Characters Thoughts on the ninjas?

Yaguar

Mila and Leon. I can slam Ryu out with overheads sometimes.

I recall :3::H+K: working for some of his stuff but having to make the choice to block or flip as he arrived above me (whether it was grab or not). Been a while since I Mila'd.

Davey2100

Lots of this information is just so inaccurate.

Damn, no one here seriously realizes just how strong Ayane's keep out game really is. Any player can create mind games when applying there character tools appropriately.

Each "ninja" excels at what they are suppose to be good at. None of them are weak, none of them are OP/godlike/broken either. They never have been.

This misconception players have in DOA5U is really fucking stupid.

"Oh Ayane is bad in 5U now"

Let's talk about this for a second;

Okay so let's see here, this character's match ups from DOA5 Vanilla have not changed coming into 5U. They are the same as they were in Vanilla. They are either in her favor, fair, or pretty even. Ayane has one bad match up in DOA5/U. Rachel isn't even a problem for this character, neither is Jacky or Sarah.

All of her best tools and range tools are still there and are still going to fuck your life up when the player behind her is playing her well. 3H+K is -3 on block now, meaning she cannot frame trap you anymore. But you cannot punish her with anything anyway so it doesn't matter.

Her damage output is still very high, 64T got buffed against characters with back turn parries. P4P is wrecking your shit at range and in CQC and you cannot do anything about it. She still has nifty little frame traps that are hard to deal with. She still puts you in stun > launch 50/50 situations. 4P is still incredible. Her keep out game is better than it was in Vanilla. She has Korean Back Dashing now (a huge buff for her).

Tell me how Ayane is bad in DOA5U, exactly.

Ryu Hayabusa is extremely versatile and can be played successfully in more than one way (Master is the best example of this character).

Hayate is very solid in 5U and his range and mobility are quite good.

Kasumi has very good speed and damage output.

Momiji has very solid damage output and a solid ranged whiff punisher and pressure if she gets it started.

Saying "the ninjas are good at mind games" sounds way too vague because all of them have very solid tools and they work well for what they are intended for. None are heavily reliant on "gimmicks" or "tricks", and if that is all players see, then players need to lab it up a lot more and actually study something.

calm down.

i have had Ryu's ninpo grab get me at some really weird times (the best was when lei fang was mid air doing her ->H+K then he comes down and i get hi-counter grab damage :()

d3v

calm down.

i have had Ryu's ninpo grab get me at some really weird times (the best was when lei fang was mid air doing her ->H+K then he comes down and i get hi-counter grab damage :()
Online? Then that's most likely your problem.

SilverForte

All of his teleport attacks whiff if you freestep, his back teleport is really slow to recover, and if you see him rush you with torpedo or something just block.

Drake Aldan

Why don't we talk about how to deal wih it online?
Online isn't real.

If you filtered all of your opponents to 5 bars and these guys actually lived 1-2 hours away from you you might have a point.

Might.

When the difference between a hi-counter hold and dying is one frame it completely invalidates the whole thing.

Online is nothing but theory fighter, because you have to know the game deeply enough to recognize when the lag is getting in your way and not the match, and not let it affect you or your muscle memory- but of course it will affect you because you will naturally be drawn to options that lead to victory, which may be utterly useless offline. (This is why some people completely swear off online.)

Now don't think I'm being condescending to you or anything. I'm just being real.
I might point you to this topic, where I asked for help, and the first response was "you're playing online".
And I pretty much had to confirm for myself my own question. (Making the topic itself useless...)

You wanna play online, don't expect any help. Make best friends with that record/replay button, 'cause you'll be with him for a while.

Last edited:

Tenryuga

I just came in here to point out that DOA online is a distortion of the real game and I would appreciate it if players didn't complain or whine about things so unnecessary nerfs occur in the future. I'll give my thoughts on the ninjas too.

Kasumi - Extremely unsafe but she is great at applying DOA's psuedo pressure (free cancels and delays) and scoring counterhits due to her speed. She also has moderate damage output. At the points one would lauch with her you take 25% or more. Her throw damage is also excellent. People seem to think she's ass in 5U but I dissagree. She is very much viable just she lost the tools that allowed her to get massive damage for free which being a Kasumi player I am in agreement with since it is fair. She does have issues that need to be addressed that most players don't know of because they don't lab it out or face good Kasumi players often. Almost all of them abuse her online frame traps that allow her to avoid throw punishment like 1PP and 4PP or blitz people with 66PP and 66KK. They don't even work her guaranteed stuns or 236T juggles (understandable online because shit just drops.) Even oboro would suffice but they don't use that either.

Hayate - This guy is godlike at footsies and mid range combat. He's no joke up close either and he has great grabs too. Very underrated and underappreciated for one of these two reasons: 1. He isn't Hayabusa 2. He isn't DOA4 Hayate but regardless he is strong in this game. Notable flaws are his unsafety and sub-par strings that offer no good mixup (on hit his mixups either knockback or provide small frame advantage. Everything else is a mid punch and unsafety on block.) forcing him to resort to free cancels. As @TakedaZX would say #BuffHayate. #BuffEin too plz.

Hayabusa - I have no idea how this guy is supposed to be played because I've seen many different playstyles. Just avoid misuse of the gimmicky teleport stance. I'm sure @Brute would say land 5 Izuna's at the minumum and on levels with cliffs Izuna drop off all cliffs. Hayabusa just isn't Hayabusa without the Izuna drop.

Ayane - She is a bitch. Her juggles hit mad hard and her keepaway is miles ahead of everybody in this game and her whiff punishment is strong. In close range you better hope you have a good mid because her 2P pressure is mad annoying. Even then she can just adv mid P hold your mid and have you watch as she takes 25% life. Douchbaggiest tactics are P > 8P or P4P > 8P. Poke somebody just so you can get back into ideal range lmao it's so cool. Such strong tools that are underused. Like damn. She is arguably the best ninja in this game but I'm honestly not surprised people don't see it because the only player that uses her as she is intended to be played is @iHajinShinobi. Most other players just spin like crackheads which is pretty entertaining to watch lol but not all that effective if you don't know why you are spinning in the first place.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

^when Ryu is using his legendary dragon sword or any other weapon(staff, bow, nunchaku, demon swords, two handed swords, scythes, dual katana, and his variety of ninpo techniques) he is the most badass ninja. Else his kicks are pretty weak aside from setting up his execution moves. I have never seen him use hand to hand combat vs a fiend either so that could explain a lot of it. Same thing could be said with the other ninjas but I just suppose they are better than him in hand to hand combat or that the designers can't directly import that version of ryu cause he would be killing everyone.
Your argument is invalid cause IZUNA
He also has other good/cool moves like handstand moves, his air grab, 4PK (and other renditions), WR H+K, 214P, 7K, 4P+K, 6KP, Ongoyin 6P+K, Ongoyin PP[P] and more.
And if he were to use his weapons and more ninpo techniques in DOA, it would just be unfair. Look at what happened when Team Ninja decided to make 4P+K a ninpo projectile in DOA Dimesnions. :rolleyes: Like others have said, the teleports are already gimmicky enough, though Ongoyin 8P and 8T have legitimate use.

Argentus

...I just pictured Ryu with his hanstand in ninja Gaiden.

Id.just run around on my hands all the time. Look out, doku, here comes lanky kong!

Argentus

Online isn't real.

If you filtered all of your opponents to 5 bars and these guys actually lived 1-2 hours away from you you might have a point.

Might.

When the difference between a hi-counter hold and dying is one frame it completely invalidates the whole thing.

Online is nothing but theory fighter, because you have to know the game deeply enough to recognize when the lag is getting in your way and not the match, and not let it affect you or your muscle memory- but of course it will affect you because you will naturally be drawn to options that lead to victory, which may be utterly useless offline. (This is why some people completely swear off online.)

Now don't think I'm being condescending to you or anything. I'm just being real.
I might point you to this topic, where I asked for help, and the first response was "you're playing online".
And I pretty much had to confirm for myself my own question. (Making the topic itself useless...)

You wanna play online, don't expect any help. Make best friends with that record/replay button, 'cause you'll be with him for a while.

Okay, well, online is my only option, so does that mean i just shouldn't play at all? Online ain't perfect but I gotta learn based on online play.

Just saying, gotta work with what ya got.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD