazy for too long.

Though you shouldn't be surprised when you get hit by an mid while doing something low in general (because that's the purpose of mids), knowing such special moves would be even better for you.

If you want to practice, you go into the dojo/training mode, not online. There, you can test out every character and check his moves and frame data. Have you ever done the tutorial that was added with 5U?

Then you should either work on your reaction speed to notice that you shouldn't hit buttons if they are rushing in. Also, using a fast attack like a jab will turn you around automatically. You know that you can also turn around quickly by pressing the opposite direction you want look to twice?

Sounds like you lack heavily on fundamentals and knowledge about the game mechanics. I'd rather recommend you to go into the training mode and play the AI until you know the characters at least partially.
You misunderstand.

Like getting up facing the wrong way? I know how to turn around. But turning around is not an option because I'm not even standing up yet. I'm talking when I try to do some kind of a wakeup, and it flips me so I get up and do the oppositw inputs moves, and they continue attacking me through my reverse input move. There is literally no chance to manually turn around.

Its not a matter of "don't know how", its an issue of "unable to", as I said in first post.

I totally concede on the issues of SE and mids though. The former I can't bring myself to mash, the latter I keep making the mistake if trying to apply logic lol..

Also I can't practice against the AI because core fighters.

Did you recently play online for the first time or something? This is more or less how it is on both ends of the spectrum.
No it just got especially infuriating last night because I know what I was doing but just. .nothing was working.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
You misunderstand.

Like getting up facing the wrong way? I know how to turn around. But turning around is not an option because I'm not even standing up yet. I'm talking when I try to do some kind of a wakeup, and it flips me so I get up and do the oppositw inputs moves, and they continue attacking me through my reverse input move. There is literally no chance to manually turn around.

I'm afraid I really do not understand. Do you have a replay of such situation?

Also I can't practice against the AI because core fighters.

Good moment to think about buying the full game isn't it? That's another point where no on can help you with (beside bying it for you). You either have the characters available to test them out, or you have to deal with being clueless about them. Looking at their frame data sheet won't give you all information.

However, watching tournament replays could also help you because that's where you can see how certain things can be dealt with in a visual way. Often with additional commentary.

No it just got especially infuriating last night because I know what I was doing but just. .nothing was working.

Nothing bad about to venting your anger, just try not to create a new thread about the same subject every time you feel like doing it.

Argentus

Don't play DOA online in its current state. It isn't necessary with Last Round coming out in nearly 2 months.
Normally, I'd say "online is my only way to play DOA", but as of right now, due to working with wireless outside the main house, I'm unable to even do that. For whatever reason, the Playstation 3 constantly gives huge lag spikes (PC and Xbox have no issues), so matches will frequently freeze for 3-5 seconds at a time, so not many people willing to play me at the moment.

ALthough the matches that caused this rant were completely lag free for whatever reason.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Find someone that likes the game. It wasn't easy for me. I spent a lot of time at my arcade trying to recruit players. Everyone that I got to play the game said that they enjoyed it, but I never witnessed one of them commit any real time to learn the game.

Then I got my bf into it and stopped giving a fuck because now I play primarily with him. And it almost hurts how much we play together.

Argentus

Find someone that likes the game. It wasn't easy for me. I spent a lot of time at my arcade trying to recruit players. Everyone that I got to play the game said that they enjoyed it, but I never witnessed one of them commit any real time to learn the game.

Then I got my bf into it and stopped giving a fuck because now I play primarily with him. And it almost hurts how much we play together.
well i'm single so i'm fucked lol

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Keep looking Argentus. There is someone within a 10 mile radius who is playing that game if you are somewhere in SoCal. I'm sure people dont hat this game as much there either.

Zack117

Standard Donor
Don't play DOA online in its current state. It isn't necessary with Last Round coming out in nearly 2 months.
The answer to my question may be obvious but why should the current state of DoA online change with the release of LR?
I haven't heard any words from TN so far on changing the netcode of the game or so. Perhaps I missed something.

KING JAIMY

The answer to my question may be obvious but why should the current state of DoA online change with the release of LR?
I haven't heard any words from TN so far on changing the netcode of the game or so. Perhaps I missed something.
That's Team Ninja for you. Always seeing dollar signs in their eyes and focusing on DLC, instead of improving the netcode. However, they admitted that there are problems with the netcode. It remains unclear if they have done anything about it.

TheRealCoxinator

How to avoid all of these problems.
If they're mashing just go full offensive and they can't do anything about it. Also don't have pizza box internet connection. That's a nono.

Zack117

Standard Donor
I have yet to join a lobby without major lag issues and the signal bars mean nothing right now it seems
So far my online experience has been much much better on ps4 than it was on ps3. Had just a couple of matches so far that were terrible and unplayable in terms of connection/lag. Maybe I'm lucky or it is just me,but I feel like they really did improve the netcode.

Mokyu

So far my online experience has been much much better on ps4 than it was on ps3. Had just a couple of matches so far that were terrible and unplayable in terms of connection/lag. Maybe I'm lucky or it is just me,but I feel like they really did improve the netcode.
Not sure how the difference might be, but when I played DOA5 original on xbox 360, the connection was perfect. Very little difference from it and playing offline it seemed. My PS4 is connected wirelessly but with 100% signal and no packet loss and not all the ports are opened for DOA atm, but that shouldn't be the cause of the lag I'm experiencing in most online lobbies

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD